• We are aware of the performance issues with the forum. These are due to problems with Comcast's shared lines in the Columbia, PA area. On December 15, we signed a contract to bring a dedicated fiber line to the forum servers. It should take somewhere between 30 and 90 days to install. Thank you for your patience.

Post Your H. Endler Clocks Here

Scottie-TX

Deceased
Apr 6, 2004
Mesquite, TX
Country
Region
Re: vienna reg movement ID

Very elegant clock. Congrats! My guess would be fourth quarter, 18s.

Kim St.Dennis Sr.

NAWCC Member
Deceased
Mar 20, 2003
Los Angeles
Country
Region
Re: vienna reg movement ID

Hi
From the Lexikon Duetschen Uhreindustrie 1850 to 1980.

[FONT=&quot]H. Endler & Co.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Based: 1865 bankruptcy 1893[/FONT]
Company headquarters: Freiburg/Schlesien Germany

Production: Largely clocks of all kinds in own housings

What the biography seems to say is that is the firm Endler & Co.- was established in 1865 - Gustav Becker was formed of former colleagues of the firm as a productive union.

Zu-Astarti

Feb 24, 2012
Anytown USA
Country
H. Endler Vienna Regulator

Well, my neighbor asked me to look at her Vienna regulator. She said it would only run for a few minutes, then stop. She had already taken it to a local jewelry store. They kept it for a while, gave it the Duncan Swish, over-oiled it, pronounced it fixed and charged her $175. Got it back home and same thing. Runs a few minutes then stops.

Took me two seconds to fix. At some point the dial assembly has taken a knock and skewed the mounting posts just enough to put it slightly off center in relation to the movement. Turns out the slots on both sides of the hour hand tube had big burrs sticking up just enough to foul one side of the hole in the dial. Cleaned them up with a small file and it JUST clears the hole. Now it's running like a million bucks.

Anyway, my real question is about the serial number on the back of the movement. It's an Endler. Is it possible to date it based on that number? I apologize if this is a repeat question. I couldn't find much of anything online and I didn't see any other thread here on the topic.

Serial number is 1230452...

Attachments

Richard T.

Deceased
Deceased
Apr 7, 2005
Country
Region
Re: H. Endler Vienna Regulator

Nice clock. I am not aware of any serial number cross reference that would allow the dating of these clocks. The firm H. Endler & Co. was in business from 1865 until bankruptcy in 1893.

What happened to the dial (chapter ring) it looks like paper with a porcelain center.

Best,

Richard T.

Zu-Astarti

Feb 24, 2012
Anytown USA
Country

Thanks, Richard. That's all I really wanted to know--between 1865 and 1893. Works for me.

Yep, that's an old paper chapter ring. I have no history on it. My neighbor bought it from a friend of hers some time ago. The movement is in very nice condition, but the case has been knocked around quite a bit. I'm guessing the original chapter ring (which is probably underneath there) was damaged in the same accident that bent the mounting posts.

John Hubby

Senior Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Life Member
Sep 7, 2000
The Woodlands, TX
Country
Region

Oren, Richard, and all, I've put together a preliminary dating correlation for Endler clocks based on other discussions here and in cosultation with Doug Stevenson before he passed earlier this year.

Based on the serial number this clock was made in 1889. Even though Endler went bankrupt in 1893, it is believed they continued to make some clocks as late as 1895. What remained of the company was absorbed in the Gustav Becker merger of June 1899.

This is a particularly nice example, too bad what happened to the dial chapter ring.

Richard T.

Deceased
Deceased
Apr 7, 2005
Country
Region

Oren, Richard, and all, I've put together a preliminary dating correlation for Endler clocks based on other discussions here and in cosultation with Doug Stevenson before he passed earlier this year.

Based on the serial number this clock was made in 1889. Even though Endler went bankrupt in 1893, it is believed they continued to make some clocks as late as 1895. What remained of the company was absorbed in the Gustav Becker merger of June 1899.

This is a particularly nice example, too bad what happened to the dial chapter ring.
Thanks very much John. I wasn't aware that you (or anyone) was working on that.

Best,

Richard T.

clockman123

Jan 15, 2013
North Carolina
Country
Region
Just bought this and need some help. I recently discovered my passion for old clocks and I need help with info on this clock.
It is a Marke Schutz HE Co. I have read as much as I can find, but I need to put it into operation once it is cleaned up. How do I find out what pendulum length and what size wieghts to use.
Thanks in advance,
Tony

18.jpg 17.jpg 16.jpg 15.jpg 14.jpg 13.jpg 12.jpg

Richard T.

Deceased
Deceased
Apr 7, 2005
Country
Region
Re: Marke Schutz HE Co

Hello and welcome,

Schutz Marke is German for trademark. The movement was made by H. Endler. The experts will be along with more information.

Mikrolisk

Feb 16, 2011
Germany
www.mikrolisk.de
Country
Region

"Schutz Marke" means a registered trade mark, like "Depose(e)". H. Endler was a regulator maker from Freiburg in Silesia. This trade mark here from him was registered in 1877.

Andreas

Scottie-TX

Deceased
Apr 6, 2004
Mesquite, TX
Country
Region

First, CLOCKMAN, WELCOME!
Welcome to a GREAT buncha guys 'n gals that love clocks and those who ask questions about 'em.
Next, pendulum length. Theoretical pendulum length can be derived with some simple math involving the count of teeth and pinions of the timeside. This will produce a figure somewhat shorter than the ACTUAL length. My experience with these has been typically they are either apx. 25 or 27 inches from suspension post to bottom of reg. nut below bob. If ya don't like math, put it on a teststand and make a test pendulum about 27" long. Let it run and raise the bob to speed it up. Lower to slow it. You'll be VERY close in a day or two.
Typical weights for these is about three pounds, both sides. If it requires substantially more, there likely is a malfunction in the movement. G'Luck matey and enjoy. Viennas are a LOT of fun.

soaringjoy

Feb 12, 2009
Germany, North Rhine-Westphalia
Country
Region

Welcome to the message board, Clockman.

Some history?

Endler was founded in Freiburg, Silesia, by former workers of Gustv Becker in 1865.
Although they were considered to be the second largest manufacturer in Freiburg,
exporting to Russia, Sweden and the U.S., they had to close down by 1893.
Dissolvement of the company took until ca. 1896.

Lexikon der Deutschen Uhrenindustrie 1850 - 1980 by H.-H. Schmid

Last edited by a moderator:

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008

The weights would be around 2 1/2 pounds (good place to start). Usually lead filled brass cylinders. Diameter has to be large enough to accommodate the correct amount of weight and small enough to allow about 1/4" between the two.

You can use any style pendulum you like. Most would be thin wood sticks with thin brass disk, some would be gridiron styles. The gridiron arrangement will be longer than the simple stick/bob arrangement.

You don't mention a case? The case can be the determining factor on replacing the missing pieces.

Willie X

Scottie-TX

Deceased
Apr 6, 2004
Mesquite, TX
Country
Region

As WILLIE suggests - your choice but typically these had a simple disk bob at least 5" dia. Often zinc or steel backed, they usually weigh about a half pound. Two piece, brass backed bobs are the earliest and most coveted of Vienna bobs. Grids were used but were not common. They came later with springwound imitations and had the ubiquitous R/A small bob.

John Hubby

Staff member
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Life Member
Sep 7, 2000
The Woodlands, TX
Country
Region

Just bought this and need some help. I recently discovered my passion for old clocks and I need help with info on this clock.
It is a Marke Schutz HE Co. I have read as much as I can find, but I need to put it into operation once it is cleaned up. How do I find out what pendulum length and what size wieghts to use.
Thanks in advance,
Tony
Tony, welcome to the NAWCC Message Board and thanks for posting your inquiry and the photos of your H. Endler movement. Jurgen has already described a brief history of the company, one of the several "children" companies formed in Freiburg by ex-employees of the original Gustav Becker company. The movements made by Endler and the others in Freiburg (Germania, Concordia, Willmann, et al) were quite similar in design and construction and sometimes not easy to tell one from the other especially if a logo is missing or there is some other lack of identity. They are often confused with GB movements of the same vintage, however the individual features are sufficiently different that when one has seen enough examples of each one they can usually be identified even when there is a question about the logo or other stampings on the movement.

The nominal pendulum length for all these vienna regulator style wall clocks was about the same, around 64 cm from the suspension to the bottom tip of the rating adjustment rod. You can experiment using a simple thin wood rod about 75 cm long, and tape a weight of about one pound at about 55 cm from the top. Start the clock, then adjust the weight up or down as needed until the clock runs to time. The correct pendulum length will be about 7 cm below the center of the weight, you can then purchase a suitable pendulum assembly including the hook, rod, bob, and rating rod from one of the usual parts suppliers such as Timesavers or Merritt's. Finding an old pendulum would take a while but still be possible.

My present estimate of the age of your movement is that it was made about 1880 based on the serial number, but that could move a year or two up or down as more clocks are documented and added to my meager (now 11 clocks) database. I'm attaching a photo of an Endler that was made the same year as yours so you can see a typical case of that period. There were also early Altdeutsche designs starting to appear but this style was the more usual.

73049 Front.jpg

Your interest in restoring your movement and finding all the appropriate other parts is to be congratulated, do keep us posted on your progress.

clockman123

Jan 15, 2013
North Carolina
Country
Region

hi,
Thanks for your post to my earlrier post.
You are very helpful. I have a couple of questions if you dont mind. The movemnet that I have will not allow for hanging pendulum rod directly on suspension rod. How can I make something to get started. This type rod should be the type that hangs in the back of the case.
Thanks

Tinker Dwight

Oct 11, 2010
Calif. USA

Yes, the pendulum should hang from a separate bracket.
The piece coming from the clock movement is called a crutch.
Tinker Dwight

John Hubby

Staff member
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Life Member
Sep 7, 2000
The Woodlands, TX
Country
Region

hi,
Thanks for your post to my earlier post.
You are very helpful. I have a couple of questions if you dont mind. The movement that I have will not allow for hanging pendulum rod directly on suspension rod. How can I make something to get started. This type rod should be the type that hangs in the back of the case.
Thanks
Tony, you will need to have some way to hang the movement and pendulum against a wall or the like.

I don't have a photo but I can describe a very simple test stand you can make with stuff from Home Depot or other big box store:

One piece of good flat pine board, 1x6, 36 inches long (a piece of good 3/4 inch plywood the same size will also work).
Two metal angle braces 6x6 inches
One piece 3/8 inch diameter dowel rod about 2 inches long.

Place the angle braces about 10 inches down from one end of the pine board. Let's call this the upper end of the test stand. Set them just far enough apart side to side so they will support the movement with about 1/2 inch of overlap on each side of the plates. Screw them to the pine board, make sure they are level side to side.

Use a saw to slit one end of the dowel rod by about 3/4 inch along its centerline, the width of the cut should be about the thickness of a normal suspension spring upper block. Use a rasp or other tool to make a "flat" on one side of the slit length, leaving 2/3 of the dowel rod diameter. This will provide a rest for the suspension spring support pin, with the block sitting in the slit. Drill a 3/8 inch hole on the centerline of the upper end of the test stand, 7 inches above the angle braces. Insert the 3/8 inch dowel rod with wood glue, make sure the flat is facing to the top and the slit is parallel with the centerline of the stand.

Drill another 3/8 inch hole on the centerline about 1 inch down from the upper end of the test stand, this will be where you can hang the test stand on a wall. If you want to screw it into the wall, just do so with two screws one top and one bottom. You can also clamp the bottom end of the test stand in a heavy bench vice or wood bench clamp if you have that available.

You can now put a suspension unit in the slot of the dowel and hang your pendulum. The movement can be positioned on the angle braces and centered so the crutch pin will be in line with the centerline of the stand and inserted in the slot of the pendulum rod. The movement can be tied in place on the angle braces using nylon ties around the movement lower corner posts. Now you can hang the weights and commence your rating test.

John Hubby

Staff member
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Life Member
Sep 7, 2000
The Woodlands, TX
Country
Region

Although we have only a few threads or posts referring to H. Endler, I believe it would be beneficial to our overall knowledge of this maker's clocks to have them combined in a topical thread, "Post Your H. Endler Clocks Here". With that in mind, I am re-titling this thread as the newest one related to that maker, and will be merging earlier thread herein.

clockman123

Jan 15, 2013
North Carolina
Country
Region

Hi,
Thanks for all the info. I know what you are talking about now. (Test Stand). That is what I will do. I have looked all over the internet and I can not find a lower production number than my movement. (70592). There are a couple of H. Endler clocks for sale on ebay now, but the numbers are higher. Also my movement does not have a (second hand) and most others do. If any one knows of a picture of a clock with an early movement let me know please. I would like to see it. This movement is very small. If you noticed the makers stamp is sideways to allow enough room on the movement.

Steven Thornberry

User Administrator
NAWCC Member
Jan 15, 2004
Here and there
Country
Since this thread has been resurrected, for the convenience of future searches and postings, I have created a link to it in the "Post Your Makers..." thread at the top of this forum.

John Hubby

Staff member
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Life Member
Sep 7, 2000
The Woodlands, TX
Country
Region

Hi,
Thanks for all the info. I know what you are talking about now. (Test Stand). That is what I will do. I have looked all over the internet and I can not find a lower production number than my movement. (70592). There are a couple of H. Endler clocks for sale on ebay now, but the numbers are higher. Also my movement does not have a (second hand) and most others do. If any one knows of a picture of a clock with an early movement let me know please. I would like to see it. This movement is very small. If you noticed the makers stamp is sideways to allow enough room on the movement.
Keep us posted on your progress with your movement. I should have mentioned earlier that your movement has the lowest serial number of any Endler clock so far documented in my database. If my estimates are correct this one was made about the middle of Endler's production (currently estimated about 138,000), so we really would like to see clocks with lower serial numbers to follow how they developed over time.

The lack of a second hand isn't all that unusual, about 1/3 of the clocks now recorded don't have one. I'm sure we will find more to comment about as more clocks are documented, as yet there aren't enough to give anything close to a full view of what Endler made.

John Hubby

Staff member
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Life Member
Sep 7, 2000
The Woodlands, TX
Country
Region
Since this thread has been resurrected, for the convenience of future searches and postings, I have created a link to it in the "Post Your Makers..." thread at the top of this forum.
Steven, thanks for linking this to the "big list" of makers. That will help a lot to keep track of new info as it is posted.

Jeff C

NAWCC Business
May 26, 2005
Seven Fields, Pennsylvania
Country
Region
2 Wt German regulator movement identification.

I have this 2wt regulator and Im trying to identify the movement.
In German it does say "Schutz Marke" which is trademark. If anyone could identify the crest I would appreciate it.
This is two pics of the movement and one of the clock. I do have the bottom finials, they match the top ones just didn't put them on.

Thanks Jeff

Attachments

Steven Thornberry

User Administrator
NAWCC Member
Jan 15, 2004
Here and there
Country
Re: 2 Wt German regulator movement identification.

The logo is of H. Endler. Here is a link to a thread on Endler clocks.

tarant

NAWCC Member
Jul 6, 2008
Wroclaw
Country
Region

H.Endler, Freiburg. Movement was made about 1890. I wonder, for how many years was this model of the case produced... Thirty, more ?

Scottie-TX

Deceased
Apr 6, 2004
Mesquite, TX
Country
Region

Nice ACK there, J.C.! My experience with Endler is that they did make good stuff. I especially like the full open columns - much nicer than the half and three quarter columns. Very fortunate you got all the finials and they certainly do look original - proper.
Please if you would add to our gallery of weight Viennas where others can enjoy it and perhaps even benefit by seeing a very much original one far as I can see.

Douglas Ballard

Dec 2, 2011
Alma, MI
Country
Region

Very elegant clock! I always enjoy the two tone cases and the finials on your clock are quite unique.

John Hubby

Staff member
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Life Member
Sep 7, 2000
The Woodlands, TX
Country
Region
Re: Post your WEIGHT driven Vienna here

This is a H. Endler 2 weight Vienna I obtained earlier this week. It looks to be all original as far as I can tell.
This is my first Vienna in my collection.

Regards, Jeff
Jeff, thanks for posting the photos of your H. Endler clock. Based on the serial number it was made in 1891, two years before they were bankrupt. You have a very nice example that has the typical characteristics of Freiburger clocks made prior to the merger of Gustav Becker with five other Freiburg clock makers in June 1899.

I am copying your post and my response to the Post Your H. Endler Clocks Here thread for record purposes. You can read that thread for historical information related to the Endler company and also see a number of other examples of Endler clocks.

emerb

Nov 19, 2015
Country
Help to identify that "misterious clock"

Hi guys, good morning,
I can not identify this clock, the history of the manufacturer and the date of manufacture, thats misterious to me..

Photos:
photo1.jpg photo2.jpg photo3.jpg

Serial 109972
Marke Schutz :???::???::???::???: Who is?
Year of manufacture:???::???:

Regards!

shimmystep

Mar 5, 2012
Cambridge, UK
Country
Region
Re: Help to identify that "misterious clock"

You may or may not have looked by now, the mark is of H Endler & co, a company from Freiburg, Silesia, that was bankrupt by the end of the 19th century, I forget which year exactly.

emerb

Nov 19, 2015
Country

Can you help dating my Endler clock too? the serial is 109972, I have a post with the photos. Thank you very much.

All help is welcome.

R. Croswell

Apr 4, 2006
Trappe, Md.
www.greenfieldclockshop.com
Country
Region

John, any chance you might publish that list? I have a two-weight time & strike ser. No. 106246 in the same case except mine is missing the bottom finials. Thanks to Oran's photo I now know what they should look like!.

RC

John Hubby

Staff member
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Life Member
Sep 7, 2000
The Woodlands, TX
Country
Region
Hi guys, good morning,
I can not identify this clock, the history of the manufacturer and the date of manufacture, thats misterious to me..

Photos:

Serial 109972
Marke Schutz :???::???::???::???: Who is?
Year of manufacture:???::???:

Regards!
emerb, thanks for your inquiry and posting the photos of your H. Endler & Co. clock. As already identified, the Endler company was founded in 1865 by ex-workers of Gustav Becker in Freiburg, Silesia, and produced clocks very closely resembling GB models. Your clock was made in 1885 based on the serial number of the movement and comparing that to the preliminary dating information I have developed.

I've posted in other threads that although Endler did declare bankruptcy in 1893, there is very strong evidence that they continued to make or finish clocks for almost two more years into 1895. This is possible if they were trying to refinance or somehow to come out of bankruptcy. At the end, evidently the facilities, machinery, and remaining stock of parts was folded into the merger with GB in 1899.

With the exception of one example for which the movement was likely purchased from a third party, all the clocks documented to date for this company were either time-only weight driven or time & strike weight driven wall clocks.

For convenience and to receive better exposure, I am merging this thread with the "Post Your H. Endler Clocks Here" thread in the Clocks General forum, and also the other thread that was posted today.

Last edited:

John Hubby

Staff member
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Life Member
Sep 7, 2000
The Woodlands, TX
Country
Region

John, any chance you might publish that list? I have a two-weight time & strike ser. No. 106246 in the same case except mine is missing the bottom finials. Thanks to Oran's photo I now know what they should look like!.

RC
RC, by my records it appears you first posted about your clock way back in June 2007, quite a while before we had enough data about Endler to make a guess when it was made other than "between 1865 and 1893". Your posts regarding the clock were merged into the "Post Your H. Endler Clocks Here" thread when that was compiled about two years ago.

My present data show your clock being made in 1884 based on the movement serial number. Regarding posting of my data, I'm working at the moment to find a way to do that as well as for a number of other makers. Right now most of my stuff isn't in a user-friendly format so that has to be fixed first.

I'm merging this thread into the main Endler thread in Clocks General. This one was out of place in Clock Repair.

R. Croswell

Apr 4, 2006
Trappe, Md.
www.greenfieldclockshop.com
Country
Region

RC, by my records it appears you first posted about your clock way back in June 2007, quite a while before we had enough data about Endler to make a guess when it was made other than "between 1865 and 1893". Your posts regarding the clock were merged into the "Post Your H. Endler Clocks Here" thread when that was compiled about two years ago.

