Post Your Gustav Becker Clocks Here

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by Mike306p/Ansoniaman, Jul 5, 2006.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. John Hubby

John Hubby Principal Administrator
    Staff Member NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Life Member

Sep 7, 2000
    The Woodlands, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    SB, thanks for the photos! Here are the results:

Clock Type: Vienna Regulator Style, Altdeutsche type case
    Movement: Weight driven Time/Strike Hour & Half-hour
    Seconds Bit: Seconds indicator on dial, actual time per revolution of the hand is 45 seconds
    Pendulum Action: Beat adjustment by horizontal screw at bottom end of crutch to move crutch pin
    Gong strike: Coil gong mounted on movement bracket attached to back board.
    Made at: Gustav Becker factory, Freiburg, Silesia, Germany
    Year Made: Mid-1903

Please confirm that (a) the pendulum is suspended from the top of the movement mounting bracket which is screwed to the back board, and (b) that the beat adjustment uses a typical horizontal screw to move the crutch pin. I guessed this based on what I can see of the crutch. Many GB clocks made at this time used a separate pendulum leader fitted with a moveable lever that adjusted the beat, with the pendulum hanging from the leader.

Very nice clock!

2. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks much, John! As usual, you're right on all accounts regarding the pendulum and adjuster (as well as the other details). Must be all original :)

3. Sabotazhnik

Sabotazhnik New Member

Apr 1, 2009
    Hi guys, nice forum here. i'm quite amazed of your friendliness and willingness to help others.
    i've got Gustav Becker with P32 (somehow it looks like P30 on photo, i'll check it another day but i remember it's p32) and H symbols on movement and logo with word silesia. no serial number. that means it's one on inexpensive models made in Braunau 1910-1926, right ? on back side of housing it's writen "freiburg schl" though. i would appreciate any additional info.
    attached some poor quality images, had to use phone camera.

i hope you don't mind me asking few additional questions here. i got this clock all not working - it runs just for few minutes and stops. movement is very dirty, so i reckon it should be the reason, right ? i've cleaned the very first gear (the one which spins fastests) a bit and now it's working for third hour.
    as far as i know this clock wasn't touched for few decades or even more, there's some traces of oil, but now it looks more like tar. so what i want to ask is could a decent guy with stright hands and patience disassemble, clean and assemble such movement ? i have some doubts, but that looks like good challenge for me.
    thanks and sorry for possibly wrong words somethere, i don't know anything about clocks and i'm not even english.

1.JPG 2.JPG 3.JPG 4.JPG 5.JPG 6.JPG

4. John Hubby

Sep 7, 2000
    The Woodlands, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hello Sabotazhnik, and welcome to the NAWCC Message Board! Thanks for posting the photos of your clock, that helps a lot to identify its characteristics and when it was made. Also, don't worry about your English, it's quite good.

Firstly, the "Silesia" movement clocks were made in Freiburg, not Braunau. That has been confirmed by several means including contemporary trade magazine information. You are correct with regard to the dates, however, as best as has been found so far these movements with the "SILESIA" under the GB anchor logo were made from 1910 to 1926. None have been documented after that time.

I agree that it appears to be "P30" stamped on the movement of your clock. Whether P30 or P32, this is the first one of this particular pendulum length I have documented.

Your clock appears to have been made in the 1920's. A clock that appears identical to yours, Model No. 558, is shown in the Gustav Becker 1924 catalog recently made available by Victor Tang, of Singapore.

With regard to the clock not running, it appears to me that the main problem is that the movement is very dirty and needs a good cleaning and lubrication. As far as your question about an average guy being able to do this job, absolutely it is possible, most of us started that way. I recommend you post your questions about disassembly, cleaning, and lubrication to the "CLOCK REPAIRS" forum. That's where the folks with experience will be more than happy to help you out, we do that very frequently with beginning collectors and repairs.

Once again, welcome and I trust you will find what you need here.

5. alesssandro

alesssandro New Member

Mar 23, 2009
    Poland
    Country Flag:
    #205 alesssandro, Apr 4, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2009
    Hello all,
    heres my mantel clock Becker acquisition. It appears to have the Freiburg logo for 1909 - 1933. There is no serial number. Can anyone pin this down to the actual year? On the right side of the movement is stamped "O" or "0". On the left side is "R", under "R" is "P 14", I know it's a pendulum's lenght.
    The case is French polished (varnished).

Here are the photos:

http://s6.zapodaj.net/69581202.jpg.html

http://s6.zapodaj.net/10895689.jpg.html

http://s6.zapodaj.net/50054057.jpg.html

Please, help :)

6. Fortunat Mueller-Maerki

Fortunat Mueller-Maerki National Library Chair
    NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Life Member

Aug 25, 2000
    Male
    Horological Bibliographer -
    Sussex New Jersey USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Those interested to identify Gustav Becker cases should see the bookreview posted yesterday on a new facsimile 1924 Gustav Becker catalog that was posted yesterday on the 'Horological Books' forum on this message board

Fortunat

7. John Hubby

Sep 7, 2000
    The Woodlands, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Alesssandro, thanks for posting your "new" GB mantel clock. Based on the info and photos, I can't tell if this is time/strike or time/bim-bam strike. Please advise which it is. Also, if you could post a full view of the movement back plate that will help in the identification, and also the type of gong (Coil or Rod).

A similar design of your clock case is found in the 1924 GB catalog, Model No. 347 (Fortunat, thanks for the plug, and thanks again to Victor for his efforts!). There is also a very similar if not identical case design in the 1926 and 1932 catalogs referenced by Tran Duy Ly in his "Gustav Becker" book but I don't have that with me right now to make a positive identification. Perhaps another user can provide the reference. There is no similar clock (in fact NO mantel clocks) in the 1912 GB Catalog.

Based on catalog similarities and the info reported, my best guess right now is that your clock was made between 1925 and 1928. Very likely not before WWI, as I've not seen any such GB mantel clock from that time. After 1924 since the exact model is not shown in the 1924 catalog. Not later than 1928, because at that time the Junghans date stamps were started on GB logo clocks. You didn't mention any numbers or letters other than "R", "P14", and "O".

I will look forward to your additional photos. Also, with your permission I would like to add your photos to this message so they can remain in our archives for future reference.

8. mr.jeepster

mr.jeepster Registered User

Nov 28, 2008
    auto/truck ase master tech
    ILLINOIS
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Here's the 2 gustav becker that I have the swinger and the box clock:)

becker 1.jpg becker-2.jpg

9. alesssandro

alesssandro New Member

Mar 23, 2009
    Poland
    Country Flag:
  10. Sabotazhnik

Sabotazhnik New Member

Apr 1, 2009
    thanks very much, John.
    well, i thought it was made in Braunau according to
    80.jpg
    and yes, it's definately P30 stamp.
    yeah, i found lots of information here, so today finally got some time to work on that clock. it was not so hard as i thought - it took just less than 5 hours to disassemble clean and assemble whole movement with no hurry. of course there was no polishing or springs cleaning involved :)
    so, whole movement is clean and working fine on the table now, i'm leaving it for night and will place into boxing tomorrow. i've got more and better quality photos, i'll upload them after finishing with clock, so i guess you could delete those old images as i can't edit my posts.

11. John Hubby

Sep 7, 2000
    The Woodlands, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Sabotazhnik, I need to update the logo pictures that are earlier in this thread. It turns out the "SILESIA" GB Anchor "was" used for a few clocks assembled at the Braunau factory, from late 1912 to mid-1913 (serial numbers in the range of 620,000 to 650,000) and again just after WWI in 1920-21. The great majority of clocks with this logo were made by the Freiburg factory, without serial numbers.

Thanks for confirming the "P30" stamp, as I mentioned earlier this is the first one I have seen.

12. John Hubby

Sep 7, 2000
    The Woodlands, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Alesssandro, thanks very much for the excellent photos, these answered all the questions I had regarding your clock. It is in exceptionally nice condition, congratulations! I am posting the photos of your clock here so all can see and they will be kept in our archives for future reference.

RP14O-002 Front QtrR.jpg RP14O-002 Back ViewR.jpg RP14O-002 DialR.jpg RP14O-002 Rear ViewR.jpg RP14O-002 Mvmt BackR.jpg RP14O-002 GB LogoR.jpg

13. Sabotazhnik

Sabotazhnik New Member

Apr 1, 2009
    understood :) so here's updated photos of my clock before cleaning.

clock1.jpg clock3.jpg clock2.jpg clock4.JPG clock5.JPG clock6.jpg clock7.jpg clock8.JPG clock9.jpg clock10.jpg

14. Vadim

Vadim Registered User

Feb 13, 2008
    Kharkov
    Country Flag:
    #214 Vadim, Apr 11, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 1, 2018
    spring-driven movement with a low number

Hello,
    spring-driven movement with a low number - why? (1920?)
    (unfortunately, without case and dial).
    Vadim

GB.JPG

15. John Hubby

Sep 7, 2000
    The Woodlands, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Vadim, this one is so far a mystery. Please show photos of the complete back plate of the movement, also a full view of the front of your clock and a dial photo.

I am very curious about the "42" without the usual "P" in front, there are other questions that more photos will answer.

16. Vadim

Vadim Registered User

Feb 13, 2008
    Kharkov
    Country Flag:
    #216 Vadim, Apr 12, 2009
    Thanks very much, John.
    My supposition - movement was supplied to Russia (1910-1920 judging to on a type and low quality of movement - some steel details in place of bronze one), where put the number ( russian letter of "Д" in a right lower corner?). Possibly?
    Unfortunately I purchased movement as repair part (incomplete) without case and dial and it would be very desirable to recover.
    Vadim

GB2.jpg GB3.jpg GB4.jpg

17. John Hubby

Sep 7, 2000
    The Woodlands, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Vadim, thanks for the additional photos. Now I need to go through my files to find similar movements and hopefully find one or more that have the identical layout. That will take a little time but I'll post here again after doing the research. Interesting possibility that they may have been made as a "special" order for Russian sales.

18. johnghicks

johnghicks New Member

Apr 25, 2009
    Here is a 2 weight Becker clock that my wife inherited. She was with her mom when she bought it in the 70's. The second image indicates that it was manufactured in Braunau. The serial number, 17528 seems quite low to me. According to John Hubby's data elsewhere on this site, that seems to put the manufacture date somewhere in 1889, is that right? It has a jewlers mark to the right of the SN just like another post in this thread, which I am curious about. The crown seems to be missing, even though my wife remembers it when her mom purchased it.

004.jpg 006.jpg 007.jpg 008.jpg 010.jpg

19. Scottie-TX

Scottie-TX Registered User
    Deceased

Apr 6, 2004
    Retired
    Mesquite, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Very elegant Becker.
    But, "Braunau" and that low no. Certainly we await Mr. "H" but meanwhile, I thought Braunau was MUCH later and that low s/n much earlier. Hmmmmm. Intellesting. Looks to me like perhaps early 19s - 1910 perhaps.
    Thanks fer sharin'!

20. John Hubby

Sep 7, 2000
    The Woodlands, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #220 John Hubby, Apr 26, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2009
    John, your wife's clock was indeed made in Braunau, and the low serial number is correct as it was from early production near the beginning of 1889. That was the second year of GB operations at that location.

Scottie and all, the Braunau factory commenced production in first quarter 1888 using their own serial numbering system not at all related to the Freiburg factory numbers. The lowest number I have documented so far with the Braunau logo is no. 102, likely made in the first month of production. The Braunau factory operated continuously making GB clocks from the start in 1888 until early 1926 when the amalgamation with Junghans was initiated. At that time the inventory of materials and unfinished clocks was moved to Freiburg, with GB having made a total of nearly 930,000 serially numbered clocks during that 38 year period.

I agree there would have been a crown to the case, most likely there will be evidence such as a slot in the front molding or holes where dowels held it in place. Otherwise the clock appears to be complete and original.

Two questions:
    • Is there a serial number stamped into the movement mounting bracket? This is usually found between the two lower posts when present. Even if it's not the same number as stamped on the movement I would like to know what is there.
    • Could you describe the jeweler's mark? I tried but the photo isn't clear enough to be certain of what is written there.
    Thanks in advance for your answers.

21. johnghicks

johnghicks New Member

Apr 25, 2009
    Thanks for the compliment. I am a novice at all this. I had it apart this afternoon and got several pictures. Here is another picture that shows the logo and serial number better. I am also curious about the markings to the right of the serial number, which should be seen better here.

002 - Copy.JPG

22. johnghicks

johnghicks New Member

Apr 25, 2009
    #222 johnghicks, Apr 26, 2009
    Regarding the crown, there is a dowel hole on each side. I was would like to know what a crown from this time period might look like so we can try to replace it.

Regarding the mounting bracket, the serial number is the same. I attached a couple images.

Regarding the jewelers's mark, the first line is the number 8793. Underneath seems to be some small markings but I cannot discern what they are. I attached a close up of that as well.

I look forward to hearing what you think.

John

IMG_3832 - Copy.JPG IMG_3832.jpg 006 - Copy.JPG

23. mr.jeepster

Nov 28, 2008
    ILLINOIS
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Here's the one I got on friday.(you know the Friday one )I finally finish it and put my vienna weight's on it til my new one's that match come this week. And my newest(Sunday)find clock is a 1880's box clock that has the wrong pendulum on it. This movement is very heavy duty compair to the p42 Silesia type. Hey Master John, will the spring barrels on the p42 work on this p48 if I break the spring doing a 3 hr cleaning on them if something goes wrong ??. (I'm cheap and hardheaded in not buying a spring tool yet) thanks

gustav w1.jpg becker1.jpg becker2.jpg becker 3.jpg becker 4.jpg

24. Scottie-TX

Deceased

Apr 6, 2004
    Retired
    Mesquite, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    "SPRINGS"! fer shame. REAL men lift WEIGHTS!
    Hey! You said you were cheep and I've NEVER seen a "weight winder".

25. John Hubby

Sep 7, 2000
    The Woodlands, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #225 John Hubby, Apr 27, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2009
    Mr. J, regarding your "Friday" clock, could you post photos of the back of the movement so we can document what you have? Will appreciate very much.

Why do you say the wrong pendulum is with your "Sunday" clock? It appears to be the correct length and of the correct design for that clock. However, the pendulum leader isn't shown in the photos so I would need to see that to give you a final answer whether it is correct or not. Could you install the leader and post another photo, or just a photo of the leader itself? Actually it appears that at some time someone has removed the bevel glass panel from the door and reinstalled it upside down. These clocks were originally made so the pendulum bob is more or less centered in the circular bevel glass.

The "Sunday" clock, serial number 669092, was made at the GB Braunau, Bohemia factory in late 1913 (NOT 1880's) based on the logo and serial number. Regarding swapping of the spring barrels between a P42 Silesia and this clock, I doubt they are interchangeable but no harm in doing a crosscheck. Remember that the P42 Silesia was made at the Freiburg factory to a completely different set of specs compared to the solid plate Braunau movement. The P42 Silesia was designed to run 14 days, whereas the Braunau clock is designed for only 8 days, so I would expect the Braunau movement to have smaller diameter barrels for starters.

Measure the barrel diameter and width front to back on both, and count the number of teeth on the barrel. If all these measurements are the same you will probably be OK. If not, I would not risk trying the change.

26. mr.jeepster

Nov 28, 2008
    ILLINOIS
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Here John, is the 2 weight clock back of movement, the sunday clock the pendulum leader was gone and the screw the pendulum on the arm itself,that's why I'm saying its wrong ,I have another box clock and the pendulum is heavier then this one and in my books it don't show this one. John ,what book to you have for the dates at the factory's? Thanks John

b-6.jpg

27. Weight Driven

Weight Driven Registered User
    NAWCC Member

May 24, 2004
    Country Flag:
    Here is an early Gustav Becker time only vienna style regulator. In need of some restoration, the finish is original, just dirty and the top middle finial is a replacement, made of brass. Overall, a pleasing design with the ebonized accents and what appears to be walnut veener. The movement needs cleaning and is marked with the early Becker signature and serial number 38876, I believe dating it to ca 1870.

DSC01267.jpg DSC01268.jpg DSC01269.jpg DSC01270.jpg

28. Scottie-TX

Deceased

Apr 6, 2004
    Retired
    Mesquite, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    BEE YOO tiful clock, WD! I KNOW you're proud to be the curator of that'n. Finials all look correct - very tight from what I can see. I believe you nailed the date very close. Looks like early transitional.
    XLNT find. Congrats!

29. RJSoftware

RJSoftware Registered User

Apr 15, 2005
    Male
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Nice, nice nice.

Now I know what to look for in a vienna.

Awsome, my kind of clock.

