• We are aware of the performance issues with the forum. These are due to problems with Comcast's shared lines in the Columbia, PA area. On December 15, we signed a contract to bring a dedicated fiber line to the forum servers. It should take somewhere between 30 and 90 days to install. Thank you for your patience.

Post Your H. Endler Clocks Here

harold bain

NAWCC Member
Deceased
Nov 4, 2002
Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
Re: Need Help With Regulator Clock?

Popeye, nice regulator. Looks like a two weight Vienna. The bottom looks fine, but the top should have a crest. The bob will be a plain brass bob of about 5 inches in diameter. Timesavers part # 10240 should work if you can't locate an original. They also have Vienna head pieces for your top.

popeye

May 8, 2005
Country
Re: Need Help With Vienna 2 Weight/Regulator Clock?

Thanks for the compliment.
Another question-They put fishing line to hold the weights. What should I replace the nylon filament with?

harold bain

NAWCC Member
Deceased
Nov 4, 2002
Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region

Popeye, mine has black nylon fishing line on it (came with it, didn't see any reason to change). Some would use catgut cable on these, but the downside is the way it tends to birdsnest whenever you remove the weights.

Scottie-TX

Deceased
Apr 6, 2004
Mesquite, TX
Country
Region

Couldn'ta writ it any bedder:
What Rev. BAIN writes;
About five, five and a half inches would look nicer. Gut is fine. I prefer black line with a monofilament.
Looks perhaps like a movement by H. Endler, Freiberg/Silesia - Reg. 1877
Nice find!

popeye

May 8, 2005
Country

Would love to roughly the age and more info. Didn't think that old.

Merritts has a 5 3/4" bob, would that work? Also came with weights, but pretty banged up. One is 2.1 lbs and other is 3.4 Lbs. Looked in Merritts and has 4" x 1 1/2". The size I have is 4" x 2". Would the size make a difference? Also wouldn't the size and weight be the same for this clock-maybe not right weights? If so, which size and weight be appropriate?Thanks for the reply.

I gather $125 was a good price?

harold bain

NAWCC Member
Deceased
Nov 4, 2002
Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region

Great price, if it looks half as good in person as the pictures show. Weights are usually the same on both sides. Your movement may need some attention if a previous owner decided to increase the weight rather than fix the problem. Are both shells the same size?
5 3/4 inch bob should look good. these clocks don't normally have a large swing.

Jeremy Woodoff

NAWCC Member
Jun 30, 2002
Brooklyn
Country
Region

There is a dark, horizontal line on the case back, probably caused by the bob rubbing against the wood. This line would represent the mid-point of the original bob. If you measure from the line to the top of the rating nut assembly, that will give you the radius. Double that for the bob diameter.

Excellent price and really nice clock. I love the side columns!

Jeremy

Scottie-TX

Deceased
Apr 6, 2004
Mesquite, TX
Country
Region

Well; The Merritts' four by one anda half are two and three quarter pounds. I would certainly think it should be reliable on that. Yes; Both weights should be same size - same weight. Before I spent sixty bucks on weights tho, I'd test and make sure they'd run the clock. My guess is that, clean, lubed, and properly running, that much weight should provide reliable operation with CONSIDERABLE over margin - twenty per- cent or more over.
Five and three quarter bob'll look great. Your dial is seven anda quarter. You'll note many viennas have a bob of similar dia. to dial. That gives the clock great geometric balance.
Age? Late, last quarter, 18s.
Buck anda quarter for that? ANY (every) day of the week. You bett!
Nice bargin bro.

jmclaugh

Jun 1, 2006
Devon
Country
Region

Nice clock Popeye and a very good price. As Scottie says it is by Endler who were based in Freiburg Silesia, that mark was in registered 1877 and I think they went out of business in 1890. The top pediment is obviously missing and it looks like a finial is also missing at the base of the case. The photo below is a similar clock by Endler which may help in identifying the likely pediment.

Attachments

popeye

May 8, 2005
Country

Woops ordered wrong bob. After looking at picsit looks to be a regulator bob. I orederd 5 1/2" vienna. I just reordered a 6 1/2" regulator bob from Merritts. I gather that would work according to the info of balance to the dial. Does that work? Appreciated, thanks.
PS-also ordered the weight of 3.4 oz. Someone had one on ebay and told me the weight was 1.4kg.

harold bain

NAWCC Member
Deceased
Nov 4, 2002
Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region

6 1/2 inch should work OK. 3 pounds 4 oz. MAY be a little heavy. I would have done some experimenting with different weights before deciding what was needed. With the movement in good condition, it may strike too fast with the 3 pound weight. However, try it and see.

popeye

May 8, 2005
Country

He said the diameter on his is 5 3/4". Merritts has 5.5 Inches diameter or 6.5 diameter. Wondering which would look better. Thanks.

Scottie-TX

Deceased
Apr 6, 2004
Mesquite, TX
Country
Region

Judging from the space remaining below the reg. nut, vertical space for a larger bob should be no problem. Now you do understand that a larger bob will have a higher center of gravity and could speed up the clock requiring lowering the bob. If bob needs lowered beyond range of available regulation - you may need to hunt a longer suspension spring or bottom weight the pendulum.
If regulation is not a problem, then bob dia. is simply a preference. My preference would be the largest dia.
The pinwheel I'm currently working on, I recently found a ten inch bob. If I could find a twelve inch bob, I'd even prefer that!

Scottie-TX

Deceased
Apr 6, 2004
Mesquite, TX
Country
Region

I'd say JON's bob is five inches. How close'd I come JON?
Here: Here, thanks to eBay.de is very probably a six inch bob and a preview of how yours could look with one.

Attachments

Scottie-TX

Deceased
Apr 6, 2004
Mesquite, TX
Country
Region

Gimme yer address there POPS!
I'll send ya a relatively old, steel backed, six inch bob. Leave it as is - lacquered with some age or as I would - strip it and bring it to a mirror finish; Your preference. Your old bob. https://mb.nawcc.org/Click Heremclkwrx@aol.com
http://links.pictures.aol.com/pic/ce60Tm3RNe03ypcMQtil8a8L2YASPF2iX7cXv4xQp5Fd3Ig=_l.jpg and the back:
http://links.pictures.aol.com/pic/ce60Tm3RNe03ypcMQtil8a8L2RHX*nayt*Fzv4xQp5Fd3Ig=_l.jpg

jmclaugh

Jun 1, 2006
Devon
Country
Region

Scottie-TX said:
I'd say JON's bob is five inches. How close'd I come JON?
Here: Here, thanks to eBay.de is very probably a six inch bob and a preview of how yours could look with one.
Scottie ya certainly do like big bobs. It is 5.5", so pretty close. The inside dimension of the case and the arc of swing may also play a part in the size of bob that could be fitted.

popeye

May 8, 2005
Country

Scottie-That is very nice of you to offer. I just left my address. My name,besides Pop, is Mark. Let me know if you need anything. Much appreciated and thanks again! There is a Santa Claus. Happy Holidays.

MUN CHOR-WENG

Sep 5, 2000
Country

I have a single weight Vienna made by the same maker as Popeye's clock.
It has a 5.5-inch pendulum bob.

Mun C.W.

Attachments

jmclaugh

Jun 1, 2006
Devon
Country
Region

Mun,
Very nice with lovely finials and a sexy case and I do prefer the single weight ones. Is it a 60 seconds dial or 45?

MUN CHOR-WENG

Sep 5, 2000
Country

jmclaugh said:
Mun,
Very nice with lovely finials and a sexy case and I do prefer the single weight ones. Is it a 60 seconds dial or 45?

Jonathan,

It has a 45 seconds subsidiary dial.

Mun C.W.

Scottie-TX

Deceased
Apr 6, 2004
Mesquite, TX
Country
Region

Yes indeed. VERY nice piece, MUNCH. Single weights my preference.
ACK your PM, there so MARK my word and watch your mailbox!

popeye

May 8, 2005
Country
H. Endler Vienna Clock Pics

Trying as new post. Here are the finished pics minus finished top. Two questions-do the weights look to large? Opinions on top? Appreciated and love the bob.

Attachments

popeye

May 8, 2005
Country
Re: H. Endler Vienna Clock Pics

trouble

Attachments

harold bain

NAWCC Member
Deceased
Nov 4, 2002
Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region

Popeye, looks great:thumb: I think the weights are maybe a bit too new looking, but quite acceptable. Get yourself some dark walnut stain for that top, and you have a terrific looking clock at a bargain price:clap:

Scottie-TX

Deceased
Apr 6, 2004
Mesquite, TX
Country
Region

Indeed. I think you did well with the top. It matches very well. Certainly bob looks nice and weights look GREAT. No, they don't look too big. They seem to be in proportion with case dimensions and I prefer the weights polished as you have them. I polish EVERYthing on mine.
Helluva bargin ya got there BRO!

jmclaugh

Jun 1, 2006
Devon
Country
Region

Weights are fine, brass should sparkle. The top will no doubt look fine when stained but finials to match the bottom would have been nice, good job though. :clap:

popeye

May 8, 2005
Country
Before & After Endler Vienna-Many Thanks!

I am attaching some pics of before and after of an aquisition. One of my favorites. It is an Endler Vienna Clock. There were a few prior posts for help in getting this to such nice shape. All the responses and aid helped me get this to become my favorite clock. Two special thanks to someone "donating" a beautiful bob for this piece. My favorite part of clocks. Also a recognition of special talent for getting a replacement top to look like the matching grain. It is a fellow clock class member "fume happy". He brought a Merritt replacment top to look like a top that was part of this piece. Nicely done!!! Again, thank to all!

Attachments

Kevin W.

NAWCC Member
Apr 11, 2002
Nepean, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
Re: Before & After Endler Vienna-Many Thanks!

Popeye, i can see why this is your favourite clock.Very good job done on it. And good to know people from this board are helping others.That i like to see.:thumb:

Scottie-TX

Deceased
Apr 6, 2004
Mesquite, TX
Country
Region

Yeah; Hat's off to th' guy who gets HAPPY on FUMES: Great lookin' bookmatch on top. Rosewood perhaps?
CONGRATS! Looks Great.

fume happy

Mar 31, 2005
NY
Country
Region

I'm glad to see it matches well!
If anyone is curious, I grain painted the top using Tom Temple's method as published under "keeping time" on the main site.
glad y'all like it :)
~Fumey

jmclaugh

Jun 1, 2006
Devon
Country
Region

fume said:
If anyone is curious, I grain painted the top using Tom Temple's method as published under "keeping time" on the main site.
~Fumey
Wondered how you do that, excellent job and you get to have a cup of tea too. :clap:

zepernick

Deceased
Aug 8, 2004
Country
Region

Well done Popeye. What good taste (and spinach) can do!

Zep

Stormy

Jan 22, 2007
Visit site

fume said:
~Fumey
FH

Can you steer me to the article, "on the main site", as I can't find it??:?| I would very much like to read about his method. I can do great woodworking,:thumb: but can't seem to be able to get even close to matching all the different finishes on most of these clocks.:bang::bang: I have several clocks, that need some kind of finish work done on them, including some, with raw, replacement parts, I have had to duplicate, to match the rest of the clock.

Thanks
Stormy:mysad::mysad:

jmclaugh

Jun 1, 2006
Devon
Country
Region

Stormy,

Yeah it is a little tucked away but here it is Click Here

RTC

NAWCC Member
May 20, 2007
Visit site
vienna reg movement ID

I am adding a few pics this may be a 30 day runner as ran 3 days with only a little bit of weight drop...
the marking looks to say schuts marke
with like HE co or ME co
any help thanks Troy

Attachments

John Hubby

Senior Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Life Member
Sep 7, 2000
The Woodlands, TX
Country
Region
Re: veianna reg movement ID

Troy, could you post photos of the complete clock? I'm compiling data for this maker to help support my Gustav Becker research. Can't provide a manufacturing date as yet other than it would have been made before the merger with Becker in June 1899.

Kim St.Dennis Sr.

NAWCC Member
Deceased
Mar 20, 2003
Los Angeles
Country
Region
Re: vienna reg movement ID

The easiest way to tell a 30 day Vienna Style Regulator movement is that it winds counterclockwise. This is because there is an intermediate wheel between the winding ardor and the center wheel arbor. Most 30 day VSR movement has 5 arbors and the 8 day VSR has 4 arbors. Also the weights are twice the size of the normal 80 beat Vienna Style Regulator, say 5 to 6 pounds. It would help to have some pictures of the inside of the movement to help determine the type of movement you have. My guess is you have an 8 day with maintaining power.

Scottie-TX

Deceased
Apr 6, 2004
Mesquite, TX
Country
Region

Not that you need my affirmation, KST, but indeed - 8 day. Usually monthrunners are a little fatter to accomodate that fifth wheel - for some reason often have an arched top, and the final evidence is lacking pivot as seen in front view. Pivot on right is for motion maint. pawl lever - none on left.

RTC

NAWCC Member
May 20, 2007
Visit site

here is a pick of the clock beidemeir period.thanks Troy

Attachments

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnfn70