Post Your BHA Logo (by Becker) 400-Day Clocks Here

Discussion in '400-Day & Atmos' started by zepernick, May 27, 2006.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. pollythecat

pollythecat Registered User

Jul 17, 2016
    East Sussex
    Country Flag:
    Re: BHA

I acquired a BHA logo clock a couple of weeks ago in suitably dirty condition with a view to trying out the silvering supplies I bought a while back but did not use. I do not particularly like the look of this model but it has a silvered dial and I thought it would be good practice.

DSC_5429.JPG DSC_5432.JPG

The first part of the restoration I tackled was the base, it was painted black, lots of thick layers of paint, varnish and dirt. In an attempt to get back to the brass finish I spent three evenings stripping and sanding but gave up because the paint seemed to have reacted with the brass and corrosion was etched in all over and was difficult to remove especially in the creases. So it was re-painted, I do not like the look of it so may try restoring it again when I have a spare week or two or possible turn a new wooden base on my lathe.

The rest of the clock only needed a clean and polish and under the dirt was in good enough condition although I had to adjust the eccentric to increase the lock and even out the drops, luckily the adjuster was not too tight.

The part I had been looking forward to (the dial) was next. I re-filled the hour numerals and minute track and silvered the dial. I did have a moment when the lacquer I was using to protect the finish dissolved the engravers wax so lesson learned, always check and test compatibility of overcoats

DSC_5445.JPG DSC_5459.JPG DSC_5460.JPG

The serial number of the clock and pendulum is:- 2298226

2. etmb61

etmb61 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Oct 25, 2010
    Retired Avionics Technician
    Mascoutah, IL
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

Beautiful job! I love that model myself. I don't think there are many of those out there. Is the base painted brass?

Eric

3. MartinM

MartinM Registered User

Jun 24, 2011
    Male
    Medical Insurance Systems Analyst
    El Dorado, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

Nice restoration.

And a good job on knowing when to stop on the base's plate.

4. pollythecat

pollythecat Registered User

Jul 17, 2016
    East Sussex
    Country Flag:

Hi Eric,

There are a couple of these clocks in previous posts in this topic and they have a lacquered brass finish from the factory but mine was painted when I received it.

Mike

5. etmb61

etmb61 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Oct 25, 2010
    Mascoutah, IL
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

Thanks Mike.

Counting yours I've only recorded 10 of this model. Two are on green marble bases, one is married to a JUF base, and the rest are on typical Becker brass bases like yours. Do you mind posting the serial number?

Eric

6. tysala

tysala New Member

Mar 15, 2011
    Male
    Country Flag:
    #106 tysala, Nov 23, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2016
    This is a 400 day BHA clock that I acquired some years ago in England.

GustavBecker1900 (2).jpg GustavBecker1900 (3).jpg GustavBecker1900 (5).jpg GustavBecker1900 (7).jpg GustavBecker1900 (8).jpg GustavBecker1900 (9).JPG

7. John Hubby

John Hubby Principal Administrator
    Staff Member NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Life Member

Sep 7, 2000
    The Woodlands, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #107 John Hubby, Nov 23, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2016

Mike, thanks for posting your info and the photos of your BHA GB clock. This one is near the last of these made for BHA; the serial number shows it was actually made during WWI near the beginning of 1915 and from all evidence available was shipped to England under contract to BHA. I have documented a significant number of GB clocks that also were sold in England during the war, which is an amazing situation considering the animosity between England and Germany. There is in fact a catalog from an English trader printed in 1916 that has the first GB 4-Ball pendulum illustrated. I have used that to confirm the GB 4-Ball was definitely introduced right after the JUF patents expired in November 1915.

You did a great job on the clock. As far as removing the paint is concerned, I would have tried a strong paint remover and then used steel wool with a good paste brass polish to get down to unblemished brass. After that a final polish using old cotton toweling to bring up the shine. The only time I had a base on which that didn't work was one that was chemically corroded such that the zinc was removed from the brass and left very "splotchy" copper colored areas. Had to have that one plated with brass as it was an unusual design and I didn't have another one like it.

Your silvering job on the dial is excellent. This model was made with this dial for nearly all the BHA examples, only one other clock has thus far been documented with an enamel dial having a floral garland inside the Arabic numbers.

Eric, with this clock there are now 20 of this model in the BHA archive alone, plus numerous others in my main database. In fact, all but two of the the BHA models I have in my data after serial number 2141019 made in 1910 are this model. We don't have a specific model number yet, however there are two shown in GB catalogs that are similar:

No 389 Disc.jpg No 503 Btn Finial.jpg The first one to the left is No. 389 illustrated in the 1911 GB catalog. It uses a standard GB base with the movement support pillars to the front, disc pendulum, and an enamel dial with Arabic numbers and the GB Anchor logo at 6:00. This model has not been seen among BHA logo clocks but has been documented. The one to the right is No. 503 illustrated in the 1924 and later GB catalogs. It has the same movement pillar design as the BHA clocks we have documented but is fitted with a GB 4-Ball pendulum, an enamel dial with floral garland, and the GB "flared" base instead of the typical GB base found on most BHA logo clocks..

8. John Hubby

Sep 7, 2000
    The Woodlands, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Tysala, welcome to the NAWCC Message Board! Thanks for posting the photos of your BHA GB clock, this one was made about November 1908 based on the serial number 2065723. This is model No. 498 as illustrated in the GB 1911 sale catalog and later:

No. 498 Shield.jpg The "shield" design used for the dial and surround with the stamped finials is arguably the most attractive of GB glass dome models. It was made from 1907 to 1920, the large majority being made for BHA from 1907 to 1910. Although the illustration shows a GB anchor logo at 12:00 on the dial, I have not yet seen one with that present. Also, all the dials documented to date are silvered. Your dial has lost some of the original silvering, it can be restored in the same way that Mike (pollythecat) did his. The dial surround was originally a kind of two-tone dark and light bronze or gold color.

Although your clock is missing the suspension guard, it appears to otherwise be completely original. Does the pendulum have a serial number scribed underneath the disc?

9. KurtinSA

KurtinSA Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 24, 2014
    Aerospace Engineer (Ret.)
    San Antonio, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Picked this up today at a local antique store. As soon as I saw the base and then the BHA logo, I had to get it. SN is 2107927 on both the plate and pendulum. I believe this is plate 1032 because of the pallet inspection holes and logo location. Based upon some reading above, I'm guessing it's in the 1910 timeframe. If I'm seeing it right, the upper block/support is #7 in the guide.

I guess this is a "shield dial" but different than the other shields shown above.

Kurt

BHAFrt.jpg BHABckt.jpg BHASupport.jpg

10. etmb61

etmb61 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Oct 25, 2010
    Mascoutah, IL
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Nice one Kurt.

I only find overpriced Kundos in my local stores. As John said above, that model was mostly made for BHA. My records show only BHA clocks with that dial. The crown piece is more common on 4 inch porcelain dials for Beckers, or silver dials for BHA.

Did you get a bargain?

Eric

11. KurtinSA

KurtinSA Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 24, 2014
    Aerospace Engineer (Ret.)
    San Antonio, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Eric -

It was $65, which for the age and rarity (the first one that I've ever seen), I thought was well worth it. The base is just holding together. There is a horizontal crack running along the bottom...it was visible when I was looking at the underside of the base and I could see through it. Not sure that I can fix it but I might get some of my favorite glue and smear it around the inside of the crack to give it some stability.

They said they were selling things for a private estate sale, so I'll have to go back by. I've gotten to know the lady very well. Her husband used to be in our local chapter until he died maybe 15 years ago. She has the largest offering of all kinds of clocks that I've seen anywhere.

Kurt

12. etmb61

etmb61 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Oct 25, 2010
    Mascoutah, IL
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I'd call that a steal! I've only recorded 10 BHA clocks with that dial. I'd have grabbed that in a heart beat!

13. John Hubby

Sep 7, 2000
    The Woodlands, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Kurt, thanks for posting. You have a model No. 498 Shield dial clock as I posted above in response to Tysala's post, and the back plate is Plate 1032. I now have 42 of this model catalogued in my BHA database, all of which were made from about March 1907 to the end of 1909 for BHA. During that same period I have found only one with GB logo stamps made about mid-1908, the plate layout is like 1207A but with no pallet inspection holes. However, from about April 1910 to just after the advent of WWI I have documented only eight more of this model, all with GB logos and all with Plate 1207A. Looks like this model was made almost exclusively for BHA prior to 1910, and then only for GB from 1910 to 1915.

Regarding the dial and finial, it is completely correct for model No. 498. The rest of the clock is also original as best I can tell, the upper bracket is No. 7, the suspension guard is the correct design that was introduced at the same time as upper bracket No. 7 in 1909, together with Plate 1207A. Your clock was made about July-August 1909 based on the serial number.

14. Acuario

Acuario New Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Hello,
    here are photos of my clock serial number 2141128. It has been in my possession for probably the last 30 years and I inherited it from my grand parents who lived near London - I believe they purchased it new.
    I included the key in the picture as I haven't seen any other photos of the key - I guess this is often lost. I do have the original glass dome as well although it's not in the photos.

Nigel

20180718_185935.jpg 20180718_190013.jpg 20180718_190036.jpg

15. Albion123

Albion123 New Member

Oct 21, 2018
    Male
    Country Flag:
    The other day, I was passing a local charity shop (I believe you call these "Thrift Shops" in the United States). This particular one was run by the local hospice to raise funds for the care of terminally-ill cancer patients, so I paid more attention to it than usual.

In the window, there was a 400-day clock with a price tag of £8 in GB pounds, which would be about 11 USD. These clocks typically have a rather poor reputation in the UK and when they stop running they are often scrapped as being either valueless or at least worth far less than the cost of repair.

Although I have plenty of other clocks of various types, I have never owned a 400-day clock and their poor reputation has always intrigued me. When I saw this one at such a reasonable price, coupled with the object for which funds were being raised, I had little option but to purchase it. The shop manageress explained the price by saying that she had no idea what it was worth, so she just thought of a figure!

Its brass finish is somewhat tarnished, there is a dent in the pendulum disc and the clock will currently not run for more than a few minutes, but at least the only part missing appears to be the key and the glass dome is intact.

The backplate is stamped with "BHA" mark. Although the serial number is partially obscured by the click spring, it is properly stamped and appears to be "1958503".

Would Forum Members be interested if I were to take some photographs of it and post them here?

16. etmb61

etmb61 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Oct 25, 2010
    Mascoutah, IL
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Please post some pictures. You definitely got a deal!

Eric

17. gintarasb64

gintarasb64 Registered User

Oct 1, 2012
    Male
    Lithuania
    Country Flag:
    Hello,
    Sharing nice 400 day clock. The movement is unsigned, but I think that this BHA . Any comments would be very interesting. Regards
    Gintaras

20190221_090444.jpg 20190221_090500.jpg 20190221_090444.jpg 20190221_074311.jpg 20190221_074331.jpg 20190221_074306.jpg 20190221_090451.jpg

18. etmb61

etmb61 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Oct 25, 2010
    Mascoutah, IL
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Very nice and unusual clock. It is a Becker clock and John Hubby has shown it in their catalog in an earlier post. What makes it unusual to me is the unmarked plates. It was made while Becker was still applying their Gold Medal stamps to their movements, and it was outside the serial number range (in my records) for clocks sold by BHA. I have recorded a few other unmarked models in the number range of this clock. Perhaps John can shed some light on this one.

Eric