Polishing wheels?

Ken M

Feb 28, 2009
Holiday, FL
Country
Region
How do you polish the wheels, or does the ultrasonic do it all?

Wayne A

NAWCC Member
Sep 24, 2019
Country
Region
Ultrasonic will clean um up fairly well and I don't polish them unless they are extra grungy. Always polish the main spring barrel though using wool wheel on dremel with little simichrome.

Ken M

Feb 28, 2009
Holiday, FL
Country
Region

DeanT

Mar 22, 2009
Australia
Country
Region
I use a thin piece of leather with some polishing compound (autosol etc). One end is anchored in a vice etc and polish between the teeth and the crossings etc.

Reactions: Ken M

turboflyer

NAWCC Member
Feb 17, 2016
Country
If it’s a show piece, where things can be seen and everything else is polished I have done it by hand and in a lathe . I have used semi chrome and blue magic with great results . Unless you are going to carefully lacquer or use metal bright the glow is fleeting. Some use Renaissance wax though I have not tried that. Teeth need to be kept clean of the lacquer or metal bright, can’t speak on the wax. That said sometimes I wounded if I am the only one who looks at the wheels.

DeanT

Mar 22, 2009
Australia
Country
Region
If it’s a show piece, where things can be seen and everything else is polished I have done it by hand and in a lathe . I have used semi chrome and blue magic with great results . Unless you are going to carefully lacquer or use metal bright the glow is fleeting. Some use Renaissance wax though I have not tried that. Teeth need to be kept clean of the lacquer or metal bright, can’t speak on the wax. That said sometimes I wounded if I am the only one who looks at the wheels.
its the first place I look as its easy to see how much care the restorer has used.

Reactions: turboflyer

Mike Phelan

Dec 17, 2003
West Yorkshire, England
Country
Region
How do you polish the wheels, or does the ultrasonic do it all?
I've never used an ultrasonic, just three clock brushes.
(a) Stiff brush 1 with liquid Brasso including teeth.
(b) Wash brasso off with IPA or petrol - brush 2.
(c) Brush with chalk - available from most suppliers - brush 3.

Blow chalk dust off - this will keep its polish for years.

Reactions: Ken M

Ingulphus

May 29, 2006
Oakland, CA
Country
Region
I use a cleaning solution in my ultrasonic called Polychem Deox-007, which brightens tarnished brass beautifully. I bought it from Timesavers years ago, and still have a little over half a gallon (the ratio is one part cleaner to four parts water). And it's biodegradable. Rinse in hot water and dry with a heat gun or blow dryer, and you'll have much less of an effort to polish.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acroteau
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller