• The NAWCC Museum and Library & Research Center will reopen starting Wednesday, January 6, 2021 as per Governor Wolf's reopening mandate.

Barr & Poole Poole Clock Questions

George Nelson

NAWCC Member
Deceased
Oct 5, 2007
Tennessee
Country
Region
Hi, All! I have done a search for "Poole" within this forum, but did not come up with answers to my specific questions. So, if I might... A recent purchase for me, this Poole clock, (after the required pendulum adjustments), is running and keeping good time.

1. The clock started out "engaging" on every third pendulum swing. It has been running for about fours now, and now engages every 10th pendulum swing, a small improvement. Will it hurt my clock to continue to run it engaging so often? I know I should shoot for 40 or 50 pendulum swings, but at this point I am at a loss to find anything wrong. I have read about the oil discussions, and have not applied any oil to the movement.

2. When I lift the dome, there is the faintest electrical smell, very reminiscent of my old electric train engine. No movement parts are hot, nor do I see any sparking even in a completely darkened room. Is this smell something to worry about or is it just due to the clock not having been used in quite a few years?

3. In the last picture, the arrow is pointing to an unusual braided wire. Is this supposed to be there? What is its function?

Many thanks for any help you can provide.

Warmest regards,

George Nelson

Attachments

George Nelson

NAWCC Member
Deceased
Oct 5, 2007
Tennessee
Country
Region
Hi, All,

While waiting for some input from those who are much more in-the-know than I, I've taken a chance and let the clock run for more than 24 hours at this point. On its own, with no attention whatsoever from me, the clock now goes 23 pendulum swings before "engaging," a noticible improvement from my previous post. The movement has no detectable oil anywhere, so I'm in a bit of a quandry as to how the piece seems to be loosening up on its own. Any help with the above questions or this one? Thanks so much.

Peace always,

George

eskmill

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Aug 24, 2000
Region
George. For what it is worth, the norm for the Poole or Barr battery clock is 24 strokes per hit. Some owners have reported forty strokes per hit which is exceptional. Too it depends on if you are counting pendulum cycles (left-to-right-to left) which advances the hands ratchet wheel or if you count half a cycle or pendulum strokes.

I've owned two and serviced two or three more....one a 117 VAC non-battery version Barr. I'm happy to quit fussing with them if it runs without stopping. Does this make me an expert? :whistle: (no way!)

Two that were the most fussy did not have original pendulums. The only place I oil, is the roller pivot because in my view, it gets a heavy impact load. One I serviced had rust on the pivot indicating "fretting corrosion," the red rust that we see on electromagnet armatures that slap the core.

The best service guide is that which was written up in the NAWCC Bulletin several years ago.

You are fortunate to have mastered the Poole battery clock. :thumb:

George Nelson

NAWCC Member
Deceased
Oct 5, 2007
Tennessee
Country
Region
Hi, Les

Many thanks for your information. I'll rest a little easier now, knowing that things are OK with my timepiece. I find the unit most interesting. and am especially appreciative of the quality and ingenious design that the movement exhibits. It will hold a prominent place in my collection! I've located a nice wooden shelf of the same color as the base of my clock, and of a depth that will nicely accomodate the size of the timepiece. To complete my display, I'd like to locate a vintage D battery or two. I'm sure that a persistent online auction search will turn up one or two that will look nice beside the Poole. Thanks again for your help and for so freely sharing your knowledge and experience with us! George