RJ

30. John Hubby

Sep 7, 2000
    The Woodlands, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #230 John Hubby, Apr 29, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2009
    Mr. J, your "Friday" clock was also made in the GB Braunau factory, serial number 549960 dates it to 2nd quarter 1910. Very nice piece indeed. Only a couple of questions about this one:
    • Is there a serial number stamped on the movement support bracket? Would be found between the two bottom support posts on the lower cross bar.
    • What are the markings on the rod gong support? For example, Harfen Gong, or Dom Gong, or just the GB logo.
    • What type of pendulum crutch is fitted to the movement? Most of these have a standard crutch with beat adjustment by means of a threaded rod at the bottom with knurled knobs that moves the crutch pin back and forth. There was also a special type with a long crutch having a slotted end, and a pendulum leader hanging from the movement with two arms at the lower end that rock back and forth to set the beat. For this type the pendulum hangs in a trapezoid-shaped "holster" at the end of the leader. In the first type the pendulum is suspended in the conventional manner from the movement support bracket mounted to the backboard of the clock.
    Regarding the pendulum on your "Sunday" clock, I will see if I have photos of the same type of case and movement in my data and post here so you can see what should be there. However, the pendulum bob design on your clock is quite normal for GB Braunau box clocks.

With regard to a "book" for dating these clocks by serial number, I am using my own database developed over the past 10 plus years. Serial numbers and dates are posted on about page 15 of this thread, a bit out of date now but still in the ball park. I will be updatng this info over the next couple of months, including a new listing of logos and dates used.

31. John Hubby

Sep 7, 2000
    The Woodlands, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    WD, gorgeous clock and the dating is correct, my data show mid-1870 based on the serial number. One question: Does the pendulum crutch have the usual adjustable slide pin at the bottom end for setting the beat?

32. John Hubby

Sep 7, 2000
    The Woodlands, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #232 John Hubby, Apr 29, 2009
    John, thanks for posting the bracket photos and providing the closeup of the jeweler's mark. The serial number being stamped on the bracket seems to have been a feature on the Braunau clocks from the first production in early 1888, but the practice was continued only for about five or six years. I've not found one yet with the serial number stamped after 1894.

I've not been able to figure out what the jeweler's number means, perhaps 8th July 1893 which would fit with the age of the clock.

The crown on your clock would most likely have been quite impressive based on the Braunau clocks I have documented. I'm attaching photos of two early ones made between 1890 and 1900 that might help give you an idea. The case of the one to the left is closer in style to your clock but either would be suitable. There were "MANY" designs in those days and it appears the main theme was just to provide an imposing or elaborate crown. I hope these will help, you can check the clock supply houses for something similar.

63040 Front.jpg 264468 Front.jpg

33. rejo

rejo Registered User

Aug 9, 2006
    Some of those are Gustav Becker (find which ones :p). Don't have better picture now and I have 2 more Gustav's not shown here. One of them is with the best bell I ever heard of such clock - strong and long lasting sound like church bell. Will post it when I have a photo

clocs_small.jpg

34. melikesclocks

melikesclocks Registered User

Feb 11, 2009
    Ohio
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Here's a GB Vienna regulator I got a little while back. I don't have any pictures of the back (I didn't take any before it when in for overhaul) and I'm afraid to take the movement to check. Anyway, the talk about the crowns got me interested. Mine is missing the upper part and somebody stuck on old finial in the hole. I've also attached a pic of similar crowns with the upper portion intact. Finding someone to carve a new one is tough!

Eric

0179A_2_lg.jpg 0179A_3_lg.jpg 0179A_4_lg.jpg 0179A_6_lg.jpg 32487N2.jpg untitled.jpg

35. Richard T.

Richard T. Deceased
    Deceased

Apr 7, 2005
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Yesterday it was Carl Werner and today it's Gustav Becker.

This box clock was my project for the day. Cleaned, repaired two pinion wires on T2 and will do bushings tomorrow....it needs about 10.

Best,

Richard T.

GustavBeckerRearPlate.jpg GBGongMovementBracket.jpg BeckerCase.jpg

36. John Hubby

Sep 7, 2000
    The Woodlands, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Rejo, we will look forward to seeing the photos of your clocks. Please be sure to post photos of the full front, back of the movement with logos and serial numbers when present, and also a photo of the gong when it is mounted on the back of the clock case.

37. John Hubby

Sep 7, 2000
    The Woodlands, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Eric, it will be appreciated if you could post the serial number and any other info about what is stamped on the back plate of the movement. It appears your clock is likely made in Braunau, but with the serial number and logo description I can provide you with exact dating. Also, that will help to find a proper crown for your clock.

Since you are looking for someone who can carve replacement crowns, I suggest that you check the following for someone who is an expert in making replacement case parts for Gustav Becker clocks:

Jon Wolfe, Phone: 630.377.3215, e-mail: jonarden<at>aol.com

38. John Hubby

Sep 7, 2000
    The Woodlands, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Richard, thanks for posting. When you get it back together will appreciate seeing the back of the assembled movement and a full front with pendulum and dial.

My best guess is that your clock was probably made just before WWI. There are no clocks like it in the 1924, 1926, or 1932 GB catalogs, but it has some similarities with a few in the 1912 catalog. These movements appear to have been introduced about 1913 and continued to be used through 1932, but the simple box style of your clock was seen only from about 1910 to the early 1920's. It was used extensively for Braunau clocks made in the same period, although yours was made at Freiburg.

39. Weight Driven

NAWCC Member

May 24, 2004
    Country Flag:
    HI John. Yes the crutch has the adjustable slide pin. Also, this clock has beautiful cat gut line that appears to be old. I would love to use this cat gut but am afraid to try for fear of the line breaking. Any way this line can be strenghtened?

40. rejo

rejo Registered User

Aug 9, 2006
    As promised, pictures of GB. If someone can date it or give more info about - will be appreciated. Back side of the case is not pictured because the clock is well attached to the wall now.

Gustav Becker.jpg Gustav Becker case.jpg Gustav Becker logo.jpg Gustav Becker movement back.jpg Gustav Becker movement front.jpg Gustav Becker some number RP42.jpg Gustav Becker movement top.jpg Gustav Becker movement side.jpg

41. melikesclocks

Feb 11, 2009
    Ohio
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi John,

I'll try a mirror and flashlight to get the serial number logo info :)

Thanks for the lead on the carving.

Eric

42. John Hubby

Sep 7, 2000
    The Woodlands, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #242 John Hubby, May 1, 2009
    Rejo, thanks very much for posting the excellent photos of your clock. I have searched the GB catalog references and found your exact clock model in the 1926 GB catalog partially represented in Tran Duy Ly's Gustav Becker book. It is Model No. 3218/10 on page 136. This clock case is not illustrated in either the 1924 or the 1932 GB catalogs, so that would indicate it could have been made between 1925 and 1931. The only difference in the catalog example is there are two moldings at the top of the door on each side that do not appear on your clock, otherwise they are identical. It could be these moldings were present originally on your clock, but also possible they were not installed assuming the clock was made after 1926. Please note the identical center bevel glass treatment with the cut "star" in the center. I am attaching a composite of the catalog picture and your clock so you can see the comparison.

The only other visible difference is that your clock has a 24-hour dial and the words "Gustav Becker" written above the GB anchor logo. The basic 24-hour dial design is not a key element as GB used many dial designs and styles that carried over a number of years. However, the written Gustav Becker name has not been seen in clocks made before 1927/28. Another indication that your clock was made in 1927 or later is that your clock movement has solid cut pinions that are characteristic of the GB "SILESIA" grade clock movements but the "SILESIA" name is not stamped beneath the GB anchor logo. My research shows that 1926 was the last year that the word "SILESIA" was stamped under the GB anchor logo, but I do not have complete information regarding the use of solid pinions in this type movement after that year. The 1926 GB catalog shows Silesia grade movements and lantern pinion movements both available, however the 1932 catalog shows only the lantern pinion movements. The final point indicating your clock was likely made before late 1928 is that Junghans started using their dating system on GB logo clocks made from sometime in 1928, and your clock does not have this present. The Junghans system was to stamp the month and year of manufacture in the format "MM YY" such as 11 28 which would be November 1928. PLEASE NOTE that IF you do find this kind of numbers stamped on your movement, for example on the front plate where some of them have been found, that will give you the exact date of manufacture.

Conclusion: I believe your clock was made between 2nd half 1926 and second half 1928 based on the following key points:
    • Absence of "SILESIA" name under GB Anchor Logo on back plate of movement, last documented use in early 1926 before amalgamation started between GB and Junghans.
    • Case style shown in 1926 catalog but not in 1932 catalog.
    • Written Gustav Becker name on dial normally seen after 1927.
    • Absence of the Junghans style date stamp on the back plate, practice started sometime 1928.
    I do have one question regarding your comment about not showing the back of the case since it was already securely mounted on the wall: Is anything stamped or mounted on the back of the case such as numbers, the GB logo, or a GB paper label? If there is anything like this that would add to the information that could be used to better pinpoint the year of manufacture of your clock.

RP42O-002 w:3218:10 Cat.jpg

43. rejo

rejo Registered User

Aug 9, 2006
    Wow, thanks a lot for your info, it is completely enough :D. No, there is nothing on the back of the case. I'll check with my father in law who has 5-6 more GB clocks and if he is ok, we may do photos and post here again....

Best Regards,
    Rejo

44. John Hubby

Sep 7, 2000
    The Woodlands, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Rejo, I do hope your father-in-law is willing to have his clocks posted here for identification and documentation. We are always looking for more examples!!

45. melikesclocks

Feb 11, 2009
    Ohio
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    John, I took some pictures of the logs (sorry about the quality). The serial number is 132458.

Eric

100_2537.jpg 100_2538.jpg 100_2543.jpg 0179A_1_lg.jpg

46. melikesclocks

Feb 11, 2009
    Ohio
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Also, John, in reviewing previous posts, I saw that my clock has the Braunau logos and that judging by the serial number, it was made in 1894. However, it strikes on a gong and your info says no gong strikes were made before 1898. I'm thinking my clock was converted from a coil to gong strike. The gong holder certainly isn't original (I thought maybe the original had broken) and the strike hammer doesn't seem right.

Hmmm, now I'm thinking I need to find an original coil gong with bracket, but I'm not equipped to change the strike hammer. Dang, ignorance was bliss. :)

Eric

47. John Hubby

Sep 7, 2000
    The Woodlands, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Eric, I agree that your clock was probably modified to use the rod gong strike. There is no question your movement was made in Braunau about 3rd quarter 1894, more than four years before commercial production of rod gongs was started based on the December 1898 patent to Obergfell (later of Kieninger und Obergfell - Kundo). At that time only the coil gong was in use, and for weight driven movements it was mounted on the movement back plate. The two mounting screw holes on your movement now have short screw stubs in them. I'm attaching a photo of a clock made just a few months after yours showing the type of gong and mount typically used in 1894. Actually, modifying the strike hammer to the correct (original) position really isn't that difficult. It might be possible simply to rotate it 90 degrees counterclockwise and then adjust the position to strike properly on a coil gong.

143681 Mvmt Back.jpg

48. melikesclocks

Feb 11, 2009
    Ohio
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi John, thanks for the picture and the info. I'm saving it to my archive to aid in the hunt for a replacement gong. The strike arm doesn't have the round part on the end, it has a felt tipped hammer. I wonder how it would sound on a coiled gong. Gingerly bending wire is something I could do. I've had to really hang the clock out from the wall at the top prevent the pendulum from hitting the chime rod, so getting it out of the case would be nice.

Eric

49. Weight Driven

NAWCC Member

May 24, 2004
    Country Flag:
    I have one further question for the panel. I finally cleaned the Gustav Becker movement and found it did not have a hands tension washer. The clock seems to running fine without but am wondering if it had one in the first place. It is time only. Do any of you Becker owners single weight clocks have tension washers? I have owned a couple of Beckers in the past but frankly don't recall.

50. John Hubby

Sep 7, 2000
    The Woodlands, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #250 John Hubby, May 15, 2009
    MJ, I was able to locate a movement that appears the same as yours, made in 1914 shortly after yours. Note that the pendulum leader has the trapezoid shape "holder" where the pendulum will hang. I think that if you can find one of these you would be able to make a piece to fit the pendulum you have now. As I mentioned earlier I believe the beveled glass panel in the door of your clock was removed at some time and turned upside down. One way to check for sure is to measure from about 1 inch below the top of the movement front plate with it in place in the clock, and downward 42 centimeters, that would be the center of the pendulum bob. You can then check to see where that is on the door glass. I could be wrong but it looks to me the glass panel is upside down.

I also have one photo of a case of the same vintage but different glass in the door, that shows a pendulum similar to yours. Hope this will help.

679198 Mvmt Back.jpg 656979 Front.jpg