$ Possible 1800s cylinder escapement watch jewelled. Inherited

Discussion in 'Wrist Watches' started by Screwloose, Jun 13, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Screwloose

Screwloose Registered User

Jun 13, 2020
    Female
    Seller Vintage Jewellery, beginner in Horology
    UK England South Yorkshire
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Inside has Made to wear 10 years gold filled swiss made. The back of watch is of mixed metal compounds. The strap buckle fastening suggests authenticity along with the slightly worn "hallmarkings" of "Wristlaw Inc"
    It has jewels which are rubies. This has been identified however the watches actual origs ect im struggling

IMG_20200612_102949.jpg

2. Screwloose

Jun 13, 2020
    Female
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

3. Screwloose

Jun 13, 2020
    Female
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Apologies if I've breached any unlawful information or work I've not cited as being by own findings or research. This is due to my lack of knowledge and understanding and not seeking the correct protocols to follow, regarding Horological History evidence, or own information.

Lola Parkinson

4. Kevin W.

Kevin W. Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 11, 2002
    I work at the Veritas Tools machine shop.
    Nepean, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Its a very low end watch, perhaps just a few jewels in the escapement, its also broken too needs repairs. Is it a heirloom?

5. Screwloose

Jun 13, 2020
    Female
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hello Kevin it was my nans she was did have a small military background, ive had it 10 or more years. My research is only that of 5 days! I only started to look around the watch, because I've recently been buying and selling vintage jewellery as a hobby. Again only for last week or so!
    Thankyou

6. gmorse

gmorse Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 7, 2011
    Male
    Retired from Xerox
    Breamore, Hampshire, UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi Lola, and welcome to the forum,

I don't believe you've broken any laws, written or unwritten, so nothing to apologise for!

As Kevin has commented, it's a modest quality Swiss made watch, and someone has removed the balance cock, taken out the balance, and I think, put it back upside down, without the screw which holds the cock in place. This type of watch has been obsolete for getting on for 100 years now, so having this repaired, if you can find someone to do it, will not be easy, and will likely cost rather more than the watch is worth, at least in monetary terms; fortunately though, sentimental value isn't necessarily counted in pounds sterling.

The visible jewels are probably rubies, which are used to provide low friction bearings for the wheels. Since they have holes through them, they have no intrinsic value.

Lastly, I'm puzzled by the reference to Rolex in the thread title.

Regards,

Graham

Parkinson likes this.
  7. Screwloose

Jun 13, 2020
    Female
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I need to look back at my reading ive saved for the watch. I've got something where Rolex is mentioned or something to link "Wristlaw Inc" or the " Made to wear 10years gold filled swiss made caption inside the watch"...
    This led me to image searchs on a credible website who've contacted me since.
    I used 5 seperate individual images ive used or which would be the significant traits to help identifying the watch.

The 1st i uploaded was just of the markings of "Wristlaw Inc" on the buckle type fastening. 2nd image was of the inside scribe which has lettering "made to wear, gold filled Swiss made" 3rd image the dial of the clock face 4th was part of the leather strap and lastly the actual cylinder workings inside the watch. Every image search i did returned rolex watches? Saying "Could not be found, see similar findings".. I need to look back in the screen shots I've taken to gather info on my watch for own knowledge ( I honestly am intrigued by horological history (God help you all with me as a student) I tried different imaging of my watch in the imaging search tool results didn't alter.
    After I emailed the company for further help they said they'd gladly help in validation and selling of the watch. However later said they couldn't buy it as it requires a specialized service, with the right amount of knowledge to restore.
    I've had some other emails Mainly from American based companys...

It could have been the" jewelled" I dont think Ive sprung it from thin air, i dont know how ive gotten to the point of research suggesting Rolex.. It may have been the jewelled searchwas the jewelled element of possibly the markings. Ill get back to you.. Thanks.. Does the "Wristlaw Inc " markings on the fastening mean or have you come across it in your research before?

8. Screwloose

Jun 13, 2020
    Female
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    It's not working and the back parts have all come loose, it was kept elsewhere and and I think tampered with possibly as I first thought that when returned. The back opened and a piece came out, so a screws missing or something to hold in place?.. Because of my lack of knowledge and understanding I just thought simply it wouldn't tick due to not being wound or their were certain other aspects to make the watch work.. But turns out it's been broken..

9. Screwloose

Jun 13, 2020
    Female
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    If im wrong completely please correct me for learning purposes. I will keep rather than sell for sake..
    If I were to sell who would I approach, and in what way ie auctions ect.. Im not sure what to do.. As for a type can you clarify its era for me, and a bit of the historical history about it, im eager to know..typical wearer's of the watch sort and its place likely to have been made ie workshop, factory..

10. gmorse

gmorse Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 7, 2011
    Male
    Retired from Xerox
    Breamore, Hampshire, UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #10 gmorse, Jun 13, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2020
    Hi Lola,

Please be assured that any link to Rolex is between exceedingly tenuous and non-existent. For a start, this watch is of a type being made in the late 1800s, long before Hans Wilsdorf & Alfred Davis formed the company in 1905 which was later to become Rolex, and who chose the name 'Rolex' as their trade mark in 1908 so as to be easily pronounceable in any language.

Jewels in watches have been fitted to create low friction bearings in watches for over 300 years, and they aren't the preserve of Rolex or any other maker. Your watch is a typical product of the Swiss watchmaking industry, the vast majority of whose exports were not signed or marked in any way to identify their makers.

The name on the bracelet applies to just that and not the watch, which unfortunately will remain anonymous. From limited experience, Google Image Search will distinguish a watch from a washing up bowl, but for anything more detailed seems more or less useless. Your searches probably returned Rolex because I suspect that's the commonest watch brand which people search for. Google, however useful it can often be, sometimes does send you off down blind alleys!

The 'gold filled' case 'made to wear 10 years', was one of the lower grades of gold over base metal; 10 years doesn't imply a very thick coating.

Regards,

Graham

Jeff Hess likes this.
  11. gmorse

gmorse Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 7, 2011
    Male
    Retired from Xerox
    Breamore, Hampshire, UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi Lola,

There's very little interest from collectors for ladies' watches, and this one is candidly quite unexceptional; they were made down to a price, not up to a quality standard. It could well cost you more in fees to sell it than you received from the sale, and it would certainly cost far more to repair it than any monetary worth. If it has some sentimental meaning for you, I should just keep it as a memento of your nan.

Although it's a wrist watch, and these only became common during and after WW1, the movement design is little different from watches being made 30 years earlier.

Regards,

Graham

12. Screwloose

Jun 13, 2020
    Female
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I didn't use Google images, haha sorry I did put search tool to suggest Google it was on a credable watch finding website which by the sounds I've used wrongly... But it was pretty simple instructions to follow.. "Upload image and we, ll find it or similar.. Their were no explanation of the finding only various others..

Thanks for you help, ive had a million and one different suggestions and comments however I didn't know the NAWCC was available to use to non expertise or non members before.

Thanks again

13. Screwloose

Jun 13, 2020
    Female
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I
    Get you, i didn't see last part Graham.. So Wristlaw Inc dosnt mean a branding of some sort or have nothing recorded due to the age of it.. Graham if you were me, what would you be inclined to do with it...? I'm not a collector, and buy bits n bat's of women's earlier pieces of other jewellery for resale items theirs lots of history or recordings about usually.. Who would I approach if a collector would buy?.. Ill let you have some peace then...
    Thankyou for putting things in a clear context for me. research alone, with no guidance has misled me.
    But if no-one made a mistake, they won't learn will they. Thanks im going to still try now to read about the1800s horological history think the library is a good place to start eh?.. Night

14. gmorse

gmorse Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 7, 2011
    Male
    Retired from Xerox
    Breamore, Hampshire, UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi Lola,

You could start here in the wristwatches forum. People have been wearing watches of some sort since the 16th century, so a lot of ground to cover! As for selling, please see post #11 . . .

Regards,

Graham

15. Screwloose

Jun 13, 2020
    Female
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I cant stay away, Im so excited to show you my other watches, and small collection of (You guessed it.. Those dodgy "Rolex" again..stamped swiss made too, more leather straps on the way, run everyone..

Lesson learnt..Apologies.

Im now going to start afresh. And I'll posting on here, in future posts as an "Enthusiastic" (we, ll use) Student..

Day 9 of my Horological Hoarding and Hunting for History.... (Not Rolexs..) you watch me have a real one now.. how ironic.. Ive also found my reading research of how it fetched me to Rolex.. From the British Hall marked loops mentioned Pre Brand mame, Screenshot_20200615-051541.jpg Reading I did around my watch from which I hope you can see why my findings suggested ( Pre Rolex Branding in 1902) the texts says" The lettering W&D can be found on the buckles of some of the watches left.. The loops often gave way, due to the 17 jewels of the watch.. ellsas the loops struggled to uphold the conclusions,..however I hope you can see i did not just dreamt it up.. and I've comply forgot where I found it or what credible source I've found it in. It was, The "looped British leather strap with the initialld buckle, gold of colour coloured fastners" My watch ahdahh, Rolex haha
    I got my evidence ad evidence of reading which I would always screen shot to pop in after or bish bash bosh done.. That was easy enough..

Now ill explain how I come to find the Wristlaw Inc on the strap buckle..

So know look at the image, Far Right of the Lady typically the sort who wore these types of watches.. Screenshot_20200615-050810.jpg advertising badver

.. read out the wristlaw inc, I did search and find
    me that that was my watch!..black leather strap is what, I'd seen.
    I then Read in same rwDingome watchenamon my buckle did come up, somewhere because that's how Ive been able to make mine out, due it being slightly worn.. lyead
    reading W&D not properly... Hope you can see my wrong turn as it does mention Rolex Brand name mainly aftreof my Sorry about the pun..
    y new found exciting love of Antiques jewellery and Watches particularly The Science and Artistry, in making, restoration and repairing.... The Bizarrer the item the more I will love it..

Ive not had much chance to look around these next watches ive purchased for a ridiculous price... Finders Keepers I think.. Im going to put each watch on, which I think may be the suitable blog, if I'm wrong remove and add to correct please!.. *In discussions around the watches if i go quiet It's not because I'm uninterested in your comments, I'll have morphed back to mum. Thanks I'll try to keep popping back in and out.. Of posts.. I do most off my reading throughout the night, so any acknowledgement on your comments, suggestions and guidance to further reading, won't be possibly posted at a bit later than of posting time.

However I'm going to post first, then do my research and reading around mentions on the discussions.. Does that sound like a more sensible way to pursue my learning?.. Lesson learnt.

Am I ok to ask that when I post my watches on, .. Is it better for me to do my listing seperate.. "Yes it will Parkinson as they'll more than likely have different Hallmarks and of different origin.".. Thats cleared that one up!..Any knowledge date ie, suggested number markings, all need to be referenced to in my sayings, do I need to citrate or reference throughout and at end? Screenshot_20200615-051541.jpg

16. Screwloose

Jun 13, 2020
    Female
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I'm not sure what's happened their perhaps I'm need to use a pc rather than phone? Words gone out of context in parts, repetitive.

The 1933 "Britannic Watch Bracelets" Advertisement poster shows an original poster, available online at wwwhistoryworld.co.uk show the advert for the watch of the women who typically wore these watches..

"wristerinc"
    was a swiss wrist wear incorporated

17. Dr. Jon

Dr. Jon Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Dec 14, 2001
    Aerospace Engineer
    New Hampshire
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    PatH likes this.
  18. gmorse

gmorse Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 7, 2011
    Male
    Retired from Xerox
    Breamore, Hampshire, UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    That book is much cheaper here in the UK, have a look on bookfinder.com.

19. Screwloose

Jun 13, 2020
    Female
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Because that's what us British women do.. "The British made, Ladies Bracelet strap watch was the watch to have, in 1933..im not letting it go, not know, not ever... Ill prove them wrong.. Just like the first time...
    Lola Parkinson
    Owner by heirloom
    Finder by owning..
    And lastly researcher to proudly announce it British heritage, born and bred with my family. The Brittanic Ladies, bracelet watch made by Harris associated company before the Rolex brand was born...
    Thanks any searches attatch in my name on google will be from. A while ago,.. Ill get my evidence to support my findings in search and watchfinder. Com will validate I entered the images onto their image site in sore at saturday 14th his name is euardo.. Seen letter attached email IMG_20200612_102949.jpg

20. Screwloose

Jun 13, 2020
    Female
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    IMG_20200612_103112.jpg Screenshot_20200615-050810.jpg I am proud to be British women, and even more so of being the founder, owner and have the credits, for the further research of this watch. My own heritage history of it, from my gramars side which she truely was a proud British womehich is evidently the meaning and name of this watch. too as I stood firmly by this watch reserto now announce my watchs name.. Its British made origins, rubbed shoulders of the eliteorigin with name as the founder and showed what British women stand avectoboppo can announce my own men, and this iconic watch and for my beliefs, for the research credits to and will fight to the end. The Brittanic Britishthe women who sought thisin the 1933s stand have already validated it by showing my belief in its originstrength e even more so when I can announce a watch, of my own generations passed down in family from grandparents. Itswhich I stood my ground on, believed in and 15923660374134709359589589647090.jpg 15923663630505711685739186443960.jpg 15923664087367683570161457087138.jpg

21. Les harland

Les harland Registered User

Apr 10, 2008
    Male
    Hertfordshire England
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Are there any Hallmarks on the inside of the back of your Swiss watch?

22. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005
    I have no idea what this means. And you have posted this thread about a wristwatch in the clocks section.

JTD

23. Steven Thornberry

Steven Thornberry User Administrator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    I have merged 4 threads posted variously in the Forums. They all seem to treat of the same watch. A scatter-gun approach can lead to confusion.

24. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005
    Excellent. But shouldn't the thread be in Wrist watches rather than European pocket watches?

JTD

25. Steven Thornberry

Steven Thornberry User Administrator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    Probably, but I will let this forum moderator, Dr. Jon, make that decision. Two of the merged threads were originally posted here.

26. Screwloose

Jun 13, 2020
    Female
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I'm sorry for the messy presentation of the watch, due to not having a valid membership to nawcc messages and information, instructions of what I needed to do to validate came through by email in a very erratic and confusing way, as you can tell by my presentation on the watch, it's led to multiple uploads of images, descriptions and edited scripts not intended to be posted.
    Ive completed my membership this morning, however im still struggling to see any guidance or information on my watch. Thanks L. Parkinson

27. gmorse

gmorse Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 7, 2011
    Male
    Retired from Xerox
    Breamore, Hampshire, UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi Parkinson,

You've already received about all we can tell you about this watch, in posts 6, 10, 11, 14, and 17 and some others; candidly, you've posted so much extraneous and obscure text that perhaps the information has become somewhat lost in the noise. If you could describe clearly and succinctly what else you need to know about it, we would be in a much better position to help.

Regards,

Graham

JTD likes this.
  28. Screwloose

Jun 13, 2020
    Female
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Everything I've posted is due to notifications emailed through saying I need to this that and other. I've got so lost with comments and communication between myself and other members, one minute im right, then wrong or my posts are wrong, or contain the wrong information. As I was writing information to validate the watch, it was getting more or less edited for me prompts of typing suggesting what should be wrote. It indicated that I had to hurry to post images and state the watches title, I'd found in my research. Then things went crazy. A poll? Research evidence needed uploading? Needed to post watch title ect then id recieved notifications saying I'd been awarded something for watch images, research... Im getting notifications left right and centre again Im aware its due to my understanding of how the forum works. I've been in contact today with members from the accounts departments to make membership so I can access my profile to see exactly whats on their.. Im sorry I just can't seem to grasp this and am now wondering what all the commotion seemed to be about my watch, as all my efforts to forefill the requests of posting the watch on in a certain way have now seemed to make me out more of a crackpot than before when I posted possible rolex origins of the watch... I look like a right case how the last posts have appeared on here!.. I am sane, I promise haha although it's not the easiest of professional sites to contribute to as a minor.
    Ive read the help sites, but am going to completly start over my learning of how to use this site.
    When I do get a grasp of how to use correctly I'd like to show my other watches i have and have got working again, just through my own learning and tinkering with.. Ive some lovely escapement movements, im really enjoying researching and have around 8 or 9!
    Sorry to be a pain, and thanks for your patience with my rubbish sense of direction on the website.
    So now because the watch is British it's been taken out of the European forums and into the wristwatches forum am I right?

29. Screwloose

Jun 13, 2020
    Female
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I've notified NAWCC of name acc change today to combine the two accounts and disregard username Parkinson. Thought screwloose suited much better?.. And is much more confidential to my own needs thanks

30. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005
    I don't understand this. Who were these 'notifications' from? Never heard of such before.

No, it's because it's a WRISTwatch - your original post was in the pocket watch section.

If you could do as Graham suggests, you might get what you are looking for.

JTD

31. Jessk09

Jessk09 Registered User

Feb 27, 2020
    Country Flag:
    Can we get a look at the dial? Also I have an old pocket watch that that i inherited from my great grandmother. It has 8 rubies it has a cylinder movt. It does not work because it just got so old & worn.( In the past the crystal was broken)
    Apparently the bezel opened like a lot of hunting case movt’s. of the time.
    Ps-only things missing are the screws that hold a casing piece.(this is my son holding it,he is the clock geek of my house)(he is also the one who received it)

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg