Post Your Comtoise (Morbier/Morez) Clocks Here

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by Richard T., Jan 28, 2010.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. peterc6

peterc6 Registered User

Feb 18, 2010
    retired
    Fairhope, Al USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    My personal email is: peterc6@bellsouth.net If you have any further information for me, I wont disclose any discreet sources.

Thank You!

Peter

2. Jeremy Woodoff

Jeremy Woodoff Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 30, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Mike,

Your clock has one of the earlier style of pressed-brass fronts. Perhaps 1860s or 1870s. I would guess it also has a verge and crown wheel escapement.

3. Mike306p/Ansoniaman

Mike306p/Ansoniaman Registered User

Jan 12, 2001
    Recently retired Police Officer 40 years
    Colorado Springs, CO.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #53 Mike306p/Ansoniaman, Mar 8, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2010
    Yes Thanks Jeremy, it is a crown wheel . Just got it today and have yet to have the guy find the weights and the pendulum. Mike

A little history on my new acquisition 03-08-2010. My friends family was in France in 1959 and his family was given the clock by a French family when they came back to the states in 1959. It has been sitting in his parents' garage since 1959 -60 era. He says he has the rest so I am waiting for his phone call. Mike
    The clock has written in fancy script, Hettich on the dial below the 12 and Reims above the 6.:Party:

4. Don DeMarcus

Don DeMarcus Registered User

Aug 26, 2000
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

Mike
    What else did you find today?

Knowing you this is not all.

5. laprade

laprade Registered User

Sep 10, 2008
    writer, radio producer, old building-materials adv
    Irish, but live in Laprade, 16390, France, (70 mil
    Country Flag:
    Mike, thanks for your email. What is the dial size of your clock?

6. Mike306p/Ansoniaman

Jan 12, 2001
    Colorado Springs, CO.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Stephen it is quite small at 8 3/4 maybe 9 inches across but part of it is under the brass faceplate. Mike

7. peterc6

peterc6 Registered User

Feb 18, 2010
    retired
    Fairhope, Al USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Someone in the Society named Stephen has narrowed the clock down to definitely 18th century and done in the Boulle style. All the inlay sockets were hand carved. That's all I know for now! Peter

8. Oled

Oled Registered User

Dec 8, 2009
    Male
    Moscow, Russia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi Peter,

Any info from Bernd Deckert?

BR, Oleg

9. Mike306p/Ansoniaman

Jan 12, 2001
    Colorado Springs, CO.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Yes I did obtain more clock stuff Don. But,I can not post just yet . More to come. Mike

10. Mike306p/Ansoniaman

Jan 12, 2001
    Colorado Springs, CO.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #60 Mike306p/Ansoniaman, Mar 14, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2010

Again I will clean this unit up and post later.

11. Don DeMarcus

Aug 26, 2000
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Mike
    Is this the clock that you are working on?

Did you find the case and other missing parts yet?

attachment.jpg

12. Mike306p/Ansoniaman

Jan 12, 2001
    Colorado Springs, CO.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Well here are some more pieces to the PUZZLE. Mike

Notice the door is a different color. I cleaned it and did not use the oil on it so you all could see the color difference . I have since covered it with the oil and will continue to improve on this . Mike

Attached Files:

13. Don DeMarcus

Aug 26, 2000
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    How many tall case clocks do you have?

14. peterc6

peterc6 Registered User

Feb 18, 2010
    retired
    Fairhope, Al USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Nothing! I wrote twice. How are you? I am convinced the case was Louis IV from about 1750 by Boulle and the movement was a Morbier form about 1850. By the way, the clock keeps excellent time. Thanks for corresponding! Peter

15. danljr_e1f471

danljr_e1f471 New Member

Jan 13, 2010
    Some information please!
    On the face are the words MOTTAY at the top, and below, A St Georges

The letters and date LP 1881 are on the face surround and on the pendulum.

Thank you.

