• We are aware of the performance issues with the forum. These are due to problems with Comcast's shared lines in the Columbia, PA area. On December 15, we signed a contract to bring a dedicated fiber line to the forum servers. It should take somewhere between 30 and 90 days to install. Thank you for your patience.

Post Your Gustav Becker 400-Day Clocks Here

etmb61

NAWCC Member
Oct 25, 2010
Mascoutah, IL
Country
Region
Hello,
Sharing pictures of my latest find - nice GB skeleton clock. BHA logo, movement SN 2131386, pendulum SN 21321388. I think pendulum is original to this clock. Any comments would be interesting :) Regards
Gintaras

View attachment 689942 View attachment 689943 View attachment 689944 View attachment 689945 View attachment 689946 View attachment 689947
This is one of a cluster of skeleton clocks made by Becker all with serial numbers beginning with 213. In my records the lower numbers are marked BHA and the rest have the normal Becker gold medal stamps. The pendulum is original but it looks like you added another 2 in the number. The disks of this type that I've recorded with skeleton clocks in the 213 cluster, and could confirm were original to the clock, have a ribbed outer edge. The same type pendulum found with a standard clock has a smooth edge.

Thanks for sharing.
Eric

Dells

NAWCC Member
Oct 18, 2019
In the cotswolds UK
Country
Region
A Gustav Becker skeleton clock is on my bucket list! The serial number dates the clock to first few months of 1910.

Kurt
I think Kurt a skeleton clock is on all our bucket lists but my list also includes an Atmos.

gintarasb64

Oct 1, 2012
Lithuania
Country
This is one of a cluster of skeleton clocks made by Becker all with serial numbers beginning with 213. In my records the lower numbers are marked BHA and the rest have the normal Becker gold medal stamps. The pendulum is original but it looks like you added another 2 in the number. The disks of this type that I've recorded with skeleton clocks in the 213 cluster, and could confirm were original to the clock, have a ribbed outer edge. The same type pendulum found with a standard clock has a smooth edge.

Thanks for sharing.
Eric
Eric,
what do you have in mind saying that I added another 2 in the number? regards
Gintaras

KurtinSA

NAWCC Member
Nov 24, 2014
San Antonio, TX
Country
Region
Gintaras -

Eric was pointing out what you wrote:

Sharing pictures of my latest find - nice GB skeleton clock. BHA logo, movement SN 2131386, pendulum SN 21321388.
I've highlighted the extra "2" in red font and made it bigger.

Kurt

Reactions: gintarasb64

etmb61

NAWCC Member
Oct 25, 2010
Mascoutah, IL
Country
Region
Eric,
what do you have in mind saying that I added another 2 in the number? regards
Gintaras
As Kurt said.

I need to add your pendulum is the correct style for a BHA or Becker skeleton clock and, even though the numbers don't precisely match between the movement and the pendulum, it is probably the original for your clock.
pend features.jpg
Both Becker and BHA clocks on either side of the cluster of skeleton clocks use a different pendulum.

Eric

Last edited:

KurtinSA

NAWCC Member
Nov 24, 2014
San Antonio, TX
Country
Region
Eric -

So you're saying that Gintaras' pendulum is correct for the period? I have a BHA clock with S/N 210xxxx and it does not have the ribbed edge of the pendulum disk and the top plate of the gallery is completely flat...also no screws on the edges. The S/N of the plate and pendulum match. So before the cluster of skeleton clocks, the pendulums were "plain" and then at some point they went to the "fancier" pendulums. My collection of GBs seem to suggest that early on they were "fancy" and then later on they became "plain". My first "plain" GB is S/N 226xxxx...unfortunately, that clock's pendulum is unmarked.

Strange that the serial numbers of Gintara's clock are different but yet the thought is they left the factory that way. Did someone make a mistake? Is there a combination on another GB clock with the reversal of numbers on the plate/pendulum?

Kurt

etmb61

NAWCC Member
Oct 25, 2010
Mascoutah, IL
Country
Region
Eric -

So you're saying that Gintaras' pendulum is correct for the period? I have a BHA clock with S/N 210xxxx and it does not have the ribbed edge of the pendulum disk and the top plate of the gallery is completely flat...also no screws on the edges. The S/N of the plate and pendulum match. So before the cluster of skeleton clocks, the pendulums were "plain" and then at some point they went to the "fancier" pendulums. My collection of GBs seem to suggest that early on they were "fancy" and then later on they became "plain". My first "plain" GB is S/N 226xxxx...unfortunately, that clock's pendulum is unmarked.

Strange that the serial numbers of Gintara's clock are different but yet the thought is they left the factory that way. Did someone make a mistake? Is there a combination on another GB clock with the reversal of numbers on the plate/pendulum?

Kurt
It's correct for a skeleton clock.

Eric

etmb61

NAWCC Member
Oct 25, 2010
Mascoutah, IL
Country
Region
I would really like to say that Becker ended their production with their worst pendulum but that doesn't bear out. They did start with more interesting ones, but somewhere in the middle the switched to their much cheaper design. This eyesore:
eyesore.jpg

Not much later they pulled back from the edge and made the one with thicker flat plates and decorative screws which was dominant until they went under.
last pend.jpg

Both of these were used together for a while.

As for the numbers on Gintaras' clock I offer that I acquired my first Becker from someone who said they got it from the grandson of the original owner. That's probably true. The clock was sold by the Kuehl Clock Co. in the 1920s and is marked on the dial. The number on the movement is 2443149 and the pendulum is 2443159. Now it is possible that the pendulum was swapped with the wrong numbered one after the clock was sold, but that would take having a second clock from the same batch in the same location at the same time. Not very likely. Now being a distributor K.C.Co would have had batches of clocks on hand and as such could have easily swapped the pendulums from clocks in the same batch before they were sold. I could be flat wrong but that's how I see it.

Eric

Reactions: gintarasb64

KurtinSA

NAWCC Member
Nov 24, 2014
San Antonio, TX
Country
Region
Curious why they would be swapped before being sold. Damage in some fashion? One possibility, especially after 1915 when GB came out with their 4-ball pendulum, if a customer liked the 4-ball better than the disk, the dealer might swap those in the store to make the sale.

In your case, that "4" and "5" look very nearly the same. Same with Gintaras' clock with the last digits being "6" and "8".

Kurt

etmb61

NAWCC Member
Oct 25, 2010
Mascoutah, IL
Country
Region
Curious why they would be swapped before being sold. Damage in some fashion? One possibility, especially after 1915 when GB came out with their 4-ball pendulum, if a customer liked the 4-ball better than the disk, the dealer might swap those in the store to make the sale.

In your case, that "4" and "5" look very nearly the same. Same with Gintaras' clock with the last digits being "6" and "8".

Kurt
Probably something simpler than that. The pendulums all look the same and the numbers on the bottoms are difficult to read. I need bright lights and a magnifier to read some of the numbers on the Becker pendulums I own.

Eric

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waynetx
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller