Barr & Poole Poole battery powered clock

Discussion in 'Electric Horology' started by Martin R Walport, Sep 3, 2004.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. For the new NAWCC home page
    Click this image at the upper left corner of this page.
  1. #1 Martin R Walport, Sep 3, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 7, 2017
    A customer has just brought in a clock marked
    on the dial and at the base of the dial
    It is powered by 3 D cells and is made of Bakelite on a round base and large glass dome. The dial is silvered with a subsiduary seconds dial at the top and a heavy brass covered, lead pendulum, and is suspended, along with the movement from a bracket, coming up from the base. These clocks maybe well known in the States but it is the fisrt one I have seen here! (Glasgow - Scotland) Can anyone tell me any history regarding this company or their clocks.Thank you.

2. #2 Martin R Walport, Sep 3, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 7, 2017
    A customer has just brought in a clock marked
    on the dial and at the base of the dial
    It is powered by 3 D cells and is made of Bakelite on a round base and large glass dome. The dial is silvered with a subsiduary seconds dial at the top and a heavy brass covered, lead pendulum, and is suspended, along with the movement from a bracket, coming up from the base. These clocks maybe well known in the States but it is the fisrt one I have seen here! (Glasgow - Scotland) Can anyone tell me any history regarding this company or their clocks.Thank you.

3. eskmill

eskmill Registered User
    NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member

Aug 24, 2000
    Region Flag:
    There's quite a bit of discussion available from previous queries about the Poole and Barr battery pendulum clocks. Use the "search" facility of this bulletin board using "POOLE" for an argument. Poole's granddaughter is one searching for information. On the Poole clock. Her contributions and from others are a valuable and interesting resource on the Poole clock.

4. glr1109

glr1109 Registered User

Jun 2, 2002
    Clock Repairman
    Genoa, NY
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I'm sure you've found(by search) quite a lot of information on the history of Poole as described by "Eckmill". I would be interested in seeing a photo of the clock and knowing the serial number. As far as repairing of the clocks(in my experiance), the major "faults" in the running of the clocks,are: 1)dirty movements. 2)adjustments to the springs. 3)Someone has oiled the movement(oiling is not recommended). Another common problem is corrosion of the battery compartments. Missing battery covers is also fairly common.

Greg

5. Greg
    As you mentioned, corrossion to terminals, dirty, requires cleaning and lubricating. (although working at moment!)
    The ref number is 4475, at least I pressume this is the correct number. See enclosed image. I would be glad to see any comments you may have.

6. Side image of Poole clock as discussed.

7. glr1109

glr1109 Registered User

Jun 2, 2002
    Clock Repairman
    Genoa, NY
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Nice looking clock. Actually the company recommended not lubricating the movement. I follow these recommendations. I have only had to place a bushing in one movement. Must be clean! The tough part is making the adjustments. I have gotten to the point of "straightening" everything(suspension rod, adjustment tabs, etc.) before I start trying to adjust the movement. Seems to make it easier for me.

Greg

8. Thanks for the advice. Thats what I love about horology. Always something new (or should that be old?) around the corner!

Martin