Barr & Poole Poole Manual

Discussion in 'Electric Horology' started by PeterW, Jun 18, 2006.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. For the new NAWCC home page
    Click this image at the upper left corner of this page.
  1. PeterW

PeterW Registered User

Aug 21, 2005
    For anyone who may be interested, I have uploaded scans a of Poole clock manual/booklet that came with the clock. What I found interesting is in the “ask these questions when buying a clock” part it mentions that they can use AC or DC voltage. I only have 1Poole and 1 Barr, but I wonder what was provided or offered with the clock so you could plug it in the wall and use 120 volt AC current?

Here is the link: http://www.flickr.com/photos/78001582@N00/sets/72157594169529863/

Peter

2. H.Weiland

H.Weiland Deceased
    Deceased

Peter,

Thank you for posting the Poole manual. It is a very interesting and rare item.

I have never seen a Poole that operated on line current, but a simple dropping resistor could have been included which lowered the current. Or it is possible that the electromagnets were specially wound with many more turns of very fine wire which would have been just as effective and perhaps more practical.

Th

3. Richard Hatch

Richard Hatch Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    I have heard (but not seen) that an 110V adaptor was made available late in the production of these clocks. At some point Poole realized that they were losing the competition against synchronous motor powered clocks and decided to offer these adaptors. Don’t think that too many were made. Richard

4. Hans Vrolijk

Hans Vrolijk Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 7, 2005
    retired family doctor
    Rotterdam, The Netherlands
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Many thanks for the nice Poole booklet

Hans Vrolijk

5. Ralph

Ralph Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jan 22, 2002
    Country Flag:
    I have seen at least 3 120V Barrs. One of them had an enamel dial. The obvious clue on the Barr is that there is no battery box, so the movement is just up on the 2 columns.

I have not seen a non-battery Poole.

Ralph