polish paste? Flavor of the day.....

Ken M

Feb 28, 2009
Holiday, FL
Country
Region
I've been using Maas as that is what was recommended 15 years ago, but I'm out. What are you all using these days? Is semichrome a good paste?

Schatznut

NAWCC Member
Sep 26, 2020
SoCal
Country
Region
I use Meguiar's Ultra-cut car polish. Great stuff and you can buy it at Harbor Freight. Yes, Simichrome polish is also great stuff, but very expensive for no more than you get.

Reactions: Ken M

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
Maas includes an ingredient to extend the finish and is non-abrasive. I like it, and use it when I want to shine brass. Of course any polishing job should include a final wax or lacquer finish.

sjaffe

Dec 25, 2012
Santa Rosa,CA
Country
Region
I had used Maas for many years. Recently I had to replace this and decided to go with Simichrome this time. I think they are similar. I bought both online. I use Renaissance Wax after polishing to delay tarnishing and preserve . I have also used Johnson's Paste Wax. This is all after I have used buffing wheels and buffing compound (another thread topic?).

Stan

Ken M

Feb 28, 2009
Holiday, FL
Country
Region
I just used Blue Magic on a 1000 day base that was black. I think I worked less than I would have with Maas, and it's affordable and a half mile up the road! I'm sold. Flitz is also half mile up the road, if I ever decide to try it.

KurtinSA

NAWCC Member
Nov 24, 2014
San Antonio, TX
Country
Region
Whenever the old lacquer has really gone south, I have to resort to other chemicals to cut through it. I've been using a gel-based paint stripper...that way I can control where it goes and keep it away from the plastic in the base or whatever is sandwiched between the brass. It takes some time, and I usually let it sit for at least a couple of hours...sometimes I have to go a second time. Anyway, this helps to reduce the amount of elbow grease needed with the paste/polish.

Kurt

Reactions: Ken M

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kevsun
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Weekly News 7/7/19 by Tom McIntyre