Portrush Railway Clock Seeks New Home

Discussion in 'Tower, Monumental & Street Clocks' started by jmclaugh, Oct 28, 2016.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. jmclaugh

jmclaugh Registered User

Jun 1, 2006
    Devon
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Apologies if outside the UK you can't see this on the BBC's site but if you google it you can find it elsewhere.

Apparently the owner of what is said to be the tallest free standing clock in the world at 18' is looking for a new home for it. The clock stood at Portrush station in Northern Ireland from 1892-1975.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-37586940

2. Peter A. Nunes

Peter A. Nunes Moderator
    NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member Sponsor

Mar 3, 2006
    Male
    Restorer of antique clocks.
    Rhode Island
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #2 Peter A. Nunes, Oct 28, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2016
    Very interesting! I've recently restored a couple of street clocks here in the U.S., and have another one in the queue. I was discussing with a friend in the U.K. whether there were street clocks there, and he couldn't think of any. This is similar, though of course quite different. I hope it finds a good home. here is a picture of the recently restored Seth Thomas street clock, which is now in Northampton, Massachusetts.

sethinstkenpeter.JPG

3. jmclaugh

jmclaugh Registered User

Jun 1, 2006
    Devon
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    There are street clocks in the UK but they are nearly always attached to a building as opposed to that lovely stand alone Seth Thomas one, good to see such clocks are being kept in working order.

4. Peter A. Nunes

Peter A. Nunes Moderator
    NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member Sponsor

Mar 3, 2006
    Male
    Restorer of antique clocks.
    Rhode Island
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Well, there are plenty of turret clocks, but few or no cast iron, stand-alone, street clocks. This is very interesting to me, as I would have thought that the U.K., which is very fond of "street furniture", would have developed them or imported them from the U.S. in some numbers, but that doesn't seem to be the case. There are probably a couple hundred extant here in the U.S. I've always found them quite appealing, and it's been a great privilege to get involved with restoring three of them.

5. ElectricTime

ElectricTime Registered User
    NAWCC Business

Sep 28, 2002
    I agree - you would think that the U.K. would be full of cast iron street clocks from the Victorian era - but no - they seem to be generally unique to the the US and Canada.

I was thinking - and maybe I'm wrong - it was due to the later development of the cities in the USA.

6. novicetimekeeper

novicetimekeeper Registered User

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    retired and on my second career
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I think that may well be true, I have seen a few mentioned but not many.