Pocket watch not working

Lucjan

Jan 17, 2021
Country
Hello, I'm new to the hobby of repairing watches and I tried to repair a Vogt pocket watch. I disasembled and manualy cleaned the watch and then reasembled and oild it. The problem is that the watch does not run and the mainspring barrel for some reason dont wants to turn so the watch cant be unwound and dosent run. Any ideas why? IMG_1.jpg

Skutt50

Mar 14, 2008
Gothenburg
Country
Welcome to the forum....

You need to tell us a bit more about what you have done....

- Did you take the entire watch apart, i.e. you had the mainspring barrel removed, disassembled etc....

- If I understand you correctly you could wind it after assembly but now you can't let the mainspring down.

- Is the barrel stuck or does it move a tiny bit. Could it be that you can't move the click enough to free the ratchet wheel?

- Is there any force on the wheel train i.e. do the wheels want to move or are they all loose?

- Are all screws in the right place. Sometimes some screws are shorter and if you fit a long screw it may lock and/or even damage parts.

Before you do anything else I would suggest that you remove the balance wheel not to cause any damage to it when you play with the rest of the movement........

Reactions: Lucjan

Lucjan

Jan 17, 2021
Country
Welcome to the forum....

You need to tell us a bit more about what you have done....

- Did you take the entire watch apart, i.e. you had the mainspring barrel removed, disassembled etc....

- If I understand you correctly you could wind it after assembly but now you can't let the mainspring down.

- Is the barrel stuck or does it move a tiny bit. Could it be that you can't move the click enough to free the ratchet wheel?

- Is there any force on the wheel train i.e. do the wheels want to move or are they all loose?

- Are all screws in the right place. Sometimes some screws are shorter and if you fit a long screw it may lock and/or even damage parts.

Before you do anything else I would suggest that you remove the balance wheel not to cause any damage to it when you play with the rest of the movement........
1) Yes, but I didnt take the mainspring out of the barrel.
2)Yes.
3) The click is not stuck and the barrel dosent move.
4) It seems that theres no force on the wheel train but the wheels cant be turned.
5) I think that the screws are in the right place ( its the first not cilinder balance watch that i disasembled so I may be mistaken)

Skutt50

Mar 14, 2008
Gothenburg
Country
Try to loosen the screws holding the barrel bridge a turn or two to see if that frees the barrel.

Just be careful. Don't loosen them so much that the center wheel loose contact with the barrel threads........

Also check if the center wheel can be moved a tiny bit or if it seems stuck.

Last edited:

Lucjan

Jan 17, 2021
Country
Try to loosen the screws holding the barrel bridge a turn or two to see if that frees the barrel.
I loosened the screws and was able to unwind the mainspring but during unwinding the barrel wasnt turning and the wheel train wasnt turning.And the center wheel can be moved a tiny bit.

Last edited:

Skutt50

Mar 14, 2008
Gothenburg
Country
You need to remove the barrel and mainspring and clean, inspect and relube.

- The barrel lid may have come loose.
- There could be a damaged tooth on the barrel bridge.
- You might have missed something in the asembly that squeeze the barrel when you tighten the barrel bridge.....
- Also remove the crown wheel and test the barrel for free movement.

I would also suggest you remove the pallet fork so you can test the entire gear train from mainspring barrel to escape wheel. If you put a small preassure on the barrel the escape wheel should start to spinn.

When the winding mechanism is back, a turn of the crown should give the escape wheel a good spinn, let it come to a distinct halt and reverse a little..... Then you have a smooth gear train and you can put the ecapement back.

Edit: If this does not work you might need to take the entire movement apart and mount only the mainspring barrel to find out what is jamming it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Costin
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
NAWCC Online Structure and Operation by Tom McIntyre