• The NAWCC Museum and Library & Research Center will reopen starting Wednesday, January 6, 2021 as per Governor Wolf's reopening mandate.

Post some of your Coin silver pocket watch cases

jboger

Jan 7, 2019
Country
Here are pictures of two watches, a Hampden Lafayette model in a 5 oz case, so marked, and a Waltham Model 1857 in what I believe is a 6 oz case. It is not marked with an indication of weight. The only markings on the 6 oz case are the serial number (3124) and Warranted Coin Silver. The Hampden case has a 5 in a cartouche; it's a Keystone case. The cuvette is engraved "Presented by Father and Mother to Son Hiram Mudge Miller April 17, 1883". I suspect that's a birthdate, and so it may be possible to identify Hiram.

The Waltham movement is not original to the case as I had bought the empty case in a pawn shop on the Eastern Shore of Maryland perhaps 15 years ago or so. I put the Model 1857 in there. You will note that the one case screw lines up perfectly with a mark left in the case, so perhaps the case originally held this model.

I scrolled through all the postings. The largest size case I saw was 6 oz. unless I missed something. Someone referred to a 10 oz. case. I did not know such a size existed. I have heard of 8 oz. cases, never saw one, but 10 oz. is getting to the point of not being practical. I'd like to see one.

IMG_1426.jpg IMG_1427.jpg IMG_1428.jpg IMG_1429.jpg IMG_1430.jpg IMG_1431.jpg

jboger

Jan 7, 2019
Country
Well, I found Hiram Mudge Miller on Find-a-Grave. He was born 17 April 1866 in Williamsport, PA. He's buried in the Pacific Crest Cemetery in Redondo Beach, CA. Given that my watch has the same day of month, I would say we found our man. He turned 17 when his parents gave him this watch. Thank you, Find-a-Grave.

jboger

Jan 7, 2019
Country
I did a bit more poking around in Find-a-Grave. I find reconstructing a family tree something like solving a crossword puzzle. Anyway, I figured Hiram's middle name (Mudge) was a last name and that he was named after someone on his mother's side of the family, assuming she was a Mudge. So I searched for any Mudge in Williamsport, Pa, where Hiram was born. Sure enough I found a Hiram Mudge, who lived from 1822 to 1897; he's buried in the Williamsport cemetery. I suspect he was an uncle on the mother's side, not a grandfather as he was 44 when the original owner of my watch was born. This rapidly gets confusing, that is, tracing these lineages. But Uncle Hiram had a daughter Jean who lived from 1861 to 1936. If I'm right--and I think I am--that would make Jean cousin to Hiram. Curiously, they--Hiram Mudge Miller and Jean Mudge--are both buried in Los Angeles. They both went west. Since she is buried under her maiden name, I assume she never married. I bought Hiram's watch quite a while ago via eBay. The seller was located in California. It would seem my watch also went west. Thereby hangs a tale. Interesting what one can reconstruct.

Reactions: vintageguy

Jerry Treiman

NAWCC Member
Aug 25, 2000
Los Angeles, CA
Country
Region
I just received this one today - a 14-size Am.Watch Co. coin silver hunting case. It comes with a 7-jewel American Watch Co. "Bond St." movement. I bought it for the lovely case with very little wear, as I have a higher grade 1884 model that is currently naked. Unfortunately I failed to pay attention to the 1888 inscription and realized it would not work out for my ca.1890 movement, but I am sure I will either find a more appropriate movement one day or just enjoy this one as is.
3255585.jpg

Also, not too long ago, I bought a very nice 1-size Waltham in coin silver (plain-polished case on the right). The engine-turned 1-size on the left is one I have had for many years. Both are A.W.W.Co cases.
1-size cases.jpg

Know Your NAWCC Forums Rules!
RULES & GUIDELINES

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nibsey
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit