• The NAWCC Museum and Library & Research Center will reopen starting Wednesday, January 6, 2021 as per Governor Wolf's reopening mandate.

Barr & Poole Poole - lube vs no lube

Ditto Designs

Apr 3, 2004
The discussion surrounding lubrication of the Poole movement created some curiosity as to what the impact is of oil vs. no oil. I had the opportunity to set up a rudimentary experiment on a Poole Executive that came in for cleaning. After normal disassembly, cleaning ( no lube ), the clock was set up and started. It settled down with what I've seen is pretty normal impulse interval of about 36 swings. The timekeeping was just OK at about 5-8 sec drift per day. I lubed the following, using balance staff oil (at a one day sequence between each):
1) Impulse roller pivots
2) Crutch fork
3) Pallet Assy to Crutch Arm cheeks.
4) Escape Wheel Pivots
5) Pallet Faces.
There was incremental increase in swing interval each time an additional part was lubed. The greatest effect appeared to be in the following order. #1,5,4,2,3.
The net of this was that the swing interval went from 36 to 52 over about the one week period, and the timekeeping improved to about 10 sec drift over this same period. So I put this out for what it's worth, and hope it provides a bit more insight to the discussion.

C

Charles Vesser

I think if we had information on what the average swing intervel of a Poole clock is, with your information posted, the problem of oil or not to oil would be solved.
Does anyone have any information on what the swing intervel of a Poole should be?

eskmill

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Aug 24, 2000
Region
I think Ditto Designs comment of 36 swings between impulses is the goal that most repairers who undertake the Poole and Barr battery clocks generally agree is a good target.

Some fiddle around and get the count up to 40 or more as Ditto has recorded.

Now I've forgotten: is it 36 strokes or 36 cycles? :rolleyes:

Ditto Designs

Apr 3, 2004
Just a quick status update - the Poole has settled down to 49 cycles ( cycle = 1 complete swing)without variation over these past few weeks. The interesting thing is that, although I've observed pretty reliable timkeeping out of these clocks in the past, this one appears to be particularly good; holding within +/- 10 sec over this period.

glr1109

Jun 2, 2002
Genoa, NY
Country
Region
One "expert" said an interval between 18 to 26 is good. I've never read anything from the Poole Co. as to the number of swings. I normally acheive any where from 30 to 52.

As far as oil is concerned...I don't oil, only because that was the way I was taught. The original company advised against it. Somewhere, I read an opinion "that this was due to the fact that the clocks were warrented for life and that eventually the oil would "gum" up." Who knows!

I've never run my Poole/Barr clocks for more than a few months, so do not know how long they will run with a single set of batteries. They are supposed to run a full year. I suppose, that how much longer they ran would tell you the amount of "swings".