Post Your Gustav Becker 400-Day CLocks Here

Discussion in '400-Day & Atmos' started by John Arrowood, May 21, 2002.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. jkfabulos

jkfabulos Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 21, 2001
    #451 jkfabulos, Jun 23, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2015
    Bandstand with disc pendulum

This must have been made after junghans took over in 1926 due to the low serial number. Condition is original and has never been serviced. Hard to believe it survived in this condition. Pendulum base has a few cracks which seems to be common with this disc design. Pendulum has matching number to movement.

Attached Files:

• GB1.jpg
      File size:
      365.5 KB
      Views:
    • GB2.jpg
      File size:
      86.8 KB
      Views:
    • GB3.jpg
      File size:
      299.4 KB
      Views:
    • GB4.jpg
      File size:
      193.5 KB
      Views:
    • GB5.jpg
      File size:
      389.9 KB
      Views:
    • GB6.jpg
      File size:
      471.7 KB
      Views:
    • GB7.jpg
      File size:
      383.6 KB
      Views:
    • GB9.jpg
      File size:
      55.6 KB
      Views:
  2. TORSIONKID

TORSIONKID Registered User
    NAWCC Member

May 17, 2010
    Country Flag:
    Re: Bandstand with disc pendulum

image.jpg image.jpg
    I luv these gb bandstand louvre's they are really pretty and here is some pics of the Australian model with Roman numerals I have found quit a few here in Australia over the years and they all carry the same dial.

3. John Hubby

John Hubby Principal Administrator
    NAWCC Member

Sep 7, 2000
    The Woodlands, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

Jim, thanks for posting. This one with serial number 4405 and Plate 1207 was made just after mid-1931. It appears complete and original and is in really quite good condition from its appearance in your photos. For info, at one point I had concluded the Junghans takeover of GB was in late 1925 or early 1926, but about a year ago documentation was found that proves the takeover was actually in May 1930. Thus, the change in GB's serial numbering system occurred well before the takeover and must have been for other reasons. What we have also found within the past couple of years, is that the new serial numbering started in May 1925. There are a number of clocks with dated inscriptions that we previously could not explain that now fit perfectly with this change date. In addition, GB started stamping their "Amerikaner" time and strike movements with the actual month and year of manufacture at that same time. This was initially in a format of (letter-year) such as "e 25" for May 1925 which has been documented. Later, around the end of 1927 and into early 1928 they changed the letter to a number, for example "11 27" for November 1927. The "MM-YY continued to the end of 1932 when the Freiburg factory was closed. The later GB logo clocks made with Junghans or HAC movements used the Junghans date system of "YY-MM".

This clock is illustrated in Tran Duy Ly's "Gustav Becker" book as model No. 484 taken from the GB 1926 sale catalog, but with the first design GB 4-Ball pendulum:
    Mod. No. 484 Louvre.jpg The examples in my database are divided about 3 to 2 between the GB 4-Ball and the GB disc pendulum. The second version of the GB 4-Ball was introduced in 2nd half 1925, and a large majority of the clocks with a 4-Ball have that version. It is the one illustrated as pendulum No. 34, which has an exposed threaded tube above the rating cylinder whereas the first version had a straight full-length cylinder with a convex ring around the center of the cylinder. Also, the second version has a wide "skirt" around the top of the pendulum and the first has a narrow rounded cap.

Per your request I'm moving this to the "Post Your Gustav Becker 400-Day Clocks Here" thread.

4. John Hubby

NAWCC Member

Sep 7, 2000
    The Woodlands, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

Mike, thanks for posting the photos of your GB Louvre's. Could you post the details of each one for documentation purposes? Thanks in advance.

5. TORSIONKID

TORSIONKID Registered User
    NAWCC Member

May 17, 2010
    Country Flag:

Hi john
    i have sold all 3 but I contacted all the buyers and managed to get of the numbers that are 4691 and 4554 but I do remember when I had them that all the 3 had been within 150 but I can't remember if he third one was higher or lower sorry.

6. macaw

macaw Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 23, 2014
    Minnesota
    #456 macaw, Aug 2, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2015

DSCN3413.jpg DSCN3415.jpg DSCN3416.jpg
    sn/1945878. Pendulum and clock match. Complete clean and rebuild, keeps excellent time.

7. macaw

macaw Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 23, 2014
    Minnesota
    Latest Becker

DSCN3540.jpg DSCN3541.jpg DSCN3545.jpg DSCN3550.jpg Just got this one today to add to the stack to be cleaned up. SN/ 2395137. I haven't seen many of this style posted and would like to know age and anything else about it. (Pretty sure this one's a Becker) I don't know if the pendulum came with the clock, it looks like the serial number was partly written over the top of the first one.
    Mark

8. gintarasb64

gintarasb64 Registered User

Oct 1, 2012
    Male
    Lithuania
    Country Flag:
    This is mine GB anniversary clock. It would be very interesting to get more info about the clock.
    Thank you and best regards

Gintaras

Attached Files:

9. John Hubby

NAWCC Member

Sep 7, 2000
    The Woodlands, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

Mark, I don't recall documenting these two clocks in other threads so I guess I missed them somehow. Sorry for the long delay; I'll comment on each one separately.
    This clock was made near the end of 1906 based on the serial number. The movement has Plate 1199 which coincidentally shows the actual year of manufacture. Having the pendulum with matching serial number shows it started life with the clock thus all is fully original including the suspension guard and upper suspension bracket.

This clock design was not identified in the first GB sale catalogs we had access to, but was finally found in a sales brochure from the company it was made for. That was Kuehl Clock Co. of Chicago and Berlin, who purchased GB clocks from the July-September quarter of 1907 to the end of 1925. The "K.C.Co. Germany" stamped on your dial refers to the fact they had offices in Berlin and also were partners in a Black Forest Clock Company making cuckoo clocks for the U.S. market. I don't know if that lowered the tariff rate or gave come other advantage, but they started using the "K.C.Co. Germany" just before mid-1909, about the same time they acquired their interest in the Black Forest operation. Their earlier purchases from 1907 until this change had the dial imprinted with "Made in Germany for Kuehl Clock Co. Chicago" at 6:00 outside the chapter ring.

The model of your clock is No. 500, which was manufactured from 1912 to 1921 based on examples documented to date. Your has the highest serial number so far for this model and was made near the beginning of 1921; the movement has Plate 1207A which was used for all these models I have documented. Most of these models made before WWI have a turned mahogany base in the same shape as the brass base on your clock; after the war only the brass version was made. One has been documented with a turned green marble base of the same shape as the earlier standard GB brass base, it was made about mid-1913.

The overscribe of the "5" over the number "4" in the serial number on the bottom of your pendulum was something that happened in the factory. I have seen a few other examples, and the fact it was done in the middle of the serial number is a strong indication it was simply a mistake made by the worker who had the task to scribe the numbers once the pendulum had been selected for a particular clock. I would consider the pendulum to be original to the clock.

10. GT.NZ

GT.NZ Registered User

Jul 18, 2015
    Male
    Retired
    Levin, New Zealand
    Country Flag:
    #460 GT.NZ, May 26, 2016
    Last edited: May 26, 2016
    Becker for John's Database

Hi all,

Another for the database. Last night I missed out on Becker clock 4979 with 4 ball pendulum. The auction's still visible if anyone wants to look at the pictures - http://www.trademe.co.nz/a.aspx?id=1090826831 . The seller thought it was c 1904 because of an old sale notice he'd found so I suggested Freiburg 1932 was more likely based on John's database. I hope I didn't put him wrong. I believe the clock to have been worth possibly more that I was prepared to spend but there are limits. The eventual buyer isn't likely to be thanking me ...

Glyn

11. John Hubby

NAWCC Member

Sep 7, 2000
    The Woodlands, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Gintaras, thanks very much for posting the photos of your GB 400-Day Clock.

You have model No. 503 as shown in GB sale catalogs from 1924 to 1932, the last year of production at the Freiburg factory. Based on the serial number 2431 your clock was made in the April-June quarter of 1928.

The pendulum is the first version of GB's 4-Ball pendulums, which was first introduced in early 1916. This design continued to be used until 1932, even though GB had introduced an improved version in 1925 that was easier to set the clock rate. I suspect they were too optimistic about their sales and had more of the first version made than needed, so they must have intermixed them o offered the buyers a choice.

