Post alarm clocks and other small clocks here

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by chrsvor25, May 14, 2008.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Kim St.Dennis Sr.

Kim St.Dennis Sr. Registered User
    NAWCC Member Deceased

Mar 20, 2003
    Male
    Clock Restorer
    Los Angeles
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Your right, I miss read the dial. The Carriage Alarm Clock is called the Artist by Seth Thomas. Several clock companies also offered this Alarm Clock.

2. dutch

dutch Registered User

Jan 6, 2003
    Retired
    Oxnard,CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I love that drum clock. I have never seen one.

3. rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

rmarkowitz1_cee4a1 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Country Flag:
    I guess I'm stretching things a bit with this post. So I'll start with my apology, saying, well, it is a small alarm....

Just looks like a little walnut box with a small brass strip protruding through a slot on the viewers left side. The lid is hinged and secured with a brass hook.

It is an alarm, a burgler alarm, made using a standard CT shelf clock alarm movement and cast iron bell. I believe it to be a factory made piece, not something someone created by someone from parts.

It is wound up and placed at the base of door. If an intruder opens the door, the brass strip is pushed in, releasing the alarm movement's hammer. An incredible racket ensues. I've tried it. Note the gilt ink on glazed blue paper label on the underside of the lid. No marks or maker's name.

RM

Attached Files:

4. glr1109

glr1109 Registered User

Jun 2, 2002
    Clock Repairman
    Genoa, NY
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    pretty cool, RM!!

greg

5. rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

NAWCC Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Country Flag:
    Thanks!

RM

6. ticktock19852004

ticktock19852004 Registered User

Apr 5, 2007
    Post Your Novelty Clocks Here!

Hello!

Please post pictures of your novelty clocks here. Any kind.

Clock 1. China case 30 hour time only novelty clock
    Clock 2. 30 hour black forest novelty cuckoo. High quality movement for a novelty clock. Pin escapement. Barreled mainspring. Mainspring barrel is comparable in size to a watch barrel. Original threaded pendulum and key
    Ca. 1890-1900. Clock size is: 2.5 in wide and 4.5 inches tall. Very accurate time keeper

Thanks!

Neal

Attached Files:

7. Jeremy Woodoff

Jeremy Woodoff Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 30, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Re: Post Your Novelty Clocks Here!

Great category, Neal! I have lots of novelty clocks. Here are some, to start:

1. Ansonia No. 3 Jumper
    2. Tensor clock lamp
    3. Gilbert Belfry rolling bell alarm
    4. Lithographed picture frame by Gilbert Novelty (not Clock) Co., Lux movement
    5. Terry Clock Co. for Lovell Mfg. Co., bronze case, luminous dial alarm with visible escapement
    6. "Wig-Wag" cat clock by Lux, moving eyes and tail
    7. Tiny Yale clock with visible balance wheel
    8. Hallmark glass pocket watch form clock, chain not shown
    9. Fuji "Diana" swinger from the 1960s
    10. Clock-lamp, E. Ingraham Co. pocket-watch size movement

side view.jpg Tensor small.jpg Belfry from front.JPG Litho clock overall.jpg Luminous overall.JPG front view.jpg IMG_3392.JPG Hallmark.jpg Fuji Swinger.jpg IMG_3657.JPG

Floyd's Grandson likes this.
  8. owen.or

owen.or Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 26, 2000
    retired high school teacher
    Near Portland, Oregon
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

Here is a trio of Ansonia miniature Royal Bonn China clocks . They are color variations of the "Actor" model. I thought I had finally acquired all of the mini Royal Bonns listed in Tran's 1998 Ansonia book when I recently located an example of the "Gipsy" model. Then I went back to peruse the book one more time. Unfortunately I discovered I did not have an example of "Graphic". So it's back to the drawing board. Any leads? Also pictured is an Ansonia "Adria". All are 30hr. David "owen.or"

Attached Files:

9. Steven Thornberry

Steven Thornberry User Administrator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:

I have only a few and I'm not sure which are photographed, but here is one that is. It is marked on "PAT. APL'D. FOR" on the back of the case. I have found no other markings. Movement also unmarked, but it is a deadbeat anchor escapement, judging by shape of pallets and direction of EW. I have seen this same case in Swedberg's Encyclopedia of Antique American Clocks, where it is listed as being marked "Sears, Roebuck & Co., Pat. Applied for" on the back of the case.

10. ticktock19852004

Apr 5, 2007

I have the maroon/pinkish gazelle. I'll post a pic later. Camera is being used.
    -> posts merged by system <-
    Hello!

Steve, i'll check my Sears Roebuck Catalog from 1903 and see if it is in there. It seems like to me it was, or something very similar.
    Thanks!

Neal

11. Robert Gary

Robert Gary Member, NAWCC Board of Directors
    Director NAWCC Member

Feb 26, 2003
    Male
    Southern California
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

Guys:

What is the definition of "Novelty Clock"?

RobertG

12. ticktock19852004

Apr 5, 2007

Hello!

Novelty clocks in my definition are small, inexpensive mechanical clocks. Usually time only, although I have seen a very limited number of them that have a strike train. Examples would be Lux, Holovar flying ball clock, paper weight clocks, "bouncing girl" or "swinging girl" clocks, miniature cuckoos, miniature grandfather clocks..etc.

Thanks!

Neal
    Hello!

Here a a few more of mine

pic 1. Large and small "bouncy girl" clocks
    pic 2. Miniature grandfather clocks.
    pic 3. Royal Bonn "Gazelle"

Thanks!

Neal

000_0082.jpg 000_0083.jpg 000_0085.jpg

13. ticktock19852004

Apr 5, 2007

Steven,
    You clock is in my 1903 Sears and Roebuck Catalog. Here is the description:

"A clock such as has never been offered before for the money. This beautiful bronze clock, solid metal through and through, standing 12 inches high and 91/2 inches broad, weighing when boxed about 7lbs., at the unheard of price of $1.10 in bronze, $1.25 in full guilt. The movement is a fine lever escapement movement, oil tempered steel parts and hand wrought brass parts, conical pivots,the hair spring agate drawn; runs for 36 hours with one winding; in fact, a movement we guarantee to give absolute satisfaction. The case is a masterpiece, representing the emblems of Hope and Plenty. Hope being represented by a heroic figure of a woman with Greek drapery, resting her hand upon a cornucopia that represents Plenty. The base of the clock is made up of three graceful scrolls meeting at the base upon which the figure of Hope stands. The parts are brought out by a beautiful wreath of roses in strong relief connects the two designs, that of Hope and Plenty. To sell this clock at this unheard of low price, a price that does not represent one-half its true value, we had to contract with the factory that makes them in such large quantities that the price of a single one is practically lost sight of. The design was executed by ourselves and is copy wrights. It cannot be produced elsewhere. If the clock is not of the greatest bargain that you have ever seen or heard of, and if it does not in every way, shape and manner come up to our description and thoroughly satisfy you, return it to us and we will refund you the entire amount of your remittance."

Sears, Roebuck and Co.

Thanks!

Neal

14. Steven Thornberry

NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:

Neal: Many thanks for the description! If Mr. Sears and Mr. Roebuck had bothered to name the maker of the movement and case, I would be happier, but what you have given is interesting in deed. Thanks again. The movement is quite nice.

15. Richard T.

Richard T. Deceased
    Deceased

Apr 7, 2005
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

A few novelty clocks.............

Richard T.

009.jpg 003.jpg 005.jpg 006.jpg

16. Steven Thornberry

NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:

A clock lamp made by A. Schadow and Sons, 353 Canal St., NYC, for James Radin Inc., with a lever movement by Ingraham. I have seen a number of Schadow clock lamps, but know nothing about the company or about James Radin. The globe is not original but looks good.

This thread is now in the sticky at the top of the forum.

17. Richard T.

Richard T. Deceased
    Deceased

Apr 7, 2005
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

A few more..........

German, Wt in center, Two spring driven.jpg Lux Clock Co..jpg Lux Keebler Pendulettes.jpg Small Quartz Clocks.jpg

18. oxblood2

oxblood2 Registered User

Mar 4, 2008

Here is a Seth Thomas' Sons Candlestick Time and Strike.
    Oxblood2

Attached Files:

19. rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

NAWCC Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Country Flag:
    Thought I would post a small timepiece alarm.

What I liked about this clock besides being in nice condition save for some wear and tear on the dial is that it is essentially a miniature "walnut", just under 13 inches tall. I have it standing next to a more standard sized "walnut" for comparison.

I believe the case to be well proportioned. When seeing the clock by itself, it's hard to tell it's a miniature. I also like the Eastlake carving on the case, the original silver transfer decorated tablet depicting plants and flowers with ducks taking flight, and a Greek key lower decorative boarder. Note the two tone pendulum bob.

