Post Your Gustav Becker Clocks Here

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by Mike306p/Ansoniaman, Jul 5, 2006.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. KurtinSA

KurtinSA Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 24, 2014
    Aerospace Engineer (Ret.)
    San Antonio, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
  2. hogges

hogges Registered User

Dec 3, 2019
    Male
    GIS Database Supervisor
    Birmingham AL
    Country Flag:
    Thank you, wow! So excited to find this out, my parents bought this clock when I was a child, but could never find the serial number. Would love to find as much as I can about the clock, the maker as much as possible to hand down to my kids and Grand kids.. thanks again

3. hogges

hogges Registered User

Dec 3, 2019
    Male
    GIS Database Supervisor
    Birmingham AL
    Country Flag:
    Thank you, wow! So excited to find this out, my parents bought this clock when I was a child, but could never find the serial number. Would love to find as much as I can about the clock, the maker as much as possible to hand down to my kids and Grand kids.. thanks again

4. Susan Hadley

Susan Hadley Registered User

Dec 12, 2019
    Female
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hello!

First time poster and I have recently acquired a Gustav Becker Wall clock that is missing a pendulum.

Does anyone have any information as to where I could locate one?

Pictures attached.

Under the P48 on the back of the movement is hand scratched: KL8383 and below that KL6135.

Thanks in advance.
    1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg

5. KurtinSA

KurtinSA Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 24, 2014
    San Antonio, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Welcome to the message board, Susan! I don't think the scratched numbers mean anything per the factory, but likely represent some kind of notations from previous repairs. The P48 refers to the length of pendulum...I can never keep it in my mind what that is in length. I have a Becker with P42 and the pendulum is about 12-16 inches long. I think...I think...the 48 means millimeters and converting to inches is 18.9 inches. I will corrected for sure!!

Could you take another picture of the logo on the back with the leader moved out of the way? The exact features of the logo will help to identify the period over which the clock was made. Probably somewhere between 1906 and 1925...the Silesia logo usually indicates an "Amerikaner" type of movement with some superior features over other clocks of the period.

Kurt

6. Steven Thornberry

Steven Thornberry User Administrator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    Centimeters.

7. KurtinSA

KurtinSA Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 24, 2014
    San Antonio, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks, Steven. I will try and remember that! I was actually doing the math right, but failed to put it down. 48 divided by 2.54 is 18.9 inches.

Kurt

8. Susan Hadley

Dec 12, 2019
    Female
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks Kurt for your reply and info. Attached is the logo pic. I am not sure what type of pendulum connection/plate/hook I need for this clock.
    GB silesia logo.jpg

9. KurtinSA

KurtinSA Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 24, 2014
    San Antonio, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Susan -

That's a clear picture! From what I've read, this type of logo was used at two plants, one in Freiburg and another in Braunau. Sometimes clocks were made in Freiburg and but the finishing work was done in Braunau, so I think it's hard to tell which is which. The time frame I mentioned is probably about as good as it's going to get. On other Becker clocks, they used serial numbers which greatly aids in dating the clocks. I believe the "S" that is stamped is for the German work "Schlagwerk" or striking movement.

As for a pendulum, I'm afraid I can't help much. I've never seen that addition to the bottom of the long leader...I suspect that either something else on a rod connected to that or maybe the pendulum bob (weight) connects directly there. I think it's the former since we've determined the pendulum length is over 18 inches. Maybe someone else can help with where to make these measurements for the pendulum to be 18+ inches long. It's not only the length, but the weight will be important as well. I don't think such pendulums are readily available so it might take some watching of ebay, etc. But first you need to visually know what you're looking for. You might spend a bit of time going back through this long thread and look at pictures until you find a clock that looks like yours with matching logo and the number "P48".

Kurt

10. Steven Thornberry

Steven Thornberry User Administrator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    That is correct. The following post is, so far as I know, still up to date on the various letters used on these Amerikaner (American-style) movements.

Post Your Gustav Becker Clocks Here

11. Susan Hadley

Dec 12, 2019
    Female
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thank you Kurt and Steven for the helpful info.
    -sue

12. Royce

Royce Registered User

Oct 8, 2018
    Male
    Retired
    Houston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Gustav Becker - 2.jpg Gustav Becker - 9.JPG
    Susan, I believe my GB movement is identical to yours except mine has a "P" over the P48 in lieu of "S". My Pendulum is approximately 15" long as shown so adding the leader, it would be very near the 18.9" calculated above.

13. KurtinSA

KurtinSA Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 24, 2014
    San Antonio, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Royce -

I have a P42 pendulum for my Becker wall clock...it has a attachment point just like yours. I hesitated to suggest something like ours to Susan because I don't see the same part at the end of the leader. So it's unclear what type of pendulum she needs.

Kurt

14. Susan Hadley

Dec 12, 2019
    Female
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Good Morning!

After perusing many webpages, I was able to find a picture (I forgot to note from where for picture credit) that may help in my search. It looks like a plate of some sort that sits in the prongs at the bottom of my existing leader.

Thank you everyone for your info.

possible pendulum.jpg

15. KurtinSA

KurtinSA Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 24, 2014
    San Antonio, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Susan -

You're on to something! Good luck!

Kurt

16. Sergio Vasquez

Sergio Vasquez Registered User

Oct 21, 2018
    Male
    Puerto Varas, Chile
    Country Flag:
    Hi Susan

I was searching some pics of a clock as your and the pendulum has a ronded lens.

Here is a pic of a similar clock that shows what I founded. In old GB catalogues I found the same lens.

reloj-de-pared-con-pendulo-antiguo-gustav-becker-dom-gong-D_NQ_NP_791734-MLA28147457514_092018-F.jpg

Regarding where to found a pendulum, I've seen web pages in Germany where they sell GB spare parts of these clocks. Important is buy a 48cm pendulum.

Regards,

Sergio

17. Susan Hadley

Dec 12, 2019
    Female
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Sergio-

Thank you for the research. Now I know what I should be looking for in a pendulum, I just need to find the proper top connector for my existing leader.

I wonder if the bottom part of my leader is interchangeable with another 'easier to find' connector.

Thanks again everyone for your contributions!

18. SimonLuk

SimonLuk New Member

Dec 23, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Just inherited a GB oak mantle clock with serial number 2438204 and a P18 movement so guessing it is from 1922 as has Freiburg stamp. Any further info welcome. I am guessing it was specially made for the British market as the small dials are labelled in English. Some only appear to have one small dial for the chime, so is this a more ‘high spec’ model?

67B7583C-0BA1-47DC-8225-82DBD471C395.jpeg

19. JimmyOz

JimmyOz Registered User

Feb 21, 2008
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Here is the pendulum connection you are after, the pendulum itself is 42 centimetres from where the leader hooks on to the suspension spring to the tip of the threaded rod on the pendulum.
    CIMG0684.JPG CIMG0685.JPG CIMG0686.JPG

20. Susan Hadley

Dec 12, 2019
    Female
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thank you very much for the photos of the part required. It will most certainly help in the search.

21. Tatyana

Tatyana Registered User

Jan 2, 2016
    Female
    Saint Petersburg
    Country Flag:
    Hi all!

Two curious movements by Gustav Becker:

The first movement has a few numbers reworked:

n4iu0GAapH4.jpg

On the second movement of 1891 is the designation P18, I used to think that the designation of the length of the pendulum GB began to use in 1899.

1.jpg 2.jpg 6.jpg 3.jpg 5.jpg 4.jpg

BR,
    Tatyana

22. DiamondDes

DiamondDes New Member

Jan 8, 2020
    Male
    Country Flag:
    #3122 DiamondDes, Jan 9, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2020
    Morning all, New to this forum so apologies for any errors.

I have inherited the wall clock from my father recently who in turn inherited from his mother who inherited from her father. It has been in the family since approx. 1950 and I can remember it since 1971. My G Grandfather was a Butler/Valet and it was not unusual to be given the opportunity to choose a 'piece' when you changed houses if you were well thought of. It is possible that he chose the clock on his retirement.

It has a Gustav Becker P64 Amerikane clock movement and a single chime rod and i think it dates from around c1910-1912 from reading through other posts on this site re dial logo and makers stamp. I will post photos of the movement etc in due course.

I would love to know if it appears in any catalogues of the time and the model reference etc.

My interest at the present time is in the case. Would this be Mahogany or Walnut? Looking at other photos etc i think to door is on upside down as the semi circle shaped moulding is at the bottom and the door spindles should be the other way round i.e. tapering from big diameter at the bottom to a smaller diameter at the top. It has one clasp to secure the door and three small hinges. However there are no redundant screw holes on the opposing side of the case for either the hinges or the clasp to suggest that it is in fact upside down

The back panel is made in four pieces, although this could be a veneer, and looks like it might be oak rather than a darker wood. I will take the clock down and look at the back as i haven't done so yet.

The glass is not like modern flat glass as it has small imperfections in it and is not perfectly flat.

Is the head crown/top original? It is about 1" (2.5cm) smaller in width from the overall case width.

Should it have a base pediment? when looking on the underside it is clear to see that there is a rectangle that has not had any staining or polish etc.

Finally could it be that it is not the original case? On the bottom where a pediment might be placed there is some writing that could be signatures but these are not readable. There is also what appears to be a date. Three people looked at this and wrote down the same date without consulting the others. That date was 1866 (not the clock date i know).

Hoping and looking forward to any responses.

Adrian.

Mason Clock (1).jpg Mason Clock (2).jpg Mason Clock (3).jpg Mason Clock (4).jpg View attachment 565242 Mason Clock (6).jpg Mason Clock (7).jpg Mason Clock (8).jpg Mason Clock (9).jpg Mason Clock (10).jpg Mason Clock (11).jpg View attachment 565249 View attachment 565252 View attachment 565253 View attachment 565254 View attachment 565255 View attachment 565256 View attachment 565257 View attachment 565258 View attachment 565259 Mason Clock (5).jpg

23. Tatyana

Tatyana Registered User

Jan 2, 2016
    Female
    Saint Petersburg
    Country Flag:
    Hi!
    Here is a picture from the catalog for 1912:

IMG_0070.jpg

Andrew G. and Royce like this.
  24. DiamondDes

DiamondDes New Member

Jan 8, 2020
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Thanks Tatyana. Confirms approx age and that the Head Crown/Top is original although missing the eagle. Also interesting to note the back panel is the same configuration. Also shows base pediment which is nice.

25. Charles Laine

Charles Laine Registered User

Dec 30, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    My Gustav Becker.... purchased in Germany in 1978. Has run uninterrupted since. Simple fare, but my favorite.

Charles
    IMG-1001 (2).jpg IMG-1005.jpg IMG-1007.jpg IMG-1008.jpg IMG-1009.jpg IMG-1011.jpg IMG-1013.jpg

Sergio Vasquez likes this.
  26. Charles Laine

Charles Laine Registered User

Dec 30, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Sorry.... first photo (case is a Junghans). Cannot figure out how to remove.
    This is the correct GB.
    Charles

IMG-1012.jpg

27. DiamondDes

DiamondDes New Member

Jan 8, 2020
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Crown/Head with reproduction Eagle in Resin loose fitted. Whats you opinion people?

Crown before.jpg Crown with Eagle after.jpg

28. Susan Hadley

Dec 12, 2019
    Female
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I just wanted to follow up with everyone that the connector and pendulum of proper length was found in Poland! The wonders of the internet. Thanks everyone for their help and info. -sue
    GB connector.JPG

Royce likes this.
  29. rusty_apache

rusty_apache Registered User

Apr 18, 2011
    retired
    Alamo city
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I recently acquired this late 1925 Gustav Becker 2238088 and believe it’s working properly with the exception of the Westminster chime.
    It chimes Westminster every 1/4 hour but not at the top of the hour. It gongs on the hour according to the time but it is not preceded by the Westminster chime.
    Is it by design or is there more work in my future?
    8CDBFB0F-EDC2-4434-953E-45420795AD6F.jpeg
    View attachment 566968 00C691B7-B619-449A-8B0B-6B41888D3BC8.jpeg

30. NTimken

NTimken Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 24, 2007
    Male
    Attorney
    Queens, New York
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

My favorite a GB Westminster. Overhauled mine with my mentor a while back.
    It should play 4 notes each quarter.4-8-12
    On the hour, it plays the 12 then the hour chime.
    You need to make an adjustment.
    I can't recall what you do off the top of my head.
    Try looking at this Junghans thread: Striking out of sequence
    and this GB thread:
    Gustav Becker Westminster Service

N

31. rusty_apache

rusty_apache Registered User

Apr 18, 2011
    retired
    Alamo city
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks so much for the help.
    I read the thread you linked to and believe what I have is a 3/4 Westminster according to this....

“It now sounds like you have a 3/4 WM movement, so you'd get the 1/4, 1/2 and 3/4 hour chimes only, followed by strikes only on the hour”

9ADDB028-1474-4CF4-9EBA-D43AA637E805.jpeg
    Iwas wondering why the chime plate had 3/4 on it.
    This is my first Gustav Becker and my new favorite chime. I have a Junghans that is out of tune and strikes a most lovely melancholy minor chord.

32. NTimken

NTimken Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 24, 2007
    Male
    Attorney
    Queens, New York
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

Ah. That explains it. Mine is 4/4.

N

33. gintarasb64