• Upcoming updates
    Over the next couple of weeks we will be performing software updates on the forum. These will be completed in small steps as we upgrade individual software addons. You might occasionally see a maintenance message that will last a few minutes at most.

If we anticipate an update will take more than a few minutes, we'll put up a notice with estimated time.

Thank you!

Bulle Post Your Bulle-Clocks Here

flynnr2

NAWCC Member
Sep 10, 2016
Country
Region
Congratulations on a great rescue. I would never have believed it was the same case.
It was a close run thing - the veneer in some places is quite thin (and to be honest, wore completely through in a few spots on the corners, but not so much as you'd notice).

The Bulle dial with the recessed numerals is quite interesting. You don't see them very often. I think they may have been made for the American market ?
FWIW, bought it in America.

Reactions: Jmeechie

flynnr2

NAWCC Member
Sep 10, 2016
Country
Region
One more (for now) ... sorted and doing its thing once again
  • Bulle "under glass"
  • #10768, single pawl, full plate
  • Had some of the usual issues
    • isochronal spring was completely strung out
      (which perhaps predates the new suspension it arrived with)
    • dry in all the wrong places
    • lots of sludge in all the other wrong places
  • Plus some surprises ... which suggest someone raided the parts bin and put some miscellaneous from different eras together
    • Rusty steel bits
    • A few extra washers in random places
    • Nut on the back of the post for the damper for the pawl arbor was *so* wrong
    • It also had a homemade "banking bracket" on that 1 side only, mounted on the same post
      (not that it helped, fork doesn't touch it)
    • Because the fork has been replaced with a later clear plastic fork with the s-shaped contact
      (swings inside the original brass banking pins on the back of the plate too)
    • Unhelpfully, the fork was also out of alignment with the flat by about 180 degrees
    • Also unhelpfully, the pawl bobbin had been rounded out inside, so would not catch the flat
    • Minute wheel was stuck on its post from a combination of rust & plier marks(!) on the post
      (ugh)
    • Removing the minute wheel resulted in the post unscrewing from the plate with it
      (I thought they were pressed in, but perhaps screwed & then peened - anyone know?)

EA178F1A-BC39-4233-A421-4E1A245108F1.jpeg
C57754B1-8B04-4213-9903-A7810FD5ECCD.jpeg

Reactions: Jmeechie

eskmill son

NAWCC Member
Sep 13, 2022
Tehachapi, Ca
Country
Region
I'm a little stumped on what type of battery originally powered my clock. It's running off 1.5v, but doesn't look like it originally had space for one No 6 battery. Anybody know?

IMG_2989.jpeg IMG_2987.jpeg IMG_3229.JPG

sophiebear0_0

Nov 5, 2012
Dan

Bulle made a variety of battery types.

Your clock would probably have taken the round #20. This has 2 screw terminal at the top. I have attached a photo, together with some of the other Bulle battery types.

Its quite easy to make up perspex shells and fit a conventional battery holder inside. Just lt me know if you need copies of the labels and I can send you some images.

Regards,

Peter

bulle battery 20.jpg Bulle battery various.JPG bulle battery 20 fitted.jpg

eskmill son

NAWCC Member
Sep 13, 2022
Tehachapi, Ca
Country
Region
Dan

Bulle made a variety of battery types.

Your clock would probably have taken the round #20. This has 2 screw terminal at the top. I have attached a photo, together with some of the other Bulle battery types.

Its quite easy to make up perspex shells and fit a conventional battery holder inside. Just lt me know if you need copies of the labels and I can send you some images.

Regards,

Peter

View attachment 735924 View attachment 735925 View attachment 735926
Thanks so much for the info. I'll look and see how I can build a reproduction shell.

Timothy J. DeCook

Nov 18, 2022
Country
Re: Newbie needs help

View attachment 270931 View attachment 270932 View attachment 270933 View attachment 270934 View attachment 270935 View attachment 270936

John - quite an interesting clock for your dating data-base.

The serial number is 128092. It is a standard XC movement with a case where the movement has to be accessed via the front bezel opening. My French isn't very good, but I think it relates to a service recognition award (or perhaps retirement) from Lemaitre-Demeestere & Sons in 1927. I believe they were a textile company and are still in business today.

A few other interesting observations on the clock:

1) It all looked pretty original to me

2) The support bracket which connects to the hairspring has been shortened and does not have a screw terminal to connect the power lead. I have seen this before with XC movements that are housed in cases without back doors. I wonder whether this is to aid removal of the movement from the case ?

3) The shortened bracket makes attaching the battery wire a little more tricky (since this has to be electrically-isolated from the frame. This is achieved by using two shouldered insulating washers. Again, I don't know whether this is original ?

4) The magnet as received was N-S-N which is unusual. This explains why the positive wire is connected to the bracket.

5) The original battery lugs were in place at the base of the case. This allowed me to make a simple battery holder screwed to a bit of plywood. this works really well and prevents any excess wiring interfering with the pendulum swing.

6) The fork is constructed with separate silver & fibre contacts (as opposed to the s-shaped contact arrangement). Both fibre & silver are in excellent condition, so either they have been replaced or the clock has not seen many working years ? the pawls are also in excellent condition.

7) I have attached a picture of the as-delivered movement. Maybe the oily grime has helped preserve the movement in good condition !

8) I have cleaned up the movement and it is now working away nicely.

Regards,

Peter
Hi, Pertaining to the XC movement, I noticed there is an XA also, would there be an XB? and how far does the sequence go? Tim.

sophiebear0_0

Nov 5, 2012
Tim

The common cast front plates used by Bulle in their mantle clocks were :Clockette; XC and XA. The Clockette was the smallest, and XA the largest. With each of these model types the U-shaped magnet was attached directly to the plate with brackets that were close to the movement. The XC and XA models plates were marked, but the Clockette plate doesn't have any identifying marks.

There are also models with either BC or BG marked on the plate.. I am pretty sure these models are the same diameter as XA, but the magnet is supported much lower down to accommodate a longer pendulum. There are photos and a description of the models types on this thread (Page 12).

Regards,

Peter

Timothy J. DeCook

Nov 18, 2022
Country

View attachment 270931 View attachment 270932 View attachment 270933 View attachment 270934 View attachment 270935 View attachment 270936

The serial number is 128092. It is a standard XC movement with a case where the movement has to be accessed via the front bezel opening. My French isn't very good, but I think it relates to a service recognition award (or perhaps retirement) from Lemaitre-Demeestere & Sons in 1927. I believe they were a textile company and are still in business today.

2) The support bracket which connects to the hairspring has been shortened and does not have a screw terminal to connect the power lead. I have seen this before with XC movements that are housed in cases without back doors. I wonder whether this is to aid removal of the movement from the case ?

3) The shortened bracket makes attaching the battery wire a little more tricky (since this has to be electrically-isolated from the frame. This is achieved by using two shouldered insulating washers. Again, I don't know whether this is original ?

4) The magnet as received was N-S-N which is unusual. This explains why the positive wire is connected to the bracket.

5) The original battery lugs were in place at the base of the case. This allowed me to make a simple battery holder screwed to a bit of plywood. this works really well and prevents any excess wiring interfering with the pendulum swing.

6) The fork is constructed with separate silver & fibre contacts (as opposed to the s-shaped contact arrangement). Both fibre & silver are in excellent condition, so either they have been replaced or the clock has not seen many working years ? the pawls are also in excellent condition.

7) I have attached a picture of the as-delivered movement. Maybe the oily grime has helped preserve the movement in good condition !

Regards,

Peter
Using Google translate, it says "In recognition of services rendered, the house lemaitre-demeestere & fils, with service medals. - 1927" Cool, Tim.

Timothy J. DeCook

Nov 18, 2022
Country

Regards,

Peter
Using Google translate, it says "In recognition of services rendered, the house lemaitre-demeestere & fils, with service medals. - 1927" Cool, Tim.

Regards,

Peter

Timothy J. DeCook

Nov 18, 2022
Country
Tim

The common cast front plates used by Bulle in their mantle clocks were :Clockette; XC and XA. The Clockette was the smallest, and XA the largest. With each of these model types the U-shaped magnet was attached directly to the plate with brackets that were close to the movement. The XC and XA models plates were marked, but the Clockette plate doesn't have any identifying marks.

There are also models with either BC or BG marked on the plate.. I am pretty sure these models are the same diameter as XA, but the magnet is supported much lower down to accommodate a longer pendulum. There are photos and a description of the models types on this thread (Page 12).

Regards,

Peter
Hi Peter, Thanks for getting back to Me, I bought a Bulle a few years back that was in pieces, it came with an XA, magnet, pendulum, movement, two faces, case and front bezel w glass. The XA is too big, I found an XC from the Netherlands and it seems to be the correct size, I'll see when I get it. I have two through the front Asian Models, I will have to take out the movements to see what type of plate that they have. I do watches also and put a couple of the Bulles on the back burner for a bit, recently got a deal on some Tiffanys and started back up on the Clocks. Tim.

sophiebear0_0

Nov 5, 2012
Hi Tim

From memory the dial diameter for the XC movement is around 12-13 cm.

If your Asian models are similar to the attached, then yes they will be XC movement. These models have dial straps that are secured by screws/bolts through the back of the case. They do not have rear doors to access the movement.

Good luck with the Tiffany's. They can be a little pesky. There's lots of good information on the Forum to assist.

Regards,

Peter

ps - Thanks for the translation. I can to a similar conclusion. Possibly a leaving or retirement gift.

China Bulle.JPG

Timothy J. DeCook

Nov 18, 2022
Country
Hi Tim

From memory the dial diameter for the XC movement is around 12-13 cm.

If your Asian models are similar to the attached, then yes they will be XC movement. These models have dial straps that are secured by screws/bolts through the back of the case. They do not have rear doors to access the movement.

Good luck with the Tiffany's. They can be a little pesky. There's lots of good information on the Forum to assist.

Regards,

Peter

ps - Thanks for the translation. I can to a similar conclusion. Possibly a leaving or retirement gift.

View attachment 739177
Hi peter, I didn't think the trans. went thru, but right, a retirement gift. I have two of these same Asian models, one isn't in the best of shape though. I would like to send picture's, but would prefer to include serial numbers of the movement's, I have sixteen workable, and two that need to be restored totally and two to just put back together. I stopped on the Clocks for a while and was doing some of My watches, but My E-bay searches popped up a Frank Holden crystal regulator model, (which of course I bought). So, since I started on the F.H. I figured I might as well finish restoring the Bulle's Too. The Tiffany was a I saw it and thought I missed it, but the seller put it back on at half the price, so I bought that too, I had the smallest Tiffany sitting on My bench for years, I was going to chrome plate it and rewire the coils, but never got around to it, then these other Tiffany's showed up, and I had to buy Them too. I got eleven Hettich's also, kind of go for the early electromagnetic Clocks. But, I'm a Bulle Guy by heart though, I'll get on these picture's maybe They will help someone with theirs. See pics, The Bulle is from a Guy that I offered for Him to come over and I would GIVE! Him the Clocks around here that I was done with, but He didn't respond. I bought the Bulle and re-did it over a weekend, The Tiffany ($175.00) just needed to be re-wired and the insulator made for the top of the floating contact. The last pic .007 is the F.H. I got for $265.00. Tim.

TNW 001.jpg BEFORE.JPG AFTER.JPG 007.jpg

Reactions: flynnr2

sophiebear0_0

Nov 5, 2012
Tim

Some great finds and some great clocks. I'm sure we're not meant to discuss value on this site - but I think you have some real bargains. particularly the Holden regulator !

I am not familiar with the round wall clock design. It will be really interesting to see the details of the movement and overall construction. The fond style on the numerals seems to be the type used on the Bulles made for the American market.

Best regards,

Peter

Timothy J. DeCook

Nov 18, 2022
Country
Tim

Some great finds and some great clocks. I'm sure we're not meant to discuss value on this site - but I think you have some real bargains. particularly the Holden regulator !

I am not familiar with the round wall clock design. It will be really interesting to see the details of the movement and overall construction. The fond style on the numerals seems to be the type used on the Bulles made for the American market.

Best regards,

Peter
Heading out to work, here's the originals. I didn't do much to it, new suspension, contact coil at the top and adjust the contact at the fork, and cleaned and painted the cover. Started right up and keeps correct time, considering the usual play in the hands. I'll try and get the number when I get home tonight. Tim.

MOVEMENT.JPG s-l1600 (1).jpg s-l1600 (3).jpg s-l1600 (6).jpg s-l1600 (8).jpg s-l1600 (9).jpg

Reactions: flynnr2

sophiebear0_0

Nov 5, 2012
Just picked up this unusual Bulle at a local flea market. It appears in the 1940 Bulle Catalogue and apparently came in different shades of glass dial.

The movement is unusual in that it has a ratchet wheel / worm drive.

I need to do a little tidying up of the wiring and fit a new iso-spring. Other than that, and clean up the chrome, it was in very good condition. I don't think this model comes up for sale very often, so it was a pretty lucky find.

Regards,

Peter

Royal 1.JPG Royal 2.JPG Royal 3.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BB767
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Swiss Fake by Kent