Post Your Gebrüder Resch clocks here.

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by tarant, Jun 22, 2013.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Steven Thornberry

Steven Thornberry User Administrator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    Re: Post Your Gebrüder Resch clocks here.

I am reluctant to merge these several independent threads. Each post in each thread would appear in chronological order in the combined thread. As a result, specific discussions would be disrupted, which would be confusing. It is better to leave them as links, as you have done.

2. Ulan

Ulan Registered User

Oct 5, 2010
    Poland
    Country Flag:

Hello All,
    Great initiative.
    1001 This one (industrial) was already presented, however due to very low serial numbers ( no older in evidence) worth to show again
    80.jpg
    84.jpg
    86.jpg

38861 dial 13cm, signed only on the dial
    64.jpg
    65.jpg
    66.jpg
    67.jpg

Both above Vienna's movement comparison:
    68.jpg

242675 , big part of the case after reconstruction, pendulum not from the set.
    69.jpg
    No movement's picture available now.

Waiting for other interesting pictures from forum members...

Tatyana likes this.
  3. tarant

tarant Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Neurohorologist ;)
    Wroclaw
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
  4. Scottie-TX

Scottie-TX Registered User
    Deceased

Apr 6, 2004
    Retired
    Mesquite, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

Thanks VERY much TARANT for starting this RESCH compilation that will benefit many in the future who have questions or interest in RESCH. Currently I do not own a RESCH clock altho MANY have passed over my bench and I do have a very high opinion of their products. Here is my contribution I thought you and others may find interesting. I happened across this VERY complete movement and I recall it was a bargain and even tho I currently have no destination for it, decided this would be a keeper at least for a while. Unusual about it is that ALL it's accessories are nickel plated! Right down to the reg. assy., etc. For those who often ask the question, "how much weight did the mfr. provide?" I can say, "two pounds"Here for your collection a nickel plated RESCH 100000/34952. Enjoy. This is as complete and original as they get.

Attached Files:

5. Scottie-TX

Scottie-TX Registered User
    Deceased

Apr 6, 2004
    Retired
    Mesquite, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

I have no inkling of idea why but Pee-Tah shared this with me and I have found it so; Typically Viennas come in two pendulum lengths - 27" and 25". For some reason the majority of RESCH movements we've encountered are of the short variety - 25". As well, this one is 25. Huh?

Attached Files:

6. jmclaugh

jmclaugh Registered User

Jun 1, 2006
    Devon
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

Interesting, unless my eyes deceive me the movements Ulan posted support the claim Resch did make movements without the Remember mark. I have an Alt Deutsch walnut case single weight Resch, serial # 45,181 on backplate, mounting bracket and pendulum rod and Remember logo on the movement. No pics handy though.

7. soaringjoy

soaringjoy Registered User

Feb 12, 2009
    Germany, North Rhine-Westphalia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

Let's let Zepernick speak again:

A six-page article about the myth and the Gebrüder Resch in general appeared in the August 2009 NAWCC Bulletin. Entitled "Remember Remember -- The Gebrüder Resch Trademark & the Wedding Tale," it traces the myth to Kochmann. The actual registrations of the trademark in the Austrian system are included.

It is a part of this older thread:

https://mb.nawcc.org/showthread.php?78573-Remember-%28-%29-Regulator

Yes, we do know, that Resch used the "Remember" logo quite some time before the Junghans takeover.
    The Remember mark was first regitered in 1890 officially, but there is evidence, that it was in use before that year (first reference is from 1885).
    Even earlier, Resch used their regular GR stamp.

8. Albra

Albra Registered User

Oct 17, 2006

Greetings Piotr and congrats to your input for this new thread. And most likely we will find new insights in clock and history of Gebr. Resch.

Yes the story of the TM "REmember" as a commemorate of the marriage of a daughter of Junghans is a beautiful story: No more, but no less. Because in an issue of the Austrian-Hungarian watchmaker newspaper I found in 1885 this Resch-ad with the company logo "remember".

Resch. Gebr. 1885.jpg

For unknown sources of this logo should have been for the export of clocks from Gebr Resch in the U.S..

Please also note the history of Gebr. Resch in the "Lexikon"

albra

9. Steven Thornberry

Steven Thornberry User Administrator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:

Seeing a fair amount of interest in this thread, I have placed a link to it in the Post [Your Maker's Name] Clocks sticky at the top of the forum.

Though you might think me rash,
    I named it simply "Resch,"
    For I was in a rush.

10. jmclaugh

jmclaugh Registered User

Jun 1, 2006
    Devon
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

Yes, an excellent article complete with Doug's usual wit.

For those who haven't read the article the reference to the wedding of a Junghans' daughter does not refer to the 'Remember' logo at all. The story is that to mark the wedding, which I understand happened on the same day the Junghans' purchase of Resch was concluded in 1901, movements would henceforth be marked "Remembrance". To date it appears no Resch movement or afaik Junghans' movement has ever turned up bearing the logo "Remembrance".

11. tarant

tarant Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Neurohorologist ;)
    Wroclaw
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #12 tarant, Jun 24, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2013

Junghans used no "Rememberance"....
    Most of the clocks produced in Ebensee had signature like this:
    IMG_4773.jpg IMG_4770.jpg IMG_4774.jpg

The anchor get regulated palettes and the pendulum new suspension.
    This clock (not my...) was probably produced about 1905.
    3269016908_1.jpg 3269016908_2.jpg

The clockmaker and wholesaler from Warsaw, Ludwik Maurycy (L.M.) Lilpop died on 15.12.1905. (Anton Augustyn Lilpop, Austrian clockmaker came to Warsaw from Graz in 1774).
    3269016908_3.jpg

But, as my colleague Mariusz wrote here:
    https://mb.nawcc.org/showthread.php?103434-Vienna-Regulator&p=788090&viewfull=1#post788090
    The first signature used after take over by Junghans could be this:
    msg-6402-0-97512800-1371752064.jpg
    277501 - the highest noted in our database serial number. Were about 36680 clocks produced with this signature between 1901 and 1905 ? That's the question ;)

12. jmclaugh

jmclaugh Registered User

Jun 1, 2006
    Devon
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

Here's a photo of my Resch I mentioned earlier. The photo makes it looks a tad squashed through rotating and doesn't really do it justice. It measures 55" high and 17" wide.

Attached Files:

13. soaringjoy

Feb 12, 2009
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #14 soaringjoy, Jun 25, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2013

IMO, the way Kochmann saw it, "Remember" and (his) "Remembrance" were the same thing.
    Kochmann, of German (or was it Austrian?) origin, was not fluent in English.
    When thinking in German - and writing in English, a word like "Remembrance" almost instantly shows up in your mind.
    I guess Kochmann just got his words mixed up.

Doug, a linguist (teaching at a German university) had indeed noticed that, but tried to avoid the point, because it would have
    become very, very exhausting. :)

So, we should quickly forget about any "Junghans Remembrance weddings" associated with Resch Remember clock movements.
    What is left are the two unproven theories:

1)
    "Remember" was added by the Resch sons in memory of Lorenz Resch's death around the late 1870s. The actual first mention is 1885, as shown in the Austrian ad by Albra.

2)
    "Remember" was added in order to promote Resch exports easier to the UK or U.S.A.

Research on the Resch company is extremely difficult, even over here in continental Europe, because there is not enough access to information coming out of Austria, the country then being an Imperial Austro-Hungary Monarchy.
    German clock journals such as the Deutsche Uhrmacher Zeitung (DUZ) and Allgemeines Journal der Uhrmacherkunst (AJU)
    on the other hand, have practically no mention of Resch until the Junghans takeover and old Austrian journals are extremely hard to get to. Even in these, Resch informations or ads are very scarce.
    The German and the Austrian clock factories were more or less hostile competitors - not only because of political matters.
    This led to the founding of several German branch factories in Austria (Braunau, Komotau) in order to get footholds in
    Austria and towards eastern Europe.

The Junghans company itself never was very fond of keeping detailed records about the companies they sacked; we can see what happened after the takeover, but not very well what happened before that date.

Hopefully, this explains a bit of the dilemna we're in and any additional information is highly welcome.

14. tarant

tarant Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Neurohorologist ;)
    Wroclaw
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #15 tarant, Jun 25, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2013

The Resch family was noted in Vienna in address and firm lists since the beginning of the XIX th century.
    1803:
    GR1.jpg GR2.jpg

1853:
    GR3.jpg

1859:
    GR4.jpg

They were noted as jewelers. Famous for its extra quality medals and orders.

GR5.jpg

When brothers Resch decided to produce clocks ?
    The oldest info I've found is from the year 1864. Jewelers Joseph and Lorenz Resch became...clockmakers.
    GR7.jpg
    The second address is now Mariahilfer Strasse 61.
    MHS61.jpg

Add from 1866. Tower clocks in offer !!!

1866.jpg

The family business was growing. In 1873 Karl, Wilhelm and Gustav (!!! another clock - Gustav ;) ) were not only jewelers and clockmakers but already clock producers (Uhrenfabrikanten) too. They had the new factory in Ebensee.

GR8.jpg

GR2.jpg GR1.jpg GR3.jpg GR4.jpg GR5.jpg GR7.jpg GR8.jpg MHS61.jpg 1866.jpg

chronologiker likes this.
  15. jmclaugh

jmclaugh Registered User

Jun 1, 2006
    Devon
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #16 jmclaugh, Jun 26, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2013

I reckon Kochmann's English was very good. The entry for Resch in his book Trademark Index of European Origin contains references to both Remember and Remembrance which indicates he knew the difference and meaning of the two words. That book says Remembrance was adopted in 1901 as the mark for all wall clocks in remembrance of the wedding of a Junghans daughter.

As for the theories you mention as there is no evidence to corroborate either of them they should be taken with a pinch of salt. It is a great shame Doug is no longer with us to give us his view.

tarant, the information you posted is very interesting and I hadn't seen most it before, thanks for taking the time to do so.

16. soaringjoy

Feb 12, 2009
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

The above conclusions come from conversations with Doug.

Certainly the theories I listed are not verified; that's why I wrote "unproven".
    The first were Doug's conclusions and the second is what is "en vogue" among German
    researchers.

Tarant, thank you well for the clippings.

17. jmclaugh

jmclaugh Registered User

Jun 1, 2006
    Devon
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

I watched an episode of Poirot today entitled The Clocks and one clock had the name Rosemary on the case and was left with a baby girl when her mother gave her up for adoption. The girl now grown up is wrongly accused of murder and Poirot having of course proved her innocence and being of a kindly nature consoled the girl by telling her Rosemary in folklore means Remembrance. It made me wonder if perhaps the newly married Junghans daughter may have been called Rosemary.

18. soaringjoy

Feb 12, 2009
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #19 soaringjoy, Jul 3, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2013

Nothing in the Junghans family tree comes close to Rosemarie or similar, but it was worth
    a shot.
    Poirot (the character, not Sir P.) was a "French" speaking Belgian Walloon, I wonder how all
    that might have translated to English and then back to German again, oh my. ;)

19. jmclaugh

jmclaugh Registered User

Jun 1, 2006
    Devon
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

Doh, that's the trouble with theories.

Romarin, Rosemary and Rosmarin I think. ;)

20. Albra

Albra Registered User

Oct 17, 2006
    #21 Albra, Jul 8, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 10, 2013

Greetings Piotr,

here are some thoughts on the development of factory Gebr Resch.

Resch. Gebr. 1885.jpg

And in particular, I would like to post an advertisement from Gebr Resch in 1885. It contains various features that we should look at closer:

1) This advertisment of 1885 already shows a logo.
    2) This logo is called the English brand name "Remember"
    3) This logo has additional letters as shortcut: O.V.R.M.Co.
    4) the company Ed Pfeil in Wieden was sole selling the clocks and movements.

To 1) Austrian (clocks) factories rarely used logos and if so, usually only later. That Resch used a logo already in 1885 (probably earlier), is unusual in Austria.

To 2) Logos are used particularly frequently in America but are in Europe an American fad, as it were. In Europe one finds usually just the name of the maker. In Germany logos do not come into use until around 1885-90. That at Gebr Resch available with this logo American influences, is confirmed by the word mark "Remember" again.

To 3) The letters in the logo OVRMCo can be translated as "original Vienna Regulator Manufacturing Company," which closely approximates the German "First Viennese clocks factory Gebr. Resch."

To 4) The fact that the exclusive distribution of clocks and movements has been assigned to another operation in 1885, shows that the Gebr Resch had no roots in the trade and were therefore dependent on the other company for distribution.

If we consider these observations, and especially the compounds of the logo in the Engl., we can see that the clock factory Gebr Resch must have exported their clocks to England or America very early, otherwise they would not have had an American character and American word mark. Who took over the export of these clocks and why the word mark "Remember" was chosen is unclear and probably cannot be clarified today. And possibly the export of the clocks was only temporary, early, but only temporary.

I have found two more points from the history:

The clock factory Gebr Resch employed 200 workers in 1885 already. There were produced 12-15,000 movements / clocks a year.

And now I -we- wonder what new knowledge will this thread bring about the Gebr Resch clocks and clocks factory in Ebensee.

albra

21. tarant

tarant Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Neurohorologist ;)
    Wroclaw
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #22 tarant, Jul 8, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2013

The "American path" is F. Kroeber from N.Y. He imported GR movements (ebauches from the ad) without "Remember" logo, but with classical SN (on the first post). Like GB anniversary clocks produced for BHA more than 30 years later.

123979 :
    https://mb.nawcc.org/showthread.php?78855-Identify-maker-of-Kroeber-movement

104066:
    https://mb.nawcc.org/showthread.php?35996-Kroeber-Resch-movement
    post-35992-0-02208600-1355427255.jpg

And probably the oldest known GR imported to USA (And still in USA AFAIK...). SN stamped by Resch is 14095. Kroeber's (?) SN 289:???:?

post-6402-0-44327400-1358941857.jpg post-6402-0-27502800-1358942009.jpg post-6402-0-91128600-1358941861.jpg post-6402-0-83718400-1358941954.jpg

22. Albra

Albra Registered User

Oct 17, 2006

Piotr, yes Florence Kröber most likely was the American importer. And Kröber may have provided the impetus for the "Remember" logo. (As far as I know, Kröber was a German immigrant, not Austrian, was he?)

That does not explain absolutely why the company Gebr Resch already has used a logo in Austria in the mid-1880s in American form , and thus at a time when logos in Austria were not yet common. But most likely can be explained as our observation.

albra

23. tarant

tarant Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Neurohorologist ;)
    Wroclaw
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #24 tarant, Jul 8, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 8, 2013

The answer on question "How, where and when the logo Remember was born " may be here.
    https://mb.nawcc.org/showthread.php?92873-Kroeber-Wall-Regulator&highlight=Kroeber+Wall+Regulator

Another Kroeber regulator. Unfortunately, there's no view of the whole back plate. The serial number is 60620 only or + 100000 (I don't think +200000). No " Remember " logo on the movement's back plate, only F.Kroeber N.Y. But on the back of the case - blurred stamp with O.V.R.M.Co and GR initials. Is Remember in the upper part ? I think so. Did Kroeber invented this ?

SAM_0008 - Copy (2).jpg

24. jmclaugh

jmclaugh Registered User

Jun 1, 2006
    Devon
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

I can't read what is on the back of the case well enough to say what it says. However afaik Resch did not stamp movements with the serial number on the front plate.

25. Albra

Albra Registered User

Oct 17, 2006

Hm I would say the movement with the Kröber-stamp is later, when the name of the importer had to be stamped in. May be in the 1890ies.

The first time we know the "REmember"-logo is this ad in 1885, but may be it was registered already before. And I would say Kröber gave the impetus for this logo, but it was registered in Austria by Gebr. Resch, not by Kröber in N.Y.

And cooperation, and also the influence of Kroeber on the company Gebr Resch we can view as certain. But a date for Remember the sign we unfortunately do not know. But in any case before 1885 and thus for Austrian standards very early.

These are wonderful insights, Piotr! Congratulations!

albra

26. tarant

tarant Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Neurohorologist ;)
    Wroclaw
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

All movements I've seen had SN (without 100000, 200000) on the front plate.

Stamp on the back of the case is like the signature on GR Freischwingers (this has SN 47430).

Attached Files:

27. jmclaugh

jmclaugh Registered User

Jun 1, 2006
    Devon
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

I own one that doesn't.

28. Albra

Albra Registered User

Oct 17, 2006

Piotr, I would like to draw your attention to the following points: in 1885 had Ed. Pfeil in Wieden the exclusive distribution rights of clocks and movements of Gebr. Resch. It was later reported in the watchmaker journal that Solomon Abeles in Wien took over the sole distribution from 01.01.1886 . As usual in Austria this included the right to buy clock cases, to provide them with movements, and to sell as complete clocks.

