Post Your BHA Logo (by Becker) 400-Day Clocks Here

Discussion in '400-Day & Atmos' started by zepernick, May 27, 2006.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. zepernick

zepernick Deceased

Aug 8, 2004
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I've been able to establish that the BHA mark found on clocks was the same one associated with B.H. Abrahams (1839-1902) of music box renown, and related firms which followed his death.

It would be most helpful in sorting out specific matters if a time span could be roughed out. BHA marked but Becker-made clocks with serial numbers offer one opportunity.

At present I've only noted four such BHAs: 1461151 (1900?), 1958475 (1907), 2006629 (1908), and 2131338 (1910).

I'd therefore be most grateful if all with BHA-stamped but Becker-made clocks bearing serial numbers could please reply (here) with the numbers. These can then be checked against John Hubby's listings.

Thank you! Regards, Duck

2. MUN CHOR-WENG

MUN CHOR-WENG Registered User

Sep 5, 2000
    Country Flag:
    BHA

Hello Doug,

I have a Becker 400 Day clock with a BHA-stamped back plate. The serial number is 2069927 .

Regards

Mun

3. John Hubby

John Hubby Principal Administrator
    Staff Member NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Life Member

Sep 7, 2000
    The Woodlands, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    BHA

Duck, wonderful! I have been trying to remember the name as I had not yet found the document(s) I know I have, and I am certain the one you came up with is the same.

One request to those who post here, will appreciate if you could also say what kind of clock the number came from. For example, 400-Day, Mantel Westminster, 2-weight wall regulator, etc.

I presently have 21 "BHA" logo clocks in my database including those listed so far here. The dates range from 1st quarter 1900 (Doug's first number) to 4th quarter 1910. All but two are 400-Day clocks.

John Hubby

4. Michael Davies

Michael Davies Registered User

Nov 29, 2005
    Country Flag:
    BHA

My BHA 400-day GB with matching-number disc pendulum is 2165747 (mid-1911?).
    Many thanks for clarifying this - I got nowhere with the British Horological Institute!

Could Duck or John tell us a bit about why the BHAs did not have any GB marks?

Regards to all
    Michael Davies.

5. zepernick

zepernick Deceased

Aug 8, 2004
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    BHA

Greetings John, Mike, Mun and all --

An understated pleasure of our international horological community is that one can be excited about something like BHA and not have someone scrooge about its "relevance". In short -- and I do apologize for this shameless pun beforehand -- there's no BHA-humbuggery!

As far as BHA and VFU/GB as well as other makers' BHA-marked clocks go, it's still early days. What I've discovered thus far is first, that several sources do not agree with one another on the who's, when's, what's and where's. And secondly, they seemingly haven't noticed that they don't.

At present I have information about B.H. Abrahams/BHA from six different sources. These are (1) MBSI, Ord-Hume & co., (2) British census data and genealogical sites, (3) UK Jewish historical on-line records, (4) A French volume on the music-box makers of Ste.-Croix translated into English and kindly made available by a member of the Music Box Society of Great Britain, (5) the German 1904 trade "address book" for the clockmaking and musical-works industries, and (6) our own data, gathering together even now, as above.

And they simply do not fit together. For example, it would be easy to assume -- as it has been -- that BHA/B.H. Abrahams were/was the London agent or agents for VFU/GB. Except that the 1904 _Adressbuch_ clearly states that Landenberger & Co were (see previous MB thread here).

Or, and just as another example, the MBSI site has B.H. Abrahams/BHA making music boxes from ca 1857-1900. Whereas the French volume quite specifically states that the B.H. Abrahams firm was founded in Sainte-Croix on 24 August 1895.

But through a missing line -- a French clock advertised on eBay that has "THE BRITANNIA MOVEMENT" curved above the BHA mark in the oval in the middle, with MADE IN FRANCE the curved smile below, I found a bridge between BHA the music-box folk (BRITANNIA was the registered tradename) and BHA and clocks.

As just a working hypothesis, I'd suggest at this point that B.H. Abrahams were/was flogging clocks made by others with their/his BHA stamped on them, both before their/his Ste-Croix days, and well after that firm there went out of business, and well after his death.

