Pocket Watch Parts Identification

Discussion in 'Watch Repair' started by piedmontg, Nov 8, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. piedmontg

piedmontg Registered User

Jun 14, 2009
    Hi
    I have done a number of searches looking for general parts identification sources. From the results it seems many of you have some manual (for example Illustrated Manual of American Watch Movements) or other source of information. Most folks just ask about a specific watch and the information is provided.
    As I am just getting into cleaning and repairing (took the first course at Columbia and taking the second one soon).

I tried to find, what I thought would be simple, just a mainspring number for a watch. I found many suppliers ( Juels Borel, CasKer) but they assumed you knew the part number.

My question I hope is simple, other than the above manual, is there an on line source for general part information by manufacturer. For example, a Illinois, type 3 Bunn Special model 14 60 hour mainspring or hairspring.

Are there other part sources I am missing?

Thanks
    Bob

2. musicguy

musicguy Moderator
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jan 12, 2017
    New York State
    Country Flag:
    Moving to watch repair for better results

Rob

3. darrahg

darrahg Moderator
    NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member

Dec 22, 2006
    retired
    Houston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I have two book cases full of watch and clock manuals that deal in parts and repair with some history thrown in to boot. I believe at some point these parts references will be listed in pdf files but not at present from what I can find. Your best bet is to do a search on this thread with "Bunn model 14" or something similar. (click the magnifying glass in the uppermost right for searching) One reference sites the number 47309 for a model 14.

4. richiec

richiec Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 24, 2007
    Male
    automotive warranty inspector
    Brick, Ocean, NJ
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    piedmontg, Being I collect mostly American watches, I have collected multiple years of Waltham parts books(1885, 1909, 1940 and 1954), Elgin parts(1915?) and a couple of Illinois I also have one Hampden book along with the Swigart parts book from about 1951 which is still for sale if you look around. It covers many of the more popular, post 1900 pocket watches. Takes a while to get your feet fully wet.

5. piedmontg

piedmontg Registered User

Jun 14, 2009
    Thanks for the input, I will be on the lookout for books. I found the Swigart book on line for $12 so ordered it. It seems everyone is most helpful on the site so if I have a specific request I will just ask.

Bob

Kevin W. likes this.