Post Your Gustav Becker Clocks Here

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by Mike306p/Ansoniaman, Jul 5, 2006.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Royce

Royce Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Oct 8, 2018
    Male
    Retired
    Houston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Beautiful clock!! 1884 is correct based on the extensive work by John Hubby on Becker clocks.

2. Tatyana

Tatyana Registered User

Jan 2, 2016
    Female
    Saint Petersburg
    Country Flag:
    I think that this clock was made in the Austrian branch and was made later in 1906.

BR, Tatyana

3. Gary Ewald

Gary Ewald Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 13, 2014
    Male
    (Retired) Cathedral Clock Winder
    Southern California
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks to John for the date clarification. What is the "Austrian branch" pray tell:???:

4. Tatyana

Tatyana Registered User

Jan 2, 2016
    Female
    Saint Petersburg
    Country Flag:
    I meant production in Braunau.

5. Gary Ewald

Gary Ewald Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 13, 2014
    Male
    (Retired) Cathedral Clock Winder
    Southern California
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Makes sense. Thanks for that bit of info!

6. Tatyana

Tatyana Registered User

Jan 2, 2016
    Female
    Saint Petersburg
    Country Flag:
    This is the first time I've seen such a signature.
    II Q - second quality?

01c0c61649c58b128fc1f1d101b8.jpg 656_848.jpg

BR, Tatyana

7. LenzkirchFan

LenzkirchFan Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 31, 2002
    Male
    Retired
    Missouri
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Good catch Tatyana! Great subject too. Wonder if that is what that means. We know that Lenzkirch marked their 2nd quality movements so it makes sense that Becker would too. What does everyone else think?

Steve

8. Steven Thornberry

Steven Thornberry User Administrator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    Tatyana likes this.
  9. tarant

tarant Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Neurohorologist ;)
    Wroclaw
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
  10. Javi

Javi Registered User

Apr 8, 2020
    Country Flag:
    Hello, I recently inherited a Gustav Becker clock and am excited to learn about this very knowledgeable community! I've read 20+ pages from this thread and decided it was time to post my own.

From what I've read of John Hubby's replies, my guess is that it was built around 1909 at the Braunau factory. The S/N is 484138, written on the movement and the pendulum. There is some scratched writing on the back of the movement as well, it looks like initials and maybe the date 12/27/1961. Is it customary for a clock repairer to document their work like this? My only guess is that it was repaired because the patina doesn't look as rough as I would expect from 1909 and to my very untrained self, the bushings don't seem to be in bad shape. The clock isn't running right now - the weight strings were tangled up in the gears and the weights are missing.

I've started cleaning up the case with mineral spirits and am already seeing dramatic improvements. Is there a standard polish or wax that case restorers like to use?

I'm having a real hard time figuring out what weights to buy. From another post, I thought 2.5 lb may be correct, but these seem to be uncommon (at least, on timesavers and clockworks) and 4.5 seems fairly common. Does anyone have advice for size/shape/weight/source for replacement weights? They are expensive enough that I only want to buy them once :)

Thanks in advance!

OrigClock.jpg MovementFront.jpg MovementRear.jpg CleanedCase.jpg

Dave T likes this.
  11. KurtinSA

KurtinSA Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 24, 2014
    Aerospace Engineer (Ret.)
    San Antonio, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Welcome to the message board! Someone will be along to help with the weights question. As for repair marks, I think it's hit or miss if that is done. In a way, it's too bad IMO that the marks are permanent in the plate...today, I think people might sign with a permanent-ish marker pen...or make notations on the inside of the case or the back part.

Maybe someone will have catalog cuts showing the clock. I don't have much knowledge of these types of clocks, but it almost looks like there might have been a top crown? Are there any holes in the top part of the case to suggest that? Maybe not, but the clock looks very nice.

Kurt

Javi likes this.
  12. Javi

Javi Registered User

Apr 8, 2020
    Country Flag:
    Thanks Kurt! I think you could be right about a top crown - I just noticed 2 holes on the top. When I received the clock, there was candle wax pooled on the top with drippings down the back; came off pretty easily after a few minutes in the sun.

CaseTop.jpg

13. Dave T

Dave T Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 8, 2011
    retired
    NC
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Nice job on the case. If it's smooth to the touch, I'd give it a coat of paste wax and buff.

Javi likes this.
  14. Javi

Javi Registered User

Apr 8, 2020
    Country Flag:
    Thanks Dave! Do you have any suggestions for the face and the little meter-type thing at the bottom of the case? (don't know the name for it)

15. Dave T

Dave T Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 8, 2011
    retired
    NC
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Not sure what you need. The only picture of the dial (face) is not too clear, but looks to be porcelain, and from what I see it looks okay.
    As for the meter thing, you must be referring to a beat scale. I don't see it in the picture either, what do you need?