My present data show your clock being made in 1884 based on the movement serial number. Regarding posting of my data, I'm working at the moment to find a way to do that as well as for a number of other makers. Right now most of my stuff isn't in a user-friendly format so that has to be fixed first.

I'm merging this thread into the main Endler thread in Clocks General. This one was out of place in Clock Repair.
Thanks for the update. I, and I'm sure many others, look forward to your database release.

gintarasb64

Oct 1, 2012
Lithuania
Country
Hello,

I bought this dirty clock at flea market at good price. The logo was unknown for me but I quickly found that this is Endler clock. I make some cleaning and now the clocks looks nice. Any information about the clock is very welcome.
Best regards
Gintaras 301304.jpg 301305.jpg 301306.jpg 301307.jpg 301308.jpg 301309.jpg 301310.jpg 301311.jpg 301312.jpg 301313.jpg 301315.jpg 301316.jpg

John Hubby

Staff member
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Life Member
Sep 7, 2000
The Woodlands, TX
Country
Region
Hello,

I bought this dirty clock at flea market at good price. The logo was unknown for me but I quickly found that this is Endler clock. I make some cleaning and now the clocks looks nice. Any information about the clock is very welcome.
Best regards
Gintaras
Gintaras, thanks for posting your Endler clock photos. You have a very nice example of one of the later Endler clocks, this one made in late 1889 based on the serial number. Since my last comment about dating information, I've added seven clocks to the data including yours. Although needing cleaning, it doesn't appear there is anything missing or not original about your clock and it will clean up very nicely.

A major difficulty for dating of Endler's production is that to our knowledge they did not use any identifying marks from the time of their startup in mid-1864 until they introduced and registered their only known logo in early 1877. That occurred about serial number 60000, and the only other firm data points for early production include the first clocks being completed in July 1864 and from a 1871 exposition catalog that they produced 6,300 clocks the previous year. Those data points, plus clocks with their logo and serial numbers up to 164500 have enabled a reasonable dating correlation. The company went into bankruptcy in 1893 but continued reduced operation to 1895 with windup and disposal of all assets in early 1896.

We have been able to identify a number of other maker's clocks that are not stamped with a name or logo by using known characteristics such as the design of the pendulum crutch, plate layouts, hand design, movement and gong support bracket designs, etc. In the case of Endler, unfortunately, their movements have very few distinguishing characteristics. Also, they used generic hands, dials, pendulums and weights so the identification becomes quite difficult for clocks with serial numbers lower than 60000.

gintarasb64

Oct 1, 2012
Lithuania
Country
Gintaras, thanks for posting your Endler clock photos. You have a very nice example of one of the later Endler clocks, this one made in late 1889 based on the serial number. Since my last comment about dating information, I've added seven clocks to the data including yours. Although needing cleaning, it doesn't appear there is anything missing or not original about your clock and it will clean up very nicely.

A major difficulty for dating of Endler's production is that to our knowledge they did not use any identifying marks from the time of their startup in mid-1864 until they introduced and registered their only known logo in early 1877. That occurred about serial number 60000, and the only other firm data points for early production include the first clocks being completed in July 1864 and from a 1871 exposition catalog that they produced 6,300 clocks the previous year. Those data points, plus clocks with their logo and serial numbers up to 164500 have enabled a reasonable dating correlation. The company went into bankruptcy in 1893 but continued reduced operation to 1895 with windup and disposal of all assets in early 1896.

We have been able to identify a number of other maker's clocks that are not stamped with a name or logo by using known characteristics such as the design of the pendulum crutch, plate layouts, hand design, movement and gong support bracket designs, etc. In the case of Endler, unfortunately, their movements have very few distinguishing characteristics. Also, they used generic hands, dials, pendulums and weights so the identification becomes quite difficult for clocks with serial numbers lower than 60000.
Thank you John. Very detailed and interesting information as usual.
Best regards
Gintaras

John Hubby

Staff member
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Life Member
Sep 7, 2000
The Woodlands, TX
Country
Region
Gintaras, thanks for posting! This is quite a nice example that appears to be all original. My data show early 1887 for serial number 116859 so you were close with your dating. This one has a stamped or forged one-piece anchor pivot bridge they had used for many years. Shortly after that they introduce the lozenge-shape fabricated bridge that is on the clock you posted earlier that was used for about four years before they switched back to the same design as is on this clock.

Oled

Dec 8, 2009
Moscow, Russia
Country
Region
Hi Colleagues!

Just to have some updates on the discussion :)
Below is the extract from 1865 "Königlich Preußischer Staats-Anzeiger" (Prussian Royal State Gazette) with a list of clockmakers, who formed "H.Endler & Co" company at the very beggining in 1865.

In unser Gesellschafts Register ist auf Grund vorschriftsmäßiger Anmeldung eine Handelsgesellschaft sub laufende Nr. 27 unter der Firma: Produktiv Genossenschaft der Uhrmacher von Freiburg i. Schl. "H.Endler & Co" am Orte Freiburg i. Schl. unter nachstehenden Rechtsverhältnissen:

Die Gesellschafter sind:
1) der Uhrmacher Hr Heinrich Endler in Zirlau
2) der Uhrmacher Gottlieb Holzbecher in Freiburg
3) der Uhrmacher Julius Kulkmann in Freiburg
4) der Uhrmacher Peter Müller in Freiburg
5) der Uhrmacher August Schmidt in Freiburg
6) der Uhrmacher Heinrich Koffinke in Polsnitz
7) der Uhrmacher Julius Rauer in Polsnitz
8) der Uhrmacher August Peuser in Freiburg
9) der Uhrmacher Eduard Höppner in Zirlau
10) der Uhrmacher Gustav Melzer in Zirlau
11) der Uhrmacher Robert Kofinke in Freiburg
12) der Uhrmacher Wilhelm Bäder in Polsnitz
13) der Uhrmacher Reinhold Wolf in Freiburg
14) der Uhrmacher Eduard Markstein in Freiburg

Die Gesellschaft hat am 30 April 1865 begonnen. Die Gesellschafter: Gottlieb Holzbecher, Julius Kulkmann und Peter Müller sollen nur berechtigt sein die Gesellschaft, und zwar gemeinschaftlich, zu vertreten, am 13 Mai 1865 eingetragen worden.
Schweidnitz, den 13 Mai 1865
Königliches Kreisgericht I Abtheilung

and the translation:

In our Company Register Registration of a trading company "Cooperative of Watchmakers of Freiburg i. Schl. "H Endler & Co" was made under No. 27.

The shareholders are:
1) watchmaker Hr Heinrich Endler in Zirlau
2) watchmaker Gottlieb Holzbecher in Freiburg
3) watchmaker Julius Kulkmann in Freiburg
4) watchmaker Peter Müller in Freiburg
5) watchmaker August Schmidt in Freiburg
6) watchmaker Heinrich Koffinke in Polsnitz
7) watchmaker Julius Rauer in Polsnitz
8) watchmaker August Peuser in Freiburg
9) watchmaker Eduard Höppner in Zirlau
10) watchmaker Gustav Melzer in Zirlau
11) watchmaker Robert Kofinke in Freiburg
12) watchmaker Wilhelm Bäder in Polsnitz
13) watchmaker Reinhold Wolf in Freiburg
14) watchmaker Eduard Markstein in Freiburg

The company started on April 30, 1865. The shareholders Gottlieb Holzbecher, Julius Kulkmann and Peter Müller should only be entitled to represent the company, and that was registered on May 13, 1865.
Schweidnitz, 13 May 1865
Royal District Court

Best regards,
Oleg

1865_13_May.JPG

gentleman jim

Dec 7, 2008
South Carolina
Country
Region
Posting my H. Endler clock. It is about 48" high and is a two weight clock. I assume it is 1895 or so given the 160493 serial number. It is also interesting that the H.E. is almost completely worn away. Perhaps deliberately?. 20190707_111038.jpg 20190707_111058.jpg 20190701_151250.jpg 20190707_111021.jpg 20190701_151413.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Genda
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller