Barr & Poole Poole Clock

Discussion in 'Electric Horology' started by glr1109, Sep 17, 2004.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. For the new NAWCC home page
    Click this image at the upper left corner of this page.
  1. glr1109

glr1109 Registered User

Jun 2, 2002
    Clock Repairman
    Genoa, NY
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I'm working on a "Melrose" model, Poole Clock. Everything has been cleaned and polished. It has an average of 26 swings/impulse. The problem is that it is running too fast(even with the pendulum all the way down). I've not come across this problem before on one of these clocks. Any ideas?

Thanks
    Greg

2. glr1109

glr1109 Registered User

Jun 2, 2002
    Clock Repairman
    Genoa, NY
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I'm working on a "Melrose" model, Poole Clock. Everything has been cleaned and polished. It has an average of 26 swings/impulse. The problem is that it is running too fast(even with the pendulum all the way down). I've not come across this problem before on one of these clocks. Any ideas?

Thanks
    Greg

3. Ralph

Ralph Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jan 22, 2002
    Country Flag:
    Have you changed the suspension spring....if yes, it might be too heavy. You might try a lighter one.

Ralph

4. glr1109

glr1109 Registered User

Jun 2, 2002
    Clock Repairman
    Genoa, NY
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    It looks like an original spring, but may not be...I'll try and thin the one that's there. Just curious to know if there was something I was or wasn't doing. Will let you know what happens.

My biggest problem with repairing clocks is coming to terms with: just because its there...does not mean that the clock worked correctly or very long, before I got it.
    Thanks
    Greg

5. Greg R.

Greg R. Guest

#1. Before thinning the spring I decided to try a different Suspension sping and pendulum. The clock kept time as it should.

#2. I then thinned orignial sus. spring, and placed the original bob on it...ran fast again.

#3. Tried the same suspension spring with a different bob and so far is running well.

#4. Going to measure the "rods" and "bob" and try to weigh both "bobs"

With the exception of cylinder vs. disk and 1 rod vs. the split rod. I have never heard of different length rods or size pend. bobs. Is anyone aware of this?

Thanks
    Greg