These are very attractive clocks and quite collectible.

12. John Hubby

NAWCC Member

Sep 7, 2000
    The Woodlands, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Re: Becker for John's Database

Glyn, thanks for providing the link to this GB clock. Your dating was spot on, in fact it was made right near the end of production at the Freiburg factory in late 1932. The highest serial number recorded so far for the 1925-1932 production is 4990 and this clock is only 11 digits below that.

The Roman number dial is not found that often so that's an added attraction to the clock. Having the "C" decor piece (see Appendix 87 in the Repair Guide) at the front and the embossed fern pattern in the dial bezel also makes it quite attractive.

13. GT.NZ

GT.NZ Registered User

Jul 18, 2015
    Male
    Retired
    Levin, New Zealand
    Country Flag:

Perhaps I should have bid a bit higher but I have my hands full trying to get a 1968 JUM/7 going and tomorrow I'm collecting my fixed pendulum Huber/Badische/Kienzle. My son has also threatened to "have a talk" with me if I buy any more clocks.

Glyn

14. pollythecat

pollythecat Registered User

Jul 17, 2016
    East Sussex
    Country Flag:

I have a couple of Gustav Becker's, this one is the first 400 day clock I bought and serviced. It was in quite a state but it's amazing what a bit of spit and polish will do and it runs very well once set up. Serial number of clock:- 1946784. Serial number of pendulum:- H J (or F) 2268428.
    DSC_4644.JPG DSC_4648.JPG DSC_4652.jpg

The other clock I got the other day and is pre servicing. Clock and pendulum serial number:- 1802575.
    DSC_4633.JPG DSC_4680.JPG DSC_4682.jpg DSC_4683.jpg

15. John Hubby

NAWCC Member

Sep 7, 2000
    The Woodlands, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

Polly, thanks for posting these in the GB 400-Day thread. This one was made about December 1906 (my dad was born the same time this one was made) and has Plate 1199. The pendulum was made in the January-March quarter of 1913 based on its serial number.

This one was made about September-October 1904 based on the serial number. It has Plate 1195A, with the matching pendulum being the first variation of the GB disc pendulum as found with the very first Graham escapement GB movements made in 1902.

Both are great clocks, you did an outstanding job of restoration with the first one, do post this one when you have it finished.

16. pollythecat

Jul 17, 2016
    East Sussex
    Country Flag:

Hello John,

Thank's again for your input, The clock was finished this weekend and the service was straight forward as the clock was in good overall condition. The hour hand was replaced with one from a Becker with a slightly larger dial so I had to trim its length and also file it a little narrower. I have searched for a better replacement but to no avail so this will do as a bookmark.
    [​IMG]

17. pollythecat

Jul 17, 2016
    East Sussex
    Country Flag:

Polly's just finished polishing up another run of the mill standard Gustav Becker.

Serial number with matching pendulum 2249461.

Although nothing out of the ordinary I bought it because it appeared in un-fiddled about with condition, and I am happy to report it was with no adjustments being made or wear and all the screw heads un-chewed. Did not run due to old congealed oil and for some reason it had been fitted with a much thinner spring than I replaced it with (0.0045 thinned down a little).

The base was a different storey being painted but after paint stripper and metal polish it was in good condition:)

DSC_5125.JPG DSC_5135.JPG DSC_5136.JPG DSC_5139.JPG DSC_5143.JPG

18. gintarasb64

Oct 1, 2012
    Male
    Lithuania
    Country Flag:
    Hello,

I just bought this Gustav Becker anniversary clock. Fork, top and bottom blocks are missing. I think that this is plate 1199 according Horolovar Repair Guide and .004 suspension string should be used. I would like to ask more information about this clock. Best regards
    Gintaras

Attached Files:

19. KurtinSA

KurtinSA Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 24, 2014
    Aerospace Engineer (Ret.)
    San Antonio, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
  20. gintarasb64

Oct 1, 2012
    Male
    Lithuania
    Country Flag:
    I had this Gustav Becker bandstand anniversary clock for few days, make some repairing.

Gintaras

Attached Files:

21. gintarasb64

Oct 1, 2012
    Male
    Lithuania
    Country Flag:
    I just bought this GB 400 day clock. The serial number on the back plate is 1801732. Unfortunately the dial is not in good condition. Is it possible to repair the dial or should I look for some replacement? Is it originally painted or lacquered? From previous posts I guess that clock was made ~ 1903 ? Any information would be very interesting for me.

Gintaras

22. KurtinSA

KurtinSA Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 24, 2014
    San Antonio, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The date is more towards the end of 1904. Nice to see it in a wooden 4-window case. I wonder if that is original.

Kurt

23. etmb61

etmb61 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Oct 25, 2010
    Retired
    Mascoutah, IL
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The dial was silvered, and since the numbers and chapter ring are engraved it can be redone with good results. No need to replace it. Search in the repair forum for the process and products to use.

Very nice clock! Wish I could find one in my price range.

Eric

24. John Hubby

NAWCC Member

Sep 7, 2000
    The Woodlands, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Gintaras, thanks for posting your GB clock. The case is original and shown in GB sale catalogs as model No. 480, with Mahogany 4-Glass Lift-Off Cover. This model was made from early 1903 to mid-1912, also being documented having a solid oak case. Your clock was made about October 1904 based on the movement serial number

As already pointed out your dial is silvered. It is engraved solid brass, so it can be restored quite nicely to original condition. The original dial silver was a soft matte finish, "not" shiny as I have seen some polished out.

I somehow missed the Louvre model clock you posted back in October last year. :( In any event, it appears the serial number is 4903, which places it being completed about Sept.-Oct. 1932, being among the last one hundred or so GB 400-Day clocks produced. The highest serial number I have recorded to date is 4990, only 87 units higher than yours.

It looks like all is present on this clock; the only comment I might observe is that the pendulum cap at the top above the weight arms and below the hook appears to have been modified from original design. The pendulum is actually the first 4-Ball design, and normally that cap is rounded downward so it covers the upper ends of the weight arms. There are slots for each arm in the cover, I think someone may have made those because they didn't know how to take the pendulum apart. Otherwise, it is a very nice example, and should not be all that difficult to find a replacement pendulum or maybe someone will have a "parts" pendulum with weights missing or something. I am attaching a photo of what the pendulum should look like. View attachment 345920

25. gintarasb64

Oct 1, 2012
    Male
    Lithuania
    Country Flag:
    #475 gintarasb64, Jul 11, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2017
    I am glad to share my another Gustav Becker 400 day clock . Any information about the clock would be very interesting.
    Best regards
    Gintaras

26. John Hubby

NAWCC Member

Sep 7, 2000
    The Woodlands, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Gintaras, thanks very much for posting your GB clock. The turned mahogany second base is a nice addition to the clock, would have been done by an owner or shop but not from the factory. Based on the serial number 2198615 your clock was made about April 1911.

It is good to see the pendulum has the same serial number, indicating this is the original pendulum from the factory.

There are two parts now with your clock that are not original:

1) The upper suspension bracket is No. 38, which was used only by Kienzle (late 1920s), Kern & Link (1929-1937), and Kern & Söhne (1937 Onward). The original bracket would have been No. 7, which was introduced in 1909. From the beginning of 1910 until the beat adjustment bracket No. 8 was patented in March 1913 upper bracket No. 7 was the only one used by GB. It is not difficult to find replacements.

2) The suspension guard is the first version introduced by GB in 1905. It was used until late 1909 with upper brackets No. 4 and No. 5 and a third bracket not illustrated in the Repair Guide that looks like a combination of these two brackets. It is taller than the next version and the upper end iis folded over at a 90 degree angle. The guard that should be with your clock is shorter and has a rounded upper end, that just fits below the saddle support platform of upper bracket No. 7 which was introduced in second half 1909 at the same time as the new suspension guard.

The rest of your clock appears to be original and should clean up quite nicely.

27. MartinM

MartinM Registered User
    Donor

Jun 24, 2011
    Male
    Medical Insurance Systems Analyst
    El Dorado, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Is the 38 a typo?
    It's pretty close to #18, but not the same.
    I don't see the example on this clock actually in the guide.

28. John Hubby

NAWCC Member

Sep 7, 2000
    The Woodlands, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    You are correct the actual bracket isn't in the Repair Guide, but it "is" the bracket that was used only by Kienzle (late 1920s), Kern & Link (1929-1937), and Kern & Söhne (1937 Onward). I should have made that point and then noted that the actual bracket isn't illustrated but "looks like" No. 38 only larger by about 25%.

It's not at all like No. 18, which is made from cast brass. This one is stamped from sheet brass.

29. gintarasb64

Oct 1, 2012
    Male
    Lithuania
    Country Flag:
    #479 gintarasb64, Aug 6, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 7, 2017
    Re: 400 Day Clock Indentification & Suspension Help

Last week I received this beautiful GB skeleton clock. Any information about the clock is very interesting for me.
    Gintaras

30. KurtinSA

KurtinSA Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 24, 2014
    San Antonio, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
  31. John Hubby

NAWCC Member

Sep 7, 2000
    The Woodlands, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

Gintaras, congratulations and thanks for posting! Your GB skeleton appears complete and original including the pendulum, but with a missing suspension guard. The one with rounded top sold by Michael Kiss in Australia is a perfect replica of the correct suspension guard for your clock.

Your clock was made in January 1910, in the first of four "batches" of skeleton clocks made in 1910 and 1911. There is a lot of information about all this in the thread link posted by Kurt. I still need to post photos of the dial variations I have documented in that thread, hopefully can find time to do that later this week.

32. gintarasb64

Oct 1, 2012
    Male
    Lithuania
    Country Flag:

John , Thank you. The suspension guard is included, I just took off it - need to replace suspension spring. Maybe you can also take a look at my post https://mb.nawcc.org/showthread.php?10545-Post-Your-Gustav-Becker-Clocks-Here&p=1130612&viewfull=1#post1130612 and probably provide more info ?

Regards
    Gintaras

33. Kamil Urbanowicz

Kamil Urbanowicz Registered User

Aug 17, 2010
    #483 Kamil Urbanowicz, Aug 19, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 19, 2017

Here goes picture of the gb mercury pendulum clock.

34. John Hubby

NAWCC Member

Sep 7, 2000
    The Woodlands, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

Kamil, thanks very much for posting your GB with mercury pendulum. It will be appreciated if you would also post photos of the movement including back plate and side views, so we can identify the upper suspension bracket and the back plate itself. Is the movement serial number the same as the one on the pendulum disc?

For info, the pendulum is a marriage. Here is why:

1) The GB pendulum disc, which is an original from a No. 23 GB disc pendulum, is scribed with serial number 2088453. This serial number was made about April 1909.

2) The patent for the cross-tube mercury pendulum, DRGM 453568, was granted to Andreas Huber on January 23, 1911. It is thus impossible that the mercury tubes could have been available to mount on a GB pendulum disc in 1909.

3) The presentation inscription is dated November 21, 1912. That shows the pendulum now with the clock could easily have been assembled using the disc from the original GB pendulum and the "top works" of one of the early mercury design pendulums produced after the patent was granted. In fact, looking closely at the pendulum I see the following:

>> The disc is without question a standard GB No. 23 pendulum disc. It has been modified by addition of four holes on the center diameter of the flat top to enable mounting of the mercury pendulum cross-tube support frame. The original mounting screws from the mercury pendulum were likely used.

>> The GB center post, adjusting rod, and weights were used instead of these same parts from the mercury pendulum. This was likely done because the adjusting weights for the mercury pendulum have guide pins that require slots in the top of the pendulum disc, which the GB disc does not have. The GB center post had a threaded hole in the top center where the gallery and hook shaft screwed in, that hole appears to have been filled with solder. The adjusting rod position screw on the side of the center post is visible in the photos; the mercury pendulum version has that screw at the top center of the post.

Here is a photo of an original No. 9 mercury pendulum, note the center post detail and compare to Kamil's pendulum.

View attachment 354296
    Also note the quite different adjustment weights compared to the ones on Kamil's pendulum.

One final comment regarding the use of the No. 9 mercury pendulum. Up to now, serial number matches between movements and the mercury pendulums have been found ONLY with Kienzle movements made from 1913 to 1920. While these pendulums have been found with other maker's clocks, none of them appear to have been original equipment with those clocks.

35. Kamil Urbanowicz

Kamil Urbanowicz Registered User

Aug 17, 2010
    #485 Kamil Urbanowicz, Aug 20, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 27, 2017

Here is all i have. Interesting is that the outer arms that holds the tubes are thinner than the middle one?

36. John Hubby

NAWCC Member

Sep 7, 2000
    The Woodlands, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

Kamil, thanks for the additional photos. These confirm that the upper suspension bracket is No. 4 in the Repair Guide and that the pendulum disc and the movement have the same serial number.

Regarding the mercury tube support arms, I also noticed these were thinner than the center supports on your pendulum. I checked the ones I have and they are all the same thickness. I also looked at a number that I have in my photo archives and they all have the arms and the centers of the same thickness. I can only presume that whoever made the modified pendulum did not have the original parts and made the two arms with the thickest brass stock he had available. The arms look quite similar to the originals except for the thickness, so it should work OK.

37. roughbarked

roughbarked Registered User

Dec 2, 2016
    watchmaker
    Western NSW, Australia
    Country Flag:
    #487 roughbarked, Sep 6, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2017

This clock came in today. The lower suspension block was unattached but present. Someone had at some time in the past, attempted to solder the bottom block to the suspension spring and the spring itself had been heat treated in the centre. After a quick examination I opened the bottom block and reinserted the spring, closed the block and hung the pendulum on. Of course this required me to remove the guard rails and the spring assembly to carry out this operation. Upon rehanging the spring and pendulum, the clock began to run and kept time within a few minutes over the course of the rest of the day. I don't have a list of backplates or numbers to be able to determine the date of manufacture but I am reasonably sure that it is a Gustav Becker.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] The last photo is of the clock just before I left the shop.
    Hmm. The first two thumbnails show up sideways. Had thought I'd deleted those.

38. KurtinSA

KurtinSA Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 24, 2014
    San Antonio, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

This was made in the 1925 timeframe...John Hubby says GB stopped using the 7-digit numbering system and started over with 1. Is it a miniature? The columns seem kind of short.

Kurt

39. roughbarked

Dec 2, 2016
    watchmaker
    Western NSW, Australia
    Country Flag:
    #489 roughbarked, Sep 6, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2017

I wouldn't class it as a miniature, no. The overall clock is large compared to the size of the dial. It has a small dial, 3 inches I'd guess. The suspension spring is at least 12 cm long or more. Don't quote me because I didn't measure it. Overall, the clock stands at approx 35+ cm with the dome on.

40. KurtinSA

KurtinSA Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 24, 2014
    San Antonio, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

OK, I guess it's just the pictures. Most of my GBs are also in the 25-30 cm size. I have a GB built the following year and it's only about 25 cm high. BTW, according to the repair guide, the decorative brass piece under the dial is one of three styles, yours being style C.

Kurt

41. roughbarked

Dec 2, 2016
    watchmaker
    Western NSW, Australia
    Country Flag:

This bit?[​IMG]

42. KurtinSA

KurtinSA Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 24, 2014
    San Antonio, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

Yup!

Kurt

43. roughbarked

Dec 2, 2016
    watchmaker
    Western NSW, Australia
    Country Flag:

This site suggests that: 1927 Restart at 0001 due to take-over by Junghans. http://www.aussieclocks.com.au/details.php?p_id=137

44. KurtinSA

KurtinSA Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 24, 2014
    San Antonio, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
  45. roughbarked

Dec 2, 2016
    watchmaker
    Western NSW, Australia
    Country Flag:

Fair enough. Thanks.

46. gintarasb64

Oct 1, 2012
    Male
    Lithuania
    Country Flag:
    I would like to share pictures of my new acquisition - beautiful Gustav Becker 400 day clock with 4 ball pendulum. Unfortunately the suspension guard is missing, will look for replacement. Roman numbers is unusual for me - I newer saw GB 400 day clock with Roman numbers before. I hope you will provide more details about the clock
    Best regards
    Gintaras

20171006_201401.jpg 20171006_201408.jpg 20171006_201429.jpg 20171006_201434.jpg 20171006_201508.jpg 20171006_201545.jpg 20171007_174912.jpg 20171007_174919.jpg 20171007_175000.jpg 20171006_200807.jpg

47. marylander

marylander Registered User

Sep 9, 2008
    Electrical Design Engineer
    Maryland
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    John, This is a piece of date for your record. Last week, one of my friend in Hong Kong gave me three GB clocks. They all need to be restored. Unfortunately, one of the clock has first wheel and the escapement wheel replaced. The eccentric piece was badly damaged. The escapement wheel was not the correct size So, it will not be fix this time. Here I will post the other two in separate posts. This one has a serial number 1946797 and the plate is 1201. The bottom plate of the base was complete stripped down to the bare steel, so I could only sand down and polish it. The remain base was still in good shape. I took apart the clock to clean and lube. The pendulum has a matching number. The clock is running strong. I can see the 1906 clock is a lot better in material than later models.
    Please let me know if the back plate number and dating are correct.
    Ming

DSC_2989.JPG DSC_2993.JPG DSC_2994.JPG DSC_2995.JPG DSC_3014.JPG DSC_3007.JPG DSC_3009.JPG DSC_3010.JPG DSC_3013.JPG

48. marylander

Sep 9, 2008
    Maryland
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    John, This is the other GB. The back plate # is 1207A and the serial number is 2268819. I have cleaned and lubed the clock. The base and supporting flame were polished. The pendulum has a matching number as the back plate. I need to polished the pendulum and make a suitable suspension sprint for it. Currently it is running on a 0.00415" spring for testing. It is running very well. I am very happy that my friend gave me these three clocks. They keep me business.
    Ming

DSC_3015.JPG DSC_3016.JPG DSC_3017.JPG DSC_3019.JPG DSC_3021.JPG DSC_3022.JPG

49. marylander

Sep 9, 2008
    Maryland
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #499 marylander, Oct 30, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2017
    John, This is not a working GB for your data record. The back plate number is 1207A and the serial number is 2160620. According to your dating table, The pendulum has a matching number as the back plate. But the top pediment is that of a JUF. I polished the base and support flame. it is of year 1910. Please let me know if they are correct.
    Ming

DSC_3028.JPG DSC_3027.JPG DSC_3024.JPG DSC_3023.JPG

50. John Hubby

NAWCC Member

Sep 7, 2000
    The Woodlands, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    What is on the Chapter 72 site is what we thought we knew in 2011, that was taken from info that I wrote about a year or so before that. I will contact their webmaster and provide updated info for them (I joined the NAWCC in the chapter in 1982 while working on assignment in Australia). I recall in 2013, Hans-Heinrich Schmid found the actual takeover date when Junghans acquired GB, and it was in May 1930, not in 1927. Also that same year, I uncovered several GB Amerikaner design movements that were stamped on the front plates with date stamps ranging from may 1925 to the early 1930s. Finally I uncovered the DRP patent for the GB adjustable upper suspension bracket which was granted in March 1913, about a year before I had it dated from other sources.

When these three firm data points were worked into my GB database, it did two things: First, it resolved several anomalies on dating, where a presentation date inscribed in a clock base or attached plaque was several months up to two years earlier than my data showed the clock was made. Secondly, it explained exactly what had happened in May 1925 when the "SILESIA" stamp and the round GB anchor and Medaille d'Or logos stamps simply disappeared, and GB tossed out their old serial number system that covered virtually all their clocks with serial numbers, and restarted with four sets of numbers for different types of clocks. I had to completely rework my GB dating going back to mis-1911 and all the way to the end of 1932 when the GB Freiburg factory was closed. I posted an interim set of data in early 2014, and that was later updated in 2015 and again in May 2016, which is the last update I did. I hope to have a new update posted by the end of the year, there will be very little change to the Freiburg data that includes 400-Day clocks.

The Braunau data is going to have some changes in the period 1913 to 1926, as some questions regarding when certain types of clocks were made have been at least partially resolved. I also will be adding a new dating table for the GB alarm clocks that were made and serially numbered from 1876 to 1916. I have found that GB had a completely separate set of serial numbers for these clocks that started with the pendulum versions and carried through the change from pendulum to balance wheel escapements that happened from late 1911 to early 1913. From 1913 to the end of 1916 or into 1917 GB continued using serial numbers but not after 1917 as best I can determine.