And therefore the importance of the VFU/GB dating line! Speaking of which, suppose we should put in a request for other BHA sitings on the Clocks MB.

When we get more information in, of course I'll put it together and share through CLOCKS and TTT.

Regards, Duck
    on a sunny Sunday morn

P.S. It would be enormously helpful if we had someone who has access to the "with-access-only" on-line London trade directories that cover, say, 1890 up to to the Great War.

6. zepernick

zepernick Deceased

Aug 8, 2004
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    BHA

Sorry. That should be "...for other BHA sightings and citings". D.

7. John Hubby

Sep 7, 2000
    The Woodlands, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    BHA

Michael, your clock just extended the range into 1911, as you speculated. My records would show it at late 2nd quarter 1911. Could you post photos or send to me offline? Front view plus back plate view would be good.

Regarding your query about why the BHA plates didn't have GB marks, it appears their practice was no different from the other makers who would sell movements stamped with the re-sellers' name or logos. "Many" instances of that being done.

John Hubby

8. any400day

any400day Registered User
    NAWCC Life Member

Aug 26, 2000
    Singapore
    Country Flag:
    BHA

Doug and John,
    I have six 400 day clocks with the BHA mark.
    2007108, 2019529, 2019657, 2065364 (backplate 1032A)
    2070733 (backplate 1032) and
    2131311 (backplate 1033)

Vic

9. zepernick

zepernick Deceased

Aug 8, 2004
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    BHA

Very good stuff here! Thanks to all.

John, do you know someone in the UK with access to those on-line (but with access-only) older London Directories? If not, please give me an e-ping, and I'll try to volunteer one of the extended horo-clan there <G>.

Best, Duck

P.S. Might Editor of TTT also kindly ask readers to send in info about BHA-marked clocks?

10. John Hubby

Sep 7, 2000
    The Woodlands, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    BHA

Duck, I'll definitely add the query to the June issue of TTT. Don't know anyone with access to the London directories, but will inquire.

Also . . re serial number 1461151: Even though this is clearly shown in the Repair Guide on Plate 1032, no way it could have been made at the 1900 date that corresponds to that number. Here's "why not":

1) Presence of the suspension guard post mounting screw holes. That little invention didn't appear until late 1905, lowest serial number to date with this feature is 1873519.

2) Presence of the pallet inspection holes in the plate. Those didn't appear on GB clocks until 1909.

Now . . having knocked off the 1900 date, problem is I have no idea what the actual serial number was on this plate. It could not have been 1961151, still too early by two years for the inspection holes. Could have been 2461151, putting it out to 1925, but it would be a "standalone" number at that point, have not seen another BHA appear after WW1. So . . bit of a mystery here that could only be resolved by seeing the actual clock. At the moment this will be in the "too hard" basket.

John Hubby

11. John Hubby

Sep 7, 2000
    The Woodlands, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    BHA

Vic, thanks for all the numbers. Regarding the one with Plate 1033 (2131311), this is the lowest (yet) serial number I have recorded for a GB skeleton. Could you send me photos off list so it can be properly documented in the database? Much appreciated!

John Hubby

12. zepernick

zepernick Deceased

Aug 8, 2004
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    BHA

John -- What's your (now) earliest BHA'd VFU/GM by year? I'll also ask a fellow in London if he might have access to these on-line directories. Regards, Duck

13. Michael Davies

Nov 29, 2005
    Country Flag:
    BHA

Photos of 2165747:

16.jpg

17.jpg

18.jpg

These were supposed to have appeared as URLs only but something went wrong and IMG was added - apologies!

Michael Davies

14. John Hubby

Sep 7, 2000
    The Woodlands, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    BHA

Doug, the lowest serial number I have recorded so far with a verified BHA logo is 1953468. This clock is a 400-Day, with back plate of the same layout as Plate 1032A but with the BHA logo stamped in the lower right corner.

This clock was made in 1st quarter 1907 by my records.

John Hubby

15. zepernick

zepernick Deceased

Aug 8, 2004
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    BHA

Thank you John! Michael, IMG "error" or not, they're great photos, and thank you too. Regards, Doug

16. pgp001

pgp001 Registered User

Apr 3, 2006
    BHA

Item N° 6634469297 currently on ebay has serial number 2141344

Phil

17. pgp001

pgp001 Registered User

Apr 3, 2006
    BHA

Another on ebay

VICTORIAN GERMAN 400 DAY ANNIVERSARY TORSION CLOCK
    markers mark B.H.A no.2088659 disc pendulum white dial Item number: 6635957253

Phil

18. Michael Davies

Nov 29, 2005
    Country Flag:
    BHA

Phil's June 2nd BHA is a Becker, but the June 8th BHA certainly doesn't look like a Becker!

Michael Davies

19. zepernick

zepernick Deceased

Aug 8, 2004
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    BHA

Michel -- I'm hesitant to guess as I'm not good at these movement-plate IDs. But mightn't the June 8th BHA be GB Plate 1199 in the _Horolovar 400-Day Clock Repair Guide_ (10th)? Regards, Duck

20. John Hubby

Sep 7, 2000
    The Woodlands, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    BHA

Doug, Michael, and all . . the "June 8" clock is a VERY interesting MARRIAGE. The GB movement has the BHA Plate 1032 but without pallet inspection holes, which fits the serial number date of 3rd quarter 1909, right at the time that GB were transitioning to include the inspection holes.

Now, here's the really interesting part: EVERYTHING on this clock with the exception of the movement, was manufactured for a Jahresuhren-Fabrik clock of that same period (1909)! Here are the items that can be positively identified as normally "belonging" to a JUF clock:

* Base. This base is typical of those used extensively by JUF at this time.
    * Movement support columns and column finials. Ditto.
    * Movement support plate. Ditto again.
    * Capital and finials mounted on the movement. And again.
    * Dial and bezel. Ditto again. This dial and bezel is about 3/16 inch smaller in diameter than the standard GB porcelain dials used in 1909, AND the GB movements are 3/8 inch taller than the JUF movements. That accounts for the hole being visible in the front plate just underneath the bezel, which normally is covered by GB dials.
    * Pendulum. This pendulum was never used by GB. It has been documented mostly with JUF clocks but also has been seen on Kienzle clocks of the same period.
    * Upper suspension bracket and "C" block. This suspension (nor the suspension guard noted below) has never been seen on a fully GB clock.

Note that even the back plate has been drilled and tapped to fit a tubular JUF suspension guard, the same as "always" found with the "C" upper suspension (both of these were patented by Andreas Huber and licensed to JUF and others).

No GB clock has been seen before (by me at least) with "any" of the above components. It would be pure speculation to try to decide what happened here and why, but suffice to say this is definitely a marriage.

I've documented it for the eventuality of another one turning up sometime. It would be a bit easier to tell a little more if I could see the actual clock, but would not be surprised if this had been done "professionally" by BHA.

John Hubby

21. Michael Davies

Nov 29, 2005
    Country Flag:
    BHA

John - I'm sure you'll have noted on the "June 8" clock no holes below the dial for a decorative brass embellisher (earlier forum thread).
    This clock is number 2088569 - pretty close to Vic(Any400day)'s 2087903 also without embellisher holes. Is this only the second or have you come across any more since this was last discussed?
    To add to this I have GB front and backplates both numbered 684881 (unfortunately without the in-between bits!) and there are no embellisher holes on this either.
    Michael Davies.

22. John Hubby

Sep 7, 2000
    The Woodlands, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    BHA

Michael, I did note that. Since Vic came up with his clock with no provision for the decor, I've dug into my records and taken a closer look at some of the clocks I have in stock. I've now identified seven without the mounting holes present, all within the same year of production (1909). There does not appear to be any correlation with the back plate used.

Re your clock plates, I'm guessing you left the "1" off the beginning of the serial number? In my records I have clock number 1684852, very close to yours, made early 1903.

John Hubby

23. Michael Davies

Nov 29, 2005
    Country Flag:
    BHA

John - you are right of course about the numbers. I didn't actually omit the "1" - it wasn't there until I deep-cleaned the plates after reading what you said. The "684881" are well hammered in both plates but the front "1" is a barely visible "scratch" on them that looks like an afterthought! I seem to remember you having something to say about the occasional very poorly struck numbers elsewhere.
    Presumably though we now have "no mounting holes" in 1903 as well as 1909.
    Michael Davies.

24. John Hubby

Sep 7, 2000
    The Woodlands, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    BHA

Michael, that certainly is the case. I've also located another clock since my above message that does not have the mounting holes, instead it has a GB Anchor logo and the serial number of the clock. I'll post a photo later, serial number is 1717503 made in mid-1903.

John Hubby

25. pgp001

pgp001 Registered User

Apr 3, 2006
    BHA

I became the proud new owner of BHA 2141344 on ebay, (see previous post) and am just awaiting it's arrival in the mail.

John:- What will the date of this one be please, also I have seen subtle variations in the design of dial on this style of clock, do you know how many different ones were made.

Thanks
    Phil

26. John Hubby

Sep 7, 2000
    The Woodlands, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    BHA

Phil, your clock dates to 3rd quarter 1910. Regarding variations of this design, I've seen four variations of the dial itself and three of the crown.

Dial variations include the metal dial you have and three porcelain versions. These all have similar Arabic numbers but differ in other features. One is plain, cream color, and with a GB Anchor logo at 12:00 between the 12 and the center of the dial. The second is similar, but with white porcelain and a black line scallop pattern around the dial inside the numbers. The third is a creamy white porcelain and a floral garland scallop around the dial inside the numbers, this one also had "K.C.Cº Germany" written at 6:00 outside the minute ring. The most frequent one is the metal dial.

The three crown versions includes the one you have, one which has the three "finial" parts covered with half-round cast brass finials, and a third one also with the cast brass finials but with additional filigree piercing between them near the top edge all the way across, plus etched patterns over the whole of the crown's flat surface.

There are more than likely other varieties. It seems that all the makers played "mix and match" with variations of dial design, crown design, etc.

John Hubby

27. pgp001

pgp001 Registered User

Apr 3, 2006
  28. John Hubby

Sep 7, 2000
    The Woodlands, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    BHA

Phil, thanks for posting the link. I believe that's Lindsay Bramall holding the clock, and I recall he had it on display at one of the meetings I attended in Australia within the past few years. That's the only one I've seen, and I had forgotten about it. So, add at least one more to the list of dials. Notice also that the crown is the same as the one mentioned earlier.

John Hubby

29. pgp001

pgp001 Registered User

Apr 3, 2006
    BHA

Well it finally arrived, and I have given it the complete strip down and re-build treatment.
    It looks to be a nice original model which has not been messed around by anyone previously.

Here it is now:-
    The brass and silvered dial are not pink by the way, its a reflection from the flash.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/phil.procter/400%20Day%20Clocks/Becker%20BHA%20plate%201032%20serial%202141344/Becker%20BHA%20Plate%201032%20serial%202141344%20-%20001.jpg

Rest of detail photos here:-

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/phil.procter/400%20Day%20C...%20serial%202141344/

30. John Hubby

Sep 7, 2000
    The Woodlands, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    BHA

I was pointed to this BHA 400-Day Clock on eBay earlier today. It is the same design as the one pointed out earlier by Phil, that I had seen on a visit to Australia a while back. The serial number is 2108056, Plate 1032, shield convex metal dial. Since the last update have identified five more, so now there are at least seven of these :biggrin: in existence.

The serial number dates this clock to 1st quarter 1910. Unfortunately the silver has been polished off the dial but that can be restored. Nice clock, complete including matching serial numbered pendulum, suspension guard, and glass dome.

For info, the "official" listing I started with this thread now includes 38 BHA logo clocks. In addition to updating the list, I am now "reordering" the listing to show the progression of back plate designs:

>> Lowest serial number 1953468, Feb. 1907 NO CHANGE
    >> Highest serial number 2165747, June 1911 NO CHANGE
    >> Seven clocks with a variant of Plate 1032A, BHA logo at lower right instead of center left. This is the first plate used for the BHA back plate logo, I'm calling it 1032A*
    >> Eight clocks with Plate 1032A. Previously shown as 13, four were changed to 1032 first variant, one to 1032A variant after re-inspection of back plate photos. This is the second plate design used.
    >> Eight clocks with first variant of Plate 1032, BHA logo in same place and all else the same but NO inspection holes. Four previously shown incorrectly as Plate 1032A, one new added. This is the third plate design used, I'm calling it 1032*.
    >> Seven clocks with Plate 1032. This is the fourth plate design used.
    >> Six clocks with Plate 1033 (Skeleton Clocks) NO CHANGE. This is the fifth plate design used.
    >> Two clocks with Plate 1032 second variant, BHA logo at upper left instead of center left NO CHANGE. This is the sixth plate design used, I'm calling it 1032**.

Any and all leads for more info appreciated!

Edited to update listings, Sept. 14, 2006

John Hubby

31. kepiting1sg

kepiting1sg Registered User

Jun 19, 2006
    Country Flag:
    BHA

Hello Duck,

I have one BHA to add.
    Plate 1032 Serial # 2108089
    Just like John has mentioned same Plate 1032 but with pallet inspection holes. 1910? 1911? :confused:

4.gif

32. John Hubby

Sep 7, 2000
    The Woodlands, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    BHA

KP, thanks for posting. The serial number on your clock is only 33 digits later than the one I've described above, so it was made at the same time namely 1st quarter 1910. Now there are three! :cool:

I notice that the dial on yours is silvered as it should be. Also, Plate 1032 is the one WITH pallet inspection holes. The first BHA with this plate in my records is S/N 2088659, made about mid-2nd half 1909 shortly after the introduction of the inspection holes.

One question, does the pendulum on your clock have a serial number?

John Hubby

33. kepiting1sg

kepiting1sg Registered User

Jun 19, 2006
    Country Flag:
    BHA

Hello John,

Thank you again for dating my clock.
    Yes! The clock has a silvered dial.
    I took a closer look again at the back plate
    & realized that the serial numbers is not 2108089 but 2108082.

Scratched on the back of the pendulum is
    the serial # R 2108082 and it tally
    with the numbers on the back plate.

Please see pictures below

5.gif

6.jpg

7.jpg

34. zepernick

zepernick Deceased

Aug 8, 2004
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    BHA

Greetings all --

Some horofriends and I have been gathering further information about the firm BHA, and this information, which is quite lengthy, will be submitted as an article to the Bulletin. All the information and assistance reported here will -- but of course! -- be both referenced and cited. Indeed, a theme is the wonder of Net'd research.

Regards,
    Duck

35. John Hubby

Sep 7, 2000
    The Woodlands, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    BHA

KP, thanks for the serial number update and photo. It looks like two of your photos didn't load properly. Were they of the pendulum?

Duck, will look forward to the BHA article!!

John Hubby

36. Ralph

Ralph Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jan 22, 2002
    Country Flag:
    BHA

While surrogate snarkhunting, I came across a BHA, # 2070850.
    A link to the host site.

Here's another...on eBay.UK #2070992

BHA on ebay

..and another.. #2108056

BHA #2 on eBayUK

Tardy Dictionnaire's does not list BHA. It seems like it lists earlier French makers(?).

Ralph

37. John Hubby

Sep 7, 2000
    The Woodlands, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    BHA

Ralph, many thanks!! Didn't have the first two in the list but had seen the third one. Amazing that once I thought there were only two or three of the clocks with the special shield dial, now have seven in the database. Also, with the recent effort have accumulated a total of 35 clocks listed, with three of them having a back plate not seen before.

I've updated my summary posting above to reflect the current status.

John Hubby

38. Brian

Brian New Member

Aug 15, 2007
    Re: BHA

I made an impulse buy at a small local auction yesterday, as I liked the look of the clock. While trying to find out something about it, I came across this site.
    It is a BHA serial no 2019149 (backplate and pendulum) with glass dome.
    It looks as though it could do with a bit of a clean up, although it appears to be in working order. I wonder someone could point me to where I should start in order to date the clock, how can you tell if it's a Becker, and also where to look for advice on basic maintenance/cleaning up.
    Cheers,
    Brian

39. John Hubby

Sep 7, 2000
    The Woodlands, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

Brian, it would be very much appreciated if you could post photos here . . full front, plus a closeup of the back plate of the movement showing the logo and serial numbers. If you have problems posting, send to me by email at pastimes @ juno.com and I can post them for you.

There are several things that can confirm that the clock was made by Becker, including such things as pendulum design, base design, and other items. Photos will confirm all that info.

Presuming the clock is a 400-Day with the BHA logo, it was made in 2nd quarter 1908 based on the serial number. You mention the same serial number is on the clock movement and the pendulum disc. That shows the pendulum will be original to the clock.

Regarding cleaning and servicing your clock, I suggest you browse this forum for info. There are threads here on about every aspect of how to get your clock bright and shiny and running well.

John Hubby
    >>>>

40. Brian

Brian New Member

Aug 15, 2007

Thanks John,
    I won't be able to get hold of a digital camera for the next couple of weeks, but will take photographs and post them as soon as I can.
    This looks like a really useful group here and I look forward to dipping into it when my four kids give me the chance!
    Thanks again
    Brian

41. John Hubby

Sep 7, 2000
    The Woodlands, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Re: BHA Database Info

Since I can't edit my earlier post I'm copying most of it here to provide an update on the efforts to compile BHA logo clock information.

Since the last update nearly a year ago, 16 clocks have been added. The end points are still the same, but quite a bit of filling in the gaps. The Art Nouveau engraved shield convex silvered dial clocks have now grown from seven to thirteen.

With the addition of Brian's clock the "official" listing I started with this thread now includes 54 BHA logo clocks. Following is the latest update of the list in the same backplate design progresssion as before:

>> Lowest serial number 1953468, Feb. 1907 NO CHANGE
    >> Highest serial number 2165747, June 1911 NO CHANGE
    >> Eight clocks with a variant of Plate 1032A, previously was seven. BHA logo at lower right instead of center left. This is the first plate used for the BHA back plate logo, I'm calling it 1032A*
    >> Sixteen clocks with Plate 1032A, previously was eight. This is the second plate design used.
    >> Ten clocks with first variant of Plate 1032, previously was eight. BHA logo in same place and all else the same but NO inspection holes. This is the third plate design used, I'm calling it 1032*.
    >> Ten clocks with Plate 1032, previously was seven. This is the fourth plate design used.
    >> Eight clocks with Plate 1033 (Skeleton Clocks), previously was six. This is the fifth plate design used.
    >> Two clocks with Plate 1032 second variant, BHA logo at upper left instead of center left NO CHANGE. This is the sixth plate design used, I'm calling it 1032**.

Any and all leads for more info appreciated!

Edited to update listings, August 16, 2007

John Hubby
    >>>>

42. ivancooke

ivancooke Registered User

Mar 3, 2009
    Self employed Clerk of works in the water industry
    Banbridge, Northern Ireland.
    G.B.....B.H.A.
    Not sure if this is classed as a shield dial or not ?

S/N.2141420.
    Same number on pendulum.

Ivan.

Attached Files:

43. lesbradley

lesbradley Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 20, 2007
    IT analyst
    Fairford, England
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Four glass brass case with champleve decoration, Serial no.2069961

Attached Files:

44. John Hubby

Sep 7, 2000
    The Woodlands, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Although it might be more properly called something else (pediment, headpiece?), I classify it as a shield. In my data it's listed as "Stamped Button Shield". Stamped for being punched out of plain sheet brass, and button due to the decorative "buttons" mounted below each finial.

This particular clock design is illustrated in the 1912 GB Catalog published by Victor Tang as Model No. 489, although with a different base and without the finials found on the movement support columns with your clock. I've attached a scan for info and comparison. Your clock has the robust spun brass base most often associated with GB 400-Day clocks, appearing with the first GB standard movement in late 1902 and continuing to be used until 400-Day production was stopped in late 1932. The one with the catalog clock is turned of mahogany, showing that wood bases did originate in the factory. The shape of the base is identical to the spun brass version that first appeared in 1906, also used until late 1932. I call it the "GB Flared Base". It is similar to one of the bases used by Kienzle from 1906, and also to the base used by Junghans for their unusual 400-Day clocks, but is larger in diameter and deeper than either of the other two. Another observation is that many of both types of bases (but not the wood ones!) were fitted with a brass-plated steel cap over the center section throughout their use by GB. These steel caps have also been found with most other early makers' clocks.

Based on the serial number, your clock was made in 1st quarter 1910. Thanks for posting, I didn't have this one in my data. The total BHA list is now up to 95 individual clocks with this one added.

Attached Files:

45. ivancooke

ivancooke Registered User

Mar 3, 2009
    Self employed Clerk of works in the water industry
    Banbridge, Northern Ireland.
    Excellent information John.
    I forgot to mention, there is a green flocked or velvet type material insert on the bottom of the dome channel.
    Is this original or was it added later ?

46. John Hubby

Sep 7, 2000
    The Woodlands, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I don't know whether these dome protector inserts were original with the clocks or not. I have seen some that were "very" old that might have been there originally, but until now I don't have any literature source such as sales catalogs or ads or trade magazine articles that confirm this was a feature. Another observation is that clock bases made in the late 1800's usually were made of wood with a velour (velvet) cloth cover in the center with a spun brass cover fitted to the outside of the dome groove. The cloth was held in place with a spun brass ring, with the cloth generally being extended fully into the groove where the dome sits and that would provide protection as well.

One other thing found with many of the early domes from the 1870's up into the early 1900's, is the presence of a heavy paper strip (similar to Kraft paper) glued to the bottom edge of the domes. The strip is usually from about 1/2 inch to 5/8 inch wide and fitted so it wraps the bottom edge with an equal overlap inside and outside the dome. I have seen this not only with 400-Day clock domes but also with many oval domes on early French clocks or display domes that were used for exhibiting miniature dolls and other items. I think this form of protection was applied by the dome manufacturers to all domes made at that time. All domes made at that time were hand finished by trimming excess length, leaving sharp edges that are quite susceptible to chipping and breakage. Even with grinding the edges as is seen with many of these domes, there was still need for protection. This problem wasn't really solved until after WWII when machine-made domes with fire-polished beaded edges came into production in the 1950's.

47. lesbradley

lesbradley Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 20, 2007
    IT analyst
    Fairford, England
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    It is still not unusual for me to encounter domes with the remnants of the paper protection. Clocks that have not been 'disturbed' for sometime often have this.

48. Gonzalo

Gonzalo Registered User

Aug 15, 2009
    Country Flag:
    Hello John. I hope I am in the right thread for BHA clocks. Here are the photos of my clock. Hoppingly is a genuine one, because you never know. The serial number ,difficult to see because is below, covered by the protector, is 1058653. This clock keeps very good time ( a minute every 15 days) but the original spring is clearly affected by temperature changes.
    Best regards from Granada.

Attached Files:

49. John Hubby

Sep 7, 2000
    The Woodlands, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Gonzalo, you are in the correct thread and thanks for posting your photos. I see you are from Granada, a very beautiful place I visited in 1977 when I was living in Santander on assignment for my company. I still have beautiful memories of our visit to the Alhambra and driving through the countryside there.

If you will take a closer look at the serial number of your clock, you should find it to be 1958653, instead of 1058653. As it turns out this clock was documented about 2-1/2 years ago when it was for sale on eBay. However, your photos add more detail to what was available then.

Based on the serial number 1958653 the clock was made in 1st quarter 1907, one of a batch of about 750 clocks made for BHA. From the data collected thus far these were the first clocks made by Becker for BHA. Among this batch only two variations have been seen, being a different dial with the rest of the clock being the same. In addition to the porcelain dial on your clock, there was also a model having a flat silvered brass dial with Arabic numbers and spade hands, no ID on the dial. I've attached a photo of one of these for info. It's not a good example as the silvering is in poor condition, but it does show the different appearance of otherwise identical clocks.

Attached Files:

50. mike19258

mike19258 Registered User

Jul 17, 2010
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi I hope this is the right place for this have you any info on this clock please. also as you can see from the photos the screw in the bottom of the pendulum has been sheared off as it looks to be steel I will try a solution of alum to dissolve it. Also the pins that should hold the crown are broken off these look like they may have been brass more of a problem as I don't have the tools to drill them out without possible damage any ideas on this would be appreciated. Ser. No. is difficult to see until I strip the guard and click spring off but looks the same as is on the bottom of the pendulum 1999249 thanks Mike 149.jpg

150.jpg

151.jpg

152.jpg

153.jpg

154.jpg

155.jpg

156.jpg

157.jpg

158.jpg