Post your French Figural Clocks Here

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by Bruce Alexander, Aug 15, 2019.

Tags:
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Bruce Alexander

Bruce Alexander Registered User
    Sponsor NAWCC Brass Member

Feb 22, 2010
    Male
    Retired, not tired
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    There’s a very interesting Thread containing many high-end French Clocks of all different types entitled “A Whole Lotta French!” in which it was observed that…

We really enjoy Figural Clocks and noticed that there was no Thread for posting French Figurals, so I thought I’d try to get one started here.

We don’t own anything near the higher end clocks pictured in Brian’s Thread but we do have a few Frenchies in our collection patiently waiting for some attention.

The Clock pictured below is my wife’s favorite. If anyone can provide more information on it, your help would be very much appreciated.

This is how an auction house listed the clock:

“Guirauden Victorian figural mantel clock, slate, gold highlights, black porcelain dial, bronzed spelter metal goddess on cart of wheat, late 19th c., 17 1/2" x 7 1/2" 21 3/4".

I don’t know if “Guirauden” was a Clock Maker, or some type of Jeweler/Retailer but “Nimes” is a fairly large, very old city in Southern France. It was an outpost of the Roman Empire.

We believe that the Statue is of Cerēs, the Roman Goddess of agriculture, grain crops and fertility.

I haven’t tried to scratch an inconspicuous area of the Statue to see if it is “Bronzed Spelter” as described by the Auction House, or if it is Bronze. The finish looks like bronze to me and the clock weighs in at just under 35 pounds.

The base appears to be made of black marble, or perhaps it is slate as the Condition Report originally stated. Again, I’m not certain.

The movement looks to be of heavy construction but there is no manufacturer’s mark. There is a serial number on the plate which matches the number stamped on the back of the pendulum.

The hour and single half-hour strike is on a cup bell. It uses a Count Wheel which would tend to suggest that the movement may have been made prior to 1880. I’ll have to look for other indicators once I get the movement out of the case.

I don’t really know very much about French Clocks. In order to do research it appears that you really need to speak French since most of the references I’ve seen in the NAWCC’s Library are not translated into English.

Again, if anyone can provide information beyond the Auction House’s Condition Report, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks for looking in,

Bruce

Front RWB.JPG Statue.JPG Head.JPG Dial.jpg Back.JPG Movement.JPG 504 pendulum.JPG Statue Left.JPG Wheat.JPG Clock Right.JPG