• The NAWCC Museum and Library & Research Center will reopen starting Wednesday, January 6, 2021 as per Governor Wolf's reopening mandate.

Barr & Poole POOLE CLOCK

P

proconsul

I have just acquired a Poole clock which takes 3 1.5V D batteries. However, the contacts come down every 4 seconds or so to keep the pendulum moving instead of every 30 seconds on my other Poole. What could be causing this, and what would be the best way to remedy it? Also, it is dirty with rust in various places. Can the movement or part of the movement be cleaned? I know that oil is not allowed. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks to all.

Steve

P

proconsul

I have just acquired a Poole clock which takes 3 1.5V D batteries. However, the contacts come down every 4 seconds or so to keep the pendulum moving instead of every 30 seconds on my other Poole. What could be causing this, and what would be the best way to remedy it? Also, it is dirty with rust in various places. Can the movement or part of the movement be cleaned? I know that oil is not allowed. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks to all.

Steve

rodarte3

Aug 27, 2000
I had identcal problems with my Poole when I bought it. The Hipp toggle can be a source of some of the problems if it is badly worn. It will cause the mechanism to trip out of phase which results in just six or seven swings until it triggers again. The toggle should trip on the return swing, not the "out" swing. The inpulse is delivered to a small rotating steel wheel which drives the pendulum. If the Hipp toggle is worn the mechanisum drops on the wrong side of the wheel it uses about 20 swings worth of power getting to the right side of the wheel. Make sure the wheel is not binding or stuck. The clocks can be sparingly lubricated though there are various views regarding lubrication. I lubricated mine and the performance of the clock has been excellent. The clock will perform much better if clean. Leveling seems to help quite a bit too.

If you need digital pictures etc. let me know

John

rlwindle

Mar 18, 2011
Dallas, TX
Country
Region
My Poole model #30, Clock number 4403 runs on 3 "D" cell batteries, after leveling and cleaning the contacts it runs beautifully. There was a lot of nicotine on it as shown in paper towel.

DSC_0001.JPG DSC_0003.JPG back and battery holder sm.jpg