Javi likes this.
  16. AllThumbz

AllThumbz Registered User

Feb 24, 2007
    Male
    Attorney
    Queens, New York
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Gorgeous GB clock. I dream of one day owning a GB 3 weight grand sonnerie to put in my living room, My preference is to leave the finish alone, with the provenance it has; but, I like the cleanup you did. There is a 2 weight GB on Ebay now. It shows the weights. That may be some help. Enjoy in good health!

Javi likes this.
  17. Javi

Javi Registered User

Apr 8, 2020
    Country Flag:
    Thanks everyone!

Dave - the face does look pretty ok; I just wasn't sure if it's fine to use something like 409 or windex to clean the face and beat scale or if I need something softer?

18. Dave T

Dave T Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 8, 2011
    retired
    NC
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Windex or some such would be fine I'd think. Shouldn't take much.

19. AllThumbz

AllThumbz Registered User

Feb 24, 2007
    Male
    Attorney
    Queens, New York
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Windex has ammonia. I'd use something a bit softer, like some Dawn.

20. Naffe

Naffe New Member

May 16, 2020
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Hi! Here is my small collection of Becker clocks. The spring driven is from grandma,1920 something? The weightdriven from 1896 and 1900.
    / Stefan,Sweden

20171116_160100.jpg 20200223_134854.jpg 20200517_145701.jpg

21. JenniWren

JenniWren New Member

Friday
    Female
    Country Flag:
    Hi GB fans,
    I have really enjoyed reading this thread and learned so much.
    Growing up my grandparents had 2 grandfather clocks, one from each of their fathers. I loved them, particularly the one from my grandmother's father, and was fortunate to inherit it for my 21st (a couple of years ago now )
    When my gps passed, my mother got the other one. Sadly, it was lost in the Victorian fires 6 months ago so will never know what he was.
    I recently had my GFC serviced, as due to living arrangements it hadnt been running for probably 30 years or so. Anyway turns out it is a GB.
    My GM told me her father puchased it in the mid 1920s and from the info on this thread, the logo appears to be the 1914-1834 crown & anchor.
    When I first started researching, I was confused by the serial number only being 3 digits as most seemed to have a lot more, so wasn't sure what I was looking at was in fact the serial number. But reading John Hubby's dating info regarding the restarting of serial numbers, it makes more sense.
    As far as I can make out from the info here, along with the logo and serial number on my clock, I would estimate my GB to be dated around the later part of 1925. Would you agree?
    Please see photos attached.
    Appreciate any further comments/info.
    Regards, Jenni.

20200625_092045.jpg 20200712_103242.jpg 20200712_104752.jpg 20200712_103858.jpg 20200712_103909.jpg 20200712_104006.jpg 20200712_104034.jpg 20200712_103251.jpg 20200712_103304.jpg

Dave T likes this.
  22. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005
    Welcome the board.

You are probably about right with the date of your clock. However, the P112 is not the serial number, it is the pendulum length in cm.

It's a nice clock and even nicer is the fact that it's an heirloom.

JTD

23. KurtinSA

KurtinSA Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 24, 2014
    San Antonio, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Welcome to the message board! It appears that the serial number is 329 and I think you're correct that it was built in 1925 just after GB changed their numbering system. That synchs up with the story you have that the clock was purchased in the mid 1920s.

Kurt

24. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005
    Ah yes, I see the little 329, right at the bottom of the pic, well spotted. Since there was no mention of the actual number and the 329 is only visible when pic is enlarged, I thought the OP was talking about the PL.

JTD

25. JenniWren

JenniWren New Member

Friday
    Female
    Country Flag:
    Thank you Kurt & JTD,
    Yes P112 is pendulum length and serial number 329.
    Sorry should have highlighted the serial number in original post.
    The logo doesn't have SALESIA under the anchor, but it says made in salesia on the silencer above the dial...but the serial number would indicate the Braunau factory? Or did they restart the numbers at both factories? Or would it have been built in Salesia and finished in Braunau?

26. KurtinSA

KurtinSA Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 24, 2014
    San Antonio, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Jenni -

I suspect that you've read John Hubby's post here:

Post Your Gustav Becker Clocks Here

I think it's quite murky during that time period, as Gustav Becker was winding things down in the late 1920s and finally closed shop in 1932. The letter "M" has never been figured out. So, at first glance, I'd say the clock was made in Freiburg after they changed the numbering system. But who knows!

Kurt