Post Your Gustav Becker Clocks Here

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by Mike306p/Ansoniaman, Jul 5, 2006.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. tarant

tarant Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Wroclaw
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Could You post the photo of the mounting bracket ?

2. George Nelson

George Nelson Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Retired
    Tennessee
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #2652 George Nelson, Jan 19, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 26, 2017
    Hi, Piotr,

Here is a picture of the mounting bracket. Sorry I didn't include it originally. Hope it helps! -George

Attached Files:

• gong.jpg
      File size:
      131.3 KB
      Views:
  3. George Nelson

NAWCC Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Retired
    Tennessee
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I have posted a picture of the mounting bracket, as requested. Any thoughts from anyone? Thanks!

4. tarant

tarant Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Wroclaw
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I had doubts whether this case was originally made by GB in Freiburg. Looks more like the Austro - Hungarian model, but everything is OK, I think.

5. George Nelson

NAWCC Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Retired
    Tennessee
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #2655 George Nelson, Jan 25, 2017
    Hi, Pitor and All,

Thanks, Pitor, for your thoughts. I'm relieved that you believe everything is original. Now, on to two other questions. The beat adjustment on this clock is new to me, as I collect almost totally American clocks. Are there any special things to know about it? Adjusting the beat on this example is proving to be difficult. Frankly, it seems easier to tweak the position on the wall (not noticeable when looking at it on the wall), rather than fiddling with this device. Also, what do the initials "DBR" on the top of the pendulum stand for? Any help here? Thanks. -George

Attached Files:

6. George Nelson

NAWCC Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Retired
    Tennessee
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #2656 George Nelson, Jan 25, 2017
    Sorry- one last question here. Does anyone have a catalog reference to this model? Many, many thanks to all for any help! -
    George

7. John Hubby

John Hubby Principal Administrator
    NAWCC Member

Sep 7, 2000
    The Woodlands, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #2657 John Hubby, Jan 26, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2017
    George, thanks for your inquiry and posting the photos of your GB clock. I agree with Piotr that it appears to be all original except for the two "leaf" carvings on the pediment; from the back photo those are obviously add-ons. I looked through the available GB catalogs and while there were some similar cases none was an exact match. The oak case is a little unusual, the majority were of walnut with a fair number in mahogany.

Based on the logos and serial number, your clock was made at their GB Freiburg, Silesia factory just after mid-1908. The movement is typical of the weight driven designs of that period. The "P64" stamp is the pendulum length in centimeters, measured from the suspension hanger to the bottom tip of the pendulum rod. That measure was given so that a correct case size could be selected when being cased by third party buyers as well as for internal control.

You asked:
    The pendulum crutch and beat adjusting hanger on your movement was patented as DGMS 103274 in November 1898 by Regulatorfabrik Germania but used shortly after by GB. Germania is one of the five companies who merged with GB in June 1899 to form "United Freiberger Clock Factories formerly Gustav Becker" (VFU). After the merger the GB name and logos remained the only ones used; the others disappeared but their inventions such as this one continued in use. The DGMS latest expiry date would be 1904 so there is no indication on your clock of this number. Earlier clocks had "DGMS 103274" stamped on the pendulum crutch. The "D.R.P." that is stamped on the pendulum upper end refers to the patent for the trapezoid-shaped clasp on the bottom end of the pendulum hanger that mates with the similarly shaped upper end of the pendulum rod. That patent has not yet been identified but is believed to have originated about 1893 with A. Willmann & Co, another of the five companies that merged with GB. The D.R.P. full patents (DGMS is a design or use patent valid for 3 years, extendable for another 3) were for varying periods across the history of the German patent office but at the time this one was granted it would have been for 15 years, with expiry in 1908. Your clock has the highest serial number with this feature recorded to date and would be one of the last made with the stamp. However, GB continued to use this clasp design until the Freiburg factory closed permanently at the end of 1932.

As far as using this device for adjusting the beat, I find it to be quite easily adjusted. Here is a photo of one from the other side as yours. The compression washer at the center should be held just tight enough to hold the position of the rocker arm and crutch pin. Be sure the completely clean all these parts and reassemble with a drop of light oil where they are in contact with each other. I think you will find this easy to use once you have serviced it properly.

2022111 Beat Adjust.jpg

8. Walesey

Walesey Registered User
    NAWCC Member

May 24, 2012
    High School Science Laboratory Assistant
    Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #2658 Walesey, Jan 26, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 27, 2017
    John,
    The photo of the beat adjuster does not seem to have come through for me
    Cheers
    Walesey

9. John Hubby

NAWCC Member

Sep 7, 2000
    The Woodlands, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #2659 John Hubby, Jan 26, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2017
    Hello Walesey, that's strange as it is showing in my view of the thread including the quote copy you made? I'll need to look into this if there are any others who can't see it.

EDIT MESSAGE:
    Hello Walesey and all, I found the problem, has to do with the large size photo issues we have been having with the MB. The problem is that the "WYSIWYG" editor option is broken and will not be able to fix that until we do a complete site upgrade which is being tested off-line now.

To fix this I changed my message writing prerences to "Standard Editor" and that took care of the failure to post and also didn't post an oversize image. The photo has been reinserted and all should be able to see it and click on it for a larger view. For the time being I recommend that anyone using the "WYSIWYG" message writing configuration change it to "Standard Editor".

Click on the "Your Settings" link at the top right corner of the screen, then click on "General Settings" in the "My Account" box in the menu at the left of the screen that comes up. You can then scroll down to "Miscellaneous Settings" "Message Editor Interface", click on "Standard Editor" and on "Save" at the bottom of the page.

Voila! No more photo problems!

10. KurtinSA

KurtinSA Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 24, 2014
    Aerospace Engineer
    San Antonio, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I can't see it.

Kurt

11. George Nelson

NAWCC Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Retired
    Tennessee
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi, John and all,

I can't see the picture either, but I am SO VERY grateful for the information you provided! It is most complete, and I've printed out a copy to keep with the clock. I sincerely appreciate the time you spent with your response, and once again your help and the help of everyone on this board has been immeasurably appreciated! Warmest regards to all, George Nelson

12. Penduleklok

Penduleklok Registered User

Feb 3, 2017
    Country Flag:
    Gb silesia p18 h s

Dear all,

I am brandnew on this site and forum and still unaware how to upload pictures.

My GB clock comes from grandma and I am wondering if the age can be narrowed down.
    Grandparents married in 1921 and the clock could have been a gift for that occasion?
    I can send pictures on request.

Regards, Klaas.

13. JTD

JTD Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 27, 2005
    Re: Gb silesia p18 h s

Welcome to the board Klaas.

If you use the little camera icon in the tool at the top of the box when you write your message, you can post photos that way. And there is also a guide at the beginning of the forum about how to post photos.

Please post the pictures and I am sure you can be helped.

JTD

14. Penduleklok

Feb 3, 2017
    Country Flag:
    #2664 Penduleklok, Feb 3, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2017

Thanks JTD!
    Uploading went fine.
    Looking forward to hints anyone may have.
    Klaas

20170203_172032.jpg 20170203_171916.jpg IMG_20170203_152401.jpg IMG_20170203_153500.jpg IMG_20170203_153540.jpg

15. Penduleklok

Feb 3, 2017
    Country Flag:

Dear all,

Apollagies!
    As newby I inadvertently started a new thread, whereas I intended to post in the already existing thread:

" Post Your Gustav Becker Clocks Here ".

Hopefully this can be repositioned? By moderator?

Klaas

16. ClockCollector

ClockCollector Registered User

Aug 5, 2013
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

A nice looking clock. It's interesting how the P18 stamp looks like it was originally drilled out. Perhaps there was an error in the stamping originally, so they simply drilled slightly into the plate and put a new stamp on it. I've not seen a GB so far that has had that.

CC

17. Penduleklok

Feb 3, 2017
    Country Flag:
    Dear all,

Apollagies!
    As newby I inadvertently started a new thread under "clocks general", "GB SILESIA P18 H S" whereas I intended to post in this already existing thread:

" Post Your Gustav Becker Clocks Here ".

Hopefully this can be repositioned? By moderator?

Klaas

18. harold bain

harold bain Forums Administrator
    Donor NAWCC Member

Nov 4, 2002
    Male
    self-employed in the clock business
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

I will leave it where it is for now. Our resident Becker expert, John Hubby, will be along with more information for you. Lacking a serial number, there is a good possibility the clock could have been a wedding present for your grandparents.

19. Steven Thornberry

Steven Thornberry User Administrator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Country Flag:
    I have combined your thread with the Gustav Becker thread.

20. KurtinSA

KurtinSA Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 24, 2014
    Aerospace Engineer
    San Antonio, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    From John's previous postings, it would appear that the logo on the back plate was used during the 1906 to 1925 timeframe, so it fits with the idea that it was given as a gift in the early 1920s. I think this was used on the "Amerikaner" movements during this period.

Kurt

21. John Hubby

NAWCC Member

Sep 7, 2000
    The Woodlands, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #2671 John Hubby, Feb 3, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2017

Klaas, welcome to the NAWCC Message Board! Thanks for posting your inquiry and providing photos of your Gustav Becker clock. In particular it helps a lot that you know when your grandparents were married and that the clock may have been a gift about that time.

In looking at the photos and also checking the catalogs we have available, this is an interesting clock. Here are some observations:

>> The "SILESIA" stamp underneath the GB anchor logo on the movement shows the clock could not have been made after May 1925, when that stamp was discontinued.

>> The letter "H" stamped on the right side of the movement tells us the movement has lantern pinions ("H" for Hohltreiben or Lantern pinions). This variant of the SILESIA movements (normally they had solid cut pinions) has not been documented earlier than late 1923 until now.

>> The case is Model No. 386 as illustrated in the 1912 GB sale catalog, as seen here:
    Model 386 Lancet 3-Glass Bkt.jpg Notice that this illustration shows the case being made of polished mahogany, where your case is made of oak. The oak would indicate a later date than 1912, and favor being made in the 1920s. This model isn't found in the 1924 GB catalog, possibly discontinued before that catalog was printed. However, we do know that a majority of case designs were used for some years and not always shown in every catalog.

>> The "P18" pendulum length stamp being in a "drilled out" circle is not at all unusual, although some of you may not have seen this before. This was not an error but done intentionally at the factory. The pendulum length for GB "Amerikaner" movements can be easily changed by the replacement of the anchor, the escape wheel, and the wheel between the escape and center wheels. No other mechanical changes are needed. This applies for pendulums as short as P12 to as long as P65. The new pendulum length will either be overstamped or as in this clock the previous length milled out and the correct one stamped.

Klaas, if there is any way to get confirmation exactly when your grandparents acquired this clock that would be wonderful information. My present judgement is that the clock was actually made around late 1923 based on other dated examples of this movement configuration.

22. Walesey

Walesey Registered User
    NAWCC Member

May 24, 2012
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks John. Much appreciated!
    Walesey

23. Penduleklok

Feb 3, 2017
    Country Flag:

John,
    Thanks for your interesting analyses of my clock's characteristics.

If I ever get additional confirmation I will certainly post it; to date this is my best guess thusfar.

Particularly I appreciate the catalogue 1912 showing it as model 386: the model therefor existed in 1921.
    However, the H suggests 1923 or later, making my best guess of wedding present 1921 unlikely....
    Unless the initial was "reconditioned" after warranty complaints (replacing the complete mechanism for a new one)??

24. gintarasb64

gintarasb64 Registered User

Oct 1, 2012
    Male
    Lithuania
    Country Flag:

I would like to post Concordia 2 weight clock in this thread. When I bought this clock the case was painted in black. I removed black color and found that case is made from walnut but some parts were already replaced. It would be very interesting to get more information about the clock and ideas about the case.

Best regards
    Gintaras

Attached Files:

25. John Hubby

NAWCC Member

Sep 7, 2000
    The Woodlands, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

Gintaras, thanks for posting your Concordia clock. We don't have a specific thread for this maker since very few of their clocks seem to be available. I have been collecting data for almost 10 years and now have only 15 clocks in my database including yours. The serial number indicates your clock was made about 1891. It will be appreciated if you could post a photo of the complete back of the movement so we can see the crutch, crutch bridge, and other details. Also, a photo of the movement mounting bracket will be appreciated.

Regarding your case, it is missing the pediment and bottom center finial. You mention some of the wood has been replaced, that must be why it was painted black. It is possible to find matching walnut but then each part has to be hand made to fit. Unfortunately I don't have photos of this style case in my archives, I would suggest searching through this thread to find a GB clock with a similar case design that has its pediment and use that as a pattern.

26. Penduleklok

Feb 3, 2017
    Country Flag:

John,
    Some updates on my clock:

I had my clock overhauled by a local clockmaker: taken apart, cleaned, some new bushings and now it happily ticks the time away in my living!

Regarding date of origin: I have been researching how to clarify your best guess of past 1923....
    1. Whatever it may indicate: the door of the casing holds 2 separate impressed numbers close to eachother: a 1 and a 7. Combined they could be interpreted ass casing bithyear 1917:???:
    2. My grandmother was widowed twice and had 3 husbands.
    - my grandfather married her in 1921,
    - her second husband married her as his second wife and was married before in 1925,
    - her third husband married her as his second wife and was married before in 1923.
    My best conclusion therefor: the clock stems from 1924 and was a weddingpresent in 1925; at the occasion of the first marriage of my grandma's second husband. Most likely, when he remarried my grandma he brought in his clock.

27. gintarasb64

Oct 1, 2012
    Male
    Lithuania
    Country Flag:

Thank you John for detail information as always. Attached are additional photo of the clock. Best regards

Gintaras

Attached Files:

28. tarant

tarant Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Wroclaw
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #2678 tarant, Mar 1, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 8, 2017

Recently there's a flood of mainly unsigned Concordia clocks on KMZiZ forum.

14826 (signed)
    2908(3?) (signed)
    5(3?)294
    9(?)270

Attached Files:

29. tarant

tarant Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Wroclaw
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #2679 tarant, Mar 6, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 8, 2017

Another strange GB, presented on KMZiZ Forum. Serial number, 3886 repeated on both plates. Signatures from Freiburg in the arrangement used until 1896. Missing numerals or early product for the Braunau factory?

Attached Files:

30. misha1973

misha1973 Registered User

Mar 8, 2017
    business consultant
    Kac
    Country Flag:
    Greetings, guys!

I was fortunate enough to figure out that old clock on the wall, that nobody cared about, turned out to be Gustav Becker from 1872., serial number 59798 :)

And it's working like a charm ! IMG_20170305_154618.jpg 2.jpg IMG_20170308_191137.jpg

Now I am even considering selling it...

31. tarant

tarant Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Wroclaw
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Tis is not Becker, but Gebruder Resch from Ebensee. Clock was made about the year 1888. Spring driven clocks from this manufactory are not common. Spiral gong is broken.

32. John Hubby

NAWCC Member

Sep 7, 2000
    The Woodlands, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

This one is strange indeed. Here are some observations:

1) This is a movement with external countwheel on the back plate, the earliest documented for GB was made in August, 1899, shortly after the merger. The GB movements made at that time are quite different compared to this one, it appears to me the GB version was a new design.

2) Two other Freiburg companies made/sold external countwheel movements, being Willmann and Endler. The movements of these companies are both different from each other as well as being different from either the "new" GB or this movement.

3) This movement has the reversed position of the GBF and Medaille d'Or stamps, which was last used by GB in July, 1896, and never appeared before on any external countwheel movement.

4) Could it be a low serial number for Braunau? That would have to be 1888, which would fit the reversed logos if the movement had been made in Freiburg. However, how is it possible as that was 11 years before the rear countwheel shows up in Freiburg?

So, we have quite a mystery here. This movement doesn't match any of the other GB or GB "child" company movements. Perhaps if someone can compare to some of the others who made this type of movement a match can be found.

33. WRabbit

WRabbit Registered User
    Donor NAWCC Member

Jun 1, 2016
    Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #2683 WRabbit, Mar 20, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 21, 2017
    Becker 2 Wt Vienna

I picked up a project clock from a fellow chapter member this weekend and have a few questions and a comment.

* Was this made in Silesia?

* After trying to figure out the logo/serial number thing, is 1895-1896 a reasonable guess?

* The crown/topper is obviously aftermarket. Can someone share pictures of what it should look like?

This is the first time I've run across cat gut. It's gotta go.

Attached Files:

34. John Hubby

NAWCC Member

Sep 7, 2000
    The Woodlands, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #2684 John Hubby, Mar 21, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
    Re: Becker 2 Wt Vienna

WRabbit, thanks for posting your inquiry and the photos of your new GB project. I'll provide my comments after each item.

Yes, actually in the GB factory in Freiburg, Silesia. The circular GB logo to the right of the two stamps on the back plate says "Freiburg in Schl.", where "Schl." is the abbreviation for Schlesien or Silesia in German.

Those dates are a bit later than the clock was made. Based on the serial number 1147234 the movement was completed in October-November 1894.

The pediment (also called crown, topper, headpiece, etc.) does look to be a replacement. The originals were a bit more elaborate than that one, here are a couple of photos of clocks made just before and after yours:

View attachment 337143 View attachment 337144

Actually there was a huge variety of designs available and in most cases multiple choices to fit the same basic case. If you will search through this thread look for clocks with serial numbers not to far away from yours to see what other variety you can find.

You might rethink changing from gut to the "other" materials. I very much prefer gut to cable or braided nylon or any of the modern "replacements", if for no other reason than authenticity and appearance. If you buy synthetic gut there is little or no chance you will ever have a failure as it is rated well in excess of the load from the weights. My preference is the synthetic offered by Meadows & Passmore in the UK, a bit more expensive than buying in the U.S. but excellent quality and prompt service. I have been using this for more than 35 years with no problems of any kind.

I notice that the minute hand is not original to the clock. It would most likely have had a double ended version of the hour hand as seen in this photo:

View attachment 337145
    This style of hands was used for 80-90% of the weight driven clocks made within a plus/minus 3 year period from your clock. You should check internet sources, these can be found either sold separately or with a parts movement.

Good luck with your project, keep us posted with your progress.

35. WRabbit

WRabbit Registered User
    Donor NAWCC Member

Jun 1, 2016
    Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Re: Becker 2 Wt Vienna

John,

Thanks for the reply to my questions and the comment on the mismatched hands. I didn't notice the hands until you pointed it out. I'm sure a replacement set will be a fairly easy find.

For some reason the links you provided don't work for me. Can you fix them?

Here's a few more pictures, one showing the snail mounted to the hour pipe and another showing the verge.

Attached Files:

36. Cameron1127

Cameron1127 New Member

Mar 26, 2017
    Country Flag:
    Hello, I'm Cameron. I don't know much about clocks, but i recently purchased one from a garage sale.
    I was wondering if you would be able to give me any information on it and if is a legitimate clock. It appears to have a Gustav Becker mark on it.

The only thing the guy i got it from knew about it was that it was his grandfathers, and it had been sitting in his closet for years.

It winds up and seems to keep time pretty well, i haven't heard it chime though.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Attached Files:

37. tarant

tarant Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Wroclaw
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
  38. John Hubby

NAWCC Member

Sep 7, 2000
    The Woodlands, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Cameron, welcome to the NAWCC Message Board! Thanks for your inquiry and posting of photos of your GB clock.

What you have is a model No. 37 "Baro-Thermometre" clock originally made by GB for the French market but also sold in other countries. Here is an illustration of your exact clock from a 1911-1912 GB sale catalog for the French market:

View attachment 339187
    The information with the illustration shows these were made from French walnut and as can be seen from your clock quite well made. The movement serial number shows the clock was made near the beginning of 1908. It is certainly a legitimate GB clock, not only by finding the exact model in a period catalog, but also from the features including the GB rod gong, the GB Anchor logo stamped on the back plate of the movement, and the serial number providing for accurate dating.

39. John Hubby

NAWCC Member

Sep 7, 2000
    The Woodlands, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Piotr, thanks very much for posting another of this unusual strike mechanism. I now have six of these in my data, starting late 1879 and continuing to mid-1881. This one was made about Feb-Mar 1881 based on the serial number 276817. I have not yet found a patent number that can be associated with this feature but will keep looking.

The "double Medaille d'Or" stamp has now been found two times unless you have a third one. The serial number I documented when this appeared earlier was 177923, that also had the Furderer Jaegler name stamped. It seems to me this double logo was probably done on special request to GB.

40. tarant

tarant Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Wroclaw
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Did you read PM about GB from me?

41. John Hubby

NAWCC Member

Sep 7, 2000
    The Woodlands, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Yes I did, have now completed a translation that I believe is more or less correct as follows:

Here is the GB ad from the 1852 Silesian Industrial Exhibition Catalog:

View attachment 339265

Original German:

8 Tage gehende Regulators eigener Fabrik, in geschmackvollem Mahagoni und Polhrander Gehäuse, Email. Sowie Beinglas Zifferblätter, von 3 - 7 Zoll - mit und ohne Remontoir - im Preise von 15 - 22 Thlr.,
    8 Tage gehende Uhren mit Schlagwerk, sowie Monat gehende Regulators, empfiehlt im Einzelnen - wo für den richtigen Gang garantiert wird - wie den Herren Uhrmachern und Uhrenhandlungen:

Freiburg i/S Gustav Becker

English Translation:

8-day going take-up motion of own factory, in tasteful mahogany and rosewood housing, email. As well as leg glass clockfaces, from 3 - 7 duties(customs) - with and without Remontoir - in the price of 15 - 22 Thlr., 8 days going watches(clocks) with striking mechanism, as well as month going take-up motion, recommends in particular - where is guaranteed the correct way(walk) - like the men for watchmakers and watch businesses:

Freiburg i/S Gustav Becker

Of particular interest are the types of clocks being made at that time (as best I can interpret) that included the following:

All clocks mentioned appear to have been offered with mahogany and rosewood cases and enamel dials.

>> 8-Day weight driven time-only clocks, with or without remontoir (may have applied to the other two types as well).

>> 8-Day (weight driven?) time and strike clocks.

>> 30-Day (month going) weight driven time-only clocks.

I don't recall seeing any early GB clocks with a true remontoir design, I suspect this refers to having maintaining power which has been found on all the weight driven GB clocks I have seen. Also, as of today I have not seen any time and strike GB clocks made before 1867, twelve years after this ad was published. The earliest one documented so far has serial number 22093.

Please comment and provide your interpretation and improvements on the translation.

42. tarant

tarant Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Wroclaw
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #2692 tarant, Apr 6, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2017
    I had this same problem with "mit und ohne Remontoir" And the maintaining power seems to be the only explanation.
    This second kind of wood may by Polysander palisander. von 3 - 7 Zoll from 3 -7 inches (diameter of the dials).
    I've seen striking GB with the SN 1378, and recently presented on KMZIZ forum clock with SN 6041.

43. John Hubby

NAWCC Member

Sep 7, 2000
    The Woodlands, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #2693 John Hubby, Apr 7, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2017
    Piotr, thanks for your prompt reply and excellent comments. The word "Palisander" is one of the German words for classical Rosewood (Brazilian or Asian) and I have found it used on several German clocks that used Rosewood either for trim or for complete veneering of the case. I own the L. Furtwängler Söhne Vienna style torsion clock based on the Jehlin patent, and it has a Rosewood case with a label on the back giving that information. Also thanks for the dial diameter information; I suspected that was what it meant but not sure.

Is it possible for you to send or post photos for the two low serial number striking clocks you mentioned? That would be a wonderful addition to the GB database.

44. tarant

tarant Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Wroclaw
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
  45. twisted haywire

twisted haywire New Member

Apr 3, 2017
    Country Flag:
    Hey
    I recently inherited a clock after my grandmother,
    View attachment 339596
    it has been in my family since sometime after 1971, when my grandfather obtain it from the local watchmaker who had bought three from some train stations.
    when my grandparents moved 17 years ago it ended up in they attic (freezing winters and hot summers), which will not good for the clock did end up saving it from the fire that took my 90 years old grandmother (my grandfather had died 2 years ago), I have cleaned the outside of the case to make it smell less of smoke.

now I would like to find out a bit more about it.
    the serial number on the back is 1675280 and P65.5. and the following mark
    View attachment 339595

also I would like to make it run again, but it stops after 10-30 minutes ( I did have it running for 4 hours once before accidentally bumping the case)

46. Walesey

Walesey Registered User
    NAWCC Member

May 24, 2012
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #2696 Walesey, Apr 9, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2017
    Hi Twisted Haywire,

Welcome to the message board, and thanks for the picture of your lovely clock!

Looking at John Hubby's list of dates and serial numbers, it would seem that your clock was manufactures late in the year of 1902. The P65.5 on your clock refers to the pendulum length.

Can you tell if your clock is "in beat"? It should have a very even Tick - Tock - Tick - tock sound, with exactly the same time between the tick and the tock as between the tock and the next tick. It will not run unless it is perfectly in beat.

If the clock has been in the attic for many years, it will need to be properly cleaned and oiled, otherwise, running the clock dry and dirty will cause damage to the mechanism (like running a car engine without oil) You can probably get away with running it for a very short time, to put it "In Beat"

You can quickly adjust the beat of the clock by simply tilting the clock one way or the other. If the clock is hanging on the wall, then just move the bottom of the clock sideways (a millimetre or two) one way and listen to see if the tick - tock is more even or less even. If it is worse, then move the bottom of the clock back the other way. When you get the clock tick tocking perfectly evenly, see if it will run without stopping then. This quick method may well leave your clock hanging very crocked on the wall. There is a better way, which will take a little longer. We will get to that.

If it runs well when you have set the beat , then you need to have the mechanism cleaned and oiled, either by a clock maker or by yourself. People on this board can walk you through how to do that, if you are game to give it a go.

Once it has been cleaned and oiled, and you know that it will run when in beat, the better way to set the beat is as follows. Set the clock case perfectly vertical on the wall. Use a spirit level to check that it is plumb. (Once it is plumb, it will probably be out of beat again) Follow the pendulum stick up to the top. At the top, you should find a couple of large headed screws sticking out on either side of the pendulum rod. Turning these screws will change the beat of the clock. Wind the screws forward and listen to see if the beat is better or worse. If it is worse, then wind the screws backward until the beat sounds better. Keep adjusting these screws until the tick - tock - tick - tock is perfectly even.

Let us know how you go.
    Cheers
    Walesey

47. John Hubby

NAWCC Member

Sep 7, 2000
    The Woodlands, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Piotr, thanks for the link. I had no problem interpreting most of the conversation. The only question that I didn't see completely answered is the lack of a GB logo or name stamp. I agree from the characteristics of the movement and other parts it is most likely made by GB. Perhaps I missed something in the postings that supports that conclusion.

48. tarant

tarant Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Wroclaw
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Early GB clocks were only, but not all, signed on dials. Up to ~18 thousands. Opinion that's GB is based only on comparison of with other early clocks. Characteristic are: hands, shape of the plates, anchor, pendulum crutch, pendulum (bob and upper part), SN font type, mount bracket (one of many transitional models, similar to the final version). In this example we had also info from exhibition in London catalog that they were signed as 1 and 2 quality (this is the first example with quality stamp I've ever seen). Unfortunately, I have no permission to publish photos of other movements from private collections.
    View attachment 339663 View attachment 339664

49. twisted haywire

twisted haywire New Member

Apr 3, 2017
    Country Flag:
    hey Walesey
    thanks for you response.
    I think it is "In Beat", but I have a hard time hearing the difference from where I think it is "In Beat" and when I have moved the bottom of the case a few mm either way.

when I cleaned the case there was no dirt or dust inside the case, but I do think that any oil there was there is gone, so how hard is it to take the clock apart, clean it, oil the parts that needs it and put it back together again.

cheers
    Twisted Haywire

50. gintarasb64

Oct 1, 2012
    Male
    Lithuania
    Country Flag:
    #2700 gintarasb64, May 7, 2017
    Last edited: May 7, 2017
    I bought this GB masterpiece from UK auction. Still missing some finials and require some cleaning. Looking for more information and your comments.
    Best regards
    Gintaras