Post Your Gustav Becker Clocks Here

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by Mike306p/Ansoniaman, Jul 5, 2006.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Sergio Vasquez

Sergio Vasquez Registered User

Oct 21, 2018
    Male
    Puerto Varas, Chile
    Country Flag:
    Hi Royce

Congrats, it is a very nice clock and the wood case as well. Does it have pendulum? I've seen in a GB catalog that the dial was associated with a pendulum.

As you can see in my avatar, my clock has the same dial as yours. In my case, the dial doesn't match with the pendulum as I've have seen in the catalog.

Let's wait for the experts that will give information about your GB clock.

Regards,

Sergio

Dave T likes this.
  2. KurtinSA

KurtinSA Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 24, 2014
    Aerospace Engineer (Ret.)
    San Antonio, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    macaw -

The DRP number is from about 1906 for a silent strike feature (you can search this thread for more info). The serial number dates it to late 1922.

Kurt

3. Royce

Royce Registered User

Oct 8, 2018
    Male
    Retired
    Houston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks Sergio. I've attached a picture of the pendulum.

Gustav Becker - 9.JPG

4. Sergio Vasquez

Sergio Vasquez Registered User

Oct 21, 2018
    Male
    Puerto Varas, Chile
    Country Flag:
    Thanks Royce.

Here is a pic that I've got from the dials and pendulum that I mentioned. For my dial it is a 7/8 that I don't know what does it mean.

Regards,

Sergio

Zifferblatt und Pendel.jpg

5. Estefania

Estefania New Member

Mar 20, 2019
    Female
    Country Flag:
    The clock is runnig now, after deep restoration. I only found 2 holes in the botton, but there are screws there, it doesn´t seem to indicate there is something missing there.
    THanks!

6. chimeclockfan

chimeclockfan Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 21, 2006
    Chime clock & gong studies.
    WI
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    This improved version of the Wewi Gong No. 16 movement started appearing in 1927, incorporating hammers held in place by tails rather than being entirely supported by their lifting wires. The hammer lifts and hammer shapes were also revised for better blow. This reduced lifting power strain, improved sound quality, and resulted in the chimes running more steadily throughout the week. Going by the serial number I believe your clock was made between 1930-1932 but John Hubby may provide a closer estimate.

The Wewi Gong No. 16 was a spring-driven 8 day dual chime movement playing Westminster and Whittington chimes on 9 gong rods. Though these clocks usually turned up in the British trade, the movement layout is very much American inspired with its wire-lifted hammers. Another unusual feature was the short 'tic-tac' pendulum and Brocot style escapement. These movements are exclusive to the tambour style cases. I do not have your clock's case number but it may be written on the bottom board - others like it have turned up sporadically. The Wewi-Gong No. 16 underwent several minor changes including:

1. Improved hammer lifts and hammers supported by tails as described above.
    2. Changing the Whittington chime pattern to the original English chime sequence (Gustav Becker's standard Whittington sequence was the 'Elite' variation first used by Charles Jacques in America).
    3. Shorter gong rods to accommodate some smaller cases, giving a somewhat higher pitched sound compared to the standard length rods.
    4. Hammers mounted on movement backplate instead of gong block to accommodate more sizes of cases.
    5. Hour strike is a 3 rods chord instead of just 1 single rod.

These variations reflect differing client demands though they make no real difference in regards to quality or enjoyment of these clocks.

WewiGong.jpg
    Original (1926) & improved (1927) movements.

Elite Whittington chime sequence, from a 1900's Bawo & Dotter (Jacques) catalog scan.
    EliteWhittington.jpg

7. Lizardcandy

Lizardcandy New Member

May 16, 2019
    Female
    Country Flag:
    #3007 Lizardcandy, May 16, 2019
    Last edited: May 17, 2019
    Hello everyone! I picked up a clock today for $5 in sad shape that I was going to let my son dismantle for fun. Upon closer inspection though, I realized it was older and better quality than I had thought.

I removed the face and it had some marks in the rear of the workings, they have a circular mark "medaille d'or" on the left and "Gustav becker Freiberg in schl" on the right. The serial number is 159168.

Clearly, I am missing some parts here. I believe after reading some of this thread that the clock must be around 1878 in date. I also realize I'm missing two pulleys and two weights, a key, a whole lot of finials, and perhaps a clip for the pendulum but I'm not sure on that one at all. My clock case seems both more elaborate in terms of wood used and simpler in terms of the turnings and details, which is confusing to me. The strings all in the mechanism must be what attaches the the pulleys.

I wondered if anyone could give me an idea of what the finials ought to look like, and
    where I can get pulleys, weights, and a key.

And if you could give me an idea if my guesses as to age, parts, and function are close to the mark, I'd value your expertise!

Thank you!

(I forgot to mention I won't let my child dismantle it haha, I'll probably take it to a clock repairman but I'm already anxious about the cost to restore it. I was hoping that getting the missing parts on my own would decrease the overall cost! The minute hand is in the case floating around, there's a small circular dome that goes on top --- hand washer? --- and a tiny piece of wire to hold the hands on? taped to the bottom of the case)

451372-ff7a642d10878a7cfdc4c1ea998311bf.jpg

451373-b856998d6f1cbb50fc8929dcb89b2364.jpg

451374-6e4dcaa8419255f857a26fd66ceaed7b.jpg

451375-1b509678e45856e92c1a0d1b7ef527df.jpg

451376-fd9a9b12b60b4da069d92d70152380c3.jpg
    I found a pretty burl veneered top when it got a wipe off, it was filthy!
    I thought the bottom was burl too but it was just schmutz, it's pretty wood though needs finials
    451377-7834d37c7c175e9ea64ea9db4102acde.jpg

clockback.jpg clockfromgoodwillprerestore.jpg clockface.jpg clockstrings.jpg clockaftercleanburltop.jpg clockbottom.jpg

Royce and Dave T like this.
  8. Dave T

Dave T Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 8, 2011
    retired accountant
    NC
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    $5? Wow. Beautiful clock
    Search the net for comparable examples for missing parts. Then find a woodturner to duplicate.

Lizardcandy likes this.
  9. Lizardcandy

Lizardcandy New Member

May 16, 2019
    Female
    Country Flag:
    Thank you

10. gintarasb64

gintarasb64 Registered User

Oct 1, 2012
    Male
    Lithuania
    Country Flag:
    Hello,
    I got Becker Regulator with unusual 3/4 quarter striking movement. It is funny that I had clock with similar option just few months ago and even made post to the forum ( Unusual Gustav Becker Vienna Regulator clock movement ) . So maybe this is not very unusual model Movement of my "new" clock misses some parts (lifting levers, hooks, etc). Fortunately I found 2010 post by Oled and John Hubby comments and with picture of very similar movement. Now I can identify what parts are missing and how they looks like:) Maybe someone could advice where can I find missing parts?
    Best regards
    Gintaras

20190530_215421.jpg panasus pvz.jpg

11. Old Asbury

Old Asbury New Member

Jun 16, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    New member. Have read a lot on the forum, but just never felt knowledgeable enough to join and post. Have a clock collection (German, British, French & American) and can clean and work on some, but leave the complicated issues to the professionals. Yes, I consider myself novice. Could you please help me identify and date this Becker movement? See attached pictures of the clock and movement.

Is this post 1926 after Junghans' Becker take over in 1926? Movement appears to strike and chime correctly. Obviously, the movement needs cleaning and possibly some repair (bushings--maybe, maybe not). I have looked thru a lot of this post, but cannot put my figure on an identical movement to be able to identify exact movement and date. This clock sat locked in a house for 25 years after the people passed away. The children finally decided to sell the estate. I bought this clock very reasonable (cheap) and wonder in your opinion if it is worth repairing? Case is in nice condition and the hands and dial face appear original--yes, I know not to try to clean the silvered dial face--lesson learned. I am of the opinion that all old or antique clocks are worth saving or preserving, but maybe that is because I am antique and feel like I need to preserve history.

Being a novice, the Westminster chime concerns me. Is there a book/manual or video out there on the repair (assembly/disassembly) of this particular movement with the Westminster chime? I am up to the challenge as long as I have a reference to lean on. I read a lot (books & on-line forums) and feel like I know when to stop and head to a professional. Any help or suggestions you could offer would be greatly appreciated.
    20190208_160921_resized_4.jpg 20190614_213747_resized.jpg 20190614_213756_resized.jpg 20190614_213836_resized.jpg 20190614_213936_resized.jpg 20190614_214048_resized.jpg 20190614_214117_resized.jpg 20190614_214125_resized.jpg 20190614_214153_resized.jpg Movement Serial #.jpg

20190208_160921_resized_4.jpg 20190614_213747_resized.jpg 20190614_213756_resized.jpg 20190614_213836_resized.jpg 20190614_213936_resized.jpg 20190614_214048_resized.jpg 20190614_214117_resized.jpg 20190614_214125_resized.jpg 20190614_214153_resized.jpg Movement Serial #.jpg

12. Royce

Royce Registered User

Oct 8, 2018
    Male
    Retired
    Houston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Old Asbury,

According to John Hubby's trademark chart, the trademark shown on your movement was used between 1887 - 1900.

13. TickerFixer

TickerFixer Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Country Flag:
    This is my first post, but I have been a long time lurker. I have enjoyed and learned a tremendous amount about repair and identification. I have been practicing clock repair since 2007. I have many of the necessary tools and equipment to do most repairs (Cleaning, bushing, pivot repair and small part fabrication. I am definitely not an expert and consider myself an apprentice! I have taken the basic clock course offered by NAWCC and worked at a small shop part time for several years for free just to gain some of the basic skills. (I loved it)

That being said, I have a 3wt G B Repeater (See Photo's) that was brought in to replace the broken fishing line on the strike side. The movement was not excessively dirty and looked to be oiled recently (by owner). I replaced all three lines with cat gut, and could only get it to run a few days at a time. The clock was in beat but seemed to be running weakly. A gentle push on the pendulum and it would run for again for a day or so. I questioned the owner who stated that it was running fine before the line broke and he admitted he did have to help it a couple of times a week or so.
    I disassembled the time train and noted that the pivot hole wear was not extremely bad, the pivots were smooth, all the gears had end-shake. The pallets did not show any wear but were set at different heights. and the anchor pivot hole looked to have been adjusted at some point in time.
    Could this be my problem? I do not want to start moving anything, until I find out the right sequence of moves to make. I'm not familiar with this type of clock as I have stuck to mostly the simple basic types of movements. I limited knowledge of adjustable pallets and would welcome any help or suggestions.

The owner asked how old the clock was and I dated it between 1885-90 based on the serial number. I have since read that my be unreliable and would appreciate any information about this clock. The gong system is obviously wrong and I would also like to find some information on the size and material that would have been used for the gong rod anchor so I could fabricate something more correct. The way it is now the quarter hour sounds like a cheap muffled cuckoo and the strike is not much better.

IMG_2848.jpeg IMG_2849.jpeg IMG_2850.jpeg IMG_2851.jpeg IMG_2852.jpeg IMG_2853.jpeg IMG_2854.jpeg IMG_2856.jpeg IMG_2848.jpeg IMG_2849.jpeg IMG_2850.jpeg IMG_2851.jpeg IMG_2852.jpeg IMG_2853.jpeg IMG_2854.jpeg IMG_2856.jpeg

14. TickerFixer

NAWCC Member

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Sorry about the double photo's.

15. KurtinSA

KurtinSA Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 24, 2014
    San Antonio, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    As for the serial number 616801 and the Branau stamp, the clock was manufactured in late 1912.

Kurt

16. Dave T

Dave T Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 8, 2011
    retired accountant
    NC
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I've been waiting for the experts to reply here. But to my thinking, I'd let it run and watch the escapement closely. Watch to see if it's in beat, and see how much lock and drop you have. It's possible someone has raised or lowered the anchor to the point that the engagement with the escape wheel is not correct.

17. TickerFixer

NAWCC Member

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Thank You Kurt for the date information!

Dave T, Thank you.
    The clock is in beat. At rest the pendulum is in the center of the rating scale, but when running it is swinging farther to the left. I was going to equalize the pallet lengths (Raise the long one/Lower the short one) hoping to correct that. Put the ew and verge in a depting tool set to the pivot holes and the lock and drop look ok, but again I have limited knowledge on this type of movement. I may have to build a stand to see the movement run out of the case.

18. Dave T

Dave T Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 8, 2011
    retired accountant
    NC
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The pendulum at rest will be at center regardless of whether it's in beat or not.
    I would be hesitant to start adjusting the pallets yet.
    It would be a lot better to have it out of the case and on a stand.

Sounds like it's out of beat to me. I'd first adjust the pendulum crutch to equalize the anchor. I like to listen to it to be able to hear that it's beating evenly.

Might be good to move this conversation over to clock repair. Knowledeable folks will more likely see what you're dealing with.
    A moderator could assist you, or you could start a new thread.

19. TickerFixer

NAWCC Member

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Thanks again Dave, I will agree with you, I do not want to touch the pallets!! I put it on a stand and It currently is running (2hrs) and sounds good. I check it again in the morning.

Dave T likes this.
  20. Eric210

Eric210 New Member

Jul 7, 2019
    Country Flag:
    I just got this beauty GB that my great grandmother had brought to the US from Holland. I've done quite a bit perusing but haven't come across the same model anywhere. She's about 6.5 ft tall, pictures/details below. Hoping to find out the year of manufacture in Freiburg and perhaps the model name. I'll post the serial number shortly as well.

DRP 171659

Gustav Becker Freiburg anchor stamp

Medaille D'Or

Appreciate any info anyone has!

Thanks,
    Eric

IMG950794_01.jpg IMG_20190707_175803~3.jpg IMG_0806.JPEG.jpg IMG_0805.JPEG.jpg Screenshot_20190710-102305.png Screenshot_20190710-102253.png IMG950794.jpg IMG_20190707_175803~3.jpg IMG_0799.JPEG.jpg IMG_0801.JPEG.jpg

21. KurtinSA

KurtinSA Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 24, 2014
    San Antonio, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Welcome to the message board! There is usually a number at the bottom of the back plate. I see a strap in that area...I suspect that the number is there. That will allow us to date the clock. The DRP number refers to a silent strike mechanism that was first used in 1906 and went on for a number of years. Can't really help with a model, though.

Kurt

22. Royce

Royce Registered User

Oct 8, 2018
    Male
    Retired
    Houston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Eric,

Based on the information from this MB's resident Gustav Becker expert, John Hubby, your clock is from the period 1877-1925. Below is the trademark information John has assimilated. Beautiful clock!!
    Royce
    1411-freiburg-logos-jpg.jpg

23. Eric210

Eric210 New Member

Jul 7, 2019
    Country Flag:
    Thank you Kurt and Royce for the info. I have some additional info now and pics.

Serial number: 2,347,327
    Based on the logo chart, it's between 1877 and 1925, but what I've seen about serial numbers it's 1926. Could there be slight overlap in numbers from 1925-1926?
    Side note...while I had the weights out I was curious and opened one because the cap was loose and found newspapers rolled around the weights from Berlin and they were dated Tuesday April 5 1921 is what I think it translates to. Would they have 5 year old newspapers to silence weights?

What do y'all think?

IMG_0827.JPEG.jpg IMG_0828.JPEG.jpg IMG_0836.JPEG.jpg IMG_0833.JPEG.jpg IMG_0822.JPEG.jpg IMG_0827.JPEG.jpg IMG_0831.JPEG.jpg IMG_0836.JPEG.jpg IMG_0825.JPEG.jpg IMG_0826.JPEG.jpg IMG_0832.JPEG.jpg

24. KurtinSA

KurtinSA Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 24, 2014
    San Antonio, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Interesting on the newspaper...what a find. According to John Hubby's data, your clock is dated to late 1918. Maybe it ran for a few years and they need the newspaper to take up the gap to keep it from rattling around.

Kurt

25. Royce

Royce Registered User

Oct 8, 2018
    Male
    Retired
    Houston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    With the number of clocks they produced annually, I would anticipate that 1921 or 1922 would be a reasonable assumption, IMHO.

26. Eric210

Eric210 New Member

Jul 7, 2019
    Country Flag:
    Awesome so I’d say with the newspapers in the weights dated to 1921 it’s safe to call it a manufactured in 1921.

Does anyone have any information as to which catalog this might be found in and where I could purchase it online?

27. KurtinSA

KurtinSA Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 24, 2014
    San Antonio, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Not to be a stickler, but the clock could have been built at most any time and then sometime in or after 1921 they decided to put the piece of paper into the weight. John Hubby has extensively researched the production of GB clocks and has come up with the best estimates for construction based up the serial number. That info is here:

Post Your Gustav Becker Clocks Here

I'm not personally aware of catalogs being readily available. Possibly someone with an existing catalog can provide a listing for your clock.

Kurt

28. Royce

Royce Registered User

Oct 8, 2018
    Male
    Retired
    Houston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Kurt, good point!! That sounds reasonable in explaining the difference in the John Hubby's serial number year of 1918 and the newspaper dated 1921.
    Royce

29. Eric210

Eric210 New Member

Jul 7, 2019
    Country Flag:
    Valid point there Kurt. Is it common to find newspapers in the weights to silence the gap between the weight and the casing?? At first I thought maybe it was done at the time of manufacturing, but if so i'm sure everyone would use that to date their clocks extremely accurately!

30. Lizardcandy

Lizardcandy New Member

May 16, 2019
    Female
    Country Flag:

My $5 clock upthread has had a vacation at a clock repair man's house and finally will be ready to come home tomorrow! I'm super excited to get it back. It very closely resembles the case of this clock here, though mine is from 1878. Did you repair the chipping black paint on your clock? I want to touch mine up, but my repair guy acted like I was a monster when I suggested it. My point of view is that the clock will have new finials and weights, though everything else is original. It's still always going to have new replacement parts, so the value is already impacted, so I should touch up what I want to touch up and enjoy it. But then I feel like I'm being a monster haha.

I'd like to know what the accepted practice is when it comes to touching up chipping paint on these old clocks and should I keep my hands off it and just let it chip or should I touch it up even if I'm then sent to some sort of clock purgatory because of my meddling?

31. MuensterMann

MuensterMann Registered User

Mar 23, 2008
    Hello, I have a Gustav Becker grandfather clock that I am trying to date. It has a bim-bam movement and 5 chime rods. The GB symbol seems to be either starting in 1894 or 1914 according to a GB symbol chart poster earlier. I may have to clean the movement first to gather more details from it. The number is 2488120. Photos of case and movement below.
    IMG_0504 (002).jpg IMG_0505 (002).jpg IMG_0508 (002).jpg

32. KurtinSA

KurtinSA Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 24, 2014
    San Antonio, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Based upon John Hubby's dating table, 2488120 dates to around September 1924.

Kurt

33. MuensterMann

Mar 23, 2008
    Thank you Kurt! Looking at the symbol a little more closely, I believe it is the mark from 1914 to 1934. So, it all makes sense.

34. MuensterMann

Mar 23, 2008
    The clock has 5 chime rods, but I notice there are two old holes that are not used. Was there a particular gong unit that was used on GB grandfather clocks back in 1924? If so, what was it and what did it look like? Thanks! So far, I know the pendulum is not original.

35. KurtinSA

KurtinSA Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 24, 2014
    San Antonio, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Do you have a picture of the existing chime rods and attachment to the backboard?

Kurt

36. MuensterMann

Mar 23, 2008
    Here is a photo.

gong.JPG

Hairyarsedpeanut likes this.
  37. MuensterMann

Mar 23, 2008
    Does the gong look original to this particular clock?

38. KurtinSA

KurtinSA Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 24, 2014
    San Antonio, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    MM -

I can't really say on the gong/block. I looked at other gongs in this thread but didn't find yours listed. At some point, John Hubby may weigh in with more specifics.

Kurt

39. MuensterMann

Mar 23, 2008
    I am thinking that it may have started with a Regina 5-rod set.

40. tarant

tarant Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Neurohorologist ;)
    Wroclaw
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Remove this gong and check if there are traces of any previous one?

41. MuensterMann

Mar 23, 2008
    On the back of the clock I do see two other holes.

42. Hairyarsedpeanut

Hairyarsedpeanut Registered User

Aug 3, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    752BB8DC-4354-40CF-9F7A-565B233EB00E.jpeg 71663BD0-72E1-43D5-AA15-AE99B55EAC62.jpeg 40F5BCE4-5126-42F8-A210-FD743E82BAD9.png 349482D9-9B02-459B-8FA8-870728331E8F.jpeg

Hi apologies if I’ve done this wrong I’m clueless!

I’ve acquired a Gustav Becker Vienna wall clock and wondered if anybody could help me identify it and tell me anything about it please.

It needs some tlc but it looks worth it, I think, so all help and advice gratefully received.

Cheers

Ste

43. KurtinSA

KurtinSA Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 24, 2014
    San Antonio, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Welcome to the message board! The serial number dates the clock to the spring of 1899. Definitely worth servicing the clock. If you get a chance, post pictures of the whole clock and case. Others may have additional information based upon that.

Kurt

44. Hairyarsedpeanut

Aug 3, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Hi cheers mate.

Yeah I’m gonna put some more on when I get home in about an hour

45. Hairyarsedpeanut

Aug 3, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    No worries, what kinda thing should I look for? Cheers

46. Hairyarsedpeanut

Aug 3, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    I’ll have a look what would that mean?

47. Hairyarsedpeanut

Aug 3, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Yo b
    to be honest we’ve never seen a clock like this, can find anything about it anywhere.

48. Hairyarsedpeanut

Aug 3, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Not on me, I’ll take photos and put them on. There maybe stuff missing to be honest don’t know anything about them

49. Hairyarsedpeanut

Aug 3, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    3B28AC97-D88E-4734-83FD-AFD39E09421B.jpeg T
    This is the only photo on my phone, all bits missing I believe are in bag

50. Hairyarsedpeanut

Aug 3, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Li
    I’ve no idea, the mark is anchor with a crown with a clock face in the crown. If it’s no good I’ll give it charity shop