• The NAWCC Museum and Library & Research Center are currently open. Please check the Visiting Schedule for Days and Hours at the bottom of the Visit Page.

Barr & Poole Poole clock mystery

glr1109

Jun 2, 2002
Genoa, NY
Country
Region
I recently purchased a 1920's, Poole-Executive Model,Made in NYC clock. The serial number on the back of the front plate and the base label,is 1324. However to the left of that serial number is another, 1109, which has been struck out.

In comparing it with an identical model(serial number 1321), it is full of contradictions.

1st. 1321 has a single contact
1324 has double contacts
According to the literature that I have, the double contacts did not come into use until the move to Ithaca and serial numbers 1700+, and shows a #1481 with a single contact.

The front plates on both clocks are identical, other similarities are:
* the dials
*the design of the way the suspension spring is
held.
* the Hipp/Toggle
* the knife/latch
* the direction of the impulse from the gravity arm(both "pull", rather than push the impulse pin)
* toggle arm
* extended arbor for seconds bit(although 1321 is smaller in diameter)

Differences include:
* Shape of the gravity arm
* Shape of the crutch
* contacts
* ratchet wheel
* Pedulums: 1321 is cylindrical
1324 is disk

Overall the clock is in very nice condition and if I did not have the literature or the #1321 would not question it. Any comments?

glr1109

Jun 2, 2002
Genoa, NY
Country
Region
I recently purchased a 1920's, Poole-Executive Model,Made in NYC clock. The serial number on the back of the front plate and the base label,is 1324. However to the left of that serial number is another, 1109, which has been struck out.

In comparing it with an identical model(serial number 1321), it is full of contradictions.

1st. 1321 has a single contact
1324 has double contacts
According to the literature that I have, the double contacts did not come into use until the move to Ithaca and serial numbers 1700+, and shows a #1481 with a single contact.

The front plates on both clocks are identical, other similarities are:
* the dials
*the design of the way the suspension spring is
held.
* the Hipp/Toggle
* the knife/latch
* the direction of the impulse from the gravity arm(both "pull", rather than push the impulse pin)
* toggle arm
* extended arbor for seconds bit(although 1321 is smaller in diameter)

Differences include:
* Shape of the gravity arm
* Shape of the crutch
* contacts
* ratchet wheel
* Pedulums: 1321 is cylindrical
1324 is disk

Overall the clock is in very nice condition and if I did not have the literature or the #1321 would not question it. Any comments?