• We are aware of the performance issues with the forum. These are due to problems with Comcast's shared lines in the Columbia, PA area. On December 15, we signed a contract to bring a dedicated fiber line to the forum servers. It should take somewhere between 30 and 90 days to install. Thank you for your patience.

Post Your H. Endler Clocks Here

Hrve

Apr 5, 2020
Country
Hello. I have an H Endler&co Vienese wall clock serial number 79593. I have tried to contact you all before with little success. I do have photos ready to send but need a little help to attach. Than you Harvey

Steven Thornberry

User Administrator
NAWCC Member
Jan 15, 2004
Here and there
Country
Hello. I have an H Endler&co Vienese wall clock serial number 79593. I have tried to contact you all before with little success. I do have photos ready to send but need a little help to attach. Than you Harvey
If the photos are on your computer, use the "From PC" button to upload them to a post.

Hrve

Apr 5, 2020
Country
Thank you.. There's success.

I would love to know the approx year and anything else you tell me and anything you would like to know for your records

IMG_20200407_185300.jpg IMG_20200407_185247.jpg

Steven Thornberry

User Administrator
NAWCC Member
Jan 15, 2004
Here and there
Country
Sorry included another clock and I have mire
I have removed the tall case clock. If you have additional pictures of the wall clock, please post them. Pictures of the front and back of the movement, if possible, would also be good to have.

Hrve

Apr 5, 2020
Country
Have just taken some more pictures. Please ask if you require more. Just tried three times to load five more pictures and there not attaching, any clues what I'm doing wrong. Thanks.

Hrve

Apr 5, 2020
Country
Found out the problem. U can't load five at a time, I'll send them through now

Hrve

Apr 5, 2020
Country
Thank you all very much.

I am allowed to ask about the other clicks I have.

Hrve

Apr 5, 2020
Country
Thanks again for your quick response and information. The approximate date of my clock and the other information posted on your site has added to my clocks history which I thank you all for.

My next question is after watching a few videos on YouTube about Endler wall clocks and Gustav Becker it was quite evident that all the wall clocks doors were opening left to right, where mine opens right to left. Is there a reason for this or have I got an odd one. Thank you again.

Tatyana

Jan 2, 2016
Saint Petersburg
Country
Thanks again for your quick response and information. The approximate date of my clock and the other information posted on your site has added to my clocks history which I thank you all for.

My next question is after watching a few videos on YouTube about Endler wall clocks and Gustav Becker it was quite evident that all the wall clocks doors were opening left to right, where mine opens right to left. Is there a reason for this or have I got an odd one. Thank you again.

Your case is made much later than movement. Perhaps this case is a non-factory production.

This is how cases with close serial numbers look like:

77_421.jpg 85_958.jpg 75_462_.jpg 76_380.jpg 76_440.JPG

BR, Tatyana

Hrve

Apr 5, 2020
Country
Thank you Tatyana for your response. That's more information for the clocks history.

John_UK_FL

New User
Apr 30, 2020
Country
Hello,

Clock newbie here! I've inherited an HE & Co wall clock, which used to hang on the wall of my family home in England as a child. It's not in great condition, but has sentimental value. I believe my family have owned it since new. I'd be really interested in dating it. It has serial number 144726. I haven't seen any other HE & Co serial numbers this high, and there is no mention of Becker on the clock (who I understand took over HE & Co in 1899). Does this mean that the clock is likely to be late 1890's? The clock now hangs on my wall in Florida, having been shipped from the UK. I managed to reassemble it OK, but there is a slight wobble in the pendulum and it stops after about 10 minutes. Would anyone have any advice about this?

I also have received, soon to be unboxed, a grandfather clock that also stood in my childhood home described on a 1979 insurance valuation (it's amazing the documents we have been finding) as "Early 18th century Marquetry and Walnut Longcase Clock with 8-day striking movement, inscribed John Stokes, Bewdley, brass and silvered dial 6'10" high circa 1720-30". If anyone can point me towards any good resources to help me as I work on reassembling and running this clock it would be appreciated! Also I'm very interested about the history.

Regards,

John

wall clock 1.jpg wall clock 2.jpg

Tatyana

Jan 2, 2016
Saint Petersburg
Country
Hello,

Clock newbie here! I've inherited an HE & Co wall clock, which used to hang on the wall of my family home in England as a child. It's not in great condition, but has sentimental value. I believe my family have owned it since new. I'd be really interested in dating it. It has serial number 144726. I haven't seen any other HE & Co serial numbers this high, and there is no mention of Becker on the clock (who I understand took over HE & Co in 1899). Does this mean that the clock is likely to be late 1890's?...
Hi John!

Schmidt's "Lexicon" refers to the bankruptcy of Endler in 1893.The largest serial number in my database is 160_493.

160_493_ (2).jpg

There is a movement 144_728, it has an additional signature of A. Eppner.

c8708b984e3ca89236d7d1812382.jpg 238dab87460c9f533a0ef41cf571.jpg 479117fc44af9a30c2afcbda4a3e.jpg

About the firm A. Eppner it is known that in 1889 it was still working (1845, noch tatig 1889).
I believe the movement of Your clock is around 1891.

BR, Tatyana

tarant

NAWCC Member
Jul 6, 2008
Wroclaw
Country
Region
This signature is fake IMO. Eppner family never had any business in Glashutte. Beat scale is probably original and older than movement.

Reactions: Tatyana

John_UK_FL

New User
Apr 30, 2020
Country
Tatyana - many thanks for the information. It's great to see another example just 2 serial numbers away from mine. It does seem a bit strange to have Eppner written on one but not the other. But it's good to know that we probably have the date known to within a few years.

Anthony Rowan

Aug 26, 2020
Country
I bought a H.Endler clock about 3 years ago. Here is a photo of the clock. I will remove the movement to show you the number when I get around to it. The finials have been removed, but for me it does not detract from the finish of the clock which does not look out of place in a modern home.

Tony.

20201031_133414.jpg

bruce linde

ADMIN / MODERATOR
NAWCC Member
Donor
Nov 13, 2011
oakland, ca.
clockhappy.com
Country
Region
I bought a H.Endler clock about 3 years ago. Here is a photo of the clock. I will remove the movement to show you the number when I get around to it. The finials have been removed, but for me it does not detract from the finish of the clock which does not look out of place in a modern home.
like it... and personally don't miss the finials. :)

as far as 'when i get around to it'... what could be more important?!?!? looking forward to seeing more photos....

Yahagi

Dec 16, 2019
Country
Region
I have read the thread ...
In my opinion, a large part of Endler's property was transferred / purchased in some form by Borussia. Most likely in the second half of 1893. In my opinion, nothing was left for the time of 1899. I don't know what happened to the buildings.

A very interesting clock was published here.

It is worth paying attention to:

- foot of the escapement arm
- numerator font
- hands of the clock

The same clock hands are used on the Endler 158 878

JHubby numbered Endler to 164,500. I haven't seen a number that high. The highest one is the one in the link

These traits no longer belong to Endler. I am adding one more interesting mechanism. Please have a look:

Whose is he?

And a clipping from German documents. If JTD could translate - it would be great.

:)

2014-04-09-005.jpg 2014-04-09-006.jpg Endler_1896_01.jpg

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country
And a clipping from German documents. If JTD could translate - it would be great.
Your wish is my command! The clipping says:

BANKRUPTCY HEARING on the assets of:
1. H. Endler & Co. OHG., in Polsnitz
2. Case manufacturer Wilhelm Vogt, Freiburg in Schlesien
3. Case manufacturer Friedrich Gillwald , Freiburg in Schlesien
4. Businessman Gustav Kitzig in Koenigszelt
5. The one-time landowner Gustav Ernst Snr. in Freiburg i/Schlesien.

A meeting of creditors will be held on 13th November 1896 at 10 o'clock in the morning, in Room 6 of the court house here.
Matter to be dealt with: Appointing a new bankruptcy administrator, because the person previously appointed no longer seems to be suitable, due to irregularities which have occurred.

Freiburg in Schlesien 15th October 1896

I have a feeling I translated this notice, or a very similar one, a while back, but I may be wrong.

JTD

Yahagi

Dec 16, 2019
Country
Region
Thanks a lot :) (it was a heartfelt request, not a command: D)
I did not find this note, hence my request. But maybe he's already at NAWCC somewhere

This is what I had the impression that I have not fully understood what is written here by now. Anyway - in 1896 there were still attempts to recover something from Endler's property. So far, I have not found any information when the proceedings ended.

new2clocks

NAWCC Member
Apr 25, 2005
Pennsylvania
Country
Region
In my opinion, a large part of Endler's property was transferred / purchased in some form by Borussia. Most likely in the second half of 1893.
You may be correct with the 1893 date.

Zepernik states:

It's known that the firm went into bankruptcy in 1890 and was advertised for sale. But as H-H Schmid notes, it's not known exactly whether they were taken over or what.

But I have found a note in an 1893 German trade journal (AJU) that the property of what was the Uhrenfabrik H. Endler & Company of Polsnitz (about 2 miles outside Freiburg) was being settled. So that seems that by then.

No mention as to who may have purchased the assets or what assets were sold.

This is what I had the impression that I have not fully understood what is written here by now. Anyway - in 1896 there were still attempts to recover something from Endler's property. So far, I have not found any information when the proceedings ended.
The excerpt that JTD translated tells us only that the entity Endler (and those four other firms mentioned) were still in bankruptcy from a legal perspective and that some type of "assets" were yet to be disposed. We cannot infer from the excerpt that there were any physical assets that had not yet been sold as of October, 1896. All physical assets could have been disposed of prior to 1896, leaving only intangible assets, such as trademarks, or other assets, such as accounts receivable, to which the creditors would be entitled.

We do not know for sure what type of assets were yet to have been disposed of in 1896. :)

Regards.

Last edited:
Reactions: Yahagi

Yahagi

Dec 16, 2019
Country
Region
That's right. What I showed - these are just indications that Borussia took over some of Endler's assets. If there are more movements made by Borussia, but with Endler's signature ... or clocks that look like Endler from the end of production, but have hour hands like in Borussia - it will show that maybe something more happened.
Unfortunately, I did not have any of these mechanisms in my hand to be able to assess more precisely.

One more detail. From mid-1894, clocks are produced by Kappel & Co. Then the team that has been on the RUF Borussia board (management board) appears there. From the very beginning, Kappel uses a signature that is essentially the same as Endler.
Coincidence ?

In my opinion, Borussia may have acquired it a bit earlier, around 1893
It's a theory for now. There is little evidence that this is exactly what happened.

1894_RejestrSpoldzielni.jpg Endler_1896_02.jpg Endler_1902_01.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnfn70
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller