Possible Dan Patch Pocket Watch?

Discussion in 'American Pocket Watches' started by Bill Anderson, Mar 12, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Bill Anderson

Bill Anderson Registered User
    Old Timer NAWCC Member

Sep 30, 2013
    I have a 18 size Hamilton lever set 17 jewel SN 24850. The watch was made 1896-1897, production 3,310 pieces. The watch has a Montgomery dial. Inside plate of movement engraved Main line special M M Stone Minneapolis Minn. The open face case is an 18 size Crescent Watch Case Co. The case is made out of nickel and has a swing ring. The case # is 3825, and the back of the case has a gold inlay possible Dan Patch race horse with rider.

I have tried to find a watch with a similar engraving but can't find one. I know that Dan Patch lived and raced around Minnesota so I think that it is possible that this could be a Dan Patch watch? Even though the Dan Patch watches only show the head of the horse I'm thinking that the watch being from Minneapolis may indicate a Dan Patch reference. Does anyone know or have any ideas about this pocket watch?

IMG_3625.JPG IMG_3626.JPG IMG_3627.JPG

viclip and musicguy like this.
  2. CentreKeystone

CentreKeystone Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 19, 2014
    Highly unlikely it is Dan Patch as he was a Standard Bred Pacer and usually shown in harness with a two wheeled cart called a sulky. Nice watch though.

3. Jim Haney

Jim Haney Registered User
    NAWCC Member Donor

Sep 21, 2002
    Male
    Working the farm, Garden,horses, goats, chickens,
    Decatur, TN.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Bill,
    No , I am sorry but you can't stretch that case into a Dan Patch Watch.

I have some cases like yours and they were just jockey & horse cases.

You can learn all you need to know about Dan Patch watch from this thread,

The Story of the Dan Patch Watches

4. terry hall

terry hall Registered User
    NAWCC Brass Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Male
    Central North Carolina
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

Attached Files:

5. musicguy

musicguy Moderator
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jan 12, 2017
    New York State
    Country Flag:
    It's still a nice looking case.

Rob

6. Kent

Kent Registered User
    Gibbs Literary Award NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Silver Member

Aug 26, 2000
    Country Flag:
    #6 Kent, Mar 12, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2019
    The dial appears to be a modern, third party, replacement dial. Even if it isn't, the block lettering of the dial's signature wasn't in use until 1920. The dial ought to be signed "Hamilton Watch Co." in script.

7. Jim Haney

NAWCC Member Donor

Sep 21, 2002
    Male
    Decatur, TN.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Bill,
    After you you a chance to read up on Dan Patch, look especially at page 190 of the article, it is an amazing story of the fact they both passed at the same time .

You watch is a highly collectible timepiece. a Grade 934 marked Main Line, these watches are listed in the Price Guide as a 1 star rarity. :cool:

The Hamilton sales records show this watch was sold to William Stone of Minneapolis, Mn on 10-12-1897.

There were about 10 finished and sold to him on that Ledger page of 50 watches.

The great thing about collecting Hamilton's is the NAWCC Library has the original Factory sales records (Ledgers) of the company, showing each individual watch finished and who it sold to for almost the 1st million watches. No other Company has these type of records.

8. Bill Anderson

Bill Anderson Registered User
    Old Timer NAWCC Member

Sep 30, 2013
    I have read the story and Dan Patch and his owner died 1 day apart...I guess they were very close, more so than most people can be. And I thought the odds of the watch being a Dan Patch watch were slim but wanted some outside opinions.

Overall a great story and a interesting piece.

9. Jim Haney

NAWCC Member Donor

Sep 21, 2002
    Male
    Decatur, TN.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Bill,
    Have you still got the Hamilton 947 Extra serial # 1,000,000