Post Your Gustav Becker 400-Day CLocks Here

Discussion in '400-Day & Atmos' started by John Arrowood, May 21, 2002.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. KurtinSA

KurtinSA Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 24, 2014
    Aerospace Engineer (Ret.)
    San Antonio, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I agree that seeing the logo on the bottom of the front plate is unusual. Looks like the serial number 176XXXX places it in early 1904. Have you been able to decipher the scratching on the back plate?

Kurt

2. gintarasb64

gintarasb64 Registered User

Oct 1, 2012
    Male
    Lithuania
    Country Flag:
    Kurt, thank you. Serial number is 1761992.
    Gintaras

3. etmb61

etmb61 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Oct 25, 2010
    Retired Avionics Technician
    Mascoutah, IL
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Gintaras,

Here is one other like yours:
    Gustav Becker Decorative Brass Embellishers.

Eric

4. John Hubby

John Hubby Senior Administrator Emeritus
    Staff Member NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Life Member

Sep 7, 2000
    The Woodlands, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #604 John Hubby, Feb 4, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2020
    Gintaras thanks for posting. Very tardy reply, but your clock is one of those made in the first production run of the skeleton clocks in January 1910. About 600 clocks were made in this batch, the first 90 and the final 100 of this run being made for B. H. Abrahams of London and stamped with the BHA logo per Plate 1033. Your clock has plate 1189. As best I can tell the clock is completely original, only missing the suspension guard.

All of the clocks in this first batch were essentially identical, all with oval mahogany base with oval glass dome, stamped and embossed silver color metal dial with black numbers, and a standard GB disc pendulum. There are two in my data that have had the original pendulum replaced with a mis-matched serial number No. 17 chandelier style pendulum. This is very evidently due to Charles Terwilliger concluding that "all" the GB skeleton clocks would have the skeletonized No 17, when in fact less than half actually were originally fitted with that pendulum design.

5. John Hubby

Sep 7, 2000
    The Woodlands, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Gintaras, thanks for posting this clock as well. These with the GB logo on the front plate are relatively few, and yours at least for now has the highest serial number in my data for this model, made in early 1904.

You mention you have used a replacement pendulum, from what I can see this one is from a clock that was at least a few years newer. Could you provide me the serial number of the pendulum? I keep this kind of information and have been successful to find matching clocks on a few occasions.

6. gintarasb64

Oct 1, 2012
    Male
    Lithuania
    Country Flag:
    John, thank you for your comments. It is nice to hear you after some silence :) The pendulum number is 2126014. I also have movement with the same SN. I bought it not complete for spares. Regards
    Gintaras

7. John Hubby

Sep 7, 2000
    The Woodlands, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks for the info. This pendulum and the scrap movement with the same serial number was made near the end of 1909, nearly six years after the clock it is now serving.

8. Mark North East Texas

Mar 10, 2020
    Male
    Longview, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I’m new here and don’t know anything about clocks. Inherited this clock from a Great Uncle, hasn’t ran in many years. The bottom tension block had slipped off torsion spring and the pendulum wasn’t suspended. I reattached the lower block. After a couple of days running, it is fast by about 15 minutes in 24 hours. I’m not sure how to slow it down, or that I have the lower block in the correct length. Can you tell me how much I should I wind it, should I wind it till it stops? Also was wanted to find out the date it was made. Thanks for any help.

C6E6FF61-63E1-4317-815E-14EA3FAEBE20.jpeg 141EEDD9-480F-4E49-905F-AA5F461D9B93.jpeg 033E8E4A-DCA9-4B7C-86BA-05564FC23873.jpeg 1A2BCE07-6689-4EDC-9E8D-540533826CE6.jpeg B0332941-75D9-4F79-B295-32776A127E5D.jpeg

9. KurtinSA

KurtinSA Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 24, 2014
    San Antonio, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Welcome to the message board, Mark! Nice looking survivor! And the serial numbers match which is a good thing. I think your pendulum is suspended just fine...it can't go that much lower from the looks of things. In order to slow the clock down, you will need a double ended key similar to either of the two on the right in this picture:

400 day clock keys , which one goes where?

You would take the small end of the key and turn the small threaded rod so that the small weights on top of the pendulum move outward. You should see one end of the rod with four flats on it...turn it in the direction of the "S" stamped into the small weight.

As for build date, from the serial number it appears the clock was built during the first quarter of 1923.

Kurt

10. Mark North East Texas

Mar 10, 2020
    Male
    Longview, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thank you Kurt, for the quick reply. I will have to try to slow it this week. The wife and I are glad it is keeping time, kinda, once again. Can you tell me about winding it. I have always heard you should not overwind them!?

11. KurtinSA

KurtinSA Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 24, 2014
    San Antonio, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    As for winding, I think it takes a bit of feel. While winding it, you will feel it get tighter and tighter...eventually it will be a hard stop. I don't like going to the hard stop, so when I feel it getting tighter with each click, I basically stop. They say that in order to get the best time regulation out of the clocks, you should wind them twice a year, say January 1 and July 1. If you do that, you don't need to go that near the full stop.

Kurt

12. whatgoesaround

whatgoesaround Registered User

Jan 22, 2008
    Male
    science teacher
    south carolina
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    You inherited a very nice clock. Judging from the spread of the tiny weights on the pendulum, it is nearly as slow as you are going to get it. I doubt that adjusting them will be sufficient to get it to slow down that much. Perhaps, it is fluttering, in which case you can raise the fork a miniscule amount or you will need to thin the suspension spring. Both are easy to do, but I suggest searching the forum for a little more information before proceeding or just ask here if you are having trouble.

13. KurtinSA

KurtinSA Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 24, 2014
    San Antonio, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    He's about 1.25 secs fast per minute. There might be enough room to adjust that out.

Kurt

14. Abdulrahman A Alhaider

Apr 7, 2020
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Hi everyone,

I recently bought a Gustav Becker 400 Day Clock at an estate auction. My knowledge about clocks is very humble and I would like some information from experts on this one. I think the serial number is 1731911.

I agree it is not in the best condition and it needs some repairs.

1.jpeg 5.jpeg 4.jpeg 9.jpeg 8.jpeg 7.jpeg 3.jpeg 2.jpeg

15. sunand

sunand Registered User

Dec 24, 2016
    Country Flag:

Hi,
    I think you have a prized acquisition. John will be able to give you correctand important information on the design features of the clock and its completeness as on 1903 (when it was made). What is amazing is:-
    1.It is probably the earliest GB 400 day starting with `17'. the last earliest one is I think 1732001 of mid 1903
    2. I have never seen a GB with this strange top block arrangement.Even the fork is uniquely fixed to the wire.Not clear from the photos. Some close ups from three sides will help.
    3. the pallet movement upright pin again has something at the top.
    All these are interesting changes, and may be a part of some prototype designs introduced for a limited time? But otherwise the clock looks complete, and will good with cleaning and polishing. The key, may not be the original one, but thats expected after so long.
    I think, it's a great find. Lets wait for expert comments. Wonder where you got it?
    Sunand

16. sunand

sunand Registered User

Dec 24, 2016
    Country Flag:
    Hi Kamil,
    Did you manage the golden filigree hands for the clock?I procured a pair recently from a GB owner, for a similar rectangular clock . Send me your email to sunandk2004@gmail.com. In the meanwhile, I'll trace the contact.

Regards

Sunand

17. Abdulrahman A Alhaider

Apr 7, 2020
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Thank you Sunand for the information above.

Interesting! I never thought it would be that old and unique. To answer your question, I got it from an estate auction a week ago. The clock was clean, but the dome had spiderweb with some spiders living it. It seemed to be stored and no one touched it for a while.

I will be waiting for John to listen from him.

18. gintarasb64

Oct 1, 2012
    Male
    Lithuania
    Country Flag:
    Sharing pictures of Gustav Becker 400 day bandstand clock . Regards
    Gintaras

20200622_172647.jpg 20200622_172755.jpg 20200622_172803.jpg 20200621_162214.jpg 20200621_162305.jpg 20200622_172807.jpg 20200621_162316.jpg

pahel likes this.
  19. KurtinSA

KurtinSA Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 24, 2014
    San Antonio, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Nice...I like the bandstands. This was likely one of the last 100 clocks built in 1932 before Gustav Becker finally closed shop. I have one a few numbers before that with a regular disk pendulum. You might want to straighten that bottom block...the suspension spring comes in at an angle and strains the wire but also may contribute to a wobbly rotation of the pendulum.

Kurt

gintarasb64 likes this.
  20. Meyer

Meyer Registered User

Sep 1, 2020
    Male
    Mechanical Engineer
    Denmark
    Country Flag:
    Last week I found a Gustav Becker 400 days clock in a small antique shop. The serial number is 2442618, there is no engraving on the pendulum. I estimate it to be from late 1923 or early 1924 ?

There is no adjusting screws under the base to level it, so how do I level it so the torsion spring is in the center of the lower housing ? (See last photo)

Thank you, it has been interesting to read all the posts.

Kind regards
    Meyer GB - 1.JPG GB - 2.JPG GB - 3.JPG GB - 4.JPG

21. KurtinSA

KurtinSA Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 24, 2014
    San Antonio, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Meyer -

Welcome to the message board! Nice find...hopefully the dome is in good shape and is original. I would date the clock to late 1922 based upon tables presented on the forum in the past. As for leveling, about all you can do is to shim it. I use small strips of old credit cards at the appropriate spot to bring the base into level. The picture you show of the suspension spring doesn't look too bad...I think it would run as is.

Kurt

22. Meyer

Meyer Registered User

Sep 1, 2020
    Male
    Mechanical Engineer
    Denmark
    Country Flag:
    Thank you Kurt for the welcoming and replies.
    It is already running, as I had to shim to get it as shown in there picture :)

-Meyer

23. Meyer

Meyer Registered User

Sep 1, 2020
    Male
    Mechanical Engineer
    Denmark
    Country Flag:
    I do not know if this is the right forum to ask ?

The dead beat escapement is not correct adjusted, so my GB is jumping minuttes. The adjustable nut to adjust the distance is completely beat up, and is stuck, do anyone have experience freeing it or replacing it ?

I assume it is mounted with a tight fit, and should be possible to press it out ?

Kindest regards
    -Meyer

24. Dells

Dells Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Oct 18, 2019
    Male
    Coach builder
    In the cotswolds UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    If it’s jumping minutes it’s more likely to be flutter IE the fork is in the wrong place on the suspension spring.
    Dell

25. Bod

Bod Registered User

Mar 10, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Could you post some photos of the adjustable nut, and clear photo of the back of the clock. This will help.

Bod.

26. Meyer

Meyer Registered User

Sep 1, 2020
    Male
    Mechanical Engineer
    Denmark
    Country Flag:
    Thank you Dells,
    That makes sense, I will see if I can adjust it, I assume it should be raised slightly.

27. Dells

Dells Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Oct 18, 2019
    Male
    Coach builder
    In the cotswolds UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
  28. Meyer

Meyer Registered User

Sep 1, 2020
    Male
    Mechanical Engineer
    Denmark
    Country Flag:
    Hi Dells,

It looks like raising the fork by 1 mm, did the trick, thank you :)