Post Your Clock Collection Here

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by Mike306p/Ansoniaman, May 1, 2005.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. celticprince59

celticprince59 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Male
    Retired. Best job I ever had
    East Coker
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Here are some of my clocks. Some still need to be repaired/serviced (must have something to keep me busy) They are in my "clock room/workshop" as the wife holds strict control as to what is put in the house. I think it is a state shared with plenty of us on this site.

Andy

By the way it is 31degs C at the moment:)

Attached Files:

2. Mike306p/Ansoniaman

Mike306p/Ansoniaman Registered User

Jan 12, 2001
    Recently retired Police Officer 40 years
    Colorado Springs, CO.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #352 Mike306p/Ansoniaman, Mar 6, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2011
    Nice clock collection. Glad that you have a "room" ( place )to put your clocks. Thanks for bringing this thread back after a two years absence. Mike

3. celticprince59

celticprince59 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Male
    Retired. Best job I ever had
    East Coker
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I have to as it is so full of my clocks and clock stuff and my workshop for the woodwork is one of the garages attached to the house. It does not get very cold here so I can work year round.:)

4. Mike306p/Ansoniaman

Mike306p/Ansoniaman Registered User

Jan 12, 2001
    Recently retired Police Officer 40 years
    Colorado Springs, CO.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Here is one from way back. Several others have tried. Interesting at times I thought. Alot of these folks/photos have come and gone. Mike

5. Scottie-TX

Scottie-TX Registered User
    Deceased

Apr 6, 2004
    Retired
    Mesquite, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Back to top for further interest if any.

6. Ticktock Aussie

Ticktock Aussie Registered User

Nov 3, 2012
    Room photo.jpg Some of my clocks for info- I like old English clocks and hope to travel to UK in Jan 2013 to pck up a new bracket clock of type undertermined. Any advise in Oxford area welcomed.

IMG_5100.jpg IMG_4985.jpg IMG_4978.jpg IMG_20121103_222210.jpg

also a grandfather with a GB regualtor to keep everything at the correct time

Attached Files:

7. Scottie-TX

Scottie-TX Registered User
    Deceased

Apr 6, 2004
    Retired
    Mesquite, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Nice collection! Thanks for sharing. I like your diverse taste and selections.

8. Sooth

Sooth Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 19, 2005
    Cabinetmaker
    Cornwall, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #358 Sooth, Nov 7, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2012
    That American round-top column clock in Rosewood is gorgeous. What company is it? Jerome? E.N.Welch? Any photo of the interior/label?

Actually, looking closer, it could be burled walnut rather than Rosewood.

9. Steven Thornberry

Steven Thornberry User Administrator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    I believe that is the Holloway posted earlier in another thread, English with American movement.

10. Ticktock Aussie

Ticktock Aussie Registered User

Nov 3, 2012
    Correct it is a holloway with address on label inside as the Minories London.THink this was the last gasp of the old English clock industry from aprox 1895 before the mass production from US brought cheaper clocks to all. Guess it came to Australia with the wave of europeans in early 60s.

I think it is a Welch movement but it is not very good and makes terrible noise on striking as all the wheels whirr around and small hammer hits a bit of curled wire gong whch all sounds cheap. Case also nice outside but cheaply made inside. Finally presume hands should match but not sure which option to follow if I correct this. I guess many clocks look great in photos but when you see them and live with them and strip them down some faults become apparent.

I have three Americal clocks Ansonia (good) Gilbert (Good ) and the Welch and a cheap paper dial whic are both very poor movements even if they are 100 years +. Presume American market had a high end and a low end.

11. Sooth

Sooth Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 19, 2005
    Cabinetmaker
    Cornwall, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Generally, American made clocks are noisier while they strike, but you may also have a loose fan (tension spring). I usually slide it apart and make sure that the fan is nice and flat when the arbour isn't passing through it, which gives it maximum stiffness when reassembled. The case looks American in style, but with European hardwood veneers, and a brass bezel (would have been wood on an American made case for this style). The hands should likely be Maltese (cross) style.

12. chimeclockfan

chimeclockfan Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 21, 2006
    Chime clock & gong studies.
    WI
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Could be the fan wheel's bearing starting to wear out, too. One of my mantel clocks has a slightly worn fan wheel bearing and it is noisier than the others when it starts up.

13. Tom Macfie

Tom Macfie Registered User

Feb 12, 2018
    Male
    Country Flag:
    I recently became interested in old clocks when I bought a Hamilton 22 Chronometer. More on that clock later.

The one that I am working on now has been in my family since the sixties. UM Muller clock. Lion on left side of back plate (tail down). Below that UM. And below that 198528. On the right side of the plate are the marks P 438. I found out a bit about the company online: Uhrenfabrick Muhlheim, UM Muller & Co. Any information will be great. I read somewhere that the 198528 tells a good bit about the year it was made.

I've managed to get the clock running and keeping good time. The clock has not been oiled for 30 years and I want to see if I can do that on my own.

Is this the correct place to post this information? This is my first time here. Correct my mistakes. I will join at some point in the near future. I'll go back for membership info.

Thank you.

14. new2clocks

new2clocks Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Apr 25, 2005
    Pennsylvania
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Tom,

Welcome to the board!

We have a thread dedicated to UMMC clocks. If you could provide some pictures of the clock and the movement, especially the back of the movement, whether on this thread or the UMMC thread (see below), you will contribute to our knowledge of UMMC. In addition, we will be able to provide much information to you.

https://mb.nawcc.org/threads/rsm-rose-logo-schnekenburger-mühlheim.29370/

With respect to clock repair and maintenance, our clock repair experts frequent the clocks board and will be happy to answer any questions you may have about repair and / or maintenance.

We also have threads dedicated to chronometers.

https://mb.nawcc.org/forums/chronometers.385/

Again, welcome to the board.

Regards.

15. Tom Macfie

Feb 12, 2018
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Thanks for this reply. I did post something on the rsm-rose link.

I look forward to a response and I'm keen to learn the way to oil properly this UM Muller clock.

I will also look at the chronometer link.
    Thank you. TM

16. new2clocks

new2clocks Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Apr 25, 2005
    Pennsylvania
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Tom, you are welcome.

John Hubby is an expert in RSM and UMMC clocks and he will respond to your post. John's plate is quite full, so it may take some time.

Regards.

17. Tom Macfie

Feb 12, 2018
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Thank you. I look forward to John Hubby's response and fully appreciate the fullness of his life and work (and that of many others). I'm in no hurry; your response is helpful.

What other links should I study to begin learning about the fundamentals of clock maintenance? Again, no hurry, merely enjoying the learning process.

Tom

18. novicetimekeeper

novicetimekeeper Registered User
    Donor

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    retired and on my second career
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    we used to be able to have albums on here to show our collections, but I'm not sure what you do about those now. All of my clocks have been loaded up here as pics over the years, it would be good to be able to have them in albums to share.