Post Your Farcot Clocks Here

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by Charlie, Jan 16, 2004.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. DHoltby

DHoltby Registered User

Jun 30, 2012
    Horologist
    Hampshire, England. U.K.
    Country Flag:
    Re: Another Farcot for Mr. Hubby

DSC01151.JPG DSC01155.JPG Thanks guys. John was right in that my files were too large so I figured out how to change the setting on my camera to take smaller images and success. There is a second Logo (rather squashed eagle like mark on arrows, which you are familiar with John). Thanks for all your help.

I'll be posting another clock on a new thread sometime next week that has an unidentified makers mark of O C either side in a three leafed clover & a star in the top leaf with France in a banner at the bottom..........then I had a break through, on the bottom of the circa early 1900's visabe escape Four glass mercurial pendulum clock was sratched the word Carry.........I looked in Loomes's 'Watch & Clock M of the World' and blow-me! The only Carry he has listed is an O. Carry of Paris 1912............apart form that I have absolutely nothing else on the net or books (I don't have Tardy). Can't wait to hear if someone out there knows his logo or his work.

2. John Hubby

John Hubby Principal Administrator
    Staff Member NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Life Member

Sep 7, 2000
    The Woodlands, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

DHoltby, thanks much for the photos, that always helps to confirm the basics and also to see anything that might be unusual or different. Your clock is a "typical" cupid swinger with alabaster marble case, actually very clean and nice condition for a clock that is 138 years old.

I'm not familiar with the marks on the other clock you will be posting but will look forward to seeing it on the MB.

3. Cookie 2006

Cookie 2006 Registered User

Oct 19, 2010
    Power Tool Engineer
    Gloucester
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Re: Vienna Regulator And Help With Makers Mark

As Promised Hear are the pics of the finished clock cleaned and polished

P1010686.jpg P1010687.jpg P1010688.jpg

4. John Hubby

Sep 7, 2000
    The Woodlands, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Re: Vienna Regulator And Help With Makers Mark

Cookie, thanks for posting the photos of your clock after restoration. It looks really good, congratulations on your work.

5. Don DeMarcus

Don DeMarcus Registered User

Aug 26, 2000
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #355 Don DeMarcus, Aug 7, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2012

John
    Someone has asked me about a Farcot serial number only because he found my phone number on the internet and he said he would send picture of it but for now he said it was a wall clock with a serial number of 7081 do you know what the dater would be? I do not have any more information about this clock for now.
    Don

6. John Hubby

Sep 7, 2000
    The Woodlands, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

Don, "IF" the serial number is 7081 the movement was made about 1872. Sure would like to see detailed photos (logos, serial number, full front, dial, etc.) to add to the database.

7. Don DeMarcus

Don DeMarcus Registered User

Aug 26, 2000
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

John
    As soon as I get that information I will pass it along to you.
    The serial number is 70813 I did not put all of the numbers down.

Sorry.
    don

8. John Hubby

Sep 7, 2000
    The Woodlands, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

Oops! That jumps the manufacturing date to 1887. Will look forward to seeing the photos and other info when you get it.

9. Kiesewetter

Kiesewetter Registered User
    NAWCC Brass Member

Nov 22, 2002
    Chemist, National Institutes of Health
    Maryland
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

I have found another Farcot clock. Any estimate of its age. DSC_0427.jpg DSC_0364 (2) lower resolution.jpg DSC_0367 (2) lower resolution.jpg

10. John Hubby

Sep 7, 2000
    The Woodlands, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

Thanks very much for posting the photos of your clock and your inquiry. This one is early, about 1870 based on the serial number. This movement was used on many Farcot clocks in the early production years.

Could you advise the material of the case? It appears to be either bronze or bronze-finish spelter. Also, a close-up photo of the dial would be appreciated.

11. Kiesewetter

Kiesewetter Registered User
    NAWCC Brass Member

Nov 22, 2002
    Chemist, National Institutes of Health
    Maryland
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #361 Kiesewetter, Sep 28, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2012

Some one previously attached a typed label that says French Clock about 1840 with winding instructions (every 7 days) including direction to wind and where the winding arbor is located.

Case is a white metal, so probably spelter. Unfortunately, the current finish seems to be a paint or very dark shellac. I believe this is the case because there is a bead of material at the marble base and inside the back cover edge.

Attached is the best close up of the dial that I can get (crop from original high resolution photo. Clock has been returned to customer.

cropped dial.jpg

12. mickthefish

mickthefish Registered User

Jun 5, 2012
    retired
    Oxford, England
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Yet another Farcot for the John Hubby database

Hi there, here is a Farcot I picked up at auction a couple of weeks back, at that time it was in two pieces, the base had come away from the rest of the clock. I have completely dismantled it and cleaned it and am quite pleased with the finished article.

The serial number is 42268. John, is this type of movement referred to as a 'Tic tac' ?

Attached Files:

13. John Hubby

Sep 7, 2000
    The Woodlands, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Re: Yet another Farcot for the John Hubby database

Mick, thanks for posting the photos and info for your clock. Looks quite good, I've repaired several similar clocks where the joints had come apart. These were originally put together with Plaster of Paris, it's easy to use so that's what I put them back together with.

The serial number shows this one was made in 1880, nice that it has the original Farcot label. The escapement is actually a Brocot with fixed pendulum, but they are sometimes referred to as tic-tac because of the short bob pendulum fixed to the anchor arbor. A true tic-tac only spans a couple of teeth, these span the usual number you see on open escapement movements such as used by Ansonia, many French makers, etc.

14. mickthefish

mickthefish Registered User

Jun 5, 2012
    retired
    Oxford, England
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

thanks for the reply, cheers John.

15. Jim Duncan

Jim Duncan Registered User
    NAWCC Member

May 31, 2011
    Central Coast of California
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #365 Jim Duncan, Feb 15, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 15, 2013

John & Others - .

Earlier this week there was a large repoussee Farcot clock out of the UK sold on ebay. Works were 44226. Back in January there was an almost identical clock sold out of the US on ebay but the seller did not list the works no. or show the back plate in a photo. You can still get a look at it in "completed listings" or item no. 251211029453.

Jim

16. Zu-Astarti

Zu-Astarti Registered User

Feb 24, 2012
    Anytown USA
    Country Flag:

Mr. Hubby: Would you be able to date this Farcot tic tac for me? It's in intensive care right now, but I have hopes for it. Serial number 28806. Thanks...
    tictac_01.jpg tictac_03.jpg tictac_06.jpg tictac_14.jpg

17. John Hubby

Sep 7, 2000
    The Woodlands, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

Oren, thanks for your inquiry and posting the photos of your clock. As you say, it definitely needs intensive care but these boulle-case clocks do come back very well from my personal experience. Be sure to post photos of the "After" condition.

The serial number shows the clock was made near the end of 1877, at a time the boulle case designs were quite popular.

18. Zu-Astarti

Zu-Astarti Registered User

Feb 24, 2012
    Anytown USA
    Country Flag:

Thanks!

19. John Hubby

Sep 7, 2000
    The Woodlands, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

Jim, thanks for posting the info on these two clocks. The amazing thing to me is that they are identical in nearly every respect, the only differences I've noted are the slightly different hands and that the first clock strikes on a bell and the second on a coil gong. Even though for the second clock one can only see a partial serial number, I believe both were made in the same year of 1881 being so closely "identical".

I have permission from the seller of the first clock so am posting here a couple of views.

44226 Front.jpg 44226 Mvmt Front.jpg 44226 Dial-Hands.jpg If you will check the completed eBay listing for the second clock you will see they are virtually identical.

20. David B Pendley

David B Pendley Registered User
    NAWCC Business

Aug 25, 2000
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

Hi There! I had a Farcot come in thought I'd share photos and see if anyone can help date the clock. It's an alabaster case with time only skeleton movement. Serial # is 11866. Thanks. Farcot 1.jpg Farcot 2.jpg Farcot 3.jpg Farcot 4.jpg

21. John Hubby

Sep 7, 2000
    The Woodlands, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

David, thanks very much for posting the photos.

This one is early, made in 1873 based on the movement serial number. The movement is what I would call one of Farcot's "workhorses" as it is found in his clocks as early as 1862 and was used continuously to as late as 1885, with essentially no changes in design, escapement, pendulum configuration, etc.

The case appears to be in exceptional condition considering the soft alabaster material and its age. Several someones have taken very good care of it over the years.

I do have three questions:

> Is there a glass over the dial?

> What is the dial diameter?

> Can you tell whether the hands are a good original fit or perhaps later additions? Normally these clocks had either moonpoise style or fleur-de-lis style hands during the period the clock was made.

22. David B Pendley

David B Pendley Registered User
    NAWCC Business

Aug 25, 2000
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

Thanks John for reply and hopefully here are answers to your questions. There is a glass that snaps on both front and rear. The dial diameter is 110mm with 60 mm inside diameter. The hands do look like replacement. There is extra solder on minute hand for a "bushing"? Hope the photos help. Farcot dial 1.jpg Farcot dial 2.jpg Farcot hands1.jpg Farcot hands 2.jpg

23. John Hubby

Sep 7, 2000
    The Woodlands, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

David, thanks much for the additional info and photos. The "snap-on" glazed bezels were common for many of the earlier Farcot clocks, hinged bezels appear to have mostly come later from about 1880 onward. Many of these snap-on bezels haven't survived, I've observed quite a number of earlier clocks where you can see the marks that original bezels would have made but because of the press fit but they are long gone.

After seeing the close-ups of the hands I would say they are replacements.

24. N_Pire

N_Pire New Member

Apr 16, 2013

Hi all,
    I'm sorry if I do not follow new rules to perfection.
    This is my Farcot, inherited from my father, bought in 1954, in Madrid, Spain antiquarian. Working from then until now.
    Some details that I should know about?.
    Years ago suffered a fall from the arms of the person who was cleaning.
    Photographic images before and after.
    Thanks and congratulations for the time and effort devoted to these small / large artworks.
    Greetings from Spain, and our hearts are with the victims of the attack in Boston. 20130415_191543.jpg 20130415_191605.jpg 20130415_191628.jpg 20130415_191648.jpg 20130415_191655.jpg 2013-04-15_193134.jpg 2013-04-15_194316.jpg Daddy´s mantel Clock.jpg

25. soaringjoy

soaringjoy Registered User

Feb 12, 2009
    Germany, North Rhine-Westphalia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

Welcome to the Message Board, N-Pire and thanks for showing your Farcot clock.
    A shame it fell down.
    Perhaps, the movement is the same skeleton type as shown above in David's post #377 ?

26. John Hubby

Sep 7, 2000
    The Woodlands, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

N_Pire, welcome to the NAWCC Message Board and thanks for posting your inquiry and the photos of your clock. For info, based on the serial number this was one of the last clocks made by Eugéne Farcot in 1890. The cast brass stand is rather unusual but quite appropriate for this type clock. Many were also mounted on stands or pedestals or even suspended from chains as a wall clock.

The case damage is unfortunate, however there are persons here in the US who restore this kind of breakage to perfection, such that the case would be indistinguishable from when it was new. Are you located in Spain? If so I would think there are artisans there who also could do the restoration if you wish to have that done.

The movement of your clock may have been made by a third party such as Marti or Japy, if you could post a photo of the complete back plate it will be easy to see, as there will be a stamped logo for whoever made the movement on the lower center of the back plate.

The label authenticates this clock to have been finished by Farcot, it is interesting that the identical label was used for many years without change; the earliest I have documented to date was on a clock made in the year 1870.

27. gslaff

gslaff Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 20, 2012
    Math Teacher
    Pequannock, NJ, USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Help Identifying French Clockmaker

Does anyone know what clockmaker used this trademark?

Thanks,

Gregg

Attached Files:

28. harold bain

harold bain Registered User
    NAWCC Member Deceased

Nov 4, 2002
    Male
    deceased
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Re: Help Identifying French Clockmaker

Gregg, your clock was made by Eugene Farcot. See this thread for information about this unique clockmaker:
    https://mb.nawcc.org/showthread.php?20858-Post-Your-Farcot-Clocks-Here
    I can't quite make out the serial number. John hubby has compiled a data base for dating these, and could give you a good idea of when it was made. Also if you could post a few pictures of the complete clock, I'm sure John would be very interested.

29. jmclaugh

jmclaugh Registered User

Jun 1, 2006
    Devon
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

An interesting type of anchor escapement which I understand Farcot patented in 1862. One example I've seen with a skeletonised dial has a cherub sitting on a swing acting as the pendulum which swings from front to back as opposed to side to side.

30. gslaff

gslaff Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 20, 2012
    Math Teacher
    Pequannock, NJ, USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

Here are a couple pictures of the clock.
    Pretty cool looking

Gregg View attachment 179866 IMG_5065.JPG

31. gslaff

gslaff Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 20, 2012
    Math Teacher
    Pequannock, NJ, USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

Harold,
    The serial number is 13421. I also posted a couple of pictures.
    Thanks again,
    Gregg

32. soaringjoy

Feb 12, 2009
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

I'm merging this now with our standing FARCOT thread, in order to keep the infos together.

33. John Hubby

Sep 7, 2000
    The Woodlands, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

Gregg, thanks for posting the photos of your Farcot clock. Based on the serial number, it was made at the beginning of 1874. As already mentioned Eugene Farcot patented the escapement on your clock in 1862 and commercialized it from that time forward until he ceased clock manufacture in 1890. Your clock is a good example of the "swinging cupid" style that has been documented from the earliest production.

34. AVN

AVN Registered User

Apr 23, 2012
    Montreal
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Looking for help to identify clockmaker trademark

Looking for guidance to help identify the attached clockmaker trademark on the movement, please zoom-in to get a better view. The movement also shows the numbers 73245, which I assume is the serial number. The clock movement looks French, is ''time only'' and has a small marble size brass pendulum. The key shows ''Made in England'', but I guess could have been a replacement. The clock case has Asian style inlays. Many Thanks.

Attached Files:

35. Walt Wallgren

Walt Wallgren Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 16, 2012
    Bay Area, California
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Re: Looking for help to identify clockmaker trademark

Hi AVN,

According to Mikrolisk, it from Eugene Farcot, Paris and the TM was used beginning about 1870. I'm sure others will add more for you but this is a start.

Walt

36. AVN

AVN Registered User

Apr 23, 2012
    Montreal
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

Walt, many thanks for pointing me in the right direction, I can now do some more research. If anyone has additional input, please post here.

37. Talyinka

Talyinka Registered User

May 14, 2011
    England
    Country Flag:
  38. AVN

AVN Registered User

Apr 23, 2012
    Montreal
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

Talyinka, thanks for the great article on Farcot. If anyone has any info on the clock case, would be much appreciated.

39. soaringjoy

Feb 12, 2009
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
  40. AVN

AVN Registered User

Apr 23, 2012
    Montreal
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

soaringjoy, thanks for the link. I found lots more info and will re-post.

41. emeraldisle

emeraldisle Registered User

Aug 16, 2013
    french boulle style mantle clock

Just purchased 1890 (I think) french clock. The front has a glass case and you can see all the gears on the movement. At the bottom by the pendulum it looks like an outstretched eagle looking to its left. Any info you may know about this clock?

42. John Hubby

Sep 7, 2000
    The Woodlands, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Re: french boulle style mantle clock

Welcome to the NAWCC Message Board and thanks for posting your inquiry. Although your description does give some idea of what you have, it will be necessary for you to post detailed photos for us to be able to identify and date your clock. The French clocks are somewhat difficult to date but if there are any marks on the movement that can help to provide a maker's name and when the clock was made.

Please include a full front, sides, and back; a dial closeup; the back of the movement showing any stamps or logos or numbers (you may need to remove a bell if it has one) and of course the pendulum. We will look forward to seeing your clock.

43. emeraldisle

Aug 16, 2013

Hi John!
    Thanks for such a prompt response. I uploaded some pics to the gallery. They aren't so great but maybe they can help?

44. emeraldisle

Aug 16, 2013
    #394 emeraldisle, Aug 16, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 18, 2013

13986 Front.jpg 13986 Dial Center.jpg 13986 Mvmt Logo 1.jpg 13986 Mvmt Back.jpg 13986 Fot Label.jpg

Front, Dial Center, Horlogerie Logo, Movement Back, Label

45. John Hubby

Sep 7, 2000
    The Woodlands, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #395 John Hubby, Aug 17, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2013

Thanks for posting the photos. I believe you have a clock made by Eugéne Farcot of Paris. The label you have pictured is definitely Farcot, the bottom line reads (I think) Fot BREVETE S.G.D.G. which translated is "Farcot Patent without government guarantee". There may be a logo or stamp on the back of the movement but there are too many shadows to tell for sure. There does appear to be a serial number at the bottom of the plate that covers the two mainspring barrels, please check that and if you can get the complete number I will be able to give you an accurate manufacturing date.

Also, please let us know exactly what is stamped into the front of the movement that you can see through the dial opening. Looks like "HORLOGERIE ? ? ? S.G.D.G." The missing letters behind the pendulum shaft will tell a good part of the story, especially if they are "FOT", but looks like it could be "BTE" for Brevete.

It looks like you posted some duplicate photos of the front of the clock, I can remove those if it's OK with you.

46. Talyinka

Talyinka Registered User

May 14, 2011
    England
    Country Flag:

Can you also turn them 90 degrees clockwise so that I can get my monitor back on its foot...? ;-)

Very nice clock, by the way.

47. emeraldisle

Aug 16, 2013

Good morning John!
    You have been an amazing wealth of information and I thank you. I have never bought an antique clock and its a gift for a friend so I would love to be able to provide as much background as possible.

The serial number is 13986. The mark above that writing is what looks like an eagle with a lightening bolt? Like you I am having a tough time with the letters in that string. Need a magnifying glass. https://mb.nawcc.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=189607 I know you can't appraise but any idea of a range on what I should have paid for this?

Merci!!

48. emeraldisle

Aug 16, 2013
    #398 emeraldisle, Aug 17, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 18, 2013

13986 Mvmt Logo 2.jpg

49. jmclaugh

jmclaugh Registered User

Jun 1, 2006
    Devon
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

Without being the right way up the pics are quite hard to make anything out but I'm not completely convinced it is what it appears to be.

50. John Hubby

Sep 7, 2000
    The Woodlands, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #400 John Hubby, Aug 18, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2013

Thanks for the additional photos. The eagle holding lightning bolts is a registered trademark of Eugéne Farcot, so that makes the identification positive and coincides with the label on the back. You mentioned in your first post there was an outstretched eagle "at the bottom near the pendulum". Is this the same one?

The serial number 13986 shows the clock was made in 1874. I have now documented four of these Neuchatel style Boulle finish Farcot clocks made from the 1860's to the 1880's so they were evidently in regular production. Farcot also made other styles with Boulle finish.

The glass you mention in the dial bezel was not unusual in the 1860's to early 1880's for Farcot clocks, the glass being in a press-fit bezel with no hinges. If you could confirm this it will be appreciated.