Barr & Poole Poole electric clocks toggle hangs up

Discussion in 'Electric Horology' started by gmitche4, Jul 6, 2009.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. For the new NAWCC home page
    Click this image at the upper left corner of this page.
  1. gmitche4

gmitche4 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 4, 2007
    Male
    Country Flag:
    I have the glass dome and 4 glass Poole clocks. Both have problems with the toggle. It operates fine for a few cycles and then hangs up away from the vertical. Perhaps it wants to go home because I am in Sydney Australia and everything is upside down!

My theories are

• I oiled the toggle suspension points and I shouldn't have because it causes "stiction" of some sort.
    • Static electricity builds up and the toggle attracts itself to the nearest earth
    • Magnetism builds up in the toggle
    I'm discounting the last 2 because the toggle stays up and doesn't fall back, even after 24 hours.

Any other possible cause?

Graham Mitchell

2. eskmill

eskmill Registered User
    NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member

Aug 24, 2000
    Region Flag:
    If the battery is weak, the gravity arm that gives impulse (a shove) to the pendulum will not be latched out of the pendulum path quickly.

The same if the gravity arm latch pieces can't move quickly and freely on account of cohesion caused from oily film on the sliding pieces.

In my view, only the gravity arm roller pivot should be sparingly lubricated.

3. gmitche4

gmitche4 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 4, 2007
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Thanks Les,
    They will run for up to an hour or so then stop, so the mechanisms seem to be working ok. I will oil where you suggest.
    I'll clean the oil off the toggles, check the batteries and battery contacts to make sure they are making a good connection and see what happens.
    thanks
    Graham
    Sydney