Post your Cuckoo clocks here.

Billy

Dec 14, 2004
Western NY
Country
Region
Heres a basket case GK (KUNER?) I picked up for $5 at a yard sale. It was missing lower left side carving, upper right side carving ,topper, hands, weights, and pendulum. I cut and re-carved the new pieces. Didn't turn out to bad.
Billy
Clock Pics 017 (Small).jpg

The Treasured Clock

NAWCC Member
Jan 14, 2008
Lebanon, Ohio
Country
Region
Made in Furtwangen,
Nice cuckoo clocks that you have. I bet that one of them is the largest shelf cuckoo clock. They do have a handsome motifs. One question though, is this a cuckoo clock theme month? As I have posted before, I have been facsinated with since childhood. I guess this thread has answered that question.
Jonathan Lee Jones

jeules0

May 26, 2009
Kent, UK
Country
Region
I have posted both of these with detailed pics in Latest Acquisitions but here they are up and running. The springer is a double fusee with the BEHA impressed stamp to the top lintel of the wooden cage. Retailer is Camerer Cuss. Pediment is one I had, and I'm looking for a more appropriate one. Also, the minute hand needs a bone replacement.

The Gothic weight-driven one also has a wooden cage movement. Again, the minute hand is incorrect. Original 'dumpy' pine-cone weights. I believe this is also a BEHA.

Original bone numerals and hour hands on both clocks.

Bought at the same antiques market for £180 (fusee) and £140, from different sellers.

Attachments

jeules0

May 26, 2009
Kent, UK
Country
Region
Been a while since I posted anything, but just bought this twin fusee cuckoo clock here in the UK at an antiques market.

I believe it is a Beha no. 509 as the case matches exactly the one photographed in Ortenburger's 'Black Forest Clocks' book p117. Perhaps one of you BF experts can confirm this for me.

It was all complete but needed a few repairs to breaks in the shield and pediment.

It is working fine, but I'm sure that pendulum isn't right!!

Attachments

zepernick

Deceased
Aug 8, 2004
Country
Region
Jeules --

The 509 catalogue illustration shows, as one might expect, a slightly different case. I'll attach an illustration from the Schneider & Schneider article on Beha clocks at the 1876 (Philadelphia) and 1893 (Chicago) Exhibitions, from the April 1988 NAWCC Bulletin article. The somewhat smudged photo appears to show one like yours.

The same illustration, please note, appeared in an 1903 Beha catalogue. At that time 509 -- described as "Standgehäuse, klein Reblaub" -- came in a 50-hour ("50 Stund gehend") and an 8-day ("8 Tag gehend") version. A footnote noted :) that all of the 'koos with 8-day movements had fusees and gut. The "Consol" for 509 was extra.

While we're here, and indeed you there, will also attach a photo of the Camerer Kuss & Cie. London "storeroom" from about 1900. Where, that is, your Beha wallclock probably rested for a bit. The photo is from the 1994 exhibition catalogue, Kuckucksuhren von Joh. B. Beha & Söhne aus Eisenbach published by the Deutsches Uhrenmuseum, Furtwangen.

Regards
Zepernick

Attachments

jeules0

May 26, 2009
Kent, UK
Country
Region
Jeules --

The 509 catalogue illustration shows, as one might expect, a slightly different case. I'll attach an illustration from the Schneider & Schneider article on Beha clocks at the 1876 (Philadelphia) and 1893 (Chicago) Exhibitions, from the April 1988 NAWCC Bulletin article. The somewhat smudged photo appears to show one like yours.

The same illustration, please note, appeared in an 1903 Beha catalogue. At that time 509 -- described as "Standgehäuse, klein Reblaub" -- came in a 50-hour ("50 Stund gehend") and an 8-day ("8 Tag gehend") version. A footnote noted :) that all of the 'koos with 8-day movements had fusees and gut. The "Consol" for 509 was extra.

While we're here, and indeed you there, will also attach a photo of the Camerer Kuss & Cie. London "storeroom" from about 1900. Where, that is, your Beha wallclock probably rested for a bit. The photo is from the 1994 exhibition catalogue, Kuckucksuhren von Joh. B. Beha & Söhne aus Eisenbach published by the Deutsches Uhrenmuseum, Furtwangen.

Regards
Zepernick
Zep, many thanks for taking the trouble to post this info-much appreciated.

Looking inside the case, I have noticed the number 165 which is not illustrated in the catalogue copy that I have.

Regards, Chris

ticktock19852004

Apr 5, 2007
Hello!

I have 100+ cuckoo clocks. I'll post pictures of some of them. Enjoy!

1. Cuckoo quail clock, vintage cuckoo clock, T/S cuckoo style wood plate movement clock.
2. Gothic cuckoo clock, railroad cuckoo clock, 2 horn trumpeter, large cuckoo quail clock.
3. two shelf cuckoo clocks
4. A few vintage cuckoo clocks.
5. An 8 day cuckoo and a musical animated cuckoo clock.
6. This is a corner of vintage and modern cuckoo clocks.
7. This is a fantastic Beha musical cuckoo clock that I am repairing for a customer.
8. Here is a mid-sized railroad cuckoo. I picked this one up for $25.00. I will be replacing missing carvings and overhauling the movement this summer.

Thanks!

Neal

Attachments

Last edited:

Richard T.

Deceased
Deceased
Apr 7, 2005
Country
Region
A few more..........The 4th from the right, the top is being repaired. I "bumped" the cuckoo and loosened an old repair.

Best,

Richard T.

Attachments

The Treasured Clock

NAWCC Member
Jan 14, 2008
Lebanon, Ohio
Country
Region
Hi Guys,
Have you seen the December 2010 issue of the Watch and Clock bulletin? Well, I have written and submitted an article for "My First one" section. Along with that article is a picture of that cuckoo clock I have submitted with the article. Look at that picture and read the article and tell me what you think.
Jonathan lee Jones

The Treasured Clock

NAWCC Member
Jan 14, 2008
Lebanon, Ohio
Country
Region
Hi Guys,
I have added another cuckoo clock clock to my collection. I do not know for sure if l managed upload both of these photos successfully, and if I did I hope you enjoy viewing them.
Jonathan Lee Jones IMG_20161112_215231.jpg IMG_20161112_215014.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VinSer
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller