• The NAWCC Museum and Library & Research Center are currently open. Please check the Visiting Schedule for Days and Hours at the bottom of the Visit Page.

Polishing Ship's Clock

JST

NAWCC Member
Jun 29, 2003
Country
Region
Well, it’s time to polish my circa-1950 Chelsea ship’s clock and I’m in need of advice on how to proceed. I restored it in 2006 and it’s gotten a few light finger prints on it since then. I want to clean the brass before it becomes worse. It doesn’t have a lacquer finish; a look that I like. From research on this message board I know not to use Brasso. I also saw one recommendation for "SIMICHROME". Does anybody have other recommendations on brass cleaners? Also, I’m wondering if I need to use a buffing wheel or can I buff by hand. I’d appreciate any advice.

Thanks

Reactions: Tolly

Andy Dervan

Gibbs Literary Award
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Member
Oct 23, 2002
Country
Region
Hello JST,

I have used "Never Dull" to polish brass. It comes in a metal can and looks like cotton impregnated with a brass cleaner. It removes tarnish and seems to protect the brass. I did my Chelsea ship's bell a couple of years ago, and it still looks good except places where I unscrew bezel each week to wind it.

I would never use power tool to buff, because it will abrade the brass.

Andy Dervan

David Robertson

Jan 6, 2003
Country
Region
Andy said:

Andy Dervan
Also... unless you are skilled at using a buffing wheel, you can end up with something that is across the room, embedded in a wall, looking decidedly like a piece of scrap!!:)

Semichrome is also good stuff (as is Never Dull)..

Kristin D

Jan 27, 2008
Never dull is the stuff you want, my brother worked as a curator at Washington's Headquarters National Park in Morristown NJ and that is all they used to clean anything from gun parts to buttons. The magic ingrediants seem to loosen tarnish without rubbing off metal. By all means stay away from any abrasive or buffing wheels they can leave nasty scratches or actual burn marks on metals.

Kristin

JST

NAWCC Member
Jun 29, 2003
Country
Region
Thanks everybody for your quick responses. I've never heard of "Never Dull", but a quick Google shows that I can buy it a lot of places, including Amazon. In addition to your endorsements, it got excellent ratings on Amazon. I also appreciate your advice on the buffing wheel. I'll stay away from that.

Has anybody used Simichrome? It was mentioned in another thread.

Thanks.

David Robertson

Jan 6, 2003
Country
Region
JST said:
Has anybody used Simichrome? It was mentioned in another thread.

Thanks.
Yes.. it is a very good polish. Preferred by many... very gentle.

TEACLOCKS

NAWCC Member
Mar 22, 2005
Santa Rosa Calif.
www.weserviceallclocks.com
Country
Region
This clock looked like a piece of wood it was so tarnished.
I took the ring, rungs, bezel & glass, & movement apart and put it all in my sonic cleaner/W ammoniated cleaner then my wenol all purpose metal polish. It polished up so easy I think its the ammonia, it losens the tarnish or something.
Good luck with yours

Attachments

fixoclox

NAWCC Member
Apr 4, 2007
East Rockaway ,NY
fixoclox.net
Country
TEACLOCKS said:
This clock looked like a piece of wood it was so tarnished.
I took the ring, rungs, bezel & glass, & movement apart and put it all in my sonic cleaner/W ammoniated cleaner then my wenol all purpose metal polish. It polished up so easy I think its the ammonia, it losens the tarnish or something.
Good luck with yours
Teaclocks
Made in germany the wenzol is the best metal polish I have found a bit pricey and a little hard to find, but blows the others away. This polish also protects longer than the others. If you want to protect even further use a high grade canubra wax to protect from our oily fingerprints.

LloydB

Feb 24, 2006
La Crosse, Wisconsin's West Coast
Country
Region
JST said:
Well, it’s time to polish my circa-1950 Chelsea ship’s clock and I’m in need of advice on how to proceed. I restored it in 2006 and it’s gotten a few light finger prints on it since then. I want to clean the brass before it becomes worse. It doesn’t have a lacquer finish; a look that I like. From research on this message board I know not to use Brasso. I also saw one recommendation for "SIMICHROME". Does anybody have other recommendations on brass cleaners? Also, I’m wondering if I need to use a buffing wheel or can I buff by hand. I’d appreciate any advice.

Thanks
Here's another vote for Never-Dull. I've used it to polish
*Nickel* fittings in a very different context, and rarely on
nickel silver PW cases. It greatly increases the time before
another polishing is needed, compared to other products.

When I've used Brasso or other polishes, unless I'm *very*
careful about cleaning off any residue, I start to see tarnishing
within days -- from the polish itself.

timemachine

Feb 12, 2008
If anyone wants great results in polishing brass and isn't afraid to get their fingers dirty. I have no way to compare these to Never Dull, never tried it, but I'll bet on any of these three to be better. All of these polishes are made in Germany, and work fantastic, but if your not careful you will get dirty fingers! That I will guarantee. On gold and silver they look wet when your done, small scratches will be gone also. I first used Happich Simichrome years ago for the wheels on my BMW motorcycle, they were spoke wheels but the rims were magnesium. Three Great Polishes Simichrome Polish, Dursol Metal Polish,Wenol Metal Polish. Your metal will shine, your fingers will be BLACK! All these come in a tube like tooth paste.

Hope this helps. If you have trouble finding these try a good automotive shop / store / speed shop or motorcycle shop. Also Google them.
Good Luck
Rgds. Paul

Tolly

Aug 27, 2020
Kingsport, Tennessee
Country
Region
Hello JST,

I have used "Never Dull" to polish brass. It comes in a metal can and looks like cotton impregnated with a brass cleaner. It removes tarnish and seems to protect the brass. I did my Chelsea ship's bell a couple of years ago, and it still looks good except places where I unscrew bezel each week to wind it.

Andy Dervan
THANK YOU, tolly!

Tolly

Aug 27, 2020
Kingsport, Tennessee
Country
Region
Hello JST,

Andy Dervan
THANK YOU, tolly!

Tolly

Aug 27, 2020
Kingsport, Tennessee
Country
Region
Teaclocks
Made in germany the wenzol is the best metal polish I have found a bit pricey and a little hard to find, but blows the others away. This polish also protects longer than the others. If you want to protect even further use a high grade canubra wax to protect from our oily fingerprints.
THANK YOU, tolly!

Tolly

Aug 27, 2020
Kingsport, Tennessee
Country
Region
If anyone wants great results in polishing brass and isn't afraid to get their fingers dirty. I have no way to compare these to Never Dull, never tried it, but I'll bet on any of these three to be better. All of these polishes are made in Germany, and work fantastic, but if your not careful you will get dirty fingers! That I will guarantee. On gold and silver they look wet when your done, small scratches will be gone also. I first used Happich Simichrome years ago for the wheels on my BMW motorcycle, they were spoke wheels but the rims were magnesium. Three Great Polishes Simichrome Polish, Dursol Metal Polish,Wenol Metal Polish. Your metal will shine, your fingers will be BLACK! All these come in a tube like tooth paste.

Hope this helps. If you have trouble finding these try a good automotive shop / store / speed shop or motorcycle shop. Also Google them.
Good Luck
Rgds. Paul
THANK YOU, tolly!

Tolly

Aug 27, 2020
Kingsport, Tennessee
Country
Region

Good Luck
Rgds. Paul
THANK YOU, tolly!