Poole Electromagnetic Clock, 1927

Discussion in 'Your Newest Clock Acquisition' started by Uhralt, Feb 6, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Uhralt

Uhralt Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I recently acquired a Poole electromagnetic clock, Model Executive #5, SN 2366, which dates it to 1927. I usually collect older, purely mechanical clocks, but I found its principle of working quite interesting. Usually, the movement drives the pendulum but here, the pendulum drives the movement. In order to keep the pendulum moving it gets a little push by a gravity lever from time to time. The gravity lever is pulled back up by a battery driven electromagnet immediately after giving the push to the pendulum. The clock is supposed to run about a year on a set of batteries with timekeeping of within a minute a month. I'm currently adjusting the speed to verify this claim.

The clock was in poor condition when I got it. If you are interested in the restoration, see here:
    Barr & Poole - Poole Executive#5 Electromagnetic Clock

Uhralt

Poole 8.JPG

gleber likes this.
  2. gleber

gleber Registered User

Jun 15, 2015
    Male
    Underwater Robotics Expert
    Downingtown, Pennsylvania USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Very cool. I'm not a fan of electric, but this is an exception. It looks great too.

Tom

3. tracerjack

tracerjack Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 6, 2016
    Female
    Lodi, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Love electromagnetic, and yours is especially nice with the seconds bit. It is an intriguing combination to have a clock battery powered, but turning wheels and a swinging pendulum that satisfies the fondness for mechanical movements.

4. Raymond Rice

Raymond Rice Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Retired IBM manager, retired politician, now just
    NYS
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Very nice, I have the exact clock, also marked "Morse Chain Co. Ithaca, NY" on the dial, and a second one which is minus the globe. I think the years run on a set of batteries is probably about right. I like the clocks, but if one is accustomed to hearing clocks "tick", its little disconcerting to hear a "ca-chunk" every minute or so.
    Ray Rice

5. Uhralt

Uhralt Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    That is true! I'm just getting used to the "ca-chunk" (hopefully).

If you are looking for a fitting globe, Timesavers carries them.

Uhralt