Poole Clock Wig Wag

rodarte3

Aug 27, 2000
Does anybody know the dimensions of the little wig wag device that trips the clock pendulum action? The one on the clock is damaged and reproducing the part will be a lot easier it somebody has a photo or dimensions I can use.

Thank You

rodarte3

Aug 27, 2000
Does anybody know the dimensions of the little wig wag device that trips the clock pendulum action? The one on the clock is damaged and reproducing the part will be a lot easier it somebody has a photo or dimensions I can use.

Thank You

Ray Fanchamps

Deceased
Deceased
Aug 24, 2000
LLareggub
Country
Region
Here are the dimensions.
Overall length .510"
MaxWidth at Pivot .262"
Width of body .09"
Thickness .015"
Short end edge has 45dgre Cut where it "catches" on the serrated trip arm.
Long end from pivot to tip .345"
Short end Pivot to tip .12"
Pivot .035

http://www.clocknut.com/nawcc/bartoggle.jpg

Ray Fanchamps
Candidate for Director NAWCC 2003.
It's your NAWCC, please vote.

[This message was edited by Ray Fanchamps on January 23, 2003 at 13:15.]

Ray Fanchamps

Deceased
Deceased
Aug 24, 2000
LLareggub
Country
Region
Rodarte3 has indicated it's not the same as I posted. I have included a low resolution image of what he sent to me.
I can forward a higher res image if needed.
If anyone has the dimensions for this toggle or a better image let me or Rodarte3 (John) know.
It does look to me though that this part is salvageable, just wick off all that solder and crisp up the "Vee" edge.
http://www.clocknut.com/nawcc/pooltoggle.jpg

I presume John you understand the "wig-wag" or "toggle" as in "Hipp toggle" named after the designer, is brushed past by the pendulum. When the arc of the pendulum swing is not sufficient for the pendulum to brush past the toggle what happens is the stiff upright on the pendulum (seen just below the toggle in the image) snags in the "Vee" of the toggle. When it snags in the V it starts a series of events that ultimately results in the pendulum getting whacked to increase the arc of swing allowing the pendulum to brush past the toggle again.. Noisy , clumsy clocks.

Ray Fanchamps
Candidate for Director NAWCC 2003.
It's your NAWCC, please vote.

[This message was edited by Ray Fanchamps on January 23, 2003 at 23:43.]

rodarte3

Aug 27, 2000
Thanks, I didn't know the exact name of the device until now.

The Hipp toggle you see was an empirically engineered device based on the observed operation of the clock. It has been working so far so I may have stumbled onto a device similar to the original. I'll clean it up hopefully it'll be ok. And yes it is a clunky design and my expectations for accurate performance is limited but it is an interesting clock.

Thanks again Ray

Dick Feldman

Sep 1, 2000
Colorado, usa
Country
Region
John,
The material and photos I sent to you are the style toggle shown in Ray's drawing. I think that operation should be the same for both styles. I mailed the article on Poole/Barr clocks and a few more photos of the Barr Clock on a CD yesterday.
Please let us know how you come out.
Dick Feldman

Our 2021 National Meeting in Hampton Roads Virginia
Topic related ad experiment