pocket watch

barbandkevin

Apr 22, 2009
I have an antique pocket watch that I dont know a lot about,it says D.E Black & co ltd calgary on the outside and on the inside, with a few sets of numbers and an egg shaped picture with what appears to be wings. can anyone tell me anything about this watch?

Last edited by a moderator:

doug sinclair

Aug 27, 2000
Calgary, Alberta
Country
Region
Kevin,

I believe I spoke to you earlier, on Wednesday. You sent me a picture of the watch with the back off, exposing the movement. When we spoke, you indicated that you had done some research, and that you knew quite a bit about early Calgary jeweller, D. E. Black. I indicated to you when we spoke that D. E. Black used Longines and Omega movements in their "house brand" watches. They also used many other Swiss made movements by other manufacturers. The movement in your watch I identified as having been made by the Omega Watch Co., although the movement is not marked with the Omega name. It is the same movement as was used in "Regina" watches which were also sold in Canada. You described the trade mark inside the case back as being A W C Co. which was the trade mark for the American Watch Case Co., a Canadian firm. I believe the trade mark you described is the "winged wheel" trade mark. I believe it indicates the quality of the gold filled finish on the case.
I have uploaded a picture of your watch from your email.

Doug S.

Attachments

Last edited:

harold

Mar 12, 2001
I replied under the American Watch section. Here is a picture of the
D.E. Black store.

Attachments

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member