Portland, Oregon: Chapter 31 (Officially "Pacific Northwest"

Discussion in 'Chapter News and Views' started by Robert Gordon, Jan 18, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Robert Gordon

Robert Gordon Registered User
    NAWCC Member

May 29, 2015
    Male
    Engines: Heads/Manifolds, Manual Porting/Machining
    Portland, Oregon
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    1. As we start the New Year and decade, thought it might be handy to start posting here for those looking for Chapters near them that we are in the Portland area.
    2. Like any other thread on this NAWCC site, you can reply to it, post questions, etc. You may not get a reply for a couple of days, or a week or so, you have been forewarned if you are expecting an instantaneous response.
    3. For more information on our Chapter, may I direct you to our Chapter 31 website, nawcc31.org.
    4. I want to keep track of the "lookies" (views) we get, so I'll post the numbers monthly or so, just so we, and any other Chapter, can get an idea of how many times people have clicked on this thread out of curiosity (or by mistake), is there a pattern throughout the year, that sort of stuff.
    So, to start off, here is the first post of the year I sent out to the Chapter about our January meeting...a real dud, we won't have one, but in February we'll have a Champ!
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    No January meeting due to facility availability, time, and ill-spent efforts on the part of your's truly.
    For those that want to look for horological items to take the place of the meeting, if I had the time I would zip to Springfield, Oregon and walk through the doors of Old Passions, liquidating a clock inventory, oldpassions.com.
    Next month we do have a roof over our heads at the Main Beaverton Library, the program is not to be missed: Bob Holmstrom will tell us about the "Before " and "After" tours he took that sandwiched the Ward Francillon Time Symposium 2019 that he attended in Nuremburg, Germany. To get the book that had all the presentations in print, and in English, here you go: Item Detail - Ward Francillon Time Symposium 2019

Item Detail - Ward Francillon Time Symposium 2019
    $65 + shipping for online and orders by phone: In September 2019, the Deutsche Gesellschaft fur Chronometrie and the National Association of Watch & Clock Collectors, Inc. jointly held an international symposium in Nuremberg, Germany. This event, “Time – Made in Germany: 700 Years of German Horology,” was the NAWCC’s 2019 Ward Francillon Time Symposium and also the first such ...etc., etc.
    net.nawcc.org

The book was also published in German for those so inclined, it is only lack of time that keeps me from finding and posting a source for it. (If you find it, I'll post it for all.)
    So...everybody stay warm, dry, and well-fed, we'll meet up February 16th in the Beaverton Main Library for a presentation not to be missed!

Robert Gordon
    NAWCC Chapter 31 President

PatH likes this.
  2. Clocks In The Grove

Clocks In The Grove Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 3, 2011
    Male
    Oregon
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thank you Robert G. for posting here. I think it is a good thing and hope you do this every month. Oldpassions looks like it would be a very interesting place to visit.
    ..Bob..

3. George Frick

George Frick Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 8, 2016
    Male
    Retired
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thank you Robert. I will be checking for chapter info here.

4. Robert Gordon

Robert Gordon Registered User
    NAWCC Member

May 29, 2015
    Male
    Engines: Heads/Manifolds, Manual Porting/Machining
    Portland, Oregon
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    NAWCC Chapter 31 February 2020 meeting.
    Sunday, February 16th, 2-4pm. (We have the room starting at 1pm, some show up that early.)
    Beaverton Main Library 12375 SW 5th Street Beaverton, OR 97005. (Intersection with Hall Boulevard.)
    Meeting Room B.
    Mart until 2:30, then a Premier Presentation by Bob Holmstrom.

Presentation: Bob Holmstrom – Tours of various horological locations before and after he attended the Ward Francillon Time Symposium in Nuremberg, Germany, last September. Come see where he went, you won’t need a Passport, visa, or airline ticket, but you will need to fasten your seatbelt on the drive to the Library.
    Bob is also the President of NAWCC Chapter 161, Horological Science, and thus publisher of Horological Science Newsletter. You would do well to peruse the website for his Chapter: www.hsn161.com, maybe even subscribe to it, hint, hint…
    And another shameless plug for the book containing the Symposium presentations: Item Detail - Ward Francillon Time Symposium 2019

March 7, AWCI Build a watch: Build a Watch – Portland, OR. This will be in Portland, they have seats available. At the end of the day you walk out with a watch you assembled and cased. I did this in 2018 at the NAWCC watch school facility just days before the NAWCC 75th Anniversary hootenanny in Pennsylvania.
    Elections- We are supposed to have some, I have to confess I haven’t looked at the schedule and procedures. We need a Vice President, and someone to replace me. If you think all a President does is loll about and ingest chocolates from places that have a fine watchmaking tradition (Switzerland, Pennsylvania...), I sure wouldn’t want to disappoint you.

Views: Jan=78

5. Clocks In The Grove

Clocks In The Grove Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 3, 2011
    Male
    Oregon
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Nice to see the so many out to the Chapter 31 meeting yesterday. Not only were there ladies out but also a young girl. Hope she becomes a member some day.
    ..Bob..