Post your American made weight clocks here

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by Mike306p/Ansoniaman, Feb 13, 2011.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Mike306p/Ansoniaman

Mike306p/Ansoniaman Registered User

Jan 12, 2001
    Recently retired Police Officer 40 years
    Colorado Springs, CO.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hello everyone. Maybe we can lump the American made clocks here. Photos of the weighted ones please. Mike

2. Richard T.

Richard T. Deceased
    Deceased

Apr 7, 2005
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I guess no one wants to be first:):)

Of all the clocks that I have I don't have too many that are American and weight driven. Will start with a few. 1. Herschede nine tube. 2. Seth Thomas, Plymouth Hollow, 8 day. 3. Seth Thomas No. 2 Regulator. 4. Chelsea weight driven banjo.

Best.

Richard T. 72110.jpg 84256.jpg 84257.jpg 46871.jpg 54978.jpg 84260.jpg 84261.jpg 84262.jpg

3. Bruce Barnes

Bruce Barnes Registered User

Mar 20, 2004
    My only one,attributed to Samuel Eaton.................
    Bruce 18108.jpg

4. harold bain

harold bain Registered User
    NAWCC Member Deceased

Nov 4, 2002
    Male
    deceased
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    My model 16-7 IBM weight driven master clock:
    attachment.jpg attachment.jpg attachment.jpg
    And my IBM model 35 weight driven master clock: attachment.jpg attachment.jpg

5. jhe.1973

jhe.1973 Registered User
    NAWCC Business

Feb 12, 2011
    Arizona, USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi Everyone,

Here is my own prototype I started in January 27, 1979 and completed (sort of) March 19, 1979.

Experiments are still going on - it's a guinea pig.

Best wishes to you all.

Sincerely,

Jim 84284.jpg 84285.jpg 84286.jpg

6. owen.or

owen.or Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 26, 2000
    retired high school teacher
    Near Portland, Oregon
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    This is a Chelsea #3 Regulator from my collection with advertising on the dial for Louis Weule who made chronometers in San Francisco. David, owen.or 84318.jpg

7. Chris Radano

Chris Radano Registered User

Feb 18, 2004
    Male
    Pennsylvania
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Waltham Regulator #33 already loaded in computer. 84328.jpg 84329.jpg 84330.jpg 84331.jpg

8. harold bain

harold bain Registered User
    NAWCC Member Deceased

Nov 4, 2002
    Male
    deceased
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi, Jim, welcome to the message board. Very nice looking regulator. Good timekeeper, no doubt?

9. jhe.1973

jhe.1973 Registered User
    NAWCC Business

Feb 12, 2011
    Arizona, USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #9 jhe.1973, Feb 15, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2011
    Hello Harold,

Thank you for the welcome & the compliment.;)

It seems to be a good timekeeper - but I never got around to temperature compensation for the pendulum.

I was going to use invar, but now I am looking into fused quartz. Oh well, someday.

If I remember right, I found it accurate to 1 1/2 seconds in 3 weeks just after I built it. We had an old Victorian house at the time and I was lucky that the inside temp. stayed very stable during those 3 weeks.

Somehow life has gotten in the way since then and my experiments with it have been on & off through the years.

Late tomorrow night I have to leave for a road trip so I may not be back here for a couple of weeks - but I will get back.

Is that a threat or what?:D

Best wishes to you all.

Sincerely,

Jim

P.S. I've been a NAWCC member since 1976 and when I get back I would like to learn how to log in as a member & use the cool little banner just like a real person.:}

10. rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

rmarkowitz1_cee4a1 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Country Flag:
    This is not a criticism, but just trying to be honest with everyone and to seek a clarification. Yes, I've disabled the smiley faces in the text.

I enthusiastically applaud the thought behind this thread! I readily acknowledge some interesting stuff has been posted. I know I'm absolutely desparate to see and read about something in addition to the what appears to be the inexhaustable supple of posts of another clock by the prolific Gebruderjughanskenzlekundomautheschatzbecker Company and oh yes could you please identify and look up the serial number.

However, there are American weight driven clocks in other threads, including those concerning specific makers. Yes, may have to search, but they're there. Such a broad category has been proposed. Do we really wish to "lump" American clocks in one place? Is there a more specific theme? I kind of like how examples of member's experimentation with weight driven movements have been posted. Please clarify.

RM

11. bajaddict

bajaddict Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 23, 2010
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    My O G...... 'er maybe ogee, not quite sure yet about the subtle difference.

She need's going through. I've got a boatload of tools on my birthday wish list, I'll buy the rest and get to work.

She runs now, but gets confused as to when to strike.

View attachment 4803

12. Steven Thornberry

Steven Thornberry User Administrator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    In accordance with the requirements of the SDA (Smilies with Disabilities Act), I have taken the liberty of re-enabling the disabled smilies (and a couple of frownies, as well) in my quote of RM's post. His intention is not to belittle either non-American made clocks or their collectors and admirers, but rather to encourage those with American-made clocks not to be so shy but to post them more often.

RM's request for clarification is well taken, but one of the problems with a thread of this nature is that it must be a catch-all. Our threads are not capable of subcategorization; so, the "narrower" a thread's focus the better, to the extent that this resource plays a modest role in horological research.

However, as a simple "curio cabinet" of American weight-driven clocks, it can serve as a nice "picture book." Unfortunately as threads hit the second page of the forum, they tend to fade in popular memory.

13. rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

rmarkowitz1_cee4a1 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Country Flag:
    Thanks Steve!!

As I read your reply, I definately wore a smilie face ;):D

One thing that might be considered would be to include links in this thread to previous postings of weight driven clocks, sort of adding the function of an entry point for those whom might wish to explore further, post additional examples, and maybe something that hasn't been shared before? Some of those previous postings have rather detailed info and additional links to references, etc. :p:cool:

I also agree with the suggestion that MB participants post more of their American clocks :Party::}

RM :mad: :eek::eek::=

14. Mike306p/Ansoniaman

Mike306p/Ansoniaman Registered User

Jan 12, 2001
    Recently retired Police Officer 40 years
    Colorado Springs, CO.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Ok I do not understand. Do you want me to cancel my post? I see where some may think it is a duplication of effort. Key word here is, AMERICAN. Not that I do not like others but as has been stated,lump together American weight clocks is all my intention was. There are numerous others yes, Waterbury,Gilbert,Ansonia and others. The German ones ie; Lenkirch, Gustav Becker,etc. are not included here, they are in the other thread.That is why, Do we really need another . Simple answer, Yes.
    I see them as you put it, in other threads such as post your weight driven clocks if that was the title and it includes German Etc. I have many German weighted clocks, 1, 2 and 3 weighters.That is not the issue here. I wanted to see the AMERICAN weight driven clocks. I was wanting to see / study American weight clocks. Where are they all at spread all over or in the same post? This would be a place to store/find our members contributions , make it fun, maybe...guess not.
    Where are they at the same time for reference. They are being spread apart and all over the place ? Do you want me to search for them individually?
    What am I missing here ? Don't get me wrong we can not always agree. But if you like I can withdraw this if its a duplicated effort. Notice, no smile , razz ,roll eyes or anything here from me...I have fun here reading and learning. I try to help where and when I can . Mike

15. Steven Thornberry

Steven Thornberry User Administrator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    By all means, keep the thread open, and let's see where it leads. There are threads that might constitute duplication of effort, but which serve their own unique purposes.

16. Dave B

Dave B Banned

Jun 7, 2008
    Civil Engineer; woodwind musician; clock repairman
    Westminster. MD
    Country Flag:
    Ok - Here are two American weight clocks that are at the Longmeadow (Mass) Historical Society. One made by the Enfield Shaker Community in Enfield, Conn in 1835; and one with an unknown Connecticut wood movement in a case made by David White of Longmeadow.

Fifth and sixth photos are my tall clock, with an unknown Connecticut thirty hour wood movement. In David Booth, Schoolmaster's handwriting on the back of the clock is written, "White made the case for $7.00"; and stenciled on the back is "David Booth his clock Longmeadow 1805." (He was my great X 4 grandfather).

The one standing next to it is a Pearl, but I don't think it qualifies as "American" because it has a Hermle movement.

In previewing this post, I suddenly realized I used to have the same wall paper in my living room that they have in the upstairs bedroom of the Historical Society. Small world. ;) 60990.jpg 60991.jpg 84462.jpg 84463.jpg 60979.jpg 84466.jpg

17. phinegan

phinegan Registered User

Jul 9, 2009
    My Seth Thomas OG showing off its label, and my recently overhauled pillar and scroll.

Regards -

Dan 84486.jpg 84487.jpg

18. R. Croswell

R. Croswell Registered User

Apr 4, 2006
    Male
    Trappe, Md.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Russel Coe bevel case (flat OG). Clock purchased July, 2006. Weight driven 30-hour wood movement. Manufactured by Russel Coe, 87 Peal Street, New York. Little information is available about the maker. Probably purchased movements from another maker. Wooden dial, movement, pendulum, hands, and upper glass are old and possibly original. Mirror is a newer replacement. Based on identifying physical characteristics, I believe the wooden movement was most likely made by Elisha Hotchkiss - Hotchkiss & Fields. Circa 1835-1840. Pictures show the clock before any work was done to it. 84866.jpg 84867.jpg 84868.jpg

19. Kevin W.

Kevin W. Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 11, 2002
    I work at the Veritas Tools machine shop.
    Nepean, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #19 Kevin W., Feb 20, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2011
    I dont have many weight driven American clocks, but i will get them posted .I like what i have seen so far nice clocks.

20. My Wooden Works "Hotchkiss" - Pillar and Splat
    https://mb.nawcc.org/album/thumbs/2/f68c7926ce3813993fd4a7adedfee77e_2196.jpg?dl=1298295294

21. Peter A. Nunes

Peter A. Nunes Moderator
    NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member Sponsor

Mar 3, 2006
    Male
    Restorer of antique clocks.
    Rhode Island
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Dave, what sort of provenance identifies the Longmeadow clock as Shaker? Do you have photos of the movement?

Secondly, do you have photos of your unidentified Connecticut wood movement in the Booth case? I may be able to help identify it for you. Has it been posted here on the message board previously? Thanks.

22. laumeg

laumeg Registered User

Jan 22, 2011
    Retired, health care
    Houston, Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi, I have been looking as some of the clocks, and thought I would post my Seth Thomas wood works, collum splat clock. This was my first weight driven clock purchased about 7-8 months ago. I purchased it at an estate sale down the block, did not really know much about it, but I liked it and was familiar with Seth Thomas. It was later that I found out it had a wood works movement. I then researched Eli Terry and began to appreciate what I had bought.

I unfortunately do not have a pictue of the movement, but do have other pictures. The case had been partially refinished. The wood face is origional and as far as I can tell un-retouched. The reverse painting has had a partial restoration. The bottom half is origional, and the upper copies the origional design (actually painted over and along the paint that remained) My brother restored the wood works and had to have 3 gears worked on or replaced. Today it works perfectly.

This clock and my research on it really got me hooked onto weight driven clocks. I have purchased 2 og clocks, Ansonia and Waterbury. Both og clocks are still being worked on. And finally, I know its not American, but my Scottish Tall Case dating to early 1800s

Its been fun learing about these clocks and learning to get them back into nice restored condition. Charles :) 82225.jpg 82226.jpg 86253.jpg 86254.jpg 85919.jpg 82104.jpg 86259.jpg