This could mean that clock cases with Gebr Resch logo were just purchased. But to identify that the case were were determined for movements of Gebr Resch , they were stamped with the Resch logo.

albra

29. Albra

Albra Registered User

Oct 17, 2006
    #30 Albra, Jul 10, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 10, 2013

I am aware that my posts contain many mistakes. (I beg your pardon: Mr. Google translater still speaks very little English, and he is still not an expert in clocks ... Ahem.) I would prefer, if Jürgen Soaringjoy or Steven Thornberry would correct the worst mistakes. (Thank you!)

Piotr, I also like to comment on the documents that you have shown:

They are great sources! But I am surprised at one thing:

According these sources Gebr Resch offered in the 1860's tower clocks for stations, churches, factories etc.

This is a very wide range of clocks, and one needs different types of clocks for churches or stations. Second, to make tower clocks one needs special equipment, other than is needed for vienna regulators, such as a steel-foundry (not brass!!), etc..

But later Gebr. Resch didn´t offer tower clocks. What does this mean?

So, as this ad is written, it could also be that Gebr Resch took these clocks for the region of Vienna to an external manufacturer, so to speak, as an area representative. We do not know exactly, but I think it is conceivable that this advertising also could be understood that way.

But in any case: you have collected very good and interesting information. Congrats and thank´s for sharing!

albra

30. Albra

Albra Registered User

Oct 17, 2006

The "United States Horological Trademark Index" by Kurtis Meyers might give further clues: Is the trademark "Remember" recorded for Florence Kröber and in which year?

Who owns that index and can look up please?

albra

31. tarant

tarant Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Neurohorologist ;)
    Wroclaw
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

Resch family were already experienced traders in the second half of the century. Maybe they knew, that the best way is using good, independent sales representatives / importers. That's way they chose mr Pfeil in Vienna and mr Kroeber in NY.

This book covers a period of years 1870-1960. If this "cooperation" started earlier, may not be included. But this must be checked.

32. leeinv66

leeinv66 Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Mar 31, 2005
    Male
    Industry Specialist
    Launceston Tasmania
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

As a point of interest, I have seen a Vienna Regulator that had F. Kroeber stamped on the bottom of the movement, but it also had the Gebr Resch Remember 100000 trade mark on it as well. Kroeber was doing a lot more than just using unsigned Resch movement. He was stamping his name on anything he could get his hands on!

33. Albra

Albra Registered User

Oct 17, 2006

Peter, from the 1890s imported clocks in America also had to have the name of the American importer. Those were the rules.

albra

34. leeinv66

leeinv66 Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Mar 31, 2005
    Male
    Industry Specialist
    Launceston Tasmania
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

Yes, but most retailers of imported clocks satisfied this requirement by printing there name on the dial. Stamping your name on someone else's movement is another story.

35. Heli

Heli Registered User

Jan 5, 2012
    Warsaw
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

If this law is in force since 1890, then catalog of Kroeber from 1885 is a proof that he did it for other reasons than the applicable law

Mariusz

36. Albra

Albra Registered User

Oct 17, 2006

May be, Mariusz.

But it is also not excluded that Kroeber was involved financially in the company Gebr Resch.

Salomon Abeles, who had the exclusive distribution rights in Austria-Hungary from 1886-01-01, I suspect it very much. Because Abeles designated by the year 1890 as a clock manufacturer, although he was actually a wholesaler of clocks.

But now we are already very strong in the area of conjecture. However, would be the brand "Remember" registered in U.S. for Kröber, this assumption would gain in probability. Does anyone have the index of Meyers and can look up the brand "Remember"?

albra

37. Heli

Heli Registered User

Jan 5, 2012
    Warsaw
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

I think you're going in the wrong direction.
    At first : what was produced in a Resch factory?
    At the beginning we are thinking that they produced only weight clock .
    This proved to be untrue.

Resch produced about 280 000 movements.
    The Kroeber catalog is giving price of $ 25 in 1885.
    In my opinion the amount of profit from the products is 50% too small to maintain the 200 people in company.
    Of course, I used some averaging.
    Therefore, I believe that the factory produced something else.

Therefore Junghans could say that it produces 100 thousand watches a year.
    In practice, that may be only a parts to the one hundred thousand clocks.
    He could do this because the factory was ready for it.

As I wrote earlier - IMO factory in Ebensee at the beginning was producing only the parts. It is possible that from the beginning, they were not the only parts for weight clocks.

