pocket/wrist watch?

W

wheeble

Hello- We have this old watch-1917-1927? Serial # on movement is 22405292, gold in color with blue hands,missing chrystal,all hands present,open face, engraved on back(EOM), on movement is "Elgin U.S.A.". Case is "Star, waranted 20 years and then has 3/0 and #4257732. From what little experience I have I think it is a size 0, only maybe an inch to an inch and a half diamater. I tried to post a picture from the digital camera but couldn't get it from the camera to the message board. My main ? is -This watch has a loop on the bottom at the 6 o'clock hour and a jeweler around here said it was put there to use as a wrist watch or as a pocket watch, it has the same bow as a pocket watch and just looks really unique. Is there many watches this style out there, any info. anyone may have regarding this style would be interesting- thanks karen and karl

W

wheeble

Hello- We have this old watch-1917-1927? Serial # on movement is 22405292, gold in color with blue hands,missing chrystal,all hands present,open face, engraved on back(EOM), on movement is "Elgin U.S.A.". Case is "Star, waranted 20 years and then has 3/0 and #4257732. From what little experience I have I think it is a size 0, only maybe an inch to an inch and a half diamater. I tried to post a picture from the digital camera but couldn't get it from the camera to the message board. My main ? is -This watch has a loop on the bottom at the 6 o'clock hour and a jeweler around here said it was put there to use as a wrist watch or as a pocket watch, it has the same bow as a pocket watch and just looks really unique. Is there many watches this style out there, any info. anyone may have regarding this style would be interesting- thanks karen and karl

G

GandalfPC

I have seen a bunch of Elgins like that - not sure if other companies made them also. Also 3/0 is a valid size (about 1 1/10 inches) just two steps below 0 size.

Jason Goldman
Apprentice Watchmaker

Jerry Treiman

NAWCC Member
Golden Circle
Aug 25, 2000
Los Angeles, CA
Country
Region
This style of case was used a lot by Waltham for several of the ladies sizes (6/0, 3/0, and 0-size). It was meant as a more versatile watch that could be worn as a wristwatch or a pendant watch. On one Waltham-patented variant the lower loop could fold into the case body and become invisible. Otherwise a small bauble could be hung from the bottom loop if worn as a pendant or lapel watch. At least with Waltham, their 3/0 size was mechanically the same as their 0-size and used all of the same parts, other than the watch plates.

W

wheeble

Are these watches "worth" collecting or are there a whole lot of them out there? Thanks for the reply---

M

michael h schneider

"Are these watches "worth" collecting or are there a whole lot of them out there?"

Yes, and yes.

There are a bunch of them out there, in a bunch of different varieties.

Yes, they're worth collecting, at least to me. I have several 0 and 3/0 size watches with lugs soldered on, I strap them to my wrist and tell time by 'em. I know females who use the little bows on top and bottom with a thin metal link band, put 'em on their wrist, and wear 'em. They think they're nifty keen and pretty. So do I.

Will you make millions of dollars collecting them? Sorry, I don't know, and frankly, as Rhett said, "we can't discuss values on this board"o

W

wheeble

Yes mine looks similar to yours, but no where near as beatiful as a restored one!!! Yours is gorgeous! I was just curious cause I haven't seen many with the loop thing on the bottom. Thanks for your help..Karen and Karl

W

wheeble

Michael, Thank You for your input, I appreciate it. I'm not looking for a value estimate as this watch I will probably never give up. I was just curious, being a newby to this hobby, about this type of watch and if they were very popular as I haven't seen many of them on the sites I have visited.Thanks, Karen and Karl

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jerrydodge
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller