• The NAWCC Museum and Library & Research Center will reopen starting Wednesday, January 6, 2021 as per Governor Wolf's reopening mandate.

Barr & Poole Poole Clock

glr1109

Jun 2, 2002
Genoa, NY
Country
Region
I'm working on a "Melrose" model, Poole Clock. Everything has been cleaned and polished. It has an average of 26 swings/impulse. The problem is that it is running too fast(even with the pendulum all the way down). I've not come across this problem before on one of these clocks. Any ideas?

Thanks
Greg

glr1109

Jun 2, 2002
Genoa, NY
Country
Region
I'm working on a "Melrose" model, Poole Clock. Everything has been cleaned and polished. It has an average of 26 swings/impulse. The problem is that it is running too fast(even with the pendulum all the way down). I've not come across this problem before on one of these clocks. Any ideas?

Thanks
Greg

Ralph

NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2002
Country
Have you changed the suspension spring....if yes, it might be too heavy. You might try a lighter one.

Ralph

glr1109

Jun 2, 2002
Genoa, NY
Country
Region
It looks like an original spring, but may not be...I'll try and thin the one that's there. Just curious to know if there was something I was or wasn't doing. Will let you know what happens.

My biggest problem with repairing clocks is coming to terms with: just because its there...does not mean that the clock worked correctly or very long, before I got it.
Thanks
Greg

G

Greg R.

#1. Before thinning the spring I decided to try a different Suspension sping and pendulum. The clock kept time as it should.

#2. I then thinned orignial sus. spring, and placed the original bob on it...ran fast again.

#3. Tried the same suspension spring with a different bob and so far is running well.

#4. Going to measure the "rods" and "bob" and try to weigh both "bobs"

With the exception of cylinder vs. disk and 1 rod vs. the split rod. I have never heard of different length rods or size pend. bobs. Is anyone aware of this?

Thanks
Greg

Know Your NAWCC Forums Rules!
RULES & GUIDELINES

Find member

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LVGB
Encyclopedia Pages