It involves a lot of changes. For example -distributors were selling only clocks not the entire production of the company.

When the market demand for high-quality watches produced by Resch declined, they closed a factory in Vienna (1883 ). Production in Ebensee (because of subcontracting) was able to remain at a high level. So data about production of 12 thousand units are not inconsistent with statistical calculations about six thousand pieces weight clock

Mariusz

38. Albra

Albra Registered User

Oct 17, 2006

Mariusz, very good thoughts! Thank you!

But we must not overestimate the ratios of the 1880s. Not the technical possibilities and not the degree of division of labor. Lenzkirch we know of many more workers significantly less movements in the year have been made ​​at about the same time as Gebr Resch. I therefore see no reason that Gebr Resch said to have made ​​things even more.

I want to especially point out the corporate form of the company Gebr Resch: By the documents of Piotr (Piotr thanks again!) we know that the company was an "Open Society" by Austrian law. Initially, only two shareholders are mentioned, in the 1870s then already 4 shareholders. And by the 1880s, I've no knowledge, but why should not Abeles or Kröber been another shareholder.

albra

39. Heli

Heli Registered User

Jan 5, 2012
    Warsaw
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

Albra
    A huge part of the production of clocks in the nineteenth century was based on co-operation.
    Lenzkirch produced a lot of the french mechanisms - not everything was made by his own.
    Since the mid-nineteenth century there was a clear direction: cheaper and more.

Assuming that Resch produced in Ebensee 6000 watches a year, daily production was ONLY 20 units.
    Factory in Vienna produced about 15 units a day, and did that with 80 people !

I don't see the direct connection beetwen the composition of the shareholders Gebr.Resch and the production process in their factories. Business is business.
    They were producing to make money, not to go down in history as charity company.

If you're comparing the Resch movements it would appear that the real Viennese Resch end up somewhere at the number 30xxx, and regulators are up to the level of several thousand.

This means that the production of real regulators was to c.a. 1865.
    Then he began to simplify and prepared for mass a production on a large scale.

Mariusz

40. Albra

Albra Registered User

Oct 17, 2006

The first objective of a company is to survive in the market. And in order to survive, it needs a product and the corresponding knowledge in the manufacture and also the sales opportunities. At Resch it was so obvious that the distribution had to be assigned to secure sales. And the granting of distribution rights of a successful product was usually also used to enter a shareholder and therefore money in the operation to support the development of the company.

We (I) don´t know the technological level of the company Gebr. Resch in the year 1875. Was it even more at the level of a manufactory (with clocks from cast parts) or was it already a clock factory, with clock parts have been punched.

Piotr, Mariusz a very important question: the gears of the early Resch clocks were already stamped or cast yet?

For comparison, the first clock in Germany with stamped gears is mentioned until 1861, before all clocks were manufactured with cast gears. But how were the conditions in Austria and especially at Gebr Resch?

albra

41. Albra

Albra Registered User

Oct 17, 2006

To make things a little less transparent: Both Gebr Resch called themselves "First Viennese clocks factory", as well as another operation in Vienna: Johann Wecera (see the entry in the "lexikon"
    Since Johann Wecera has participated in various commercial and world exhibitions with his clocks, his operation could be even older than the Resch Gebr. But we can not check today probably.

albra

42. tarant

tarant Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Neurohorologist ;)
    Wroclaw
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

I have no so early GR movements. It'll take a lot of time to check the question of the gears production technology.

Deutsche Gesellschaft fur Chronometrie published recently digital version of the Oesterreichisch - ungarische Uhrmacher Zeitung (1882 - 1913). This may be a very important source, useful in explaing some questions.
    Even the only posted page contains very interesting ad from Ebensee. From vienna regulators to luminescent alarm clocks...
    http://www.dg-chrono.info/images/stories/bibliothek/ouuz%20anzeigenseite.jpg

43. jmclaugh

jmclaugh Registered User

Jun 1, 2006
    Devon
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

An interesting advert which appears not to be dated but tells us Junghans were making alarm clocks in Ebensee after the takeover of Resch. I don't know for sure but afaik Resch did not make such clocks which suggests Junghans introduced them.

44. tarant

tarant Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Neurohorologist ;)
    Wroclaw
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
  45. Heli

Heli Registered User

Jan 5, 2012
    Warsaw
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

Albra

Your question is too general, you can not answer it directly.
    The mechanism is not only the gears - there are only just one thing. Reducing to the gear is a simplification.

The second - the changes in the production process takes place in stages.
    After several thousand goes the basic one. Practically not lowered the quality of the mechanism.
    Then he added another, more focused on increasing production.
    These, unfortunately, lowered the quality.

Thirdly - without destroying the parts it can be difficult to get to know the technology of their production.
    You need to know the structure of the material.

And the fourth - maybe the most important. My English is too poor to engage in discussions about technology. Even in Polish language we have problems (in our forum) with a clear agreement because the dictionaries give different ranges of technological processes.

You should be aware that after the second change we can't speak clearly about e.g. the Resch one weight movement.
    Resch made ​​the already varying quality.

At the present moment, you can distinguish about twenty types of mechanisms.

But trying to answer your question, we can do it differently.
    Tell which gear do you want to see - I'll try to take a picture and show you.

46. tarant

tarant Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Neurohorologist ;)
    Wroclaw
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #47 tarant, Aug 30, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2013

Volksresch or the last Bretluhr.
    I've seen seven Resch clocks in this form so far. The lowest SN was 44984, the highest - 201246. Then. this model was produced for about 20 years. Construction is simplified. The dial and the beat scale are from the lacquered cardboard (probably the oldest produced in Europe, many years before Junghans), only one glass.
    This could be the first model produced in the new factory in Ebensee. With the case easy to assemble by unskilled workers.
    Something was patented in this clock. Shape of the case ? Paper dial, beat scale (with unique R(etard) A(vant) marks ) ? And were ? Again "American path " maybe is present here. Mr Florence Kroeber patented in 70' a lot of case models. Other inventors - paper/cardboard dials. Is the American patent applied in this clock ?

IMG_6098 [1024x768].JPG IMG_6106 [1024x768].jpg IMG_6099 [1024x768].jpg IMG_6100 [1024x768].jpg IMG_6116 [1024x768].jpg IMG_6115 [1024x768].jpg IMG_6108 [1024x768].jpg IMG_6109 [1024x768].JPG

47. tarant

tarant Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Neurohorologist ;)
    Wroclaw
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

Some "news" about Resch family from Romania. Josef (Joseph) Resch , one of two (?) sons of Lorenz Resch senior established in 1837 jewelry company (independent or branch) in Bucharest - Josef Resch & Fii (or Fils) - Josef Resch and Sons. He became, like previously his father in Vienna, the court jeweler. In 1855 he built the Casa Resch (Resch House) at Calea Victoriei, one of the main streets in Bucharest. On centenary of the firm (1938) an article with the short family history was published in local jewelery magazine. The Resch family came to Vienna in 1803 from Ravensburg. Earlier the lived in Ulm. In the year 1629 Sigmund Resch was appointed nobleman by the Emperor Ferdinand II.

JosefResch.jpg post-6402-0-80661500-1379363922.jpg CasaResch.jpg Resch2.jpg Resch1.jpg post-6402-0-35415600-1379362326.jpg post-6402-0-95634000-1379362324.jpg post-6402-0-99664900-1379365694.jpg

Main source:
    http://timeclubromania.ro/forum/8-prezentari-ceasurimanufacturi/1278-ceasuri-in-bucuresti?start=18

48. Albra

Albra Registered User

Oct 17, 2006

Hello Piotr,

I congratulate you on your new results. They yield new insights into the Resch family.

We recognize that the family Resch was a very old Jewish merchant family that has come through trade with freshwater pearls to assets and prestige. And they relocated their trading area of southern Germany to Vienna.
    In the 1850s, tower clocks were then first offered (whether as a manufacturer or dealer, we do not know yet) and later Resch started the factory-like production of regulators. I assume that the Resch family has purchased for a clock manufacture in vienna.

We must assume that the Gebr Resch so in Austria were among the first clock manufacturers and thus have initiated the industrialization in Austria. Just like G. Becker in Silesia.

albra

49. Albra

Albra Registered User

Oct 17, 2006

Piotr, for your records, a map, as well as an overall view of the work in 1907. The operation in Ebensee was at this time already Junghans, Schramberg and was under the management of Erhard Faist.

Resch, Gebr. 1907.jpg Lageplan Uhrenfabrik Resch um 1907.jpg

Ebensee had 224 workers in 1910 and made about 100.000 clocks/movements per year.

albra