Attached Files:

16. Richard T.

Richard T. Deceased
    Deceased

Apr 7, 2005
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I am certainly not an expert on Comtoise clocks but do know a few things.

The name on the top part of the dial could be a person, a town or almost anything, with the second being a location. Others will probably have more on this.

The L.P. 1881 is Leon Paget, and the 1881 is the year. The Paget family and in particular Leon produced large numbers of dial surrounds and pendulums. From June 1877 to June 1878 Leon Paget used 6,570 kilos of brass for production of clock ornaments. [Ref: Comtoise Clocks The Morbier and The Morez, by Maitzner & Moreau].

Best,

Richard T.

17. peterc6

peterc6 Registered User

Feb 18, 2010
    retired
    Fairhope, Al USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    How are you doing? I just found out I have Prostate Cancer - very early stage - but nothing to fool with. I'm doing the right things. I appreciate your help with my clock! Peter
    -> posts merged by system <-
    Very nice looking clock! Peter

18. danljr_e1f471

danljr_e1f471 New Member

Jan 13, 2010
    Richard,
    Thank you so much for your information. I love knowing the history of my clocks.

Dan

19. laprade

laprade Registered User

Sep 10, 2008
    Country Flag:
    danljr,

the top word is the seller and St Georges is a bit of a problem, there are 79 of them in France! There is even an association of st Georges. (google) There is one near me: St Georges de Didonne, but if the clock was from such a place with extra wording, it would show it. But that leaves quite a few St Georges, plain and simple!

I must have a look at mine and see if the bras work has any signs of a maker.

20. peterc6

peterc6 Registered User

Feb 18, 2010
    retired
    Fairhope, Al USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I found the following link for anyone interested. I have a Louis IV Boulle 1740 or so with a Morbier replacement movement about 1850. This is a close ro my clock as I have found.

http://www.clockguy.com/SiteRelated/SiteReferencePages/CharlesAndreBoulleHistory.html

Attached Files:

21. antiekeradio

antiekeradio Registered User

Mar 1, 2010
    Netherlands
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The movement you have in the boulle longcase clock is certainly not a run of the mill type of movement, as it does not seem to have the corner posts all other Morbier clocks I know do have. Also, the pinwheel escapement is quite uncommon, but less so than the missing corner posts.

The weird thing about the combination Boulle casework - Morbier movement is that the 'class' of these things is quite different. It would be similar (in matters of style) of having a sleek Cadillac fitted with a Detroit Diesel 'pig iron' engine.

The usual movements for boulle clocks are high-quality brass movements (larger versions of those small French drum movements)

The usual cases for Morbier movements is a sturdy but plain wooden longcase. Not too much fancy work. The most flashy cases I ever saw with a morbier movement in it was gesso'ed and partially gilt (with gold leaf) Boulle technique is case design on a whole different level...

Please note that all of the above does not mean I think your clock is not original. It is merely an expression of my amazement at the combination of apparently contrasting parts, especially since it seems to be completely original.

@Laprade, you have got one very special month-going clock there. Pendulum behind the weights, sunburst top piece, quite old... educated guess 1795-1805 ? Please don't over-restore it :)

22. peterc6

peterc6 Registered User

Feb 18, 2010
    retired
    Fairhope, Al USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks for the reply. I will not have the clock restored except to keep the movement in tip top shape. I will be delighted to find more information as to this clocks origins.

Peter

23. peterc6

peterc6 Registered User

Feb 18, 2010
    retired
    Fairhope, Al USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Actually the Pendulum is in FRONT of the weights and represents Mestopholes -a Faustian hero I know. A strange character on a Louis IV case.

24. Oled

Oled Registered User

Dec 8, 2009
    Male
    Moscow, Russia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

Attached Files:

25. peterc6

peterc6 Registered User

Feb 18, 2010
    retired
    Fairhope, Al USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hello Oleg!

WOW! The two clocks are most similar. The dutch clock looks newer or/and in much better condition! I will pursue the Dutch dealer and see if I can find out more. If I do I'll post it.

I am well - anticipation radiation treatments in about a month. So far the hormone treatments have had no ill effects.

How are you?

Thank you very much for the post. The two clocks are very similar.

Peter

26. peterc6

peterc6 Registered User

Feb 18, 2010
    retired
    Fairhope, Al USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I think the entire unit must be a reproduction. It looks pretty nice though.

Peter Cunningham
    Fairhope, AL

Hello,

The clock's mecanism was made in the years 1970. (FHS Germany)
    The clock itself is of italian origin.

Have a nice evening.

Regards,

Peter

----- Original Message -----
    To: Empire
    Sent: Tuesday, May 11, 2010 6:57 PM
    Subject: Reactie op je Kapaza! zoekertje Rode boulle staande klok met prachtige inleg

:: Reactie op je Kapaza! zoekertje Rode boulle staande klok met prachtige inleg Beste Empire,

Je hebt zojuist een reactie gehad op je Kapaza! zoekertje 'Rode boulle staande klok met prachtige inleg'.
    Vlaams
    Dit zijn de gegevens die zijn ingevuld:

Naam » Peter Cunningham E-mailadres » peterc6@bellsouth.net Reactie » I own a Similar clock. Do You Have Any Particulars of the clock suche as the works, dates, etc. Any information made Where Will be very helpful. Sincerely Peter Cunningham Fairhope, AL
    Wij verzoeken je vriendelijk om zo spoedig mogelijk te reageren naar Peter Cunningham, druk op 'beantwoorden' of 'reply' en stuur je reactie naar peterc6@bellsouth.net.

Mocht deze reactie tot een transactie leiden, dan kun je in je Kapaza! Account een waardering uitspreken over Peter Cunningham. Je kunt daar ook het zoekertje wijzigen of verwijderen.

Tip: Je zoekertje staat nu op pagina 33 in de subrubriek Antiek - Klokken. Je kunt je zoekertje bovenaan pagina 1 plaatsen, bel hiervoor 0905-41600 en toets zoekertjesnummer 26283191#.

Tip: Laat jouw zoekertje extra opvallen door het zoekertje in de kijker te plaatsen en/of door er een Topzoekertje van te maken. Het zoekertje wordt dan tot 20 keer beter bekeken!
    » Klik hier om het zoekertje extra op te laten vallen.

Met vriendelijke groet,

http://images.kapaza.com/custom/logomail.gif

27. peterc6

peterc6 Registered User

Feb 18, 2010
    retired
    Fairhope, Al USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    v\:* { BEHAVIOR: url(#default#VML) } o\:* { BEHAVIOR: url(#default#VML) } w\:* { BEHAVIOR: url(#default#VML) } .shape { BEHAVIOR: url(#default#VML) } st1\:*{behavior:url(#default#ieooui) } As suspected. I invited this fellow Peter to join us. He is a very pleasant character! P

Hello Peter.

My clock is a reproduction.
    I'm selling it because I want to look for an ancient one.

I'm glad you're keeping your own.
    It's a unique piece, and very hard to find.

Regards,

Peter

PS : I'm also a bit surprised to receive a reaction from the USA.
    To: 'P.'
    Sent: Tuesday, May 11, 2010 7:58 PM
    Subject: RE: Reactie op je Kapaza! zoekertje Rode boulle staande klok met prachtige inleg

Thank You Peter.

Believe me it is not for sale. I am 68 years old and my parents bought it at an Auction 19 1941 in Beverly, Massachusetts. It supposedly stood in President Taft’s summer home there in 1915. I’m not sure about that. It has been part of my life my entire life!

The movement has just been repaired by a local clockmaker and it keeps very good time. Depending on temperature it loses about one minute per week. Not bad for something that old.

The similar clock on your action site looks like it is new. Is it a reproduction? I got the clue from the age of the movement.

Thanks for the information!

Peter Cunningham
    Fairhope, AL
    USA

Sent: Tuesday, May 11, 2010 12:45 PM
    To: peter
    Subject: Re: Reactie op je Kapaza! zoekertje Rode boulle staande klok met prachtige inleg

Hello Peter,

If I had yours, I wouldn't sell it.

Such antique clocks are hard to find.

I'm a collector, but I only have two antique ones. (2nd period, around 1850)

I've just visited an auction in Antwerp.

There was a late 19th century boulle wall clock for sale.

It went over 1800 Eur, auction costs not included.

Regards,

Peter

To: 'P.'

Sent: Tuesday, May 11, 2010 7:25 PM

Subject: RE: Reactie op je Kapaza! zoekertje Rode boulle staande klok met prachtige inleg

Thank You Peter

Attached is a picture of mine. The case was made in 1740 or so and the original movement was replaced with a Morbier in 1850. Mine is definitely French.. They are very similar don’t you think?

Thank You

Peter

Sent: Tuesday, May 11, 2010 12:18 PM
    To: Peter Cunningham
    Subject: Re: Reactie op je Kapaza! zoekertje Rode boulle staande klok met prachtige inleg

Hello,

The clock's mecanism was made in the years 1970. (FHS Germany)

The clock itself is of italian origin.

Have a nice evening.

Regards,

28. antiekeradio

antiekeradio Registered User

Mar 1, 2010
    Netherlands
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Sorry Peter, I have been confusing you. The last line of my message was directed towards another user (Laprade) who showed a magnificent early type month-going clock, with pendulum behind the weights and a sunburst dial top. I did it like this because I knew the system would merge those messages anyway if I would put them in 2 separate postings :rolleyes:

29. peterc6

peterc6 Registered User

Feb 18, 2010
    retired
    Fairhope, Al USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Nadda!

30. Spaceman Spiff

Spaceman Spiff Registered User

Jun 19, 2006
    Male
    Semi-retired - with a degree in Creative Writing
    St. Petersburg, Florida
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Comtoise: It's a repeater! (Comtoise: It's a repeater!)

:p
    Hi, all.

I've finally got most of the clocks situated from my auction haul a week and a half ago, and am now posting a few detailed photos of the tall-case clock that several of you noticed immediately was a Comtoise. Not being familiar with Comtoise clocks other than having seen an occasional Morbier in an antique store, I didn't even realize mine was a Comtoise (or that the word meant that they come from the Comte region of France) until the posts in the other thread. Thanks! I've been reading over the separate message board thread for Comtoise clocks as well and it's very interesting.

I didn't even realize until setting the clock up that it was a repeater! I had heard of repeaters before but can't recall ever seeing one, so it was with some surprise when my clock repeated its strike one minute after the initial hour strike! (As if the first set of CLANGS!!! on that enormous bell wasn't loud enough!):eek: LOL.

Anyway, I had a few more questions about the clock, for those who may have the time to answer:

1. If one looks closely at the top of the metal design around my clock's dial, it appears the metal has been cut or snipped off. It's more jagged than the other three edges of the square. Does everyone agree? My understanding of these types of clocks is that the cases were often made separately or after-the-fact (in fact, the auction house I bought it from describes the case as German even though the clock is French), and thus it's pretty apparent that this movement was not always housed in this case. Did someone cut off the top of the clock in order to get the case to accomodate it? Was this something that was typically done?

2. Before this clock was in this case, how did it hang on the wall? I've seen pictures of a few other similar-looking clocks (with nice oval crests as a part of the decorative metal surrounding the dial :() and they appear to have two "legs" or brackets beneath the clock. Were these brackets part of the clock? Or a separate "shelf" for them to sit on? My clock doesn't seem to have any indication on the back of the metal case to show it had ever hung on a wall, unless it sat on some type of bracket-shelf.

3. laprade, if you see this, you had mentioned in the other thread...

...What did you mean by "bull's eye in the door?" And how did this indicate to you that it would have a folding pendulum rod?

4. The dial of the clock reads, "Foussard fils à Illiers." laprade mentioned the following in the other thread...

...so if Illiers is the location, what does the rest of the phrase mean? Is Foussard the name of the clockmaker?

5. What approximate year/period would this clock date from?

6. In the right-hand side of the movement, there is an odd steel & brass (?) thingie with a sharp needle sticking out of the end. It seems to be some type of counterbalance for the strike mechanism, but why is it so elaborately designed? And why the sharp needle?

OK, I think that's about all for now.

As always, thanks for all of your help and information! :D
    John

Attached Files:

31. Richard T.

Richard T. Deceased
    Deceased

Apr 7, 2005
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Re: Comtoise: It's a repeater! (Comtoise: It's a repeater!)

Most, if not all Comtoise clocks repeat the strike a couple of minutes after the intial strike.

The dial surround or fronton probably has been cut to fit in the case. Some are just folded back, but in this case the bell would be in the way.

Many of these never had a case and just were hung on the wall. Some had two sharp points at the bottom rear of the backboard to make contact with the wall and keep the clock from moving from side to side. Others sat upon a bracket (See Below).

The reference to "bulls eye" is to the small glass opening in the case at the level of the pendulum. This would allow one to see the "flash" of the pendulum as it moved back and forth. The small bob folding pendulum is more commonly seen on "crown wheel" escapement clocks. I don't remember how common they were on clocks with an anchor escapement. The movement could have had a lyre shaped pendulum if there was room in the case to accomodate it.

More often with the anchor escapement you see the large reposse pendulum either with a case that bulges at pendulum length or without a case.

There have been threads about dating these clocks before. From memory I would think 1870 - 1880 or so. (Others please correct this if incorrect, but I will look at the dating chart in my reference book).

The elaborate things you mention are counter weights for the strike. I can't speculate as to the design characteristics.

Many of these dials had various things on them from names of people to places etc..........

Best,

Richard T.

Attached Files:

32. Spaceman Spiff

Jun 19, 2006
    Male
    St. Petersburg, Florida
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #82 Spaceman Spiff, Aug 4, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2010

(Attn Moderator: I was in a hurry--trying to beat a thunderstorm--when I made my initial post, and didn't think of whether this thread would have been better suited in the "Post Your Comtoise (Morbier/Morez) Clocks Here" thread. Feel free to move it if you deem the other thread more appropriate).

Thanks, Richard.

To me, the term "Bull's eye" has a connotation of being a circle. As you can see in photo #2 in my post above, the glass is not a circle but instead a long thin shape, rounded on top and curved upward on the bottom (somewhat like a "torpedo"). Would this still be called a "Bull's eye?"

Thanks again for your comments; curious to see what others have to say.

33. Richard T.

Richard T. Deceased
    Deceased

Apr 7, 2005
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

Sorry, I didn't see the shape of the glass in the lower door. It is not a "bulls eye". One is shown in photo(s) that I posted.

I would also question whether or not the folding pendulum is original to your movement since it has an anchor escapement. Normally these have a different style pendulum with the folding and or lead bob type pendulum used on crown wheel movements. You might want to read this thread: https://mb.nawcc.org/showthread.php?t=62350&highlight=Dating+Comtoise+clocks

Best,

Richard T.

34. harold bain

harold bain Registered User
    NAWCC Member Deceased

Nov 4, 2002
    Male
    deceased
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    John, I've merged it into the "Post your..." thread. Very nice looking clock:thumb::thumb:
    I would agree that a "bullseye" window should be round.

35. Spaceman Spiff

Jun 19, 2006
    Male
    St. Petersburg, Florida
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #85 Spaceman Spiff, Aug 4, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2010
    (Thanks for moving the thread, Harold).

Thanks, Richard.
    That was a very interesting thread you referenced. :thumb:

Sorry, but I don't know the difference (offhand) between an anchor escapement and a verge escapement. I could look it up, but I gather from your assessment that mine has an anchor escapement. So, it appears my clock has been "cobbled together" with assorted pieces, at least as far as clock / pendulum / case. I'd already figured as much that the clock & case were not original together, judging by the jaggedly-cut metal on the top of the dial surround. So, it's somewhat fitting that the pendulum appears to not be original, either.

