Possible early Gustav Becker mantle clock

Discussion in '400-Day & Atmos' started by g0bco, Feb 21, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. g0bco

g0bco Registered User

Feb 21, 2020
    Male
    Country Flag:
    IMG_1439.jpg IMG_1438.jpg IMG_1444.jpg IMG_1443.jpg IMG_1442.jpg IMG_1441.jpg IMG_1440.jpg
    I was left this clock in1970. It came from my grandfathers estate who lived and worked in London and was employed in the City Of London Docks as a clerk and then a manager.
    I have often wondered where it came from and who made it and only because of the internet that I found your very informative forum.
    The clock was serviced and a new support wire fitted about 30 years ago and the stored on top of a cupboard (not wound). The movement works ok and keeps good time.
    Looking at the serial number 53956 on the movement matches that of the pedulum. This looks like the number relates to 1860.
    I would be very grateful if anyone could give me any information about this clock. I have searched the internet but cant find any cases that look like this one. There are no makers marks anywhere on the case or movement.
    Thank you.
    Alec

2. KurtinSA

KurtinSA Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 24, 2014
    Aerospace Engineer (Ret.)
    San Antonio, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Welcome to the message board! Nice looking clock but it's not a Gustav Becker. As I often do (!) my guess is that it is a Hauck. Others will have specifics that help with dating...but it will probably be sometime in the 1900s.

Kurt

3. etmb61

etmb61 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Oct 25, 2010
    Retired Avionics Technician
    Mascoutah, IL
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    That's a JUF clock, c1907. I think the Jahres-Uhr trade catalog even shows that model, but I don't have it in front of me right now. I would say the key is the original type too.

Very nice.
    Eric

4. g0bco

g0bco Registered User

Feb 21, 2020
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Thank you for speedy reply

5. g0bco

g0bco Registered User

Feb 21, 2020
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Thanks for your speedy reply

6. John Hubby

John Hubby Senior Administrator Emeritus
    Staff Member NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Life Member

Sep 7, 2000
    The Woodlands, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Eric is correct, JUF c. 1907, Plate 1047-G. The "G" is my designation to note presence of that letter at the lower left corner of the back plate. Made about April 1907 based on the serial number, the only thing I see missing is the suspension guard which would have been the Andreas Huber 1904 patent tubular guard with flared bottom.

This is model No. 251 in the 1910 Jahres-Uhr catalog that Eric mentioned, the second of these in my data with a JUF movement. The other one has a front-wind JUF movement that is not listed in the Repair Guide, that was made in late 1906. That movement was sold to Claude Grivolas by JUF and installed in the No. 251 case.

These evidently are relatively rare, I now have only three of them in my database. The first has a Ph. Hauck movement made in second half 1906, the second was the above JUF front wind movement sold to Grivolas in late 1906, the third is yours with a JUF movement made in first half 1907. If anyone else has one of these in their collection will very much appreciate your posting of photos here for documentation.

Your clock is in excellent condition, both of the other two have a small split in the case at the center of the front above and below the dial. Congratulations on being the owner of such a beautiful 400-Day clock!

PatH likes this.
  7. g0bco

g0bco Registered User

Feb 21, 2020
    Male
    Country Flag:

8. g0bco

g0bco Registered User

Feb 21, 2020
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Thank you all for such wonderful information. I had no idea this was such a rare item. I have always thought that the condition was excellent and also a good looking clock. I had better get it valued and added to the home insurance!
    My family will be very please with the results.
    I am very overwhelmed by the knowledge of all the members of this forum.
    an I give you anymore information or photos for your Database ?
    Best regards
    Alec

9. John Hubby

Sep 7, 2000
    The Woodlands, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Alec, it would be good if you could post photos of the side and rear of the case with the door closed, so all can see how it is constructed. Otherwise what you posted is good.

10. KurtinSA

KurtinSA Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 24, 2014
    Aerospace Engineer (Ret.)
    San Antonio, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    In case it wasn't stated, JUF is short for Jahresurhen Fabrik, which essentially means year clock factory. JUF was the forerunner to the Schatz clocks which showed up about mid century.

Kurt

11. MUN CHOR-WENG

MUN CHOR-WENG Registered User

Sep 5, 2000
    Country Flag:
    Two clocks ( picture shown below) with very similar casing to the one shown above were on display at the 2003 Time Symposium in St Louis. I believe John Hubby can tell us more about these two clocks.

Mun C W

DSCN1584.JPG

12. John Hubby

Sep 7, 2000
    The Woodlands, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Mun, thanks for posting. Those were both my clocks at the time and also the only ones found up to that date. They are now two of three known examples with the posting of g0bco's clock. The label in front of the one to the left is not the correct one.

The clock on the left is the one with a JUF front wind movement that was sold to Claude Grivolas, who installed it in the model No. 251 case with a Grivolas dial. Both the movement and the pendulum are stamped with a Grivolas serial number. The one on the right has a Ph. Hauck movement also in the No. 251 case, the only one so far known with a Hauck movement.

13. g0bco

g0bco Registered User

Feb 21, 2020
    Male
    Country Flag:
    IMG_1445.jpg IMG_1446.jpg IMG_1447.jpg IMG_1448.jpg

PatH likes this.
  14. g0bco

g0bco Registered User

Feb 21, 2020
    Male
    Country Flag:
    The clock shown at the auction mentioned was sold today for £420.00 plus fees.