Pocket Watch Pallet Fork Vibrating

Charles K

Apr 6, 2021
Country
I'm work on a 15j Elgin 6/0s movement for a friend. As I've got it back together, I'm running into a issue with the pallet fork vibrating. I have attached a short video showing the vibrating problem, when it should just be locking back and forth as it is tapped. In the repair and servicing of this watch, I did have to remove one of the pallet fork jewels in order to clean out the setting which was full of caked oils and I reinserted it afterwards. Does anyone have any ideas?

Attachments

musicguy

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jan 12, 2017
New York State
Country
I have moved this thread to watch repair for best answers.

Rob

Reactions: Charles K

Charles K

Apr 6, 2021
Country
I'll take a look at that to see if there any chips to indicate a broken stone. is it possible to move the stone forward in the fork or would it just slip back to the same problem in time?

roughbarked

Dec 2, 2016
Western NSW or just this side of the black stump.
Country
Region
I'll take a look at that to see if there any chips to indicate a broken stone. is it possible to move the stone forward in the fork or would it just slip back to the same problem in time?
It is possible to move the stone yes. This is most likely what has happened. You have positioned the stone too deep in the fork.
Search for shellac and setting pallet stones. There's bound to be stuff on the forum about it.

Last edited:

Charles K

Apr 6, 2021
Country
I did confirm that the exist stone was chipped. Luckily, i had another pallet fork that would work in the watch and now, the train is holding the mainspring power well.

Reactions: roughbarked

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danarog
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last page
Hard Life for Wristwatches by Roy Gardner