Nevertheless, the clock runs perfectly, and is keeping excellent time so far. I've had it running for two days and it's not even a minute off. I absolutely love how tall (and dark) the case is, and since I've never had a Comtoise clock before, I'm still quite pleased with this one. :)

Thanks again for your help!!
    P.S. Still hoping for laprade to come along and translate the entire phrase of "Foussard fils à Illiers" for me. :D
    And would still love to know the purpose of the design that sharp needle-like thingie! (counterbalance of the strike)

36. Richard T.

Richard T. Deceased
    Deceased

Apr 7, 2005
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Yes, your clock has an anchor escapement. Below is a photo of a crown wheel escapement. "The crown wheel escapement has neither a very considerable motive power nor a rigid pendulum rod, nor a heavy bob. " (Thus a folding pendulum for a crown wheel, my comment).

"The anchor escapement engages 8 1/2 teeth. It will handle a heavier pendulum of 180 to 800 grams and requires a spring suspension (vs a silk thread, my comment), hence its increasingly widespread use with the coming of the large decorative pendulums of the 19th C." REF: Comtoise Clocks, The Morbier, The Morez, Maitzner & Moreau.

I cannot say absolutely that an anchor escapement can never have a folding pendulum but that is what I believe.

I have also posted a picture of the tower for the silk thread suspension for a crown wheel (just for information).

Regardless, it is a nice clock and you should enjoy it.:)

Best,

Richard T.

Attached Files:

37. Spaceman Spiff

Jun 19, 2006
    Male
    St. Petersburg, Florida
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks, Richard!!

38. laprade

laprade Registered User

Sep 10, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Spacer:

Foussard fils à Illiers: foussard sons at Illiers; note it doesn't say "et fils" and sons. So I assume it means "foussard's sons".

I stand corrected about the bull's eye, now that we have a reasonable picture of the case. The pendulum should be a large affair which conforms to the shape of the glass.

The case is a late one and the movement is from a slightly earlier time. Richard is right about the top of the brasswork being cut off. I had thought it was a genuine "square", like mine.

The picture shown by Richard which shows a bull's eye and bob, is slightly off. The bulges on the side of the case, indicate that the bob was a bigger diameter. My french supplier lists replacements at 115 cms diam and 160 diam. I think Richard's clock originally had the larger one: usually they almost obscure the bull's eyes view. His looks to be much smaller than the eye.

The argument about the usage of hinged rods, is a grey one, as I have seen late model cases with a bull's eye: I have two!

The verge (crown wheel) type almost certainly did only have the folding rod called by the French: balancier (diam etc) avec tige pliante, (1.20 M) <47. 1/2 ins> (they only offer that length). The pressed brass are offered at "1 M à 1.12 M"

Attached Files:

• 121.jpg
      File size:
      231.8 KB
      Views:
  39. Richard T.

Richard T. Deceased
    Deceased

Apr 7, 2005
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    "The picture shown by Richard which shows a bull's eye and bob, is slightly off. The bulges on the side of the case, indicate that the bob was a bigger diameter. My french supplier lists replacements at 115 cms diam and 160 diam. I think Richard's clock originally had the larger one: usually they almost obscure the bull's eyes view. His looks to be much smaller than the eye."

I agree with the above and was aware that the case would have had a larger pendulum. It isn't my clock so I didn't do anything about it.:)

Best,

Richard T.

40. Spaceman Spiff

Jun 19, 2006
    Male
    St. Petersburg, Florida
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks, laprade!!
    :)

41. Richard T.

Richard T. Deceased
    Deceased

Apr 7, 2005
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The clock below is not mine (if I had a place for it I might consider buying it), it belongs to a good friend. I think it is a good example of grain/faux painting. Before a gentle cleaning you could hardly see the detail....wish I had a before picture.

Best,

Richard T.

Attached Files:

• 006.jpg
      File size:
      167.9 KB
      Views:
    • 005.jpg
      File size:
      208.8 KB
      Views:
    • 004.jpg
      File size:
      250.3 KB
      Views:
  42. Sooth

Sooth Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 19, 2005
    Cabinetmaker
    Cornwall, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Wow, what a superb clock case!

43. BLACK FOREST CLOCKS

BLACK FOREST CLOCKS Registered User

Dec 4, 2004
    Collector
    Schwarzwald USA
    Country Flag:
    I thought I would add this new find to the Morbier thread.

It is one of only a few clocks in our home that was not made in the Black Forest.

Attached Files:

44. Mike306p/Ansoniaman

Jan 12, 2001
    Colorado Springs, CO.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Nice clock, thanks for sharing . I read the other thread , 9 ' tall:^ WOW.Mike

45. vinyar

vinyar New Member

Jun 30, 2011
    Dear sirs, could you help me. I have Comtoise clock. It very nice clock. But it works not eight day. His weight falls on 6-7" per day...I must wind up it every three days. What is it?
    From Russia with love

46. harold bain

harold bain Registered User
    NAWCC Member Deceased

Nov 4, 2002
    Male
    deceased
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hard to say without pictures, but possibly the size of the case would be the reason it only runs 3 days. You would need about a four foot fall of the weight to run 7 days, not a very large case.

47. tarant

tarant Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Neurohorologist ;)
    Wroclaw
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    7 inches per day - it's about 18 centimeters, so for 7 days you need 49 inches - 125 cm of "free space". It's normal for these clocks. Is this Comtoise in a case or has only a wall hanger ?

48. Mike306p/Ansoniaman

Jan 12, 2001
    Colorado Springs, CO.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    UPDATE

I got the weights last week from my friend who finally found them on the floor of his parents 2nd garage as if you do not recall he is cleaning up their estate. He is still hoping to find the last piece of the puzzle. I think he says my hopes should be fading as he thinks it is no longer at the house. The final/missing piece, is a door/glass/frame and door knob for the clock dial. It may have been in the garage and somehow was broken. His folks could have forgotten that it belonged to their clock. They may have thought that it was an old picture frame and threw it out with the trash. :(Mike

P.S. Here is one photo of the weights and another photo of my clock case. If you take a close look or click on the clock photo to enlarge it. You then can/may kind of imagine what the shape of my door should look like. I can provide measurements of my door if anyone should happen to have a donor door available from an old broken down and or parts case. LAPRADE, Stephen are you looking / listening to me since you are the Expert and have the access to the home of the Morbier Comptois clocks?:^
    IF someone may be willing to giveup, trade or sell me the part I need I would be grateful.:rolleyes: If not I will give it a go at having a door made. As you can tell this has been a fun but long time coming project for me. More like a CHALLENGE, get it.Thanks to all for your help/ear. Mike.

Attached Files:

49. laprade

laprade Registered User

Sep 10, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Mike, thanks for your email. Glad the clock is coming together.

The door will be the same shape as the hood, and the glass will also be the same shape, with short shoulders, almost like a UK LC clock.

The white painted case is almost close enough. Probably a bit too frilly on the top, but close. I have a similar case, but at the moment can't get to it to take a shot. It doesn't have the external hinges that yours has; which is a sign of quality.

Not at all like the reproduction case shown a few posts back. I don't quite understand where the repros are getting their designs from. As yet, I haven't seen any old ones that look like that. (the french markets thread has several) They are a complete mish mash of the straight cases, like yours, and the lyre cases.

When are going to cut a hole in the floor?

Attached Files:

50. laprade

laprade Registered User

Sep 10, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Mike, I found the pic over in your thread on cases. Also an older walnut case, once the property of Charles Maurice Talleyrand's family, and is still in situ in the château in Chalais (Charente 16)

They both have the concealed hinges, and the short shoulders, with simple broken arch.

Attached Files: