• The NAWCC Museum and Library & Research Center will reopen starting Wednesday, January 6, 2021 as per Governor Wolf's reopening mandate.

Barr & Poole Poole - Battery case cover

Ditto Designs

Apr 3, 2004
Hello there - I'm in the process of restoring a Poole Executive - and it's missing what I presume would be a battery retainer/cover on the support column. Would anyone have a picture, or reference of what this would be made of, and what it would look like? Thanks for the assistance.

glr1109

Jun 2, 2002
Genoa, NY
Country
Region
They are usually made of "Morsite", mfd. by Morse Ind. of Ithaca. Morsite is Morse's answer to Bakalite

I've been looking for one for a couple of years now, but no luck. Since this is the most common part missing on these clocks...I eventually made of from Black Walnut. Although its not "proper"...it works for me until I find one.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/18148309@N00/?saved=1

Ditto Designs

Apr 3, 2004
Thanks for the information and the pictures - the top you made looks pretty authentic. The interesting thing is that the Executive model that I have, has the top portion of the battery terminal located in the top of the column..there isn't a separate "top" per se. The piece that I'm interested in getting information about is the "back" of the column - it is open the full length, down to the base of the clock. So I'm not sure that this battery cavity would have been covered or not, and if so I would guess that it would be about 1-1/2" wide, and about 6" in length and slip over the back of the column. And to be honest, I'm not that familiar with the clock and it may not have even had this "back" piece in the original design - so I may be all wet on this request. However, I really do appreciate the information. Thanks, Mike

glr1109

Jun 2, 2002
Genoa, NY
Country
Region
The cap in the photo is an original, not the one I made.

Your right about there being another style. Yours would have had a back on it that "snapped" by friction into place. I do not have one of these...sorry

BAC

Sep 24, 2006
I have several Poole versions with full cases rather than a base and dome. One is Morsite, one is wood cathedral style, one is wood four glass and none have a battery cover. While it is possible they have all been lost, there is no obvious means of attachment and no marks of any kind which would indicate a snap-on cover. I suspect the batteries were left exposed. I am at another residence at the moment, but will be happy to check and let you know more specifically what the back of my Executive model looks like.

Ditto Designs

Apr 3, 2004
BAC Sorry for the delay in responding to your reply - I would certainly appreciate any information that you can provide. Thanks.

BAC

Sep 24, 2006
Checked out all three Poole clocks since my last post. None have any unaccounted for holes or marks indicative of missing covers. One has a center spring clip to help keep the batteries from falling out. It is possible they are all missing something, but my guess is that the backs were left open intentionally. How many of the clocks with enclosed battery cases escaped damage, often terminal, from leaking batteries? I'll send photos if you like.

Ditto Designs

Apr 3, 2004
Thanks for the follow-up - I just assumed that there was a cover for the batteries, on a real close look, I found no evidence of rub / scratch marks anywhere along the support column, so I think you are correct that these particular models did not have a back cover. The battery contact clips are quite large and do exhibit a lot of pressure on the battery stack - and I've yet to have any of them pop out. Mystery solved, and one less thing to have to make... thanks so much for the time and information. Mike