Bulle: Post Your Bulle-Clocks Here

Discussion in 'Electric Horology' started by John Hubby, May 7, 2002.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Ingulphus

Ingulphus Registered User

May 29, 2006
    Oakland, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Re: 4 Glass Wood and Brass Cased Bulle

Ian -

Thank you! I had missed #51029, but it was a huge help. Very thin silver wire is on order, and I look forward to addressing the myriad of other issues. I thought torsion clocks were addictive, and I've been content with my Model A for several years, but my eyes have been opened (and my wallet)!:^

By the way, when you re-wrapped your pendulum bob with Anchor pearl cotton thread, what thread size did you use? I suspect that, while neatly done, mine is not original.

Best regards,

Mark

2. Mistyoptic

Mistyoptic Registered User

Jul 8, 2015
    Stafford, UK
    Country Flag:
    #552 Mistyoptic, Jun 22, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2016

Mark
    the lady of the house, who does all the sewing stuff, tells me that Perle or pearl cotton is a particular twist and thickness so all you need to specify is the colour :)
    Regards
    Ian

ALERT - seems that's not necessarily true in USA so it is the Embroidery version that I used

3. Ingulphus

May 29, 2006
    Oakland, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

Cheers! That certainly simplified things.

4. Murday2016

Murday2016 New Member
    NAWCC Member

Oct 18, 2016
    Country Flag:
    Re: Bulle clock questions

Hi, Here is an early Bulle I've had for a couple of years. Its a single plate version, I think, and it has no serial number. I bought it from a guy in Spain who said that he got it from and elderly gent in France who said it was a reps sample taken around in the early days to show to prospective purchasers. Sounded like a ploy to raise the price! As they say on the Antiques Roadshow;- good story but it ain't worth anything without the proof of provenance!
    IMG_2135.jpg IMG_2134.jpg IMG_2128.jpg IMG_2129.jpg IMG_2130.jpg IMG_2133.jpg IMG_2131.jpg IMG_2137.jpg

5. Mistyoptic

Jul 8, 2015
    Stafford, UK
    Country Flag:
    Hi
    Nice looking example, looks to be the same model as the one I posted on the previous page which has a serial number of 3179. Perhaps that will help to date your example?
    Ian

6. mopydick

mopydick Registered User

Jul 12, 2016
    Country Flag:
    4624 - another early one

This one is housed in a round top mantle case. As much as it is a basket case, all the important parts are still there so I'm optimistic about it chances of returning to the land of the living.

The coil has paper as its outer shell versus the colored twine I see on virtually all the early ones. Was the twine just used on the domed versions to jazz them up, and the hidden movements were given paper since no one was going to see the movement?

Peter

1.jpg 3.png 4.png 5.png 6.jpg

7. Ingulphus

May 29, 2006
    Oakland, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Re: 4624 - another early one

Interesting - I would have expected a smaller XC or XA movement in a tambour case like that. I suspect that the paper and tape on the coil is from a previous repair; most of the movements I've seen where the pendulum bob is not visible were covered in silk ribbon (as opposed to the silk or cotton cording used when it would be seen). Others with far more experience than I will hopefully add their information to the thread.

8. Mistyoptic

Jul 8, 2015
    Stafford, UK
    Country Flag:
    #558 Mistyoptic, Jan 29, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2017
    CD about Bulle clocks. Opinions please

Hi all

Periodically my ebay notifications try to offer me a CD about Bulle Clocks "all about this interesting electric clock"

Is it worth it? I have the Robert Miles translated book. Will the CD add anything useful to my knowledge?

Thanks

Ian

9. -roi-

-roi- New Member

Nov 27, 2015
    Country Flag:
    Re: CD about Bulle clocks. Opinions please

hello,
    I have a bulle clock.
    The clock is very important to me and I've been looking for parts for a few years already.

I'm looking for two specific parts of my clock.
    - Driving click
    -Back click

http://postimg.org/image/5vuhcvmkx/

If you can help me find some parts I would be very happy with!
    Even a complete mechanism is obtained.

roi

10. Mistyoptic

Jul 8, 2015
    Stafford, UK
    Country Flag:
    #560 Mistyoptic, May 18, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2017
    Re: Same case, different movement

Same case, different movement.
    since my first post about mother in law's clock (post #480) I have acquired another in the same case but with a BC movement. I've just trawled all through this thread again without finding another similar. The serial is 68405.
    if John Hubby is still reading this thread, any idea of date? Has anyone else seen this movement type? I looked at Pete Smith's restorations on horologix.com and he has not detailed one like it. Seems to be a 'cheaper' option with less brasswork.
    Cheers
    Ian

11. Mistyoptic

Jul 8, 2015
    Stafford, UK
    Country Flag:
    same case, different movement

Sorry, the above post has the wrong title because I did a "quick reply"
    will try to do better :screwball:

12. John Hubby

John Hubby Principal Administrator
    NAWCC Member

Sep 7, 2000
    The Woodlands, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

Ian, thanks for posting your clock, I've edited the title per your comment. I've documented several with this movement and magnet configuration, all in the mid-late 1920s. As I recall it has a 120 bpm pendulum length but could be faster than that. Based on the serial number your clock was made about March 1925.

Actually this case was used for three movement versions that I've documented. This one is labeled "BC", however when the pendulum design changed from the cord-wrapped coil case to the black metal coil case it was labeled "Modéle BG". A standard movement design mounted on a post having a crossbar near the bottom with posts at the end to hold the magnet was also used. The case design is quite nice and has been found in mahogany and walnut versions.

13. Mistyoptic

Jul 8, 2015
    Stafford, UK
    Country Flag:
    #563 Mistyoptic, May 19, 2017
    Last edited: May 19, 2017

Just stripped it down today. With the oil removed and some insulating washers it might even work - lol

14. Mistyoptic

Jul 8, 2015
    Stafford, UK
    Country Flag:

Thanks John
    The other interesting thing to note is that whereas the other one had a veneered case, this one appears to be solid wood. Sadly, at some time I think it was dropped and so the case is cracked in a couple of places and the movement seems slightly out of true. The bevelled glass window seem original so must have survived the fall.

15. agwat1111

agwat1111 Registered User

Aug 6, 2015
    Country Flag:

That is very interesting. I have the same case with an "A" movement. Photos of it before restoration are in POST 503

16. agwat1111

agwat1111 Registered User

Aug 6, 2015
    Country Flag:

I finally got around to finishing this clock which I bought in 2015 and it is now happily running on my desk at work. I bought the clock from Peter Smith in England and it was missing many parts. The case was very dark when I received it and I believe it was covered in nicotine. XA Model, serial # 68239. The case is a bit worn so I took care to simply clean and wax it. The Isochron spring was replaced, silver contact spring was replaced, suspension was missing and replaced, hand collet washer was missing and replaced, hands were missing and replaced, and there were no bolts to retain the movement.

The dial has a cool feature to help in properly setting the back foot of the case which will insure proper position of the pendulum in relation to the permanent magnet (looks like I still need a proper pin to retain the hands)

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]