The remains of the small paper label on the outside back board is dark and illegible. However, this clock is pictured in Tran's Gilbert Clocks, page 323, figure 1145. It is called the "Cute" and I think rather appropriately named.

RM

Attached Files:

20. ticktock19852004

Apr 5, 2007

Hello!

Thank you for posting your novelty clocks! All of them are great looking clocks. I enjoyed looking at them!

Thanks!

Neal

21. rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

NAWCC Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Country Flag:

I'm posting 2 clocks that I guess would qualify as novelties?

The first is a time piece called the Plymouth Rock.

The case is cast iron molded to look like a rustic stone arch (Chris Bailey called it a "pile of rocks" which is probably a more accurate description) overgrown with ivy with its original bronze colored surface. The back is wood with a paper label that does not mention the maker or place of manufacture.

The 8 day brass spring driven time only movement is typical of the type found in Terry Clock Company iron cased clocks.

An identical clock is reported by Chris Bailey in http://nawcc.org/images/stories/2000/articles/2008/374/374_286.pdf on page 304, figures 41A-B. Remember, to access this link, you must be a member of the NAWCC and logged in.

I should point out that this clock bears absolutely no resemblance whatsoever to the Plymouth Rock in Plymouth, MA!

The next clock is a 30 hour time piece called "The Terregina Clock".

The architectonic case, which resembles the Terry Clock Company cast iron cased "Chapel" model, (also see above reference) is instead made out of what appears to be redware. The gold painted surface is original. The backboard is wood and bears a bright orange paper label stating that it is a product of the Terregina Clock Company of Boston, MA. Not much information out there about this company. I have never observed any other Terregina Clock Company products except for a couple of other examples of this clock.

The 30 hour brass spring driven time only movement is also a typical Terry Clock Company product.

I've seen only a couple of other examples of this clock. In all instances, the cases were repainted and damaged, as the redware is rather fragile. So, one thing that appealed to me about this clock is that it has survived in rather good condition with some appropriate wear to the gold paint.

IMG_2158.JPG IMG_2159.JPG IMG_2160.JPG IMG_2161.JPG IMG_2162.JPG IMG_2163.JPG

22. R. Croswell

R. Croswell Registered User

Apr 4, 2006
    Male
    Trappe, Md.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

This is about the only "novelty" clock that I have. I think I posted it before some month's ago in a different topic. It's an original Dungan & Klump model II Dickory Dickory Doc "Mouse Clock" circa 1910. Someone relettered the face years ago but the works are the original. It's running now, but during the struggle to get it running reliably I have to admit that "novelty" is that exactly the first descriptive adjective that came to mind! The clock strikes every hour and at "one" the mouse runs down.

If anyone is seeing more of this clock I have it on my web site.

http://www.greenfieldstore.com/clocks/mouse.html

Bob C.

Attached Files:

23. tholle

tholle Registered User

Aug 24, 2009
    retired teacher
    Southwest Missouri
    Phinney Walker Travel Alarm - Mickey Mouse

Hi everyone!
    Today stumbled across a folding Phinney Walker Travel Alarm with Mickey Mouse. It has 3" yellow round case shell made in Japan. Trademark Walt Disney Productions. Mickey's hands are off white, shoes are yellow, numbers on dial are red, dial face is white. Movement is windup probably 30 hr.

Can anyone give me additional info on possible date for this? Thank you in advance:D

Tracy
    Missouri

More info, this alarm is in good working order runs and keeps good time. The case is in good to very good condition

24. Shelley Watson

Shelley Watson Registered User

Sep 29, 2010
    graphic designer
    Country Flag:
    Alarm Clock - Singing bird, Emil Brenk - Germany

https://mb.nawcc.org/picture.php?albumid=323&pictureid=1944
    Alarm Clock - Singing bird, Emil Brenk - Germany

I have no idea if these clocks are collectible, but I am very fascinated.
    I can only locate 1 other clock like it & was told there is virtually no record of this clock ever being sold.
    I am SO curious. Why can't I get more information on it - who did he make it for? Was it made for a special event or person?
    I just wish I knew more about this one.

25. Woodmonger

Woodmonger Registered User

Mar 11, 2010
    Retired Industrial Technology Teacher
    Fremont, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Gebr. Staiher small music box alarm.

I picked up this little gem for my grand daughter. It plays a German tune on a music box drum as the alarm. I don't know what the song is. I cleaned and oiled it and it runs great.

Attached Files:

26. Colo Tom

Colo Tom Registered User

Oct 16, 2007
    Rocky Mountain West
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Niiiice RM,i love the size!, but I have two questions,

1) what is in the picture on the wall
    and forgive my newbiness but is the alarm key hole at 10 oclick unusual?
    Never saw that before.

Good looking clock, I bet she gets to know that tune intimately by the time the school year is over.:p

27. Woodmonger

Mar 11, 2010
    Fremont, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    That is a beauty. Thanks

28. Woodmonger

Mar 11, 2010
    Fremont, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks, She is only 2 years old and really loves it. I have recorded the tune and asked a few folks of German decent is they know it. So far no luck. The clock is only 4.5 inches tall, or short however you might consider it. Perfect for a little one.

29. Jeremy Woodoff

NAWCC Member

Jun 30, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

Ansonia "Night Light No. 1." Translucent glass dial, original gilt finish, 30-hour movement marked "Ansonia."

Attached Files:

30. Oldfathertime

Oldfathertime Registered User

Sep 8, 2010
    Retired Farmer.
    S.West U.K.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

Here's a novelty clock in the true sense of the word. Just acquired this one. It came in it's original plain cardboard box together with the original guarrantee. Not sure of what it's supposed to represent, a man leaning against a lamp-post, he may be drunk? It is called a 'Villya' clock, very simple German key wind movement pendulum driven. It is 8" in overall height, probably dates back to the 1960's and also probably just a bit of junk but it does work, is ticking away merrily and keeping time.

Novelty Clock. 01..JPG Novelty Clock. 02..JPG Novelty Clock. 03..JPG

31. Robert Gary

Robert Gary Member, NAWCC Board of Directors
    Director NAWCC Member

Feb 26, 2003
    Male
    Southern California
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

How is this one of my daughter's?

RobertG

Attached Files:

32. swankyman

swankyman Registered User

Nov 5, 2006
    A, A
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

Chimney sweeper

Attached Files:

33. Burkhard Rasch

Burkhard Rasch Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 1, 2007
    Male
    General-and trauma surgeon
    Twistringen
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

Some of mine: a 1960ies Schatz8 day,a 1970ies Schmidt beauty with a tictac escapement,a 1960ies fake torsion clock and a 1970ies time-only "cuckoo"
    Burkhard

Attached Files:

34. Jay

Jay Registered User

Dec 12, 2007
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

A Badische clock...runs and is quite accurate-

Muhlheim and Mueller (sp) Lion Trademark

Forgive the Mouse Drummer.... he has to live someplace.

Attached Files:

35. Steven Thornberry

NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:

A Lux inkwell (or perhaps better inkstand) clock (movement is signed), a modest example of the kind, recently acquired off eBay. I need to find actual inkwells to complete the set.

36. bajaddict

bajaddict Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 23, 2010
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

Just got her today:

94.jpg

37. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    North Carolina
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

Here's some of my favorites

Attached Files:

38. cazboy

cazboy Registered User

Apr 27, 2006
    Retired!
    Prescott Valley, Arizona
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

Hey Richard T, on that first pic (the one with three little clocks) - are those "Schilduhr" clocks? I have one like the middle one - won it on one of the holiday contests here!
    Here's a few of mine. A Schilduhr that I won here on this message board about a year ago or so, my "Father Time" clock, an English compound-pendulum gravity clock and a Kit-Kat clock. The Kit-Kat runs on wall current, not on batteries like the later ones.

Attached Files:

39. Steven Thornberry

NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    A couple of recent purchases. The first a small Wedgwood clock with a New Haven movement. Tran's NH book shows several of these, but not this particular one, ca. 1900. It was for my wife, who collects Wedgwood, particularly those pieces with the Aurora figure on them.

The second is a Bradley Hubbard desk clock, with the logo on the back of the movement cover. Movement may be by Waterbury, but I'm not at all sure. I'm open to suggestions.

Attached Files:

40. rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

NAWCC Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Country Flag:
    First my apologies for this belated response to your inquiry. I lost track of this thread and didn't see your questions until I went back looking for something else during some "down time" in the course of my day today.

Thanks for your kind comment.

The picture on the wall is a vintage photo of some kid mauling clocks I guess in the belief he was repairing them. The tools available to him are a pliers, a big screw driver and a hammer. Various clocks with their entrails hanging out are on his work bench. Must have joined the NAWCC. If you like, I can post a picture of that.

The winding arbour at 10 oclock is for the alarm. Agree not typical place.

RM

41. Steven Thornberry

NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:

It's kind of a silly day at our place, so here are a couple of playthings: a lux inkwell clock and a jewelry box clock with New Haven movement, wehther marketed by NH or not, I don't know. I suspect they simply provided the movement. Tran's Gilbert book has a section on jewelry boxes, including a couple with clocks, but I've not seen such in another of his books, if memory serves.

42. MDean

MDean Registered User

Jun 7, 2010
    Retired Elec. Eng.
    Northwest Louisiana
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

I just picked up this Ed.Herr Sőhne miniature weight/chain driven clock at an estate sale today. Only needed to get the dirt/cobwebs out and oil it and now it is running fine. This clock is 7 inches high. Unfortunately someone made some bad repairs with hot glue and inserted nails from the front. I plan to correct those problems.

I have seen references that Eduard Herr Sőhne made some clocks in the early 1900s. I have seen a 1925 reference in the June 2010 Clocks Magazine of which I have a copy. That article related to the Schotten movements though.

Would this miniature most likely be 1920s?

Emit

Attached Files:

43. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    North Carolina
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

It does look old. The weight looks huge for the size of the clock and movement though. I will have to say that many old cuckoo's had heavy weights though. For reference, here's one I have in house. The weight is about 3.5" by .75". There was no saving the movement, so it was replaced. I think your clock is quite a bit older than this one.

Attached Files:

44. MDean

MDean Registered User

Jun 7, 2010
    Retired Elec. Eng.
    Northwest Louisiana
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

Shutterbug, Thanks for posting your example. Very interesting to see the same basic design and yet see the subtle and significant differences in how it was done.

The weight on my clock is 4" by 1". It does seems to need that weight to run properly. It is still running this morning!

45. Jeremy Woodoff

NAWCC Member

Jun 30, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

I recently posted this one on the 400-day board, as I bought it along with a real Louvre-style 400-day clock. This one, in a miniature Louvre- or bandstand-style case about 8 1/2 inches high, has a one-day pendulum movement marked Sokol, Montag & Co., Germany, an importer of clocks by different manufacturers. I think it is from the 1930s. The dome is missing, and the pendulum is probably a newer replacement. The case seems to have been originally done in two tones, with the columns, flat top, finials, and bezel in polished brass and the dome and base in dark bronze-colored brass. The dial has a beveled glass cover.

I've been able to find only one other similar clock on-line, but it is quite a bit larger and has an 8-day, front-wind movement.

I'd be interested to see any other examples of this type, a catalog illustration, or guess as to the maker.

The last picture shows it next to the full-size Louvre-style 400 day clock.

Attached Files:

46. Jeremy Woodoff

NAWCC Member

Jun 30, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

Post clean-up, you can better see the intent of the two-tone finish:

Attached Files:

47. Beach Bum

Beach Bum Registered User

Apr 26, 2012
    Bringing back this old thread from the grave! I just bought this little alarm clock at a garage sale. Works great, made in Germany, has the square instrument dial that is becoming more and more popular on watches. Anyhow, wanted to share:

125.jpg
    126.jpg
    127.jpg
    128.jpg

48. eskmill

eskmill Registered User
    NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member

Aug 24, 2000
    Region Flag:
    Welcome to the NAWCC Message Board Beach Bum.

We'd like to see your photos. I know you tried and it's a very frustrating and seemingly overly complicated process to attach a picture file. The complication is mainly on account of the need to store your picture(s) in a catalog with an index and it gets kinda complicated.

Try again or perhaps one of the moderators will give you a hand. We really do want to see what you have to show.

49. soaringjoy

soaringjoy Registered User

Feb 12, 2009
    Germany, North Rhine-Westphalia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Welcome to the Message Board, Beach Bum.
    I see, you've worked out the pics uploading fine already.
    Your clock was made by Uhrenfabrik Senden, Fischen/Allgäu.
    They were in business from ca. 1948 to 1996.

50. Beach Bum

Beach Bum Registered User

Apr 26, 2012
    I copied as image files from photobucket. I can see them fine as can moderator. I wonder why you can't view it??

When back on laptop later i will attach pictures the traditional way.