Chronometry: Poll: Should most "here's my chronometer" posts go into the Gallery thread?

Discussion in 'Chronometers' started by Luis Casillas, Dec 22, 2015.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
?

Should "Here's my chronometer" posts be directed to the Gallery thread?

Poll closed Dec 29, 2015.
  1. Yes

2 vote(s)
    20.0%
  2. No

4 vote(s)
    40.0%
  3. No preference

4 vote(s)
    40.0%
  1. Luis Casillas

Luis Casillas Registered User

Oct 16, 2012
    Software
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The question has come up whether we should be collecting the majority of "Here's my chronometer"—style posts into the Gallery thread at the top of the subforum. I don't know what the participants here prefer—there's no lack of posts to that thread nor of independently submitted topics, so I can't imagine there's a consensus. I'm happy to hear any opinions about it.

My thoughts so far:
    1. Clearly there must be some criteria to guide the decision whether to post something as a separate thread or into the Gallery thread. I'm not certain what that criteria should be, but one candidate would be that questions or research go into their own thread.
    2. However, it is worth noting that the old "My New Watch" section had a similar rule to this, proved to be cumbersome and was abandoned.
    3. Often when forums institute a catch-all "here's my thing" thread like this they do so because they're being overwhelmed with small submissions of the same format. I don't think our subforum is being overwhelmed.

I've posted a poll along with this, but I'll be first to note that the options are vague about policy and exceptions, so I'd like to hear your thoughts about this.

2. Jim Haney

Jim Haney Registered User
    NAWCC Member Donor

Sep 21, 2002
    Male
    Working the farm, Garden,horses, goats, chickens,
    Decatur, TN.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Luis,
    Thank you for your thoughts and sharing the insights of your opinions.

As a moderator for many years in these forums I have found that if someone wants to start up a popular theme they post about it and for several days those who would not normally have an opinion join the BANDWAGON of popularly and post positive about whatever cause is being discussed.

The permanent (sticky) threads at the top of forums can't be so numerous or they do lose their effectiveness.

If everyone posts pictures of their timepiece it would become so burdensome that it would almost be impossible to look at all the pictures and post and in effect, would be like the regular threads in the forum, in that you would have to use the SEARCH tool to look for something specific.

Pictures usually draw questions and thus they become educational threads instead of just posts that show pictures.

Lets don't forget that we have a GALLERY tab at the top for those who want to post pictures and there is also the Community TAB that has a drop down menu for pictures.

BTW, Luis has agreed to Moderate this forum and I am so glad to have some great quality help. If any of you have the chance to read some of his posts in the watch forums you will see we have a very talented new moderator to help us.

3. doug sinclair

doug sinclair Registered User

Aug 27, 2000
    Calgary, Alberta
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Having a marine chronometer gallery was Burt's good idea. It occurred t me that, unless the gallery was made a sticky, it would soon be buried in the forum, and posters would either forget about it, or not know about it. But when it comes right down to it, I think people who wish to post pictures of chronometers, should feel free to post wherever they wish. The advantage of having a sticky gallery would be to assist people in finding information about chronometers from makers they didn't know existed. Without having to go through hundreds of threads over dozens of pages. I voted no preference. Translated, I feel posters should put their pictures where they wish.

4. MartyR

MartyR Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Dec 16, 2008
    UK
    Country Flag:
    I guess Doug's last comment is right, but since the subject has been raised it would be useful to establish a view on the Gallery thread.

I'm not clear on its purpose, nor on how it was intended to be used. Perhaps those who proposed it should expound on that.

5. harold bain

harold bain Registered User
    NAWCC Member Deceased

Nov 4, 2002
    Male
    deceased
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The title of the thread "picture gallery" kind of says it all. It should be only pictures, with perhaps a link to any discussion about the pictured items.