• The NAWCC Museum and Library & Research Center will reopen starting Wednesday, January 6, 2021 as per Governor Wolf's reopening mandate.

Barr & Poole Poole electric running question

Weight Driven

May 24, 2004
Country
Three weeks ago I picked up a Poole electric clock at auction. The terminals were corroded so I cleaned them off and it ran great for about a week and a half. This past week it just stopped. I would start it up again and it would run for several hours and stop again. This pattern has been consistent for several days now. I do have new batteries in it. My question is what could be wrong? After running great for a week and a half why stop now? The movement is a little dirty but I don't understand why run good for an extended period and then stop. I'm new to electric clocks so very little experience here. Thanks for any help. Dennis

Weight Driven

May 24, 2004
Country
Three weeks ago I picked up a Poole electric clock at auction. The terminals were corroded so I cleaned them off and it ran great for about a week and a half. This past week it just stopped. I would start it up again and it would run for several hours and stop again. This pattern has been consistent for several days now. I do have new batteries in it. My question is what could be wrong? After running great for a week and a half why stop now? The movement is a little dirty but I don't understand why run good for an extended period and then stop. I'm new to electric clocks so very little experience here. Thanks for any help. Dennis

Larry

Jul 22, 2002
Maryland
Country
Region
Dennis,
Do you have the correct number of batteries installed? Are your new batteries the ones you put in the clock after it ran a week and a half? If not try a fresh set.

Larry

G

Greg R.

I have just gone though this with one. It ran great for amost three weeks with a swing/impulse of 36.

I took it apart and re-cleaned it. While apart...I noticed that the toggle would sometimes miss the knife. Adjusted that and is running again although only at 29 swings/impulse.

These do need to be clean. I also polish all of the points of contact.

Greg

Weight Driven

May 24, 2004
Country
Thanks Greg and Larry. The batteries are new and it is the correct number. The toggle piece did get stuck in the outstreched position so maybe this was part of the problem. Has been running for 2 days now so maybe I'm on to something.

B

Bill Keller

Have you checked our BULLETIN for articles on Poole clocks? Bernard Bowman has written about them